Topic: Feature Request

Hello, does there exist any support adress or person to which you can transmit Feature Requests, optimizations etc?

Many digital organ players especially those using Subwoofers (but not only them) have issues with particular frequency problems in their room. This is normal, every room, building or church has it‘s own acoustic profile.

Acoustic disbalances in studios etc. normally are corrected using Soft- and Hardware Equalizers. Probably most of the organ players do not have full studio equipment including digital consoles, workstations or outboard effects.
Why does such a great all in one product like Organteq not yet have a simple parametric EQ, helping perfectly eliminating resonance frequencies?
Actually there is no suitable solution. The built in division EQs do not have parametric Notch filters with small Q factor in order to affect only a very narrow frequency range.

The only workaround until now might be to load Organteq in a professional DAW like for example Logic, Cubase and add a post production parametric EQ.
In the case you‘re working with multichannel output you even would have to load every division into a separate instance!
Disadvantages:
1. Very uncomfortable
2. a lot more of CPU consumation
3. additional latency
4. Host takes particulary over control of Organteq settings
5. tricky to set up and configure

I hope my post can be understood well, english is not my native language, but i do my very best.

Thanks in advance for a lively discussion.

Michael

Last edited by Stegi (28-01-2024 12:30)

Re: Feature Request

Stegi wrote:

The built in division EQs do not have parametric Notch filters with small Q factor in order to affect only a very narrow frequency range.

Hi Michael,
you can adjust the Q value and thus influence a very narrow frequency band by moving the EQ handle with the mouse while holding [shift] or entering the value numerically after right-clicking.

What kind of audio interface do you use? Some have integrated DSP effects, including parametric EQ, which could be used for the task described.

You can contact the Modartt support via this web address:
https://www.modartt.com/support

Pat wrote:
Stegi wrote:

The built in division EQs do not have parametric Notch filters with small Q factor in order to affect only a very narrow frequency range.

Hi Michael,
you can adjust the Q value and thus influence a very narrow frequency band by moving the EQ handle with the mouse while holding [shift] or entering the value numerically after right-clicking.

What kind of audio interface do you use? Some have integrated DSP effects, including parametric EQ, which could be used for the task described.

You can contact the Modartt support via this web address:
https://www.modartt.com/support

I use aFocusrite 8x8 . I think the low Filter is always a shelve.

Actually the low and the high filter always work as shelving type filters. Adjusting the Q Factor does not end in suitable results. Found a solution: The Mid filter works also as single band filter. This one is free configurable, you can put him in the subbas region. Maybe ther would be reqired one or two more filters. Don´t know, if the Modarrt Developers read the topics on their forum too.

Stegi wrote:

Found a solution: The Mid filter works also as single band filter. This one is free configurable, you can put him in the subbas region.

This was exactly my recommendation as it was meant in my last post.
Maybe I should have mentioned that only the middle filter can be parameterized as a notch filter (or as a bandpass).

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that the Modartt developers occasionally look at this forum and perhaps implement your suggestion to add a "global", flexibly adjustable EQ for the entire instrument in one of the next updates.

Pat wrote:

This was exactly my recommendation as it was meant in my last post.
Maybe I should have mentioned that only the middle filter can be parameterized as a notch filter (or as a bandpass).

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that the Modartt developers occasionally look at this forum and perhaps implement your suggestion to add a "global", flexibly adjustable EQ for the entire instrument in one of the next updates.

OK- then the actual configuration must be declared as bug: the bass/high filtern really can be adjusted in the Q factor, but are simultaneous configured as shelve. This is indeed a contradiction to be corrected in a former update.

Stegi wrote:

then the actual configuration must be declared as bug: the bass/high filtern really can be adjusted in the Q factor, but are simultaneous configured as shelve. This is indeed a contradiction...

Can you explain in more detail where there is a bug or a contradiction?

Pat wrote:

I made a little Video to show the effect on the equalization Curve-
1. Mid Filter: perfect Notchfilter, eliminating only a specific Frequency.
2. Bass Filter: modifying the Q for creating Notch Effects does some crazy curve. The reason is the obligatory shelving characteristic of the filter. Shure- even a shelve can have a higher or lower Q. But the resulting curve dooes not help equalizing problematic Room issues. The solution would be a simple checkbox wether a shelving or a Notch filter characteristic is desired by the User. The momentary situation only allows to correct one room resonance. What to do, if there are two or three?

https://youtu.be/b3-ADGrGSbI?si=GDZ2YQ2v9sOGcRGR

Last edited by Stegi (31-01-2024 12:19)

Stegi wrote:
Pat wrote:

I made a little Video to show the effect on the equalization Curve-
1. Mid Filter: perfect Notchfilter, eliminating only a specific Frequency.
2. Bass Filter: modifying the Q for creating Notch Effects does some crazy curve. The reason is the obligatory shelving characteristic of the filter. Shure- even a shelve can have a higher or lower Q. But the resulting curve dooes not help equalizing problematic Room issues. The solution would be a simple checkbox wether a shelving or a Notch filter characteristic is desired by the User. The momentary situation only allows to correct one room resonance. What to do, if there are two or three?

https://youtu.be/b3-ADGrGSbI?si=GDZ2YQ2v9sOGcRGR

Hello Michael, now I understand what you mean. I hardly believe that Modartt modifies the EQs available for the individual divisions according to your ideas, because these EQs have a completely different task, namely to model sound differences between the divisions, as can be heard on real organs due to the design conditions.

Stegi wrote:

The only workaround until now might be to load Organteq in a professional DAW like for example Logic, Cubase and add a post production parametric EQ.

Back to your initial question.
As long as we don't have a "main EQ" available in Organteq - how about using a simple VST host program instead of a big DAW?
Cantabile (as an example) already provides all the necessary functions in the free Lite version and, in my opinion, runs very stable.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/free-vst-host

Pat wrote:
Stegi wrote:

Back to your initial question.
As long as we don't have a "main EQ" available in Organteq - how about using a simple VST host program instead of a big DAW?
Cantabile (as an example) already provides all the necessary functions in the free Lite version and, in my opinion, runs very stable.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/free-vst-host

Shure, this is a workaround, but i did not want to buy a genuine software at the price of 269€ and then turn it into the slave of a host. We should benefit from a solid and stable working standalone software. It‘s so simple to program a software EQ….