Topic: Recommended Hardware Requirements

I have a Dell notebook with 8th generation i7 CPU with 1.8GHz CPU clock rates and with 32GB RAM and a 2014 MacBook i5, but when I use Pianoteq and put the pedal on it goes into overload and the sounds crackle or freeze. I want to have the highest sound quality and maximum freedom of use without having limitations, what configuration do you recommend? Which PCs do you use?
thanks

Re: Recommended Hardware Requirements

dynamics73 wrote:

I have a Dell notebook with 8th generation i7 CPU with 1.8GHz CPU clock rates and with 32GB RAM and a 2014 MacBook i5, but when I use Pianoteq and put the pedal on it goes into overload and the sounds crackle or freeze. I want to have the highest sound quality and maximum freedom of use without having limitations, what configuration do you recommend? Which PCs do you use?
thanks

Both should work fine, certainly the Dell, you'd have to look at some optimization of Pianoteq setup and of Windows for music. Start with disabling wifi for example.

Luc Henrion wrote:
dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

Both should work fine, certainly the Dell, you'd have to look at some optimization of Pianoteq setup and of Windows for music. Start with disabling wifi for example.

The fact is that in the meantime I also like to use the internet to find scores, chords and I use the notebook not only to play the sounds of Pianoteq, and at the moment both configurations are not sufficient to give me the performance I want.

dynamics73 wrote:
Luc Henrion wrote:
dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

The fact is that in the meantime I also like to use the internet to find scores, chords and I use the notebook not only to play the sounds of Pianoteq, and at the moment both configurations are not sufficient to give me the performance I want.

This is the recommendation from a Microsoft employee that writes on gearspace

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/windows-...de-part-1/

dynamics73 wrote:
Luc Henrion wrote:
dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

Simply activate/deactivate the "airplane" mode, but the problem can also come from elsewhere: graphics card drivers, processor performance settings, etc.
In any case, the laptop is certainly sufficient: with just 8 GB of RAM and an i5, I don't have the slightest problem here. In "airplane" mode ;-)

dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

I have a 7th gen i7 (7700hq), no problems at all. Windows is a horrible OS, most of the time some heavy services are running without notifying nor asking for permission, I suggest you to try some music oriented linux distro if you are familiar with that kind of procedures (you don't need to install it, it's possible to test it from a thumb drive).

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:
dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

I have a 7th gen i7 (7700hq), no problems at all. Windows is a horrible OS, most of the time some heavy services are running without notifying nor asking for permission, I suggest you to try some music oriented linux distro if you are familiar with that kind of procedures (you don't need to install it, it's possible to test it from a thumb drive).

I wouldn't mind jumping to Linux, however I am no longer under the impression that it is noticeably more efficient.

Just so long as this doesn't give the false impression that spare CPU cycles will be found to run Pianoteq more efficiently on the same processor (to any real world noticeable degree) then this advice is fine.

Plenty of times Linux users have admitted to me that Linux isn't going to make any difference whatsoever in this regard - the difference with those background processes is absolutely miniscule.
Negligible differences so tiny they are absolutely irrelevant to the user.
Linux won't enable you to use more instances of any plugins, it won't crash less (Windows seems incredibly reliable these days anyway to be fair). Linux is no silver bullet for latency issues or anything like that either.

On the plus side Linux can be more secure, it's also not spying on you. It has the potential to be extremely lean and efficient with regards to drive space. Low cost -  developers not profiting from marketing space, selling the consumer as the product to advertisers..
Still a lot to commend Linux.

Key Fumbler wrote:
marcos daniel wrote:
dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

I wouldn't mind jumping to Linux, however I am no longer under the impression that it is noticeably more efficient.

Just so long as this doesn't give the false impression that spare CPU cycles will be found to run Pianoteq more efficiently on the same processor (to any real world noticeable degree) then this advice is fine.

Plenty of times Linux users have admitted to me that Linux isn't going to make any difference whatsoever in this regard - the difference with those background processes is absolutely miniscule.
Linux won't enable you to use more instances of any plugins, it won't crash less (Windows seems incredibly reliable these days anyway to be fair). Linux is no silver bullet for latency issues or anything like that either.

On the plus side Linux can be more secure, it's also not spying on you. It has the potential to be extremely lean and efficient with regards to drive space. Low cost -  developers not profiting from marketing space, selling the consumer as the product to advertisers..

Windows isn't so "horrible" but it's not optimized for audio by default, so you have to adjust certain parameters, but it's certainly possible: I've been running a studio on Windows for over 25 years, so that's proof that it's possible, don't you think? I have to admit, though, that the Mac generally performs better without having to make many adjustments.

Luc Henrion wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
marcos daniel wrote:

Windows isn't so "horrible" but it's not optimized for audio by default, so you have to adjust certain parameters, but it's certainly possible: I've been running a studio on Windows for over 25 years, so that's proof that it's possible, don't you think? I have to admit, though, that the Mac generally performs better without having to make many adjustments.

Mac is slightly easier to get there without effort yes.

Luc Henrion wrote:

Not a lot of difference in performance or latency, but it will not  auto-update, run anti-virus, launch indexing tasks, and a all sort of stupid processes in the background without asking.
Linux is a good idea only if you are going to use Pianoteq, a browser and a pdf reader. If you want more, optimizing windows is the way to go.

Last edited by marcos daniel (13-02-2024 06:03)
Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Luc Henrion wrote:

Yes, you are right, maybe I was too harsh on Windows. What I hate about Windows is that it's going in the wrong direction, every new version gives less control (at least by default) to the user.

Key Fumbler wrote:

I agree with everything except the background processes. Linux won't give you any difference in performance or latency (in fact, latency was worse in some experiments I carried out), but it will not  auto-update, run anti-virus, launch indexing tasks, and a all sort of stupid processes in the background without asking.
Linux is a good idea only if you are going to use Pianoteq, a browser and a pdf reader. If you want more, optimizing windows is the way to go.

Kawai CL35 & MP11

marcos daniel wrote:
Luc Henrion wrote:

Yes, you are right, maybe I was too harsh on Windows. What I hate about Windows is that it's going in the wrong direction, every new version gives less control (at least by default) to the user.

Key Fumbler wrote:

I agree with everything except the background processes. Linux won't give you any difference in performance or latency (in fact, latency was worse in some experiments I carried out), but it will not  auto-update, run anti-virus, launch indexing tasks, and a all sort of stupid processes in the background without asking.

I suppose a big chunk of whether those background is really noticeable/intrusive is the hardware you're running it on, and how fast your broadband is.

Certainly I have gone to efforts to turn off lots of the background processing anyway.

For me I already use some niche software anyway.
Expecting all developers to work in Linux is naive. Margins are slim as it is.
it is too much to lose going to Linux sadly. The benefits of staying with Windows far outweigh the issues.

Maybe I will build a Linux Pi5 at some point (mostly out of curiosity rather than necessity) but that's no serious threat to mainstream x86 computing.

M processors look good. Not at all keen on the modern Apple business model though.

I used an old Windows based MSI laptop, with a 4th generation i7 4700MQ and 16Mb of RAM (DDR3) with a MOTU MicroBook IIc sound interface and worked without any issue without limiting poliphony at all... the sound interface (specially with its own ASIO drivers) is the more critical choice.

My actual setup is a HP Victus Gaming Laptop (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, 16Gb of DDR4 RAM and a Roland OctaCapture audio interface for all my outputs needs) and is solid as a rock, using Pianoteq live with a combination of more plugins (GSi vB3, some Kontakt instances, Audiolounge KeyAffair...) and is a workhorse, no problem at all even on the hot summer of Spain, where I have seen some MacBooks Pro, without fans, shutting down because of high temperatures, as my 800€ budget gaming laptop keep the CPU temp on a steady 50ºC and is a workhorse for my needs on stage.

BEST REGARDS

Last edited by Tahlendorf (16-02-2024 23:37)

dynamics73 wrote:

thanks

Until you find the PC/MAC you need , you can restrict the presets to those that are using 2 mics only as 4 mics presets or more are much more CPU consuming which make senses as , you are layering the microphone emulations .
Personally I prefer to use Mac vs PC as the native audio drivers and the internal sound card is really excellent and compares favourably with many USB audio interfaces independently of speed .but you should be able to find plenty of recent fast PC/intel config that run PTQ smoothly.