Topic: MODARTT VIDEO CONTEST 2023 - entries

MODARTT VIDEO CONTEST 2023 - entries

Video Contest 2023

Here you can link to your own video on Youtube and participate in the Modartt video contest.

Click the "Post reply" button and paste the Youtube URL of your video in your message. The video will be displayed automatically. Feel free to provide some further information about the video that you believe might be of interest to the readers. If you do not have any forum user account yet, you can create one here.

The contest is open to everyone. If you are not yet a registered Pianoteq or Organteq user, you may use the latest trial version which you can download here.

Rules in short:

• Only one entry per contestant is allowed.

• The video needs to be new, not published before.

• It needs to be clear on the video that you are using Pianoteq 8 or Organteq 2, either by showing the interface, talking about or displaying Pianoteq 8 or Organteq 2 in text.

• The video needs to be uploaded to Youtube.

Further instructions, voting information and the complete rules are available here.

Here are a few tips on how to create and upload your own Youtube video:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-YouTube-Video
https://www.wikihow.com/Upload-a-Video-to-YouTube

We accept new entries until November 15, 2023 (23:59 CET Central European Time).

Good luck!

Re: MODARTT VIDEO CONTEST 2023 - entries

Exceptional (Steinway B Dreamy)

My entry this year, and…

…I am not the most entertaining musician of our time at all, but I find it very encouraging to be in these contests every year, and I think I have found my niche in this fantastic musical landscape. After Chloes Dream, Ptqenthusiast’s Dance and eight more…..   Enjoy my entry this year, my composition ”Exceptional”.
You may need to turn the volume down a bit, recorded with headphones.

https://youtu.be/qSr2WMVm9jI

All the best, everyone

And good luck everyone in this competition, never give up

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (16-10-2023 14:50)

https://youtu.be/kgEFNxFFLcs

This year, I have prepared a MIDI file of my favorite classical music, which might be very long (or too long) for a contest entry, again.

The preset sound that I have customized is intended to imitate the feeling of the sounds of a period instrument called a "tangent piano" or "tangentenflügel" with a layer of three instrument packs consisting of one harpsichord, one historical fortepiano, and one modern piano.
Please note that this preset sound is purely for imaginative purposes and not meant for direct comparison with the sounds of real instrument. However, if there were this kind of classical/historical instrument pack build for Pianoteq, I would genuinely appreciate using it.

For FX effect, I utilized a plug-in named BREVERB2 by OVERLOUD, which came with the DAW software Cakewalk by BandLab.
I want to express my gratitude to all of you for listening and watching my video, and I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by NoNameTheAnt (18-10-2023 19:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac9w3c35m88

This instrumental cover of Led Zeppelin's, "Stairway To Heaven", is based on the studio version released in '71 on the album Led Zeppelin IV.
The goal is to faithfully (and respectfully) trying to capture the emotion of the original, maintaining its continuously speeding up tempo and dynamics throughout thins nearly 10-minute song. Wait for the guitar solo...

My challenge was to use only Pianoteq 8 and its internal settings to create this cover.

Now, for the technical part:

The arrangement is created by starting with a faithful transcriptions for each instrument used in the original recording, using a PianoTeq8 instrument for each of them.

Each track was played live on a MIDI keyboard, one instrument at a time. This is what makes this performance "human".

The DAW used is Logic Pro X on a MacBook Pro M1.

In each individual DAW track (and in the master track), there are no plugins, volume automations, or anything else were used.

All dynamics, compressions, equalizations, distortions, reverbs, panning, etc., were achieved using only Pianoteq's instrument plugin tools (see below the tracklist) with some modifications related to output volume, dynamics, and occasionally the MIDI curve.

Each instrument was recorded using the binaural method for better control and uniformity. I did not use Pianoteq's reverb, but only the "binaural head", positioning it relative to the instrument, in order to create the appropriate reverb (generated by the listener's distance from the instrument).

The same goes for panning, aimed at creating the right, wide soundstage.

