Topic: Flags (Pianoteq)

(kind of lost a week of my life due to Covid ... finally got it after all these years)

here's one of the most enigmatic pieces from the book, Carla Bley's Flags.  it's part of a long Charles Ives-ish work she wrote and i don't think i've every heard anyone play it standalone.  really one of the oddest tunes in there (and there are some seriously odd tunes in there ) but it's still fun and more should be done with it.  here i just did an easy on easy off thing.

https://youtu.be/H9USO7jGW1I

Re: Flags (Pianoteq)

Great job! Short and peppy. I have to imagine this could be difficult to play as it's constantly shifting cadence. Enjoyable for sure!

Hi budo,

In your YT discription it say’s  ”I’m a jazz pianist interested in all kinds of improvised and experimental music”

How true it is! This piece is really improvised ”experimental music”    I love it!
FIrst reaction   What the….?  Then I burst out laughing. A mysterious piece, odd but very fun

”An easy on easy off thing”.  On or off thing, but you did it so well  !

Found out it is from an album Looking for America, recorded 2002 and released 2003.
Thom Jurek awarded the album 4 stars and stated "Looking for America is a fun, innovative, and indefatigable album by one of the true geniuses in modern jazz”.

Thanks budo for sharing this. Enjoyed it much

Best wishes,

Stig

Sorry to hear you got COVID, hope it wasn’t too bad. On a more positive note, love your take on Flags. Keep chasing that white colossus.

Like these Flags too ! If you add a double bass and some drums, you can have some Bad Plus' pieces in mind (compliment).

This one, for example (same vibe, to me) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viQQkyw...mp;index=6

Nice !

Ed : hope you feel better.

Last edited by Borealis (24-09-2023 20:38)
Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

kencarlino wrote:

Great job! Short and peppy. I have to imagine this could be difficult to play as it's constantly shifting cadence. Enjoyable for sure!

it is rather tricky there's not much going on in the harmony but it jumps around a lot metrically.  plus it's not clear at all what to do with it

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Hi budo,

In your YT discription it say’s  ”I’m a jazz pianist interested in all kinds of improvised and experimental music”

How true it is! This piece is really improvised ”experimental music”    I love it!
FIrst reaction   What the….?  Then I burst out laughing. A mysterious piece, odd but very fun

”An easy on easy off thing”.  On or off thing, but you did it so well  !

Found out it is from an album Looking for America, recorded 2002 and released 2003.
Thom Jurek awarded the album 4 stars and stated "Looking for America is a fun, innovative, and indefatigable album by one of the true geniuses in modern jazz”.

Thanks budo for sharing this. Enjoyed it much

Best wishes,

Stig

i'm glad it made you laugh it's such an oddball.  putting this tune in the book is like putting 8 bars of the sugar plum fairy or something like that ...

DEZ wrote:

Sorry to hear you got COVID, hope it wasn’t too bad. On a more positive note, love your take on Flags. Keep chasing that white colossus.

thank you, i appreciate it.  the medicine helped a lot.  still not totally over it but i'm not feeling so bad right now.  i'm closing in on the beast i hope!

Borealis wrote:

Like these Flags too ! If you add a double bass and some drums, you can have some Bad Plus' pieces in mind (compliment).

This one, for example (same vibe, to me) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viQQkyw...mp;index=6

Nice !

Ed : hope you feel better.

thank you for listening and thanks, i do feel better now.  unfortunately it seems the video is blocked for me but i love Ethan Iverson's playing, he's great!  that's a great compliment.