Topic: PT history

Hi,

I am a new user and I love Pianoteq8. I have a question for old time PT users: I suppose every version was brilliant at the time of its release. But which versions you think have been the most relevant, providing a big jump ahead in terms of realism and musicality of the sound?

Re: PT history

Pillo wrote:

Hi,

I am a new user and I love Pianoteq8. I have a question for old time PT users: I suppose every version was brilliant at the time of its release. But which versions you think have been the most relevant, providing a big jump ahead in terms of realism and musicality of the sound?

As a matter of common sense, I believe that the best version is always the most recent. Right now, it's 8.2.0.

Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

Having been around since 1.1 (I think!), I'd say version 3 made a big leap forward: in fact, you could really still use it without shame. Version 5 too. Just my 2 cents, of course.

To me version 5 made the leap that got me off the fence and I purchased it.  Might not be as realistic as the super Gigabyte sampled pianos on the market but for my needs it is wonderful.

Luc Henrion wrote:

Having been around since 1.1 (I think!), I'd say version 3 made a big leap forward: in fact, you could really still use it without shame. Version 5 too. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Agreed! (Though I'm more from the 3.0 onward era...)  I'd give honorable mentions to versions 4 and 7 (layering).  Version 4 was a major step up for the limited PTQ versions, since Pianoteq Play was replaced by Pianoteq Stage.  Stage was a much more viable low-end version than Play had been.  Version 7 (if memory serves) introduced layering which dramatically increased the number of options for designing new custom sounds.

Versions 6 and 8 seemed to be more about increasing the piano catalog or revoicing older instruments, which while major improvements in a subset of the software weren't major "engine" changes that totally changed the sound or how the software worked like 3, 5, or 7.  (Though by now I can't honestly remember if the ambient "air" sound change was version 5 or 6, which at least for me was huge in improving the realism.)

Not sure what Version 9 will bring, but I'm definitely looking forward to it whatever it is!

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2xHiPcCsm29R12HX4eXd4J
Pianoteq Pro & Organteq 2
Steinways, Grotrian, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Petrof, Blüthner, K2, Karsten, & Kremsegg
Casio GP300

instred wrote:

To me version 5 made the leap that got me off the fence and I purchased it.  Might not be as realistic as the super Gigabyte sampled pianos on the market but for my needs it is wonderful.

I have been on board since 2013 and I agree with Instred, version 5 was special to me, and is still, I like it.
Here 4 examples, modified in different ways, how it sounded at the time.

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?file=Ptq%205.mp3

Best wishes,

Stig

Pillo wrote:

Hi,

I'm not a long-time user of Pianoteq. I started with v7 which I thought was fantastic.

But if you want to compare how far Modartt have come try out some of the earlier offerings which you can download from the user area...

Here's the old C1:

https://forum.modartt.com/uploads.php?f...use_C1.mp3

It's true nobody would think this was an accurate representation of a piano having P8 to play with, but it's still musical, it still offers wonderful feedback and still inspires musical expression.

I hope you enjoy your purchase...

DEZ

I think the first big leap about pianoteq was when they first replaced the virtual soundbord for a new algorithm. This was around version 2 or version 3. There was another nice leap when Juliette Chabassier joined Modartt team and helped with another refinement for the soundboard algorithm.

Another important advance was not just about the key note sound but about the sound irradiation, which got quite more spacious and vivid. The sound itself was somehow muffed in early versions and got a real twist for better.

But the advances in last years, despite be more subtle in terms of "before after comparisom", was more relevant to convert some pseudo-hater to get pianoteq as the sound was getting closer and closer to a real piano. 

This gave me an idea for a Time Machine Video, showing pianoteq sound quality evolution since the first Beta version until today. I believe this could be an excellent promotional video for pianoteq.

If you want a crazy request, here one : An adjustment slider for pianoteq versions since the first beta until today.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-03-2024 00:30)

Beto-Music wrote:

If you want a crazy request, here one : An adjustment slider for pianoteq versions since the first beta until today.