Here are the instruments used:

Vocals: K2 Prelude
Guitar Solo: W2 Bright
Guitar Intro: Classical Guitar Melodic Vibrato
Recorders Intro: HB Steinway D Studio Recording
Rhythmic Guitars: NY Steinway Studio Recording (on a different track)
Bass: K2 Binaural

There is no drum kit. To provide the rhythmic pulse, when necessary, I modified the bass line by replacing long notes with eighth-note grooves to give it the necessary rhythm.

All these presets were modified only concerning binaural recording and the instrument's positioning relative to the listener, dynamics (almost always increased compared to the preset), and stereo width. For example, for the bass using K2, I almost completely closed the stereo width to have it centered in the center stage.

If you have any further questions, please comment below, and I will respond.

Paolo from Italy.

Last edited by pflying (19-10-2023 13:48)

Nicely done Paolo. I like it when the electric piano comes in at about 5.46.

Good luck!

Stig

Thank you! Pianoteq is truly amazing.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Nicely done Paolo. I like it when the electric piano comes in at about 5.46.

Good luck!

Stig

Here is my entry for the 2023 Video Contest: It's a short excerpt from Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1, Op 15.

https://youtu.be/LaaQxwf72jQ

This excerpt is the first occurrence of the beautiful 2nd subject from the 1st movement of Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1 Op 15. I made this in memory of my piano teacher at boarding school - Brahms was her favourite composer, and I have so many happy memories of my lessons with her. It's far from perfect though..

I hope you will enjoy it, and thank you for listening !

And.... All the best to everyone participating this year

Last edited by 1MuddyDog (20-10-2023 20:59)

Very nice!

Maybe change the title to " Steinway to heaven" 

MrRoland wrote:

Very nice!

Maybe change the title to " Steinway to heaven" 

1MuddyDog wrote:

Here is my entry for the 2023 Video Contest: It's a short excerpt from Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1, Op 15. ... This excerpt is the first occurrence of the beautiful 2nd subject from the 1st movement of Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1 Op 15.

A gorgeous interpretation and so well produced with respect to the orchestral parts and piano/orchestral balance and interaction.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

For some time now I have been involved in music generation with software I have designed. The thing that frustrated me most was that such generation allowed me to obtain MIDI files, and then the sound obtained did not live up to my expectations. The problem is not so much the format, but the fact that music that was too flat and without artistic depth was only half the job.

I then came up with the idea of combining two MIDI files: one flat and without emotion, but with the right notes, the other really played live, which had to convey some emotion to the music I generated.

This transformation process then uses a MIDI file, called a clock file.

Information involving velocity and tempo is taken from the clock file and transmitted to the MIDI file that is to be humanized.

Pianoteq helped me a lot, because it is possible to record the clock file while being able to rely on a really realistic sound. So I have also used this amazing sofware very often to improve the final dynamics with the velocity curves and get even better results. 

The transformation was accomplished by a software I developed in php, DBL-Score Umanizer. At the moment this software is not available on the web, but if you are interested I could certainly make it available and transfer it to a server with adequate power for multiple access.

Hoping you can appreciate it,
greetings to all,
Emanuele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfSsxo9MDg

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
1MuddyDog wrote:

Here is my entry for the 2023 Video Contest: It's a short excerpt from Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1, Op 15. ... This excerpt is the first occurrence of the beautiful 2nd subject from the 1st movement of Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1 Op 15.

A gorgeous interpretation and so well produced with respect to the orchestral parts and piano/orchestral balance and interaction.

Thanks Stephen, glad you enjoyed it!

emanuele wrote:

For some time now I have been involved in music generation with software I have designed. The thing that frustrated me most was that such generation allowed me to obtain MIDI files, and then the sound obtained did not live up to my expectations. The problem is not so much the format, but the fact that music that was too flat and without artistic depth was only half the job.

I then came up with the idea of combining two MIDI files: one flat and without emotion, but with the right notes, the other really played live, which had to convey some emotion to the music I generated.

Information involving velocity and tempo is taken from the clock file and transmitted to the MIDI file that is to be humanized.

Pianoteq helped me a lot, because it is possible to record the clock file while being able to rely on a really realistic sound. So I have also used this amazing sofware very often to improve the final dynamics with the velocity curves and get even better results. 

