Topic: Pianoteq 8.2 and personal presets

The overhaul is so significant that some personal modified presets may no longer give the expected result.
Rather stick to the basic presets, which sound so much better that you don't need to change them.
An example: I've never been keen on Steinways. I've just made a quick impro test by opening Pianoteq in a new Reaper project, and once I'd finished my improvisation I realised that by default Pianoteq had loaded the Steinway D Classical.
Here's the result, without retouching, just this Steinway with all its default settings including the straight velocity curve.

https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/zylk-theta-kudiacz/

Re: Pianoteq 8.2 and personal presets

I'm finding a similar thing, starting to explore pianos I hadn't played much before, such as the Petrofs and K2. Really enjoyed this piece. I have no idea what the title means (if anything!) but it sounds as if it could be an ancient legend. Super sound!

dazric wrote:

I'm finding a similar thing, starting to explore pianos I hadn't played much before, such as the Petrofs and K2. Really enjoyed this piece. I have no idea what the title means (if anything!) but it sounds as if it could be an ancient legend. Super sound!

Indeed, it means nothing.
I usually spend so much time looking for a title, so sometimes I make up words that don't exist.
I just make sure that these words doesn't mean anything in any known language...

https://hearthis.at/xnwdv7yv/zylk-theta-kudiacz/

Small update : changed "Microphones" to "Stereophonic".

Last edited by Gaston (25-01-2024 01:35)

I already mentioned this in another thread: I said that the first preset in each list is always special, it's not the first by chance.

I noticed this when, in this 8.2.0 update, I was forced to leave aside the presets that I had been used to for years to try out new tones that I liked. I discovered that the first ones are always more versatile and balanced.

Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

I tried most of the presets on 8.2 and my favorite is Petrof Mistral Warm. It has a pleasant tone and rich bass.

Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

I already mentioned this in another thread: I said that the first preset in each list is always special, it's not the first by chance.

I noticed this when, in this 8.2.0 update, I was forced to leave aside the presets that I had been used to for years to try out new tones that I liked. I discovered that the first ones are always more versatile and balanced.

I'm afraid that this observation should lead me to rework my previous productions with the basic presets!

Gaston wrote:
Professor Leandro Duarte wrote:

I'm afraid that this observation should lead me to rework my previous productions with the basic presets!

For a few years now, I've been sticking to just using the "basic" presets (NY Steinway Model D, HB Steinway Model D, K2 Basic, Rhodes MKII Basic Mono...). I preferred them because I believed they were more realistic, and therefore would give me the best possible experience for the physical model. Also, I was based on the description:
"A versatile preset with a pristine sound, the closest to the original New York Steinway Model D concert grand piano. A good starting point for creating new presets."

However, I noticed that there were changes in the "EQUALIZER" graph. Soon, I understood that he is not as "faithful" as I thought.

Plus, the first preset is always easiest to find in each list (lol).

Last edited by Professor Leandro Duarte (25-01-2024 15:56)
Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria