Topic: Portable Speaker?

Hi everyone,

I am traveling sometimes with a small MIDI Keyboard playing it with pianoteq on my iPad. Also sometimes I just go somewhere where I know there is a keyboard with MIDI out and then do the same. Even though I often play with headphones, I'd also like to have a really small portable speaker for these occasions that I can also just carry in my backpack. I know it is impossible to have really good sound with a setup like this but I was wondering if there is something out there that does sound okish and is better than the iPad speakers.

I tried a few Bluetooth Speakers but most of them only have Bluetooth and no additional aux/usb-in these days and then with bluetooth have a huge delay.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Re: Portable Speaker?

senseforsnow wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am traveling sometimes with a small MIDI Keyboard playing it with pianoteq on my iPad. Also sometimes I just go somewhere where I know there is a keyboard with MIDI out and then do the same. Even though I often play with headphones, I'd also like to have a really small portable speaker for these occasions that I can also just carry in my backpack. I know it is impossible to have really good sound with a setup like this but I was wondering if there is something out there that does sound okish and is better than the iPad speakers.

I tried a few Bluetooth Speakers but most of them only have Bluetooth and no additional aux/usb-in these days and then with bluetooth have a huge delay.

I bought two Soundcore/Anker X600 speakers this Christmas. They are very well made and excellent sound quality for what I wanted. I use them as a stereo pair. The X600 has aux in as well as Bluetooth.

Check them out,

Hope this helps,

Warmest regards,

Chris

I am very satisfied with my Schneider SC300SND soundbar.
I use it either as a complement to my two Presonus Eris 5, or on its own when I play at night and don't want to wake people.
As a complement to my two ERIS 5, its table-height position gives more realism to the piano sound.

https://ahp.li/24da6049726524dc7d6f.jpg

https://ahp.li/585e5e55728b8e257e35.jpg

https://ahp.li/fea7ec8ec74587053aa2.jpg

Last edited by Gaston (12-02-2024 12:13)

Be aware that most bluetooth speakers will have latency, even when you connect to it via Aux line in via cable.

I have got me an Anker Soundcore Motion+, which has almost 0 latency.

If you do some research (e.g. look for Reddit threads) you may find out latency of particular speakers, but usually this won't be documented by the manufacturer.

Fannon wrote:

Be aware that most bluetooth speakers will have latency, even when you connect to it via Aux line in via cable.

If you do some research (e.g. look for Reddit threads) you may find out latency of particular speakers, but usually this won't be documented by the manufacturer.

Choose a speaker with a wired input. It can have Bluetooth and AirPlay if you like for connecting your phone, but for playing live, it needs wired.

Fannon wrote:

Forget bluetooth latency, the Schneider soundbar features a jack audio input !

Last edited by Gaston (18-02-2024 12:10)

dikrek wrote:
Fannon wrote:

Choose a speaker with a wired input. It can have Bluetooth and AirPlay if you like for connecting your phone, but for playing live, it needs wired.

Sorry if this didn't come across, but my statement was that most bluetooth speakers have latency, even if you connect to them via cable! This is because of the latency of the internal DSP. Since they are usually used via bluetooth, which has latency anyway they often don't care about the internal DSP to add even more latency on top.

So just be careful. I think every speaker that has an internal DSP has some latency. Even my Studio Monitors have a little bit (2-3ms).

Fannon wrote:

Sorry if this didn't come across, but my statement was that most bluetooth speakers have latency, even if you connect to them via cable! This is because of the latency of the internal DSP. Since they are usually used via bluetooth, which has latency anyway they often don't care about the internal DSP to add even more latency on top.

So just be careful. I think every speaker that has an internal DSP has some latency. Even my Studio Monitors have a little bit (2-3ms).

Connected by cable, my Schneider SC300SND shows no perceptible latency between my keyboard and Pianoteq.
Price? €34.99.
For that price, isn't it worth a try ?

There are not many options these days if you are looking for a portable speaker to connect to with an aux cord.

i use a very cheap portable speaker i got off ebay (like $10-$20 cheap). it sounds pretty bloody ordinary tbh but better and louder than most lap top speakers (my lap top is very old though). i use it with an ipad and small midi controller to sit around the camp fire with mates who are playing acoustic guitar. it works for that purpose and sounds better as you have more beers. it's a T&G117 - costs very little to find out if it's good enough for your purposes

I'm curious about the little positive grid amp but anything that meets my size/weight requirements lacks in bass, and this is in a completely different price bracket from what I'm using

https://au.positivegrid.com/products/spark-go

sigasa wrote:

I bought two Soundcore/Anker X600 speakers this Christmas. They are very well made and excellent sound quality for what I wanted. I use them as a stereo pair. The X600 has aux in as well as Bluetooth.

Check them out,

I checked them out and tested them in the store and you are right they sound pretty good and would be exactly what I wanted. The thing is, that they are a little too big and heavy to just put them in the bag. Especially two of them. But still thank you! Good suggestion!

Gaston wrote:

I am very satisfied with my Schneider SC300SND soundbar.
I use it either as a complement to my two Presonus Eris 5, or on its own when I play at night and don't want to wake people.
As a complement to my two ERIS 5, its table-height position gives more realism to the piano sound.

This looks quite promising to be honest, but for some reason this model is hard to get in europe these days. I don't know why. Let's see maybe I can get my hands on one at some point.

Fannon wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I've been checking out the Bose Resolve Speakers and they sound quite good (even though I think a little too bass heavy) but I feel there is definitely latency going on.

senseforsnow wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Check them out,

I checked them out and tested them in the store and you are right they sound pretty good and would be exactly what I wanted. The thing is, that they are a little too big and heavy to just put them in the bag. Especially two of them. But still thank you! Good suggestion!

I have custom bags with straps that solve this problem for me. I'll post a link if you're interested...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394945043914...media=COPY

Warmest regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (03-03-2024 13:02)

sigasa wrote:
senseforsnow wrote:

Hi everyone,

Check them out,

Hope this helps,

Warmest regards,

Chris

How do you connect concretely these 2 speakers to Pianoteq? I just have a stereo audio out of my hub connected to my ipad. ??