The transformation was accomplished by a software I developed in php, DBL-Score Umanizer. At the moment this software is not available on the web, but if you are interested I could certainly make it available and transfer it to a server with adequate power for multiple access.

greetings to all,
Emanuele

Wow, this is a really interesting concept!

What would be interesting to see (as a possible future extension) is if you can use some form of machine learning to analyse a pianist's playing style per composer (e.g. rubato and tonal shading for Chopin is different from what you would do for Brahms or Liszt or Rachmaninov). For example, you could use many performances of a given piece by different pianists as test inputs, so the machine learning algorithm can learn how to replicate rubato and so on for that piece. You could then simply run the flat, lifeless MIDI file through your Umaniser together with this learned rubato, and it would render the rubato according to the specified composer and piece.

Nice work (and on a very nice Scarlatti as well !)

My entry for this year's contest is the first movement of the Rhapsodie Gaélique for piano four hands by the Breton composer Paul Ladmirault, published in 1903.  The entire suite of six movements is based on Scottish and Celtic themes, combined with overtones of impressionism that was current in France at the time.  The first movement, entitled Les Campbells Arrivent! (The Campbells are Coming) is a Highlander March.

Rhapsodie Gaélique I: Les Campbells Arrivent!

Here is my entry.

An intentionally rough performance of Maple Leaf Rag.
A provocative question: what is better for ragtime?
Watch this video and listen carefully to inform your opinion!

https://youtu.be/0tEgCRxGIrY

Upright U4 Honky Tonky is my choice, because it has a similar tone as a tack piano they used, where nails were placed on the felt-padded hammers of the instrument at the point where the hammers hit the strings. It was used precisely to evoke the feeling of a honky-tonk piano.
Thank you dv for a nice entry and nice to see you play.
Good luck,

Stig

Very nice, Sir ....

Lanny

1MuddyDog wrote:

Here is my entry for the 2023 Video Contest: It's a short excerpt from Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1, Op 15.

This excerpt is the first occurrence of the beautiful 2nd subject from the 1st movement of Brahms' Piano Concerto No 1 Op 15. I made this in memory of my piano teacher at boarding school - Brahms was her favourite composer, and I have so many happy memories of my lessons with her. It's far from perfect though..

The possibility of using artificial intelligence is certainly interesting. And the results would certainly be extraordinary.
In my case, however, the idea was to apply a very simple algorithm to start from a clock played by a human being.

The algorithm, however, needs a very linear melody, as trivially 8 notes represent one beat. Clearly, it is possible to play the clock in a somewhat syncopated style, and this will transfer to the MIDI file to be transformed. I preferred to avoid giving too many examples so as not to make the video too long. But one thing this algorithm cannot do is change the note length depending on the context (chord, faster or slower melodic line...).

Lately I've been looking for a way to get the clock from complex music (for example, a MIDI file of a Beethoven music played live), but that's still another matter.

In any case thanks for your appreciation, I am very pleased !

1MuddyDog wrote:
emanuele wrote:

greetings to all,
Emanuele

Wow, this is a really interesting concept!

What would be interesting to see (as a possible future extension) is if you can use some form of machine learning to analyse a pianist's playing style per composer (e.g. rubato and tonal shading for Chopin is different from what you would do for Brahms or Liszt or Rachmaninov). For example, you could use many performances of a given piece by different pianists as test inputs, so the machine learning algorithm can learn how to replicate rubato and so on for that piece. You could then simply run the flat, lifeless MIDI file through your Umaniser together with this learned rubato, and it would render the rubato according to the specified composer and piece.

Nice work (and on a very nice Scarlatti as well !)

emanuele wrote:

In my case, however, the idea was to apply a very simple algorithm to start from a clock played by a human being.

Sounds like you should check out https://github.com/davidpanderson/Numula/wiki and possibly collaborate with David

A very soft and short improv for Autumn colors!
Preset is the K2 under Lid with EQ3 set at Grand Piano enhancer.

https://youtu.be/jxcPFvUSeGM

Last edited by Zvon (24-10-2023 04:14)

Aw, was going to enter but I have PianoTeq 7 Pro not PianoTeq 8.

Last edited by Joseph Merrill (24-10-2023 06:22)

Listened to the entries so far, all very cool, sounding great!

emanuele wrote:

Great results, totally made the performances better!  One way to get this result in Pro Tools is use beat detective on the audio of you playing the quarter notes, and with a little detail work you can get Pro Tools to do a tempo remap so the midi lines up on the one and voila.  Actually you seem to be using the velocity information as well.  I have not really messed with like groove effects beyond tempo mapping so velocity feel might be out of scope of Beat Detective.

Is your Avatar a network of chords?  Curious about your generation algos.

Last edited by Joseph Merrill (24-10-2023 06:02)

Joseph Merrill wrote:

Well, you can upgrade to Pro 8 with all your existing instruments for 29 Euros. You could even do an entry using the demo version of Ptq 8 - and all entrants get a 20 Euro voucher.

LTECpiano wrote:

Very nice, Sir ....

Lanny

1MuddyDog wrote:

Hey Lanny,

Thanks very much, very glad you enjoyed it!

dazric wrote:
Joseph Merrill wrote:

Well, you can upgrade to Pro 8 with all your existing instruments for 29 Euros. You could even do an entry using the demo version of Ptq 8 - and all entrants get a 20 Euro voucher.

Are you sure the "Pro Studio" is preserved?  Not clear on the website what the $29 upgrade to 8 means.  I submitted a request to Modartt the other day to clarify that robot logic will not have the $29 upgrade to 8 downgrade me to non-Pro-Studio version of 8.  I have not heard back.

Update: Found answer in my junk email folder confirming I won't lose my Pro Studio and my packs!  Nice!

Last edited by Joseph Merrill (24-10-2023 21:39)

Joseph,
thank you for the message, I did not know this function of ProTools. Actually in my case the result affects the tempo, but also the velocity, as you can see at the end of my video, where I put the original midi file, the clock and the transformed file next to it.

The avatar is the result of my software's analysis of a chord sequence, and all the possible segmentations. All this relates to a music theory that I conceived in recent years, but unfortunately I have only written in French.

These are my articles :

https://hal.science/search/index/?q=*&a..._i=1032058

Regarding the generative aspect, I have conceived a musical language with which I compose the music that you can find in my channel. There is an online version that I only use, however. I don't know if you are interested, but if you want you could test it out. I could set up an account for you. In that case you could contact me in private ;-)

Joseph Merrill wrote:
emanuele wrote:

Great results, totally made the performances better!  One way to get this result in Pro Tools is use beat detective on the audio of you playing the quarter notes, and with a little detail work you can get Pro Tools to do a tempo remap so the midi lines up on the one and voila.  Actually you seem to be using the velocity information as well.  I have not really messed with like groove effects beyond tempo mapping so velocity feel might be out of scope of Beat Detective.

Is your Avatar a network of chords?  Curious about your generation algos.

Last edited by emanuele (25-10-2023 22:26)

emanuele wrote:

Joseph,
thank you for the message, I did not know this function of ProTools. Actually in my case the result affects the tempo, but also the velocity, as you can see at the end of my video, where I put the original midi file, the clock and the transformed file next to it.

The avatar is the result of my software's analysis of a chord sequence, and all the possible segmentations. All this relates to a music theory that I conceived in recent years, but unfortunately I have only written in French.

These are my articles :

https://hal.science/search/index/?q=*&a..._i=1032058

Regarding the generative aspect, I have conceived a musical language with which I compose the music that you can find in my channel. There is an online version that I only use, however. I don't know if you are interested, but if you want you could test it out. I could set up an account for you. In that case you could contact me in private ;-)

Thanks for the info!  I don't speak French but I see a word similar to gravity in one of your paper titles.  Is it related to the Lydian Chromatic Concept of George Russell?

I'm really enjoying these entries so far!

