Topic: Pianoteq 8.2 crash (Windows 11, ASIO4ALL)

Just bought and installed Pianoteq 8.2 Stage. I'm using ASIO4ALL because that's the only low-latency option I have available (WASAPI was not good enough). I got a crash after a few minutes of usage. A dialog box appeared with the following message:

---------------------------
Pianoteq STAGE v8.2.0/20240115 CRASH (ctrl-C to copy)
SEH exception caught, code=c0000005
Ctx{e4f2cd84=140000000,,,,,}
OK   

Before the dialog box appeared, I heard a pop and then white noise that started increasing in volume. Then dialog box, and after closing it Pianoteq closed as well. I wasn't pressing any keys on my MIDI keyboard.
Details:

• Pianoteq 8.2 Stage, running standalone executable

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

• Audio interface: motherboard built-in Realtek ALC4080

• Driver version: Realtek, 6.3.9600.2369

• Listening device: headphones through front panel jack

• Pianoteq settings:

• Pianoteq preset: stock NY Steinway D Classical, only velocity curve modified

• Active MIDI inputs: a MIDI keyboard through USB (USB AudioDevice)

• Device: ASIO4ALL v2

• Active output channels 2 selected, for the headphones

• Sample rate: 48000 Hz

• Audio buffer size: 64 samples

• Bit depth: 32 bits

• ASIO4ALL settings:

• only front panel headphones activated for output (appears as Realtek USB Audio under Realtek USB Audio)

• Latency compensation: in 0 samples, out 0 samples

• Hardware Buffer: off

• Kernel buffers: 2

• Always resample 44.1kHz <-> 48kHz off

• Force WDM Driver To 16 Bit: off

• ASIO Buffer Size: 64

No one seems to have had this problem on the interwebs. I hope someone here knows what's up. I can provide more system details if needed.

Re: Pianoteq 8.2 crash (Windows 11, ASIO4ALL)

Never had this issue.

However the onboard realtek never sounded that great to me, so I'm using an external focusrite interface.

I would suggest, if you haven't already.

Latest motherboard bios
AMD just released new chipset drivers
Latest realtek driver
EXPO settings for ram
If you are using PBO, turn it off and try again

And Oh yes :-) that's a real slow CPU you have. I'll swap it for my 7700 to help you. Anything for a fellow Pianoteq user.

Last edited by Irmin (16-03-2024 19:08)

Irmin wrote:

Never had this issue.

However the onboard realtek never sounded that great to me, so I'm using an external focusrite interface.

I would suggest, if you haven't already.

Latest motherboard bios
AMD just released new chipset drivers
Latest realtek driver
EXPO settings for ram
If you are using PBO, turn it off and try again

And Oh yes :-) that's a real slow CPU you have. I'll swap it for my 7700 to help you. Anything for a fellow Pianoteq user.

Yeah, I'm up to date with all the drivers, EXPO is on, no PBO -- I guess things just happen sometimes. I played around with some settings and haven't had a crash since, although I would have preferred to keep the buffer size smaller...

Well I guess even a 7950X can't feed Pianoteq with those juicy CPU cycles fast enough I really should replace it with a celeron...

I also had a crash: With Pianoteq 8.2 and ASIO4ALL V2 2.15 the application freezed after start at once.
I succeeded in uninstalling the ASIO4ALL driver (there is an uninstall exe in the program directory) and installing verision 2.14. Then everything worked. 2.14 can be downloaded from the official ASIO4ALL website.
Give it a try...

[Before the dialog box appeared, I heard a pop and then white noise that started increasing in volume.]
I have the same problem.
At first I thought that would be a problem of my computer, hardware problem.
Now I know it is software one.
(Win11+ASIO4ALL+PianoTeq 8.2)>Crash.

fhildebrandt wrote:

I also had a crash: With Pianoteq 8.2 and ASIO4ALL V2 2.15 the application freezed after start at once.
I succeeded in uninstalling the ASIO4ALL driver (there is an uninstall exe in the program directory) and installing verision 2.14. Then everything worked. 2.14 can be downloaded from the official ASIO4ALL website.
Give it a try...

I uninstall 2.15 and reinstall 2.14, THAT WORKS.
Thanks a lot !