Topic: Piano in Minor: Vol 1 - Block of Songs with Bechstein DG

Fairly simplified music block of 20 handpicked songs. Attempting to get my composition algorithms to be a bit more melodic. Played back to back live without my intervention and opted to try not inventing names for each song but instead treating the album as more of a continuous flow of songs  Likely that will further kill views on YouTube but it's more enjoyable for me this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cyImtZZG_8

Actually this originally started with 2 pianos then I switched to 2 guitars with drums and bass and ultimately returned to just a single piano.

Re: Piano in Minor: Vol 1 - Block of Songs with Bechstein DG

kencarlino wrote:

Fairly simplified music block of 20 handpicked songs. Attempting to get my composition algorithms to be a bit more melodic. Played back to back live without my intervention and opted to try not inventing names for each song but instead treating the album as more of a continuous flow of songs  Likely that will further kill views on YouTube but it's more enjoyable for me this way.

Actually this originally started with 2 pianos then I switched to 2 guitars with drums and bass and ultimately returned to just a single piano.

Hi ken,

Maybe it won't necessarily kill views on YouTube further, because this way you get a nice playlist for free and not a 3 minute song. Thanks for that ken And not only more fun for you, but also for the listener. In any case, that's how I see it.
I noticed especially the sections from about 14,20 - 16,00 that was less volym and softer. And also from about 23,50 - 29, 50 that was different, faster.  Liked those sections, thank you.
”Continuos flow”, maybe I should do the same with, for example, the ten best organteq or guitar songs….

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
kencarlino wrote:

Hi ken,

Maybe it won't necessarily kill views on YouTube further, because this way you get a nice playlist for free and not a 3 minute song. Thanks for that ken And not only more fun for you, but also for the listener. In any case, that's how I see it.
I noticed especially the sections from about 14,20 - 16,00 that was less volym and softer. And also from about 23,50 - 29, 50 that was different, faster.  Liked those sections, thank you.
”Continuos flow”, maybe I should do the same with, for example, the ten best organteq or guitar songs….

Best wishes,

Stig

Hi Stig, Thank you very much for the feedback!  Good points about the softer and faster parts, maybe I have too much variation that some parts become too soft in the overall single track. Also good points about the listener experience.

Ken

Hey there Ken,

This was nice and restful - I can picture lying a hammock and reading a book with this playing in the background with some sea-shell windchimes clattering away in the distance . There was a very lovely melody fragment at about 29:08. Did you write the algorithm yourself - what language did you use for it?

Keep well..

Hello Ken,

Same feel and question as Muddy.

Otherwise, there are some moments I feel some similarities, as concerns the harmonic progression and ambiance (not the melody), with this famous piece : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpo5Ro1...mp;index=4

Just my feel...

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Hey MD, thank you for the feedback and comments!  Thanks for pointing out the position and I went at listened at this point and it's funny when someone calls attention to something a person can hear it different and yeah I can here that now.

I'm a software engineer by profession with most of my work in C/C++ and Rust, however, for this personal music project I ended up using Sonic Pi (which is Ruby based) it can make a number of things easier with music generation as it's geared towards live music (live coding I think the creator calls it). But yeah from this Sonic Pi base I created all the algorithms  I use in all the music I create (output as Midi fed to the DAW and instruments). When there are multiple instruments it is always played live together with no intervention from me. Kind of a strange limit that I placed on myself with this project that all tracks for songs must to recorded together live and that I wouldn't do any manual note editing. I do usually to minor post filtering in Audacity to amplify/normalize the volume.  However, my reasoning for this limit is that if I allowed myself to manual edit things I would likely get sucked into endless days tweaking one song, which might be what is needed to create really unique personal songs but that wasn't exactly my goal.

AI with LLMs likely can do this much better than my algorithm approach now but not sure there are any AI music solutions that do this live or focus more on Midi composition rather than direct to sound generation. That said I haven't really looked much.

Thanks again!
Ken

Borealis wrote:

Hello Ken,

Same feel and question as Muddy.

Otherwise, there are some moments I feel some similarities, as concerns the harmonic progression and ambiance (not the melody), with this famous piece : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpo5Ro1...mp;index=4

Just my feel...

Hi Borealis, thanks for the feedback!  See my post in reply to MD about the technical side of things.

Yes I can feel some of that similar chord progression and arpeggio styling in her playing but yes indeed her melody is vibrant and expressive. Something I continue to struggle with on my approach. Thanks for sharing the link, I do believe you made a similar comparison to some other song I posted some while back, and true in both cases.