Topic: Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody Op 43 Var 18 (Pianoteq + CSS)

Here is a rework of a video that I made some time ago: the famous 18th Variation from Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini:

https://youtu.be/gil8FhKnj7o

The piano part is the same as before, although I mixed it down with different preset and eq. This time however (..and the reason for the repost..) I did the strings with the Cinematic Studio Strings vst, so now they sound nice and full as with a real orchestra.

I hope you will enjoy it, and thanks as always for listening !

Technical Info:
Piano: Steinway Model D (Hamburg), closed mic preset with no eq or reverb; eq and reverb were applied via the DAW
Woodwinds and Brass: The Alpine Project
Strings: Cinematic Studio Strings

Re: Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody Op 43 Var 18 (Pianoteq + CSS)

1MuddyDog wrote:

Here is a rework of a video that I made some time ago: the famous 18th Variation from Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini:

The piano part is the same as before, although I mixed it down with different preset and eq. This time however (..and the reason for the repost..) I did the strings with the Cinematic Studio Strings vst, so now they sound nice and full as with a real orchestra.

Technical Info:
Piano: Steinway Model D (Hamburg), closed mic preset with no eq or reverb; eq and reverb were applied via the DAW

At first, I enjoyed this very much. Thank you MD.

Beautiful interpretation of one of the greatest romantic pieces.
The gentleness and emotion with which you play this piece moved me, when the strings came…almost made me tear up….
Brilliantly done, thank you MD.
And I am glad how you play before the strings come in, from 1,11 - and forte at 1,13  and a bit p before the strings. I try to listen carefully and for details

All the best,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (05-12-2023 03:36)

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
1MuddyDog wrote:

Technical Info:

At first, I enjoyed this very much. Thank you MD.

Beautiful interpretation of one of the greatest romantic pieces.
The gentleness and emotion with which you play this piece moved me, when the strings came…almost made me tear up….
Brilliantly done, thank you MD.
And I am glad how you play before the strings come in, from 1,11 - and forte at 1,13  and a bit p before the strings. I try to listen carefully and for details

All the best,

Stig

Hey there Stig

Thanks as always for your kind and insightful comment, it's always greatly appreciated.

I'm glad the music moved you so. Rachmaninov somehow seems to write music that, even if for a brief moment, takes you to a place where time seems to stand still and all the troubles in the world are forgotten

Keep well Stig - a wish for good health and strength for you
- 1MD

Beautiful and epic Muddy!  The really enjoyed the mostly solo piano as it was very thoughtful and gentle but the full string set moved it to a different level, and while I missed the solo piano, songs evolve ( except mine )

kencarlino wrote:

Beautiful and epic Muddy!  The really enjoyed the mostly solo piano as it was very thoughtful and gentle but the full string set moved it to a different level, and while I missed the solo piano, songs evolve ( except mine )

Hey there Ken!

Nice to hear from you. Hope your new year is off to a great start.

Glad you enjoyed the piece - good strings make a big difference to the outcome (although CSS seems to sound better through headphones than PC speakers since you can hear their mic positioning better). Just curious: In what ways would you like your songs to evolve if you could make them do that?

Keep well..

Yes thanks the new year is going well so far, I hope the same for you too!  I listen almost 100% with headphones.