Topic: Berceuse (Organteq)

Berceuse (Organteq)

While this piece is certainly in the romantic idiom, there is still a sense of "modernity" about it, particularly in the introduction, using vox humana.

Berceuse, lullaby, a song sung to make children go to sleep, and at the end you can see my ”baby” Macy, who fell asleep during the performance

https://youtu.be/QbcoKnsHdZA

William Faulkes (1863-1933), composer, organist, pianist, arranger, recitalist, teacher, chamber musician, conductor, musical organizer. Remarkably, for a composer so fluent and prolific, Faulkes was consistently omitted from the major dictionaries of music. From time to time, he is found in smaller more specific dictionaries at times, and is sometimes described as a leader of the modern English school of organ playing; or a leading composer of the English romantic school of organ playing.

Born in Liverpool, at the age of 10 became a chorister at St. Margaret's Church, Anfield, which was the largest brick church in England, and had the largest organ in Liverpool. At the age of 18, he was appointed organist of St. John's, Tue Brook, and five years later returned to St. Margaret's. He had a fine all-male (all volunteer) choir, and the level of musical excellence at the church was significant. As an organist, he was a brilliant performer, and earned the admiration of the leading British organist of the time, W. T.

"Berceuse in G" was published by Schott around 1905. It is dedicated: "To W. Stevenson Hoyte, Esq."
(William Stevenson Hoyte (1844-1917) was a well-known concert organist. In addition, he served as organist at the famous Anglo-Catholic parish of All Saint's, Margaret Street for over 40 years.)

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: Berceuse (Organteq)

Hi Stig, for me somehow it had a bit of an eerie feeling to it, and I don't think that is bad but maybe it doesn't align with your description as lullaby or of the romantic style,  but this is just from my ears. That said for an off balance slightly eerie feeling I like it. Those are some big ears on the chihuahua.

Thanks for sharing!

Ken.

kencarlino wrote:

Hi Stig, for me somehow it had a bit of an eerie feeling to it, and I don't think that is bad but maybe it doesn't align with your description as lullaby or of the romantic style,  but this is just from my ears. That said for an off balance slightly eerie feeling I like it. Those are some big ears on the chihuahua.

Thanks for sharing!

Ken.

Thank you so much ken for your interesting answer, and your solid arguments that explain your position.
I appreciate your listening and commenting.

I have listened again and notice I played not so excellently, should be more in a fluent style, sweet and delicate, full of nuances. 
I have handled the dynamic differences wrong, (couldn’t use the swell pedal) there should be more delicate addition and subtraction of stops to get p and pp. Sorry.  I know I was tired when I finally finished this difficult piece.

Well, everyone has bad days. They are a normal part of life

Thanks ken, stay tuned 

Best wishes,

Stig

Very Nice Stig, and thanks for the discovery of another composer, but I think I've already seen this name elsewhere (not sure though). So many skills !

So peaceful it is ! Can imagine the beginning of the piece for an intro in a Genesis' track (it's me...) or another famous progressive rock band

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Borealis wrote:

Very Nice Stig, and thanks for the discovery of another composer, but I think I've already seen this name elsewhere (not sure though). So many skills !

So peaceful it is ! Can imagine the beginning of the piece for an intro in a Genesis' track (it's me...) or another famous progressive rock band

Thank you Borealis for kind words.  I appreciate all your encouragement.

I have also played other pieces by William Faulkes here. Liebeslied and  Grand Choer alla Handel. So yes, you have seen the name elsewhere

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Berceuse (Organteq)

While this piece is certainly in the romantic idiom, there is still a sense of "modernity" about it, particularly in the introduction, using vox humana.

Berceuse, lullaby, a song sung to make children go to sleep, and at the end you can see my ”baby” Macy, who fell asleep during the performance

William Faulkes (1863-1933), composer, organist, pianist, arranger, recitalist, teacher, chamber musician, conductor, musical organizer. Remarkably, for a composer so fluent and prolific, Faulkes was consistently omitted from the major dictionaries of music. From time to time, he is found in smaller more specific dictionaries at times, and is sometimes described as a leader of the modern English school of organ playing; or a leading composer of the English romantic school of organ playing.

Born in Liverpool, at the age of 10 became a chorister at St. Margaret's Church, Anfield, which was the largest brick church in England, and had the largest organ in Liverpool. At the age of 18, he was appointed organist of St. John's, Tue Brook, and five years later returned to St. Margaret's. He had a fine all-male (all volunteer) choir, and the level of musical excellence at the church was significant. As an organist, he was a brilliant performer, and earned the admiration of the leading British organist of the time, W. T.

"Berceuse in G" was published by Schott around 1905. It is dedicated: "To W. Stevenson Hoyte, Esq."
(William Stevenson Hoyte (1844-1917) was a well-known concert organist. In addition, he served as organist at the famous Anglo-Catholic parish of All Saint's, Margaret Street for over 40 years.)

All the best, everyone

Stig

Stig, this is lovely! Beautifully played, with perfect registration. Amazing how you find lost treasures and bring them to life.
Is that your own dog in the video/ So sweet!
A pleasure as always.

Best regards,
Robert

algorhythms wrote:
Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Berceuse (Organteq)

All the best, everyone

Stig

Stig, this is lovely! Beautifully played, with perfect registration. Amazing how you find lost treasures and bring them to life.
Is that your own dog in the video/ So sweet!
A pleasure as always.

Best regards,
Robert

Thank you Robert for your kind and most generous comment.
I appreciate your taking the time to listen.
And yes, that is my dog 

Best regards,

Stig