Topic: Risoluto from ”Five short pieces” for the Organ 1908, Horatio Parker

Risoluto from ”Five short pieces” for the Organ 1908, Horatio Parker

Facts about the composer Parker can be found after the video for those interested, a more recent composer, but forgotten ? died 1919.
During his lifetime he was considered to be the finest composer in the United States, a superior craftsman writing in the most advanced style.

No one has ever played this piece with such a registration as my, but no one has had an instrument with such an almost infinite number of registration possibilities either   

I am always coming back to this comment about Organteq 2:     ”Everything in Organteq can be tweaked - from the composition of the organ to the sound of each pipe - making it possible to reproduce a wide variety of existing organs or to explore unknowns musical lands”     Love it!   Always trying to find new ways with registrations, why use the same one all the time when there are 1000 possibilities with new experiences...

https://youtu.be/zmYyO0Rl2_E

Horatio William Parker (September 15, 1863 – December 18, 1919) was an American composer, organist and teacher. He was a central figure in musical life in New Haven, Connecticut in the late 19th century, and is best remembered as the undergraduate teacher of Charles Ives while the composer attended Yale University.

He was born in Auburndale, Massachusetts. His earliest lessons were with his mother. He then studied in Boston with George Whitefield Chadwick, Stephen A. Emery and John Orth. He finished his formal education in Europe, where he studied in Munich with Josef Rheinberger; also in Munich he composed his first significant works, including a symphony and a dramatic cantata. From 1888 to 1893, he was organist of Trinity Church, New York City, and from 1893 to 1901 organist of Trinity Church, Boston. In 1893, Parker became Battell Professor of the theory of music at Yale University. He was appointed Dean of Music at that school in 1904, a position which he held for the rest of his life.

During his lifetime he was considered to be the finest composer in the United States, a superior craftsman writing in the most advanced style.

"Five Short Pieces" were published by G. Schirmer in 1908. "Risoluto" is the fifth and last piece in the set.

It is dramatic and breathless. In a dark D minor, the piece grabs you, surging ahead with no time to catch your breath. The grandioso conclusion passes to the major, and the great storm ends without the loss of momentum. A fitting finale!

Horatio Parker is a composer that should NOT be overlooked!
(text with permission ftom my friend Dave)

All the best, everyone,

Stig

Re: Risoluto from ”Five short pieces” for the Organ 1908, Horatio Parker

Thanks for the discovery, Stig ! First time I listen to this composer. Charlie is more famous, sure

Did I hear some accordion during the piece ? 

One question : how does react CPU when you press the pedal to have the big sound ? In this case, I find Organteq eats CPU a lot (even with a modern computer).

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Great to hear a piece by Charles Ives' teacher! Strong Bach influence, but an individual voice. At 2:12 I heard a little pre-echo of Bernstein's Tonight from West Side Story...  Love the registration at the end, super.

Borealis wrote:

Thanks for the discovery, Stig ! First time I listen to this composer. Charlie is more famous, sure

Did I hear some accordion during the piece ? 

One question : how does react CPU when you press the pedal to have the big sound ? In this case, I find Organteq eats CPU a lot (even with a modern computer).

No accordion in my arrangement here, but it's fantastic if you can get the Organteq to sound like that too. Nothing is impossible.

My little Mac mini from 2014 is bad and can’t manage with the cpu Orgtq take.   2,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor and memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. When I need all stops it says can’t handle all information and stops working …….Have learned to use less stops when recording and adding the rest of stops just before rendering to mp3. That way I can get almost full soound at times. For example the registration at the end which is super, had to add stops before rendering.

I need a new Mac with those Me3 chips and big memory, 8 giga is nothing…Saving money. Must get the most modern and strongest mac for Organteq and tutti playing.
Thanks Borealis for the question and thanks so much for listening to my music.. Continuing to search for unknown forgotten composers' music to make them known in the forum.

Best wishes,

Stig

dazric wrote:

Great to hear a piece by Charles Ives' teacher! Strong Bach influence, but an individual voice. At 2:12 I heard a little pre-echo of Bernstein's Tonight from West Side Story...  Love the registration at the end, super.

Thank you for telling about charles Ives. had to read about them, interesting, sometimes he didn't follow Parkers instructions  .

Thanks for listening to my music and giving comments. Appreciate it.I will continue to search for unknown forgotten composers' music to make them known in the forum.

Best wishes,

Stig

very interesting piece and nice to learn about this composer.  i enjoyed your registration.

budo wrote:

very interesting piece and nice to learn about this composer.  i enjoyed your registration.

Thank you for liking my writing about composers and for mentioning the registration. Appreciate always your comments. Thank you budo.

Best wishes,

Stig

Hi Stig, I've enjoyed the bass tones in here a lot, for me it really carried the piece. Always great to see what you can do with Organteq 2

kencarlino wrote:

Hi Stig, I've enjoyed the bass tones in here a lot, for me it really carried the piece. Always great to see what you can do with Organteq 2

Thank you ken for your kindness and nice feedback. Appreciate you are listening.

Best wishes,

Stig