Topic: Tears of the Machine (piano and guitar)

Switch gears from my recent Sundown Shadows guitar centric music to another more piano centric view from Engineered Emotion.

Used Bechstein and Classical guitar

Here are a couple of selections of the recent album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2W5D5B...mp;index=7

and something slower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCevJ2H...mp;index=2

Full album here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O...fq43n2Y93s

Enjoy!
Ken

Re: Tears of the Machine (piano and guitar)

Hi ken,

Nice that you can switch gears to another more piano centric view. I like Bechstein and used it when it came, but then Petrof took over and now I like Steinway B.

I like the combination piano/guitar, and the guitar playing sounds interesting, keep experimenting in this style, but to my ears the guitar sound is too weak, would require more volume.

Have difficulty hearing it. The piano in the foreground is too loud. I have the feeling that the piano is at the front of the stage and the guitarist is far, far behind with too little volume. Hope you take this as constructive criticism. It is how I feel. I think these nice songs would have a completely different tone with stronger guitar sounds.
Maybe you have time to try it…Good luck!

Thanks for sharing, always listening

Best wishes,

Stig

Hi Stig, thanks for the feedback!  I don't disagree, while I had intentionally made the guitar quiet as it is acting mostly in a rhythm role, I think the piano is too loud and pushes this preset in a mismatch for these songs perhaps as I have reduced the midi volume range and it helped soften the piano and allows more balance (I hope) as the layout between piano and guitar was already evenly panned right and left.

I greatly appreciate the feedback. Don't worry you could tell me you hate it and I would still appreciate the feedback

Ken

i thought these sounded great.  i like having the piano in the center dominating everyone else i also liked the slower track ... it gave me a chance to hear more clearly what's happening in the piano part and i could hear how you were putting it together more easily.

Thanks Budo for your feedback, much appreciated!  Haha, I am more inclined towards piano, perhaps that is why it's dominated here.   That said I am working on the next idea, that has the piano and the guitar more on equal footing but still slow, even slightly slower as the guitar part is a bit more intricate than what is here.

Ken

Listened to Robotic reflections and Tears of the Machine. Both something dreamy and "out of time"; if I dare to say like this. I wish the guitar were a bit more present (but it's my personal taste).

Nice to hear them, in the evening, too.

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Borealis wrote:

Listened to Robotic reflections and Tears of the Machine. Both something dreamy and "out of time"; if I dare to say like this. I wish the guitar were a bit more present (but it's my personal taste).

Nice to hear them, in the evening, too.

Thank you Borealis for your feedback! My next idea does have the guitar and piano I'd say on equal footing, however,  it may be a bit different feeling...but posting soon.