Topic: What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life (Pianoteq)

here's a rather unusual arrangement of a tune from the book by Michel Legrand.  of course it's supposed to be a beautiful sensitive ballad so this is somewhat heretical (especially for a forum hosted by a French-based company). hopefully it's not too out of bounds.

https://youtu.be/jOsT1nKwKxM

Re: What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life (Pianoteq)

budo wrote:

here's a rather unusual arrangement of a tune from the book by Michel Legrand.  of course it's supposed to be a beautiful sensitive ballad so this is somewhat heretical (especially for a forum hosted by a French-based company). hopefully it's not too out of bounds.

How do you know all the notes that have to be played, you've only got a few notes?  That's not how classical music goes….
Well, I know, listening to you is as Welcome to jazz! Awesome once again budo.

Not too heretical, not too out of bounds, forbidden. because you take this one to a new level, now it is not a sensitive ballad, it is a fantastic jazz interpretation of a Legrand piece.
Excellent, thanks budo!

And the ending, in 3 steps: goes first up, then down, then up, and finally the low note - bang!  Interesting (most people only use the low note bang! )  Well done!

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (09-10-2023 21:41)

Such a surprise ! Wasn't expecting a version like this. You have to listen to it carefully to get it. Nice swinging version and with this arrangement. But you've "skipped" the second part of the theme, haven't you ?

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
budo wrote:

How do you know all the notes that have to be played, you've only got a few notes?  That's not how classical music goes….
Well, I know, listening to you is as Welcome to jazz! Awesome once again budo.

Not too heretical, not too out of bounds, forbidden. because you take this one to a new level, now it is not a sensitive ballad, it is a fantastic jazz interpretation of a Legrand piece.

thank you for your generous comment.  regarding knowing the notes that have to be played, i think i don't always know   sometimes it just kind of happens.  thank you so much the for "fantastic"
Excellent, thanks budo!

And the ending, in 3 steps: goes first up, then down, then up, and finally the low note - bang!  Interesting (most people only use the low note bang! )  Well done!

Best wishes,

Stig

Borealis wrote:

Such a surprise ! Wasn't expecting a version like this. You have to listen to it carefully to get it. Nice swinging version and with this arrangement. But you've "skipped" the second part of the theme, haven't you ?

yes it is a bit out there it can be kind of hard to hear what's happening at times, i agree.  of course the progression is so different it can be easy to get lost.

by the second part of the theme do you mean the bridge (Bm7 E9 Amaj7 etc)?  it's there but those groups are somewhat disguised by using a pedal tone (E for four measures, Db for the next two, etc).  or do you mean something that was omitted from the RB lead sheet?

Everything is here, but I was talking about the melody.

Last edited by Borealis (18-10-2023 07:53)
Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Borealis wrote:

Everything is here, but I was talking about the melody.

perhaps it's missing from the lead sheet?  i just followed the sheet.  but there are certainly some problems with some of them in the book ...

Executed to perfection, another fine story!