Topic: Organteq with a single MIDI controller

Hello,

I just purchased Organteq, and I am looking for a single MIDI controller (manual) to get started learning the Organ.  Ideally I would be able to switch between manuals using a button on the MIDI controller.  This is demonstrated in the YouTube video posted yesterday here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j94rQ-zoYgE&t=198s  @  2 minutes 41 seconds.

I think the reason this works is because he has a controller that is letting him switch between channels.

My questions are:
In Organteq, is there a way or are there plans to have a way to use a button on the MIDI controller to change the manual being used?

If this will not be possible, do you happen to know which MIDI controllers will support this feature of switching channels?  (I'm looking for a controller with a synth action similar to an actual organ, so trying to avoid semi weighted or weighted actions.)

Thank you for your help!

Willliam

Last edited by wstuart (01-12-2023 21:09)

Re: Organteq with a single MIDI controller

wstuart wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased Organteq, and I am looking for a single MIDI controller (manual) to get started learning the Organ.  Ideally I would be able to switch between manuals using a button on the MIDI controller.  This is demonstrated in the YouTube video posted yesterday here:

I think the reason this works is because he has a controller that is letting him switch between channels.

My questions are:
In Organteq, is there a way or are there plans to have a way to use a button on the MIDI controller to change the manual being used?

If this will not be possible, do you happen to know which MIDI controllers will support this feature of switching channels?  (I'm looking for a controller with a synth action similar to an actual organ, so trying to avoid semi weighted or weighted actions.)

Thank you for your help!

Willliam

Hi, William,
most MIDI controller keyboards, even the cheap ones, have the option to set the MIDI channel on which the notes and controller events are sent to anything (between 1 and 16).
Of course, it may be that changing the MIDI channel is only possible via software and not (as you probably want) via keyboard controls.
Which keyboard are you thinking of specifically? Then just take a look at the user manual to see if there is anything about it.

The MIDI channel settings are part of Organteq's MIDI mappings. These cannot be changed individually via MIDI signals.
However, it is possible to switch complete Organteq presets via MIDI, and different MIDI mappings could also be loaded in this way.

Pat,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I was looking at the Nektar Panorama T6 and the Arturia KeyLab Essential MK3, however I don’t know if these are good choices or not and would greatly appreciate any advice you have on what models would be better choices.

Thanks you!

William

Pat wrote:
wstuart wrote:

Hello,

My questions are:

Thank you for your help!

Willliam

Hi, William,
most MIDI controller keyboards, even the cheap ones, have the option to set the MIDI channel on which the notes and controller events are sent to anything (between 1 and 16).
Of course, it may be that changing the MIDI channel is only possible via software and not (as you probably want) via keyboard controls.
Which keyboard are you thinking of specifically? Then just take a look at the user manual to see if there is anything about it.

The MIDI channel settings are part of Organteq's MIDI mappings. These cannot be changed individually via MIDI signals.
However, it is possible to switch complete Organteq presets via MIDI, and different MIDI mappings could also be loaded in this way.

wstuart wrote:

Pat,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I was looking at the Nektar Panorama T6 and the Arturia KeyLab Essential MK3, however I don’t know if these are good choices or not and would greatly appreciate any advice you have on what models would be better choices.

Thanks you!

William

Hi,
Both keyboards you mentioned offer the option of setting the MIDI channel directly on the device.
With the Nektar Panorama T6 it's a little more complicated because you have to navigate through several menus each time.
With the Arturia Keylab, MIDI channel setting is very simple:

https://downloads.arturia.net/products/...0_0_EN.pdf

"You can easily change that channel number by holding the MIDI Channel button and pressing the correct key on the keyboard.
The notes from the lowest C to D# (Eb) in the second octave set MIDI channels to 1–16.
Example: If you want to transmit on channel 10, hold the MIDI Channel button and hit the lowest A key"