Topic: Pachelbel "Canon in D" -

Hi, friends,

In addition to the exquisite original edition, there are numerous arrangements of Pachelbel's Canon, often referred to as "covers," spanning various musical styles.
Among these, one stands out as iconic, earning its own title, "Canon Rock," which, in turn, has spawned several versions. Each of these versions is characterized by incorporating only a portion of the variations and lacking polyphony.

In my latest original rendition, I've utilized my usual lineup of two rock guitars, a Hammond organ, the indispensable Ruckers II Harpsichord L8' + U8' + 4' from Pianoteq, which seamlessly blends all instruments both harmonically and rhythmically, along with an electric bass and drums. All notes played by the instruments are derived from the original score.

The interplay of the three main voices is entrusted to a lead guitar at the center, a second guitar to the left, and a Hammond organ to the right (I recommend listening on a Hi-Fi system or headphones). Paradoxically, in this version, due to the significant difference in the sounds of the three lead instruments, one can better perceive the interlocking and counterpoint of the voices compared to the original, where all voices are entrusted to strings and thus blend more. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE the original, but this rock version has its own charm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUPh_9QSqI

Last edited by pflying (03-03-2024 14:19)