Topic: Autumn, a beautiful piece (and beautiful Organteq 2 sounds)

Autumn   Edward F Johnston (1879-1919)

One more composer to know 
Genre
Early 20th century

A melancholic and 'romantic' Autumn, published in 1912. The melody in the tenor register is beautiful with different registrations, another great find.

I hope you can enjoy a forgotten but a melancholic and 'romantic' autumn piece,

https://youtu.be/HGl1nMvB418

Edward F Johnston (1879-1919) was born in Scotland and emigrated to the United States in 1907 where he lived thereafter. Johnston became involved with Robert Hope-Jones and his Wurlitzer Unit Orchestra in 1912 and became an advocate for Hope-Jones as designer and builder. He played Wurlitzers in theatres and served in churches in New York City.

"Autumn" was published by J. Fischer & Bro. in 1912. It is dedicated: "To the Rev. Karl Reiland of New York City."

At the top of the score, the composers quotes a poem by John Burland (1870-1926):

Wail of the wind in the dripping trees,
Rustle of leaves that are dead in the blast,
Sobbing song of the autumn breeze,
Music of all that is passing and past.

Stay tuned!  I am constantly looking for, and finding, more forgotten, different rare gems to see the light of day, to make them known, for you and all listener.

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: Autumn, a beautiful piece (and beautiful Organteq 2 sounds)

Hello Stig, I haven't been very active on the forum recently and now I'm trying to catch up with the stuff I've missed. Very much enjoy your rediscoveries, and this one's a gem! Oh, now I'm sorely tempted to get Organteq 2, but I have a backlog of piano projects and I mustn't get distracted so it will have to wait a while...

Just another thought about this piece: is there a little echo of a Chopin nocturne in there just at the beginning? It seems vaguely familiar but I can't quite place it.

Last edited by dazric (12-10-2023 12:48)

dazric wrote:

Hello Stig, I haven't been very active on the forum recently and now I'm trying to catch up with the stuff I've missed. Very much enjoy your rediscoveries, and this one's a gem! Oh, now I'm sorely tempted to get Organteq 2, but I have a backlog of piano projects and I mustn't get distracted so it will have to wait a while...

Just another thought about this piece: is there a little echo of a Chopin nocturne in there just at the beginning? It seems vaguely familiar but I can't quite place it.

Thank you so much dazric for your kind comment and welcome back 

Yes, it feels familiar, but I can't place it either.

Best wishes,

Stig

very beautiful!  i found it very soothing and comforting somehow.  and the registrations were very tasteful and brought out the different parts beautifully

budo wrote:

very beautiful!  i found it very soothing and comforting somehow.  and the registrations were very tasteful and brought out the different parts beautifully

Thank you budo for your kind comment. Appreciate it. I always try different registrations to get something that is good for the music.

Best wishes,

Stig

Well played, Stig! You find the most evocative organ works to share. This one well conveys its time period and makes me think of my grandmother and her generation. It's the music I was raised on.

Thank you for sharing!

Take care!
Robert

algorhythms wrote:

Well played, Stig! You find the most evocative organ works to share. This one well conveys its time period and makes me think of my grandmother and her generation. It's the music I was raised on.

Thank you for sharing!

Take care!
Robert

Thank you Robert. I'm always glad to read your comments.

Best wishes,

Stig