Topic: Used MacBook vs Raspberry Pi for a standalone system?

I've been reading up ways to have a standalone system. I initially started looking into the raspberry pi solutions and learnt about the DAC and other requirements. But then I saw the overall prices on those things - the Pi, DAC, display, AMP etc right now are more than 300 Dollars all put together.

Then I started looking at used laptops. The windows machine I have has a lot of latency and I read that Macs are better.

A used MacBook Air from 2015 also costs about the same - 300 Dollars.

For the performance, would a MacBook Air from 2015 with an i5 suffice?

PS: My main and only intention right now is to be able to play and listen live. on my tests I noticed that anything above 64 samples sounds really laggy to me. So a MacBook Air from 2015 would be able to handle that?

Re: Used MacBook vs Raspberry Pi for a standalone system?

On a Windows machine, a dedicated audio interface is almost inevitable to avoid latency; on a Mac, it's a bit different.
Please give us the specifications of your laptop, perhaps a better investment would be an audio interface indeed...

Luc Henrion wrote:

On a Windows machine, a dedicated audio interface is almost inevitable to avoid latency; on a Mac, it's a bit different.
Please give us the specifications of your laptop, perhaps a better investment would be an audio interface indeed...

My windows machine is CORE i7 4810MQ with 8GB RAM from 2014. But more importantly it's huge and pretty much can't be moved it's attached to a few monitors making it almost a PC.

I absolutely need a standalone system to use for piano alone. Unfortunately cannot move my windows machine around

My Macbook Air from 2018 performs really fine... but with an external audio interface: I'm using a Tascam US20 x 20, not only for Pianoteq as you might guess !
Just my 2 cents.

Luc Henrion wrote:

My Macbook Air from 2018 performs really fine... but with an external audio interface: I'm using a Tascam US20 x 20, not only for Pianoteq as you might guess !
Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for your response!
Would you know what is the latency without the audio interface?

poornapragna wrote:

I've been reading up ways to have a standalone system. I initially started looking into the raspberry pi solutions and learnt about the DAC and other requirements. But then I saw the overall prices on those things - the Pi, DAC, display, AMP etc right now are more than 300 Dollars all put together.

Then I started looking at used laptops. The windows machine I have has a lot of latency and I read that Macs are better.

PS: My main and only intention right now is to be able to play and listen live. on my tests I noticed that anything above 64 samples sounds really laggy to me. So a MacBook Air from 2015 would be able to handle that?

until I upgraded my setup I was using a Mac book pro late 2013 with i5 . The perf are about equivalent to the Mac book air 2015 .  I was able to run with 44.1 kHz /64 samples but with some restrictions. At 64 buffer size , I was occasionally getting glitches and note drop off with high polyphony and had to limit the number of microphones to 2 . Other than that the sound was perfect , no need to buy and audio interface as Mac sound card is really good and core audio has been designed for low latency. So imho , you can run pianoteq 8.2 on a  10 years old Mac book at low latency with 2 microphones . I have tried all other parameters at the time to optimise .  Set polyphony to auto optimistic works as well but has some side  effects so the most effective solution was to limit the number of mics .  Good luck

poornapragna wrote:

As someone who runs Pteq on iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air, I would question using Macbook to achieve your goal of playing Pteq.  Just about any Macbook would work fine, but they're a clunky solution.  An iPhone or iPad is a much better idea.  You can get a new iPad that's way, way more powerful than you need for $250:   https://www.amazon.com/2021-Apple-10-2-...B09G9CJM1Z.   Or you can get a used iPhone SE (2020) (the one I have) that's super fast and might run you a little over $100:  https://swappa.com/listings/apple-iphon...r=unlocked

This iPad has these advantages over a used Macbook: (1) it's new, (2) it's faster than older Macbooks, (3) it's small and easily portable, (4) it has a built in battery.  Recent iPhones and iPads have processors that are much more powerful than those from Macbooks of five or six years ago.  Though even an old iPad/iPhone will be faster than many older Macbooks and certainly much faster than even a new Raspberry Pi.

I run Pteq fine on an iPad from 2017.  No need for an audio interface.  You can use Bluetooth midi for input, which has very acceptable latency for me, or get an Apple or third party adapter to connect via USB cable ($39 https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W...ra-adapter ) or $15 - $20 for similar non-Apple adapter.

Last edited by hesitz (06-03-2024 22:35)

hesitz wrote:
poornapragna wrote:

As someone who runs Pteq on iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air, I would question using Macbook to achieve your goal of playing Pteq.  Just about any Macbook would work fine, but they're a clunky solution.  An iPhone or iPad is a much better idea.  You can get a new iPad that's way, way more powerful than you need for $250:   https://www.amazon.com/2021-Apple-10-2-...B09G9CJM1Z

This iPad has these advantages over a used Macbook: (1) it's new, (2) it's faster than older Macbooks, (3) it's small and easily portable, (4) it has a built in battery.  Recent iPhones and iPads have processors that are much more powerful than those from Macbooks of five or six years ago.  Though even an old iPad/iPhone will be faster than many older Macbooks and certainly much faster than even a new Raspberry Pi.

I am certainly open to using an iPad!

My question though is, how does the iPad handle latency when both the Piano (Roland FP-10) and the speakers are connected to the single port?
And how would I do that? Do I need a hub? And would it be possible to charge the device at the same time? That would make 3 connections to the single port. Latency is still ok?
I forgot to mention, I do need to use speakers as I find laptop/phone/tablet audio to be very 'tinny'.

Last edited by poornapragna (06-03-2024 22:35)

poornapragna wrote:

My question though is, how does the iPad handle latency when both the Piano (Roland FP-10) and the speakers are connected to the single port?
And how would I do that? Do I need a hub? And would it be possible to charge the device at the same time? That would make 3 connections to the single port. Latency is still ok?
I forgot to mention, I do need to use speakers as I find laptop/phone/tablet audio to be very 'tinny'.

Not a worry.  The iPad I linked (9th generation basic iPad) still has a headphone jack.  That's what I'd get, both of my iPads are older with Lightning and headphone jacks which I consider a plus.  It's an advantage over newer iPads and most iPhones.  Latency not an issue even if you have a non-headphone-jack model, but in that case you do need an adapter with multiple USB ports, if you want to have USB cable connection and audio dongle at same time.  (My non-Apple adapter has two USB plus lightning power port.)  You can also use Bluetooth midi to get in and just use Lightning port for audio out interface/dongle if you want. (FWIW, I also have FP-10, Bluetooth midi is perfectly fine.)

Last edited by hesitz (06-03-2024 22:47)

hesitz wrote:
poornapragna wrote:

Not a worry.  The iPad I linked (9th generation basic iPad) still has a headphone jack.  That's what I'd get, both of my iPads are older with Lightning and headphone jacks which I consider a plus.  It's an advantage over newer iPads and most iPhones.  Latency not an issue even if you have a non-headphone-jack model, but in that case you do need an adapter with multiple USB ports, if you want to have USB cable connection and audio dongle at same time.  (My non-Apple adapter has two USB plus lightning power port.)  You can also use Bluetooth midi to get in and just use Lightning port for audio out interface/dongle if you want.

This sounds like a great idea! What about latency with Bluetooth MIDI? Is latency only a worry with Bluetooth audio?

poornapragna wrote:
hesitz wrote:
poornapragna wrote:

As someone who runs Pteq on iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air, I would question using Macbook to achieve your goal of playing Pteq.  Just about any Macbook would work fine, but they're a clunky solution.  An iPhone or iPad is a much better idea.  You can get a new iPad that's way, way more powerful than you need for $250:   https://www.amazon.com/2021-Apple-10-2-...B09G9CJM1Z

I second the recommendation to use an iPad. It is the most convenient, perfect size to carry around, play live--it easily sets on a music stand, on top of your keyboard etc. The user interface on the iPad, with touch screen, is much better than a laptop, especially for live playing. And the iPad is powerful. I have both a 6th generation standard iPad (from about 2020, < $300 when new) and a current model iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (top of the line). They both play Pianoteq great, I can't distinguish any difference really.

