Topic: Request: Method to save user impulses

It seems if I save/share a preset using custom impulse response, it will not include the impulse file....so I assume the original file location is being referenced.  Would Modarrt consider saving the impulse with the 'effects preset' as one file?  This way moving to another computer or sharing presets just requires copying the user bank folder(s).

My niche method of preset and project management is continuity, using my own 'cloud server' (NAS) to sync presets between computers.  I use the desktop for sound design at home, and laptop for working outside.  Having all elements of a preset within the same folder really helps keep it simple for the user.

Re: Request: Method to save user impulses

I do like that.

Like maybe a check-box in the

~"save reverb",
~the "save FX preset" and
~"save as full preset" pop-ups maybe..

worded something like "Include IR file with preset".

Definitely see value in it being a choice for each 'reverb', 'full FX' and 'full' presets.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Modartt allows one to save and even rename the included reverbs and their settings. If they allowed us to save an arbitrarily imported reverb, say one that was purchased, there could be legal issues.

Good thinking.. I viewed that proposed method as 1:1 with a DAW.. where you may be prompted to 'import/keep/delete' external files used within a project.

A lot of IR files are not tethered to a specific reverb unit, or using proprietary file types nowadays.

My thought process didn't go into selling Pianoteq presets with IR files bundled. But, that feature wouldn't of itself make that possible. People could still sell a preset plus an IR file (without regard for legal restrictions) for example in some kind of bundle anyway..

The convenience, at least from my perspective (because I don't sell presets) would just be for working on my own presets, using IR files I purchased for 'use in any plugin'.. like mentioned, it's not so different to a DAW having a prompt when saving a project, to 'import/delete' any external files used within the project save location.. it's convenient - but also I guess it assumes the individual owns those files or the rights to incorporate them.

It would be hilarious though, to see a prompt like "Do you own that file, spotty?!" - but if a user clicks Yes when prompted to import.. in a court, maybe that implies easy "Guilty" verdicts? IDK honestly, how many of such court appearances happen though. Rare? Or are there really millions of 'spotty pirates' hauled in over this kind of thing?

Another tranche of thinking, takes me to the notion that, I'm not sure if there's much of a market for selling such presets - but if there was, those doing it right would last in that market whilst dastardly captain Lack Beard from the digital high seas wouldn't have too many paying customers before they got their service shut down by some legal order. *but maybe I'm naive about that market?

Worth pointing out maybe.. if users can have 3 legit installs of Pianoteq (lets also assume 3 different OS types, Linux/Mac/Win).. different directory structures.. like D: \ backslashes instead of E:/ forward slashes, different 'user file' folder locations (not just Pianoteq but the IR files.. it may not be possible to line up exactly the same 'placeholder' to refer to on 3 different machines).

So, on one machine, you bothered to set up your IR files, all your custom presets refer to those without error.. but you re-create that setup on your 2nd machine, and you realise "I have to manually edit each preset, to point to a different location".. then the same for machine 3. (or like jblongz, you make a NAT server, an 'own-cloud' solution). Users may own their IR files, and the rights to use them inside any apps, reverb plugins or other, which handle them.

That method exists (importing files to a DAW project - normal functionality ensues) so it's a small leap to see the same, for importing 'legit' IR files into presets for creative purposes.. at least that's kind of how I parse it.

Imagine a media agency tasked with designing a monthly publication for print.. the team is given the address to the intranet folders to acrue the necessary media kit (incl. photos or whatever text/pdf data and so on) and each begin to open their 'layout editors' etc.. but cannot work on anything because, when they attempt to 'import' the files into their project, they get denied by some prompt like "I'm afraid I can't do that.. the mission is of prime importance.. and I'm not sure you own those files, Dave." - what would you do? Call the manager and get a code or something.. I just think many creative tools work from the assumption that teams and individuals using those tools have the rights to the files they work with.. rather than being required to act as a kind of legal bollard stopping entry.

Interested to know what others think.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors