Topic: Sosteneto/sustain pedal

Got my Roland  3 pedal unit confgured, but noticed at oddity.

play a chord

Depress sustain pedal

Release chord.

While the chord continues to sound, the sound loses a bunch of something, resonance ?

Most striking in the bottom octave and a have.

I noticed this trying to do those E1-E2 , B2-G2-B3 , G1-G2., B2-G2-B3 in the left hand of prokofiev's "Montagues & Capulets"

What esle do you need to know to help me troubleshoot this?

I do NOT get a change in sound using the damper pedal.

Is this a bug in the model, or is there something I don't understand about this pedal

Last edited by s.g.botsford (14-04-2024 18:26)

Re: Sosteneto/sustain pedal

s.g.botsford wrote:

In my world, "damper pedal" is the same as "sustain pedal", the one on the right that lifts and holds all dampers off all strings, regardless of what's being played.

Depressing sustain after playing a chord will add some sympatheitc resonance response but not as much as if the sustain is engaged before the chord is played. As you expect, releasing the held keys should have no effect because the sustain pedal will continue to hold the dampers.

Which instrument pack and preset are you using, what keyboard, and are you certain you got the three outputs of the pedal unit plugged into the right jacks on your keyboard? It's the keyboard that generates the messages. None of them should have the effect you describe, but I would double-check anyway.

s.g.botsford wrote:

Got my Roland  3 pedal unit confgured, but noticed at oddity.

play a chord

Depress sustain pedal

Release chord.

While the chord continues to sound, the sound loses a bunch of something, resonance ?

Most striking in the bottom octave and a have.

I noticed this trying to do those E1-E2 , B2-G2-B3 , G1-G2., B2-G2-B3 in the left hand of prokofiev's "Montagues & Capulets"

What esle do you need to know to help me troubleshoot this?

Is this a bug in the model, or is there something I don't understand about this pedal

The effect is subtle but exists, The following picture compares the spectogram of same chord A minor with delayed pedal ( top spectrogram) compared with the same chord played with no sustain pedal  ( bottom spectogram). You can visualise the added partials.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mC6oEI...share_link

Pianistically wrote:

The effect is subtle but exists, The following picture compares the spectogram of same chord A minor with delayed pedal ( top spectrogram) compared with the same chord played with no sustain pedal

Yes but going the other way, releasing the keys after the pedal is depressed, should have no effect and doesn't to my ear. The OP is saying he hears a change though there should be no change in damping or resonance at that point.

brundlefly wrote:
Pianistically wrote:

The effect is subtle but exists, The following picture compares the spectogram of same chord A minor with delayed pedal ( top spectrogram) compared with the same chord played with no sustain pedal

Yes but going the other way, releasing the keys after the pedal is depressed, should have no effect and doesn't to my ear. The OP is saying he hears a change though there should be no change in damping or resonance at that point.

indeed release the keys should have no effects on sound and exempt maybe noise from the key itself when it comes back to original position.