Topic: Old song Home, Sweet Home (Organteq 2)

Old song Home, Sweet Home (Organteq 2)

Genre: Early 20th century
One more composer to know

This can sound easy, but ocasionally, even in an easy piece, there are harder sections.

I think this is a delightful transcription of a beautiful old song.
This famous melody was transcribed and paraphrased by Edwin Henry Lemare, (1865-1934) as part of his "Encore Series." It is dedicated: "In memory of my beloved Mother”.
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/ulwH0-Zxw6I

Edwin Henry Lemare (9 September 1865 – 24 September 1934) was an English organist and composer who lived the latter part of his life in the United States. He was the most highly regarded and highly paid organist of his generation, as well as the greatest performer and one of the most important composers of the late Romantic English-American Organ School.

He was born in Ventnor, on the Isle of Wight on 9 September 1865. He received his early musical training as a chorister and organist under his father (a music seller, also called Edwin Lemare) at Holy Trinity Church. He then spent three years at the Royal Academy of Music from 1876 on a Goss Scholarship, where he studied under Sir George Alexander Macfarren, Walter Cecil Macfarren, Dr Charles Steggall and Dr Edmund Hart Turpin, obtained the F.R.C.O. in 1886, and became an organ professor and examiner for the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in 1892.

He gained fame by playing two recitals a day, over a hundred in total, at the Inventions Exhibition in 1884. He gave bi-weekly recitals at the Park Hall, Cardiff, from 1886; this was followed by further appointments around Great Britain.

After apparently treating church services in London as concerts, he left for a hundred-recital tour of the United States and Canada from 1900/01, and stayed in North America for most of the remainder of his life, and died in Hollywood, California.

Notice:
This famous melody was transcribed and paraphrased by Lemare, as part of his "Encore Series." It is dedicated: "In memory of my beloved Mother”.

And now, I dedicate it to the memory of my own beloved Mother who passed away 2019.

History

"Home Sweet Home" was written by American lyricist John Howard Payne and English composer Sir Henry Bishop for an opera that was first produced in London in 1823. The song became hugely popular throughout the United States, and was a favorite of both Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.

Lyrics
chorus:
Home! Home!
Sweet, sweet home!
There's no place like home

verses:
'Mid pleasures and palaces
Though I may roam
Be it ever so humble

A charm from the sky
Seems to hallow us there
Which seek thro' the world
Is ne'er met with elsewhere

To thee, I'll return
Overburdened with care
The heart's dearest solace
W ill smile on me there

No more from that cottage
A gain I will roam
Be it ever so humble

Stay tuned!  I am constantly looking for, and finding, more forgotten, different rare gems to see the light of day, to make them known, for you and all listener.

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: Old song Home, Sweet Home (Organteq 2)

lovely performance of this arrangement.  i really liked the sentimental registrations and the emotion in the playing.

budo wrote:

lovely performance of this arrangement.  i really liked the sentimental registrations and the emotion in the playing.

Thank you budo. I appreciate your comment and your kindness very much.

Best wishes,

Stig

Stig, you play this lovely arrangement with such deep feeling. It's quite moving and beautiful, Enjoyed your program notes, too. I hadn't realized this song was composed as early as it was.

Such a pleasure!

All the best!

Robert

algorhythms wrote:

Stig, you play this lovely arrangement with such deep feeling. It's quite moving and beautiful, Enjoyed your program notes, too. I hadn't realized this song was composed as early as it was.

Such a pleasure!

All the best!

Robert

Thank you Robert for your kindness and comment and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Stig

I really like the atmosphere of this piece, such as warm and close feeling. Well done!

Hey there Stig

What a lovely, peaceful song - it had a very nostalgic feel to it, and sounded a lot like some of the hymns of Welsh origin that we used to sing at school. I liked the words also. Thank you also for all the informative program notes.

If you are looking for hidden gems, maybe this one? (Not sure if it qualifies as hidden   - this particular hymn has a more well-known melody but the alternate tune is quite nice too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpNLnc...BiZWlzbmVy

Keep well,
1MD

kencarlino wrote:

I really like the atmosphere of this piece, such as warm and close feeling. Well done!

Thank you so much ken. I appreciate your kind words.

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (30-10-2023 21:34)

1MuddyDog wrote:

Hey there Stig

What a lovely, peaceful song - it had a very nostalgic feel to it, and sounded a lot like some of the hymns of Welsh origin that we used to sing at school. I liked the words also. Thank you also for all the informative program notes.

If you are looking for hidden gems, maybe this one? (Not sure if it qualifies as hidden   - this particular hymn has a more well-known melody but the alternate tune is quite nice too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpNLnc...BiZWlzbmVy

Keep well,
1MD

Thank you 1MD, for your kind and most generous comments. They are appreciated and highly valued.
I’m always looking for forgotten, and finding, more forgotten, different rare gems to see the light of day, to make them known, for all listener.

John Baptiste Calkin (16 March 1827, London – 15 April 1905, he wrote much for the organ, including numerous transcription. Let’s see if I can find some sheet for organ…,
This My Song Is Love Unknown is realy beautiful. And a gem   
Thank you for your kindness.

Best wishes,

Stig