I recently saw Hania Rani perform Hawaii Oslo, where she constantly had one hand on the keys and another messing with the soundboard, muting the sound in varying degrees, pressing against the strings, moving the felt around, and inserting fingers between the hammers and strings. She ran this through a delay and a looper to create an evolving pedal tone to improvise over.

I thought it would be fun to try this sort of thing in Pianoteq. I gave that a whirl for my entry this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHNxNK22LQ

I'm using 4 pedals, a mod strip, aftertouch, a macro, and some automation to constantly tweak various aspects of the physical model in real-time. Hope you enjoy.

Good luck all!

miiindbullets wrote:

I recently saw Hania Rani perform Hawaii Oslo, where she constantly had one hand on the keys and another messing with the soundboard, muting the sound in varying degrees, pressing against the strings, moving the felt around, and inserting fingers between the hammers and strings. She ran this through a delay and a looper to create an evolving pedal tone to improvise over.

I thought it would be fun to try this sort of thing in Pianoteq. I gave that a whirl for my entry this year:

I'm using 4 pedals, a mod strip, aftertouch, a macro, and some automation to constantly tweak various aspects of the physical model in real-time. Hope you enjoy.

Good luck all!

Like your entry miiindbullets, well done, because you do it so smoothly and with flow,  that's nice. Good Luck!

Best wishes,

Stig

Here comes my entry...

I've created a generative jazz improvisation session with piano and guitar.
Both instruments are played by Pianoteq 8. The chords are chosen by Bitwig 5 using Note effects, the melody and accompaniment are created by ChordPotion, the Pianoteq instruments used are U4 and the acoustic guitar.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=viSHJwU497A

If you like the video, please check out my channel at https://youtube.com/HiEnergyMusic

Here is my entry.  It's a piece I've wanted to record for years, but I couldn't get the range of tone colours I wanted out of Pianoteq 5.  Now I think Pianoteq 8 is ready!

https://youtu.be/8hAWgzmENL0

miiindbullets wrote:

Good luck all!

gear job here !  Very creative with excellent control of the infinite possibilities with PTQ .  May I ask you which DP you are using as it seems to cover the whole 0-127 midi range with disconcerting ease . So many keyboards are only able to generate a range between 20-110.

Hello,

this is my small contribution to the contest 2023.
I hope you'll like it...
and please remember: A day without music is a lost day.
Thank you all.
See you
OH aka Fred Feuerbein

https://youtu.be/_BNtLLxpyUY

joannchr wrote:

gear job here !  Very creative with excellent control of the infinite possibilities with PTQ .  May I ask you which DP you are using as it seems to cover the whole 0-127 midi range with disconcerting ease . So many keyboards are only able to generate a range between 20-110.

Thanks Stig and Joann! I have midiCurve in front of Pianoteq with a slight s type curve just to make the extremes (especially higher velocities) a little easier to hit.

I’m using a Yamaha CP88, which has the same action (NWX) as the YC88, and very similar action to the P515 (NW-GH). The P515 has escapement, the CP88 doesn’t, but they’re otherwise identical. It’s very heavy action but very snappy and feels great. Took a couple months to work up my finger strength but I love it now. My old DP was a Roland FP-30 (PHA-4 action) which I liked, but I have better control with the CP-88 for sure.

Last edited by miiindbullets (30-10-2023 06:28)

miiindbullets wrote:
joannchr wrote:

Thanks Stig and Joann! I have midiCurve in front of Pianoteq with a slight s type curve just to make the extremes (especially higher velocities) a little easier to hit.

I’m using a Yamaha CP88, which has the same action (NWX) as the YC88, and very similar action to the P515 (NW-GH). The P515 has escapement, the CP88 doesn’t, but they’re otherwise identical. It’s very heavy action but very snappy and feels great. Took a couple months to work up my finger strength but I love it now. My old DP was a Roland FP-30 (PHA-4 action) which I liked, but I have better control with the CP-88 for sure.

Thks for answer and good luck for the 2023 contest !

hanysz wrote:

Here is my entry.  It's a piece I've wanted to record for years, but I couldn't get the range of tone colours I wanted out of Pianoteq 5.  Now I think Pianoteq 8 is ready!

Excellent! Great piece; great playing. This is my favourite entry so far.

Pianophile wrote:

Excellent! Great piece...This is my favourite entry so far.

Thanks! It's a very rewarding piece to play.  Hard work, but worth the effort.  (And the first two pages aren't too hard, so you can ease yourself into it.)

Hello hello. This is my Organteq 2 entry. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/YMNeNfi1y8w

contrabourdon wrote:

Hello hello. This is my Organteq 2 entry. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/YMNeNfi1y8w

Wow! Lovely performance. I really like the registrations and the emotion in the playing. Charming arrangement with such deep feeling.
Thank you James, and Good Luck !

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (31-10-2023 11:39)

joannchr wrote:

Thks for answer and good luck for the 2023 contest !

Thanks! I should clarify I asked Modartt not to be considered for the prize this year. I just wanted to make another video for fun with everyone else, but am not competing for the prizes. Good luck all!

Hi,
   First post here: I’m a new Pianoteq Stage user.

https://youtu.be/U9SNofnBjYI

Happy to share with you my entry: a cover of Sentinel, a Mike Oldfield song taken from 1992 album Tubular Bells 2.

I’m not a skilled piano player so I can’t play any classical; I’m not a guitar player so I can’t partecipate in any blues contest… I’m just a Rock lover.

Hope you like it.

Thank you very much
klaudio

https://youtu.be/wWyyk3VmzIQ?si=wCQTILpJMZn9L_rW

Here's my contribution to the competition. It's a traditional hymn tune, "Deep Harmony", that I have known since I was young. I've arranged it in a light (perhaps very light) jazz style with some improvisation in the middle verses.

I recently bought Pianoteq Stage V8 and am very pleased with it. I have an old PC and quite a lot of modern software won't run due to lack of CPU power and RAM. Pianoteq does run, although I have to lower the sample rate for real-time playing (and I raise it again when I render the final audio file from my DAW).

I'm really pleased with the sound of Pianoteq, particularly the realism of the sympathetic resonance which makes a big difference. It really makes me want to play piano again and I have spent a lot more time just noodling and enjoying the sound.

Equipment and software used in this track:
- Yamaha S80 keyboard as a MIDI controller for playing in the parts, and for the TR-808 drum sounds
- Modartt Pianoteq Stage V8 (full version) for the Yamaha grand piano
- Modartt Pianoteq Stage V8 (demo mode) for the Wurlitzer EP
- GSi VB3 II tonewheel organ VST
- Ferrofish B4000+ as a drawbar controller for the tonewheel organ VST
- Finger snaps sample played in DecentSampler VST plugin
- Tambourine from Spitfire LABS
- Yamaha TRB5 bass guitar, with sock wedged under the strings for a damped sound (sock not shown in video)

Recorded, produced and mixed in Cockos Reaper using mainly stock plugins, plus Sonitus reverb and Arturia Tape Mello-Fi.

PCKeys wrote:

https://youtu.be/wWyyk3VmzIQ?si=wCQTILpJMZn9L_rW

Here's my contribution to the competition. It's a traditional hymn tune, "Deep Harmony", that I have known since I was young. I've arranged it in a light (perhaps very light) jazz style with some improvisation in the middle verses.

I recently bought Pianoteq Stage V8 and am very pleased with it. I have an old PC and quite a lot of modern software won't run due to lack of CPU power and RAM. Pianoteq does run, although I have to lower the sample rate for real-time playing (and I raise it again when I render the final audio file from my DAW).

I'm really pleased with the sound of Pianoteq, particularly the realism of the sympathetic resonance which makes a big difference. It really makes me want to play piano again and I have spent a lot more time just noodling and enjoying the sound.

Equipment and software used in this track:
- Yamaha S80 keyboard as a MIDI controller for playing in the parts, and for the TR-808 drum sounds
- Modartt Pianoteq Stage V8 (full version) for the Yamaha grand piano
- Modartt Pianoteq Stage V8 (demo mode) for the Wurlitzer EP
- GSi VB3 II tonewheel organ VST
- Ferrofish B4000+ as a drawbar controller for the tonewheel organ VST
- Finger snaps sample played in DecentSampler VST plugin
- Tambourine from Spitfire LABS
- Yamaha TRB5 bass guitar, with sock wedged under the strings for a damped sound (sock not shown in video)

Recorded, produced and mixed in Cockos Reaper using mainly stock plugins, plus Sonitus reverb and Arturia Tape Mello-Fi.

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum,

Nice mix, I like it. Good Luck in the contest

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (01-11-2023 15:10)

https://youtu.be/GtlpK7y9c5E?si=MzrQf0GnJg7M5tLo

Hi and congratulations to Modartt for creating such an amazing app and also for now making it available on iPad!  My contribution is one of a set of preludes I've been trying to write for the piano. It's the first one and is titled 'Dream'. I've used the Pianoteq Steinway D Classical Recording patch and played it in via usb and iPad using  a Yamaha CK88.

chopstick wrote:

https://youtu.be/GtlpK7y9c5E?si=MzrQf0GnJg7M5tLo

Hi and congratulations to Modartt for creating such an amazing app and also for now making it available on iPad!  My contribution is one of a set of preludes I've been trying to write for the piano. It's the first one and is titled 'Dream'. I've used the Pianoteq Steinway D Classical Recording patch and played it in via usb and iPad using  a Yamaha CK88.

I like the jazz feel to the block chords. I have the Steinway model and find it very playable.

- PaulC

miiindbullets wrote:

Good luck all!

Sounds great! Did you write out the main part in notation and then perform it? Or plan the structure in a different way? Or just improvise and then fill in other parts around it?

- PaulC

PCKeys wrote:

Sounds great! Did you write out the main part in notation and then perform it? Or plan the structure in a different way? Or just improvise and then fill in other parts around it?

- PaulC

Thanks Paul! I really enjoyed yours also -- great performance and really polished result!

I just noticed in the video she started banging on a D into a looper with some delay, then she seemed to be improvising over the top of that loop. Her improv was more polished than mine to be sure! I didn't really copy much of what she did beyond that repeating D loop. I played around with some ideas I learned from Phil Best, namely switching between scales/modes that are symmetrical (perfectly mirrored) over D, to keep it interesting with a single pedal tone.

I jumped around between D dorian, D byzantine, D aoelian dominant (Hindu scale), and then a couple of not-quite-symmetrical scales that borrowed notes from the previously mentioned scales (D phrygian, D mixolydian). D is easiest key for me to anchor on with this approach, because the keys on the piano are also symmetrical around D (as well as its tritone G#), so it's easy to keep my "footing". That explanation feels really complicated given what I was actually thinking, but I was just thinking about symmetry.

Last edited by miiindbullets (01-11-2023 19:12)

chopstick wrote:

... My contribution is one of a set of preludes I've been trying to write for the piano. It's the first one and is titled 'Dream'.

Very nice, inventive and beautiful chords and melodic/rhythmic motifs.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

miiindbullets wrote:
PCKeys wrote:

- PaulC

Thanks Paul! I really enjoyed yours also -- great performance and really polished result!

I just noticed in the video she started banging on a D into a looper with some delay, then she seemed to be improvising over the top of that loop. Her improv was more polished than mine to be sure! I didn't really copy much of what she did beyond that repeating D loop. I played around with some ideas I learned from Phil Best, namely switching between scales/modes that are symmetrical (perfectly mirrored) over D, to keep it interesting with a single pedal tone.

I jumped around between D dorian, D byzantine, D aoelian dominant (Hindu scale), and then a couple of not-quite-symmetrical scales that borrowed notes from the previously mentioned scales (D phrygian, D mixolydian). D is easiest key for me to anchor on with this approach, because the keys on the piano are also symmetrical around D (as well as its tritone G#), so it's easy to keep my "footing". That explanation feels really complicated given what I was actually thinking, but I was just thinking about symmetry.

Wow! Thanks for the breakdown. A lot of scale / mode theory in there which I’ve never got to grips with. I suspect I do use some of those modes in my own music instinctively, but couldn’t name them. I understand what you mean about D being symmetrical.