Topic: Solo Piano in Classic Style : Honeycomb (+ more about my music)

This is from around 1.5 years ago, likely it is Bechstein DG as I use it 95% of the time for my piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBwR6Be...mp;index=1

Note: all my music is 100% generated from my custom software algorithms I develop (and never have shared) that feed directly into virtual instruments in real time. Around a couple of years ago when I started this project I decided to never hand tweak a song so therefore every song, even multi-instrument songs, are created and played in real time. Even more, each entire album is played one song after another another with no alternation to the algorithms or configuration. I do however do some very basic mastering of the songs after recorded to get the level closer to right.

It's funny, now when I go back and listen to some songs I can really like them and realize the algorithms constantly evolved, and I realize I can't even achieve the same results anymore sometimes (well unless I revert to old software). Also I concluded some time ago that I don't really improve anything I do anymore and it really is just "different" and it's often just a matter of my taste at the moment and as soon as my taste changes I change the algorithms...evolve.

Anyway, not sure if this is interesting to the group here as the majority of the folks here can actually play instruments, and the most I am is a conductor of the composer.   This is not to say what I do is easy, there is a large amount of listening and tweaking and adjusting to try to get the sound I want.

Anyway about Honeycomb, this is one of my rare concept albums where the entire album was intended to be about bees ( Ok maybe not so original )  Here is the entire album:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O...PUO_tlgE38

Thanks for listening to the words and music.

Ken

Last edited by kencarlino (20-11-2023 05:31)

Re: Solo Piano in Classic Style : Honeycomb (+ more about my music)

kencarlino wrote:

This is from around 1.5 years ago, likely it is Bechstein DG as I use it 95% of the time for my piano.

Note: all my music is 100% generated from my custom software algorithms I develop (and never have shared) that feed directly into virtual instruments in real time. Around a couple of years ago when I started this project I decided to never hand tweak a song so therefore every song, even multi-instrument songs, are created and played in real time. Even more, each entire album is played one song after another another with no alternation to the algorithms or configuration. I do however do some very basic mastering of the songs after recorded to get the level closer to right.

It's funny, now when I go back and listen to some songs I can really like them and realize the algorithms constantly evolved, and I realize I can't even achieve the same results anymore sometimes (well unless I revert to old software). Also I concluded some time ago that I don't really improve anything I do anymore and it really is just "different" and it's often just a matter of my taste at the moment and as soon as my taste changes I change the algorithms...evolve.

Anyway, not sure if this is interesting to the group here as the majority of the folks here can actually play instruments, and the most I am is a conductor of the composer.   This is not to say what I do is easy, there is a large amount of listening and tweaking and adjusting to try to get the sound I want.

Anyway about Honeycomb, this is one of my rare concept albums where the entire album was intended to be about bees ( Ok maybe not so original )  Here is the entire album:

Ken

Thanks ken  for your music and detailed description, now I'm really interested. I'll try to play the way your honeycomb sounds, interesting experiment....

All the best,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
kencarlino wrote:

Ken

Thanks ken  for your music and detailed description, now I'm really interested. I'll try to play the way your honeycomb sounds, interesting experiment....

All the best,

Stig

Ah that will be interesting, be cautious I have at times generated songs that might not be humanly possible to play, well without 15 fingers at least.

that is very interesting to learn.  actually i didn't realize that you were doing the music algorithmically, i thought you were playing all the parts into a DAW.  very interesting in hearing more about it.  i've done some algorithmic music myself but it certainly never sounds like it could be plausibly human-composed.

budo wrote:

that is very interesting to learn.  actually i didn't realize that you were doing the music algorithmically, i thought you were playing all the parts into a DAW.  very interesting in hearing more about it.  i've done some algorithmic music myself but it certainly never sounds like it could be plausibly human-composed.

Thanks Budo, the algorithms can do some things decently but it still struggles with emotion and I didn't do well to make the songs dynamic or unique (without changing some the algorithm configurations).