Topic: Rachmaninov: Excerpt from Piano Concerto Op 30 Mvt II

Here is a short excerpt from the second movement of Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto, Op 30.

https://youtu.be/rWW_Ai2yhLI

It picks up at rehearsal mark 25 and continues up to mark 37 (approximate duration 08:45).

I hope you will enjoy it, and thank you for listening !

Technical Notes:
For this I used the Antonin Petrof grand piano (the 2.75m offering, not the "Mistral" one) with the "Recording 3" preset. I did not make any adjustments to it other than turning off the reverb since I would add that afterwards via the DAW. Bravo Pianoteq for making this piano available - you guys have done an amazing job with capturing this piano!

Performance Notes:
Originally, I had not planned on capturing the "Scherzando" part of this movement (Rachmaninov's Haunted Ballroom waltz episode..), since I had thought to play part of it only and then fade out the soundtrack. However, I did not like doing that to Rachmaninov's music, so I decided rather to learn the rest of the section and then had to record it in a separate session (since I'd already started adding in the orchestra parts to what I'd captured previously). I left in many of the imperfections since I thought that no one would believe I had played it otherwise I did make a video of me playing the movement as well, but decided rather not to add it because my fingers looked like baby carrots in the video for some reason..

Re: Rachmaninov: Excerpt from Piano Concerto Op 30 Mvt II

1MuddyDog wrote:

Here is a short excerpt from the second movement of Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto, Op 30.

https://youtu.be/rWW_Ai2yhLI

It picks up at rehearsal mark 25 and continues up to mark 37 (approximate duration 08:45).

I hope you will enjoy it, and thank you for listening !

Technical Notes:
For this I used the Antonin Petrof grand piano (the 2.75m offering, not the "Mistral" one) with the "Recording 3" preset. I did not make any adjustments to it other than turning off the reverb since I would add that afterwards via the DAW. Bravo Pianoteq for making this piano available - you guys have done an amazing job with capturing this piano!

Performance Notes:
Originally, I had not planned on capturing the "Scherzando" part of this movement (Rachmaninov's Haunted Ballroom waltz episode..), since I had thought to play part of it only and then fade out the soundtrack. However, I did not like doing that to Rachmaninov's music, so I decided rather to learn the rest of the section and then had to record it in a separate session (since I'd already started adding in the orchestra parts to what I'd captured previously). I left in many of the imperfections since I thought that no one would believe I had played it otherwise I did make a video of me playing the movement as well, but decided rather not to add it because my fingers looked like baby carrots in the video for some reason..

The movement of this concerto make me slightly afraid or worried from 2,10 and from 3.20 and 4,26  but then wonderful climax from 5,42.
It's amazing, I feel that you put in so much effort in this.  A masterful performance at the level of a great pianist, you are.
And Petrof sounds wonderful.
If you have not seen this the room where Petrof sound captured I put a link, very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2-WPUr6P8

Thanks again for sharing, always a joy listening.

Best wishes,

Stig

brilliant playing!  really outstanding

budo wrote:

brilliant playing!  really outstanding

Hey there budo,

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it!

Keep well..

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

The movement of this concerto make me slightly afraid or worried from 2,10 and from 3.20 and 4,26  but then wonderful climax from 5,42.
It's amazing, I feel that you put in so much effort in this.  A masterful performance at the level of a great pianist, you are.
And Petrof sounds wonderful.
If you have not seen this the room where Petrof sound captured I put a link, very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2-WPUr6P8

Thanks again for sharing, always a joy listening.

Best wishes,

Stig

Hey there Stig,

Thanks very much for your kind and detailed comment, much appreciated as always!

I'm enjoying the Petrof piano very much - so far I haven't had to do anything and it sounds as good as in the demo track! I had actually seen that video a few days ago - it was posted in the "Pianoteq User Forum" by miiindbullets in response to a question from another user. It was indeed very interesting to watch.

A wish for good health and strength for you, and everything of the best for the new year.

Gorgeous, just gorgeous--

One thing I love about the Ant. Petrov Recording 3 preset is the microphones and their placement and settings. I saved them as a custom setting, then froze the microphone parameters so that they would apply to any other instrument and preset I chose. Love the effect.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (01-01-2024 00:22)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Gorgeous, just gorgeous--

One thing I love about the Ant. Petrov Recording 3 preset is the microphones and their placement and settings. I saved them as a custom setting, then froze the microphone parameters so that they would apply to any other instrument and preset I chose. Love the effect.

Hey there Stephen,

Thanks for your comment, much appreciated and very glad you enjoyed the Rachmaninov.

The Petrov pianos are really nice. I'm enjoying them very much - they are quite responsive with a big sound when needed. I still have only the "Stage" version of PianoTeq, so I can't really see all these settings or even play around with them to explore their effects. One day though, I will upgrade..

P.S. Hope "Donal" is well too

1MuddyDog wrote:

Donal is doing well, thank you.

Your piano technique sounds so well-developed and sensitive (I'm a bit envious because I have small, cancer-damaged hands and arms), and you are an excellent conductor of the very convincing synthetic orchestra.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (01-01-2024 16:46)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

One word : Bravo !

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Borealis wrote:

One word : Bravo !

Hey there Borealis

Great hearing from you again. Very glad you enjoyed it. As you can hear, I'm really enjoying the Petrof pianos (although I haven't used the "Mistral" one very much) - it was because of your recommendation that I chose this pack, so thanks

Hope your new year is off to a great start, hope you get to write/produce lots of music this year!

Cheers..

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
1MuddyDog wrote:

Donal is doing well, thank you.

Your piano technique sounds so well-developed and sensitive (I'm a bit envious because I have small, cancer-damaged hands and arms), and you are an excellent conductor of the very convincing synthetic orchestra.

Hey there Stephen

Sorry for the late reply, but only saw your edit/update now: So very sorry to hear about your hands and arms - hope it doesn't cause you too much pain/discomfort!

Looking forward to some more music from "Donal"..

Keep well!

1MuddyDog wrote:

Here is a new link to the video (the old one doesn't work any longer):

https://youtu.be/axSOKOj_hIE

Glad I caught this on the video repost, Epic! Very enjoyable listen!

kencarlino wrote:

Glad I caught this on the video repost, Epic! Very enjoyable listen!

Hey there Ken,

Thanks for your comment - very glad you enjoyed it! How is the Rust going?

Cheers..