Topic: ”Salon music” - Classical Guitar, for drawing room, not concert hall

”Salon music” - Classical Guitar, for drawing room, not concert hall

”Andantino", composer M. Higgs, is in the key of A major, and written in 4/8 time. This is definitely of ”the salon-type", could be a violin solo with piano accompaniment, interesting harmonic twists.

I chose the Classical Guitar as a substitute for the ”violon solo”   

Henry Marcellus Higgs (1854-1929) was the son of Marcellus Higgs (1827-1897) and Clara Tomlin. His father, also an organist, published no organ music.
H. M. Higgs worked with several music publishers and published a fairly large output of organ music. No indication of any places at which he served as organist, but he clearly knew how to write for the instrument.

(”Salon music” - instrumental music of a light, pleasing, and often sentimental character suitable for the drawing room rather than the concert hall).

https://youtu.be/OOHFdfZVkTY

All the best, everyone

Stig

Re: ”Salon music” - Classical Guitar, for drawing room, not concert hall

Very nice, I like the legato usage, it fits well. I will have to give the legato setting a try for the classical guitar to see if it fits well with my stuff. Thanks for sharing!

kencarlino wrote:

Very nice, I like the legato usage, it fits well. I will have to give the legato setting a try for the classical guitar to see if it fits well with my stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you kencarlino for kind comment. It feels good to be able to give ideas

Best wishes,

Stig

Enjoyed this piece a lot - and not in a small way because of how your organ and guitar convention strongly indicates quite an animated sense of the space, intimate yet tastefully drenched in atmosphere - cannot help but visualise, something like a documentary style shot, or 'video clip', visual of guitarist sitting out in front of the organist.. that's such a playfully novel thing and it really made me smile considering how a videographer would capture such a performance - inventive and delighting. Thanks for pointing me to it Stig.

But beyond the interesting combo, the music was pretty fascinating - legato as ken mentions.. ah!! yeah, loved the result - you made the guitar play in a unique way, which may just be possible with a physical one!?.. sincerely interesting - convincing and greatly inventive performances Stig - thanks!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

very sweet and sentimental!  i really like how the organ complements the guitar in this performance.  they are perfectly suited for each other.

Qexl wrote:

Enjoyed this piece a lot - and not in a small way because of how your organ and guitar convention strongly indicates quite an animated sense of the space, intimate yet tastefully drenched in atmosphere - cannot help but visualise, something like a documentary style shot, or 'video clip', visual of guitarist sitting out in front of the organist.. that's such a playfully novel thing and it really made me smile considering how a videographer would capture such a performance - inventive and delighting. Thanks for pointing me to it Stig.

But beyond the interesting combo, the music was pretty fascinating - legato as ken mentions.. ah!! yeah, loved the result - you made the guitar play in a unique way, which may just be possible with a physical one!?.. sincerely interesting - convincing and greatly inventive performances Stig - thanks!

Qexl, thanks a million. I appreciate you so much. For this wonderfuI comment I am more grateful to you than you’ll ever know.

Best wishes,

Stig

budo wrote:

very sweet and sentimental!  i really like how the organ complements the guitar in this performance.  they are perfectly suited for each other.

Thank you budo. I really like your comment. Thank you for the kindness.

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

”Andantino", composer M. Higgs, is in the key of A major, and written in 4/8 time. This is definitely of ”the salon-type", could be a violin solo with piano accompaniment, interesting harmonic twists.

Henry Marcellus Higgs (1854-1929) was the son of Marcellus Higgs (1827-1897) and Clara Tomlin. His father, also an organist, published no organ music.
H. M. Higgs worked with several music publishers and published a fairly large output of organ music. No indication of any places at which he served as organist, but he clearly knew how to write for the instrument.

(”Salon music” - instrumental music of a light, pleasing, and often sentimental character suitable for the drawing room rather than the concert hall).

All the best, everyone

Stig

Stig, this is delightful! It almost has a jazz feeling to it, at least to my