Topic: Debussy: Reverie

Rêverie, composed by Claude Debussy in 1890, is a delightful solo piano piece. The title itself evokes a dream-like state, and Debussy masterfully captures this ethereal quality in his music. It predates some of his more harmonically innovative works, I don't think you should treat it with more emotion than necessary. Lang (!) story short: my vision on this piece is classical, keep it simple.

https://youtu.be/G9OokMOfC_E

Re: Debussy: Reverie

paulvanbladel wrote:

Rêverie, composed by Claude Debussy in 1890, is a delightful solo piano piece. The title itself evokes a dream-like state, and Debussy masterfully captures this ethereal quality in his music. It predates some of his more harmonically innovative works, I don't think you should treat it with more emotion than necessary. Lang (!) story short: my vision on this piece is classical, keep it simple.

Thank you, thank you Paul. Have been waiting for this.
Rêverie. Such a beautiful piece. Captures the title, "a daydream" well.

This is actually even better than Arabesque. Now first on my playlist Reverie, then Arabesque and Clair de lune.

For me, one of the most beautiful pieces…….and your playing, I’m like in a different soundworld, a very special dream…

You perfectly understand Debussy's spirit…moving performance.
Beautiful tone and phrasing...Very dreamy.
Great use of dynamics, music like this is treatment for a soul. Wonderful piece and excellent performance and -  You nailed the end, the last 20 seconds, extremely beautiful ending. (Interesting, exciting, to see you used your thumb on D at about 1,46. Gave nice effect, soft low tone (not loud), good for the dreamy feeling).

Well, this is what I honestly think about it.
Thank you Paul

Best wishes,

Stig

btw, have you played Clair de lune before we met?

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (02-03-2024 22:27)

Hey Stig,

Many thanks for the, as always, very personal review.  Very much appreciated.
No, I never played clair de lune. I played a lot of preludes and etudes of Debussy.
Now, it's time for Beethoven for me.
All the best dear Stig.
paul.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
paulvanbladel wrote:

Thank you, thank you Paul. Have been waiting for this.
Rêverie. Such a beautiful piece. Captures the title, "a daydream" well.

This is actually even better than Arabesque. Now first on my playlist Reverie, then Arabesque and Clair de lune.

For me, one of the most beautiful pieces…….and your playing, I’m like in a different soundworld, a very special dream…

You perfectly understand Debussy's spirit…moving performance.
Beautiful tone and phrasing...Very dreamy.
Great use of dynamics, music like this is treatment for a soul. Wonderful piece and excellent performance and -  You nailed the end, the last 20 seconds, extremely beautiful ending. (Interesting, exciting, to see you used your thumb on D at about 1,46. Gave nice effect, soft low tone (not loud), good for the dreamy feeling).

Well, this is what I honestly think about it.
Thank you Paul

Best wishes,

Stig

btw, have you played Clair de lune before we met?

absolutely gorgeous.  beautiful sound engineering too!

Thank you. Well, the sound engineering tool is pianoteq, which is in my case used as a sound recorder. My sound engineering knowledge is limited to browsing through the different pianos and selecting one.

Last edited by paulvanbladel (04-03-2024 07:16)

paulvanbladel wrote:

Bravo Paul, very nice! I’m learning it at the moment and your video will be helpful. Which Pianoteq preset did you used? Thanks

Thanks for the kind words.
Its the bechstein venue.
Good luck with the piece.
Warm regards
Paul

Wotl wrote:
paulvanbladel wrote:

Bravo Paul, very nice! I’m learning it at the moment and your video will be helpful. Which Pianoteq preset did you used? Thanks

Very tender interpretation.

You made me smile seeing your 'unusual' finger angles here and there - you're teasing the audience with your occassional stabbing thumb !!!

I think this was on ABRSM's Grade 8 Syllabus a couple of years back.

Well done!

DEZ

Love the sound and the performance too of course... May I ask which Pianoteq instrument you are using?

Its the bechstein venue.

andreanocera_music wrote:

Love the sound and the performance too of course... May I ask which Pianoteq instrument you are using?

Thank you. Indeed I can be sometimes non conventional .

DEZ wrote:

Very tender interpretation.

You made me smile seeing your 'unusual' finger angles here and there - you're teasing the audience with your occassional stabbing thumb !!!

I think this was on ABRSM's Grade 8 Syllabus a couple of years back.

Well done!

DEZ

Magnifique version Bravo !

Many thanks

Krisp wrote:

Magnifique version Bravo !