Topic: How to make treble less sharp

I'm new to Pianoteq and still testing to get the best working setup, before buying. It's great to be able to test everything first. I use a Roland FP30X as a midi controller and an Ipad for Pianoteq. For getting a good sound a use a headphone, a Beyerdynamic 700 ProX. Everything works, but I still have some things that I don't understand or that doesn't work the way I would expect it to work.

The sound in general is quit different from what I can hear on youtube video's or when playing the midi-files. I know that my playing abilities are not the best, but I'm working on that aspect.
In general I like the lows and the mids, but find the highs too sharp. This is for all the piano's I tried. I tried to change this with the equalizer, but that didn't work. It is a bit better when plugging the headphone in to the Ipad, but still more sharp than expected. I only dare to play the treble notes ppp-mp, because mf-ff really is awful sharp. Is there anything I can do to make this better.

Last edited by Fetivi (29-02-2024 16:10)

Re: How to make treble less sharp

Fetivi wrote:

I'm new to Pianoteq and still testing to get the best working setup, before buying. It's great to be able to test everything first. I use a Roland FP30X as a midi controller and an Ipad for Pianoteq. For getting a good sound a use a headphone, a Beyerdynamic 700 ProX. Everything works, but I still have some things that I don't understand or that doesn't work the way I would expect it to work.

The sound in general is quit different from what I can hear on youtube video's or when playing the midi-files. I know that my playing abilities are not the best, but I'm working on that aspect.
In general I like the lows and the mids, but find the highs too sharp. This is for all the piano's I tried. I tried to change this with the equalizer, but that didn't work. It is a bit better when plugging the headphone in to the Ipad, but still more sharp than expected. I only dare to play the treble notes ppp-mp, because mf-ff really is awful sharp. Is there anything I can do to make this better.

Are you using version 8.2? If not, update and see how that goes.
If you still have problems try adjusting hammer hardness at M and F.
Which EQ did you use? You can access the “model level” EQ and/or several instances of the effects section EQ, lots of scope there.

Last edited by Topher (29-02-2024 17:17)

Fetivi wrote:

I understand the FP30X has digital audio over usb. It may be FP30X is adding the sharpness. I take it the headphone is connected to it. If possible, listen to Pianoteq using only the ipad  and headphones for comparison. I have digital audio over usb on my dgx670. If I connect an ipad using the usb midi, by default, I hear a mix of the dgx and Pianoteq which can then be adjusted with its mixer. The audio is processed by the dgx as any audio input.

Topher wrote:

[
Are you using version 8.2? If not, update and see how that goes.
If you still have problems try adjusting hammer hardness at M and F.
Which EQ did you use? You can access the “model level” EQ and/or several instances of the effects section EQ, lots of scope there.

I updated to version 8.2 today and that was a lot better. I tried some adjustments with EQ, but without any improvement. I bought the stage version today with Steinway D and Petrof. This version is without the option to adjust hammer hardness. Maybe I'll try that later. Thanks for your advise.

kind regards,

Fetivi

levinite wrote:

I understand the FP30X has digital audio over usb. It may be FP30X is adding the sharpness. I take it the headphone is connected to it. If possible, listen to Pianoteq using only the ipad  and headphones for comparison. I have digital audio over usb on my dgx670. If I connect an ipad using the usb midi, by default, I hear a mix of the dgx and Pianoteq which can then be adjusted with its mixer. The audio is processed by the dgx as any audio input.

I switched off local control on my FP30X so I only hear the sound from the Ipad. After upgrading to version 8.2 there was an improvement. I tried headphones direct from the Ipad and direct from the Roland, but couldn't hear any difference anymore. So far so good. The Petrof and the Bluthner had the lest disturbing treble. I just bought the stage version with the Petrof and the Steinway D. But the Bluthner will probably come later. Now I can continue my regular piano practise with better sound. Thanks for your advise.

kind regards,
Fetivi