So as to avoid a bad reputation (or confused casual users) - Maybe strictly as a hidden option in Pro version only - with a permanent warning on the screen when enabling old outdated versions.

To me it was version 5 where I decided to jump on the Pianoteq ship with the standard version and where I believed the sound was decent enough to give it a shot. It is probably due more to the eyecandy rather than an objective fact but I always felt like Pianoteq makes a big step forward everytime a new instrument is added to the list. I feel like focusing on the pecularities of each piano that is taken as a reference somehow has a cascade effect also on the general core of the software. In other terms the special needs of each model constitute the stepping stone for an upgrade for all other pianos. So when something new comes out model-wise, I am super excited for what's to come because that means all the other models will benefit of the new acquired "knowledge" somehow. So it is really hard to pinpoint a moment where I said "thats it!" and instead I have been enjoying the journey itself.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

I came in at version 5 too. It's evolution more than revolution. I cannot say I wouldn't have bought Pianoteq 4 - when I've listened to videos with that I can hear how it had evolved to version 5 though. It still sounded perfectly good back then, it's just become more and more refined. It's a subtle process at times.
  Obviously Modartt had to get the fundamental elements right straight out the gate, otherwise I don't think we'd be having this forum discussion. Nonetheless listening to the first version it still sounds nice, but more obviously synthetic by comparison.

8.2 feels like a nice step. It's not always the major versions that bring the most rewarding improvements.

Pillo wrote:

Hi,

Version 8.2, no doubt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPZ9W7NqE-c

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Fleer wrote:
Pillo wrote:

Hi,

Version 8.2, no doubt.

Dear Mr. Fleer ... that is one hell of a demo.  Great visual composition and the audio is super.

Kudos,  Lanny

LTECpiano wrote:
Fleer wrote:
Pillo wrote:

Hi,

Version 8.2, no doubt.

Dear Mr. Fleer ... that is one hell of a demo.  Great visual composition and the audio is super.

Kudos,  Lanny

Cheers, Lanny, was pretty amazed myself.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Having been around since 2.0.
Version 5 made the leap that got me off the fence and I purchased it

As someone who's been around since version 1.1 (if memory serves!), I must say that version 3 marked a significant leap forward. Even now, you could confidently use it without any reservations. Version 5 also stands out in plinko regard. But hey, that's just my two cents!

Last edited by Evaffek (18-04-2024 07:27)

Pillo wrote:

Hi,

I have been using Pianoteq since version 4. Personally , I think the most significant releases were 7.5 and 8.2 .

I believe the largest jump in quality was between versions zero and one Definitely agree there with Pianistically about the 7.5 to 8.

I'm seeing a bit of a nice pattern above - similarly, iirc first encountering Pianoteq at version. 3.. 'nearly got me' (I guess I needed time to re-listen to a few demos and decide).. but pretty soon after that, ver. 4 came along and I felt it was pretty much a grand leap forward (they were doing things right/well!).

Maybe, no matter at which point you discover(ed) Pianoteq.. noticing the pretty interesting scale of improvement between versions is pretty magnetic!

It took me one version jump, others a couple - but for sure, even when yet another a new piano comes to life in the library, it will bring with it more experience/data etc.. and the engine improves to deliver the new work done in greatest clarity (from measurement to release). In a way, the whole history of Pianoteq has been about quite compelling improvement at each new version and between too.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

The thing with PT is not just the sound, it’s the feel. You really feel you’re playing an actual piano.

Of course, Pianoteq being the ever-improving work in progress, adding instruments and refining the model and interface, the best version is always the latest one.

My first version was 2.3 I believe, with the old home-made tan interface, but even before that I had played with Philippe Guillaume’s SoundFont offerings exploring soundboard resonance and harp effect…

There are some milestones that I remember:

Around version 3 the new much better looking GUI was introduced.
Around version 3.5 the Pro version appeared with note-editing possibilities.
Around version 7 Morphing and Layering greatly enhanced the instrument creation possibilities.

And that’s not counting versions in between when new types of instruments like the harp and guitar brought in some interesting new ways of interacting with the model.