One thing that's great about the Pianoteq license, is that you get three activations, but a single iOS activation allows you to run on any/all your iPhones and iPads. I have Pianoteq activated on a Macbook Air, a raspberry pi 4, my iPhone, and 3 iPads. When I was playing a live gig with the IPad, and I had a problem with the iPad during the gig (my fault, I left it in the sun, outdoors, and it was overheating) I switched to my iPhone as a backup and it worked great.

I recommend a current standard 10.9" iPad, or from the last couple generations (shouldn't be more than about $300) and an audio interface. You really need an audio interface. I have a couple Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, and I use them with all of the above (raspberry pi. macbook, iOS devices). They work perfectly, other than the interface may not get enough power from an iPhone or iPad and in that case you need to use a cheap USB powered hub. The Focusrite Scarlett solo is fine  but if even that's more than you want to spend I believe there are good low-latency audio interfaces for well under $100. The ability to control speaker output volume, and headphone volume are great. The audio interface does so much for you, in terms of sound quality.

For plugging in, you will want some kind of USB adapter (or a hub) depending on whether your iPad is lightning or usb-c (the higher end models). There are lots of options. I've mentioned some in previous posts.

Any speakers or headphones you want to use plug into the audio interface.

sharpnine wrote:
poornapragna wrote:
hesitz wrote:

I second the recommendation to use an iPad. It is the most convenient, perfect size to carry around, play live--it easily sets on a music stand, on top of your keyboard etc. The user interface on the iPad, with touch screen, is much better than a laptop, especially for live playing. And the iPad is powerful. I have both a 6th generation standard iPad (from about 2020, < $300 when new) and a current model iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (top of the line). They both play Pianoteq great, I can't distinguish any difference really.

One thing that's great about the Pianoteq license, is that you get three activations, but a single iOS activation allows you to run on any/all your iPhones and iPads. I have Pianoteq activated on a Macbook Air, a raspberry pi 4, my iPhone, and 3 iPads. When I was playing a live gig with the IPad, and I had a problem with the iPad during the gig (my fault, I left it in the sun, outdoors, and it was overheating) I switched to my iPhone as a backup and it worked great.

I recommend a current standard 10.9" iPad, or from the last couple generations (shouldn't be more than about $300) and an audio interface. You really need an audio interface. I have a couple Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, and I use them with all of the above (raspberry pi. macbook, iOS devices). They work perfectly, other than the interface may not get enough power from an iPhone or iPad and in that case you need to use a cheap USB powered hub. The Focusrite Scarlett solo is fine  but if even that's more than you want to spend I believe there are good low-latency audio interfaces for well under $100. The ability to control speaker output volume, and headphone volume are great. The audio interface does so much for you, in terms of sound quality.

For plugging in, you will want some kind of USB adapter (or a hub) depending on whether your iPad is lightning or usb-c (the higher end models). There are lots of options. I've mentioned some in previous posts.

Any speakers or headphones you want to use plug into the audio interface.

Please forgive me for pursuing this, what I understand is in this picture - https://imgur.com/a/MKrCS8H
Is my understanding correct?

In this case how does the audio from the iPad reach the Focusrite Solo audio interface(red arrow) in this setup?

Did I get the connections wrong?

sharpnine wrote:

I recommend a current standard 10.9" iPad, or from the last couple generations (shouldn't be more than about $300) and an audio interface. You really need an audio interface.

I would disagree mildly in a couple ways.  The current 10.9" standard iPad (iPad 10) doesn't have a headphone jack, plus it's more expensive.  While still available standard iPad 9 does have headphone jacks.  iPad 9 is still way more powerful than required.  Having headphone jacks are useful.  Plus it's much cheaper than the 10.9" iPad.  No brainer to go for iPad 9, IMO.

Regarding audio interface:  You certainly don't "need" one.  I've used Pteq with Windows laptop, Macbook Air, two different iPads, and an iPhone.  All have had excellent quality without an audio interface.  Low latency, of course.

OP seems to be unduly concerned about "latency".  Like "latency" is some buzzword that needs to be optimized. Going with Macbook, iPhone, iPad, latency is not going to be an issue.   IMO if going the iPad route, get a new iPad 9 (64GB) for $249.  Use it to see if you think you need to add the expense (and hassle!) of using it with an external audio interface.  My guess: you'll be perfectly fine with the headphone jacks.  If not, though, by all means then you can spend your money on an audio interface, but why do that without even testing it out with the straight from headphone jacks setup that works fine for many, many people?

Last edited by hesitz (07-03-2024 00:23)

hesitz wrote:
sharpnine wrote:

I recommend a current standard 10.9" iPad, or from the last couple generations (shouldn't be more than about $300) and an audio interface. You really need an audio interface.

I would disagree mildly in a couple ways.  The current 10.9" standard iPad (iPad 10) doesn't have a headphone jack, plus it's more expensive.  While still available standard iPad 9 does have headphone jacks.  iPad 9 is still way more powerful than required.  Having headphone jacks are useful.  Plus it's much cheaper than the 10.9" iPad.  No brainer to go for iPad 9, IMO.

Regarding audio interface:  You certainly don't "need" one.  I've used Pteq with Windows laptop, Macbook Air, two different iPads, and an iPhone.  All have had excellent quality without an audio interface.  Low latency, of course.

OP seems to be unduly concerned about "latency".  Like "latency" is some buzzword that needs to be optimized. Going with Macbook, iPhone, iPad, latency is not going to be an issue.   IMO if going the iPad route, get a new iPad 9 (64GB) for $249.  Use it to see if you think you need to add the expense (and hassle!) of using it with an external audio interface.  My guess: you'll be perfectly fine with the headphone jacks.  If not, though, by all means then you can spend your money on an audio interface, but why do that without even testing it out with the straight from headphone jacks setup that works fine for many, many people?

Yes, thanks to everyone's suggestions here my first trial is indeed going to be iPad

My concerns about latency are not undue in my opinion because even with a Pianoteq license I have been unable to use it even at 128 samples(2.7 ms) setting with ASIO4All on my Windows machine.

poornapragna wrote:

Please forgive me for pursuing this, what I understand is in this picture - https://imgur.com/a/MKrCS8H
Is my understanding correct?

In this case how does the audio from the iPad reach the Focusrite Solo audio interface(red arrow) in this setup?

Did I get the connections wrong?

Your connections are right. The iPad sends the digital sound to the audio interface via USB. The audio interface contains the DAC, which is likely better quality than the DAC built into the iPad.

hesitz wrote:
sharpnine wrote:

I don't disagree on anything Hesitz said--a headphone jack is a handy thing to have, an iPad 9 is plenty powerful (I mentioned I have been using an iPad 6 successfully).

My experiences are different and so I have a different viewpoint on audio interfaces. I agree the audio output of all Apple devices are good, and you can get by with using the internal dac and software volume controls built in. However, I tend to use Pianoteq in a lot of different contexts, live performance, hooked into PA speakers or a mixer, etc. I find the audio output through the headphone jack gives me level problems. Typically I don't get enough gain out of the headphone jack. The audio interface has its own built in preamp which adds gain as needed, and gives you a handy volume knob to adjust it. For live performance, a real volume knob is so useful, and the extra gain ensures you can connect to anything. But you can certainly use it without it, and save the hassle of the audio interface.

In fact, I can't agree... between the headphone output of my Macbook Air and the line or headphone output of my Tascam US 20 x 20 interface, there's a world of difference in quality. And I'm not even talking about latency. No experience on iPad. My 2 cents