Topic: Why not MTS-ESP?

Title says it all. Since Pianoteq has this implemented (thanks a lot!) , why doesn't Organteq also?

For the record, I'd be interested in Organteq were it to support MTS-ESP and I know a few others who feel the same.

Re: Why not MTS-ESP?

Andreya wrote:

Title says it all. Since Pianoteq has this implemented (thanks a lot!) , why doesn't Organteq also?

Currently, whenever you change temperament the pipes are regenerated...

If Modartt are going to keep this same approach, then there will be an unacceptable delay due to regeneration each time a change is made through MTS-ESP and morphing between microtonal implementations will neither be 'smooth' nor 'practical.'

Well that's my opinion, anyway !

Ah I see. That does sound reasonable. Thanks for the clarification. I do wonder if that recalculation is equally expensive for any tuning re-calculation.

A switch from 7 unequal parts per 2/1 centered on C=260hz to 13 equal parts per 3/1 centered on D=290Hz would obviously require each and every pipe be changed.

But if I make a switch which doesn't change the period or diapason, and which leaves most of the notes unchanged (say, altering the second degree from 9/8 to 10/9), does that require the same amount of calculations?

Let's say for exampe that note-on retuning would work, but dynamic re-tuning would not (which sounds likely). And let's also say that super dramatic tuning changes like my first example would take a while to become playable, but the other simpler case would not. Speaking for myself, I'd still much rather have that implementation than none at all!

Possibly worth noting: The MTS-ESP tuning changes aren't sample-accurate in any case. So when re-tuning instruments in note-on mode, we are practically already used to nudging the tuning automation early (or sending the tuning change early) to give the instruments time to update before the relevant note-ons happen. Inaccuracies anywhere from 128 to a few thousand samples are fairly normal, and the amount will change with the environment (DAW block size, record/playback etc). That safety window increasing slightly would be fine in my opinion.

I am not interested as well in Organteq 2 if new versions will be lacking customizable microtuning. Such a pity. Definitely I would like to hear directly from Modartt personnel...what's the reason behind the lack of, if not MTS-ESP implementation, then of some "import .scl" option at least? I'm not sure about the "pipe regeneration" explanation, if any (is it much different than "string regeneration" in Pianoteq?)
Even if we have a look at fixed tuning systems we see literally nothing has changed. Why leaving us with such a limited choice? Of course MTS-ESP dynamic microtuning implementation might be complicated and we all wish to see that come alive in Organteq future. I think it really is just a matter of time and nothing else, before Modartt is going to meet and hopefully satisfy our essential microtonal needs!

This is a huge disappointment. The members of the wordwide microtonal community, including some famous composers, have been patiently waiting for a new version with support of microtuning, so that they could finally purchase the software, which, as is, remains useless for them (us).

I'd love to hear something from the devs directly on this topic. Even if you can't go into detail about implementation challenges etc (though that would also be interesting to know), a word acknowledging you've seen the feature request would still be appreciated. Ideal would be to know whether to expect this will be implemented at some point or never. Please/thanks.

Thanks everyone for your request and feedback.

Microtonality has been requested by many Organteq users, and we are aware of the lack of MTS-ESP support in Organteq 2.

MTS-ESP support has been in our minds since Organteq 1. However, we currently cannot tell if/when it will be implemented.

Thanks for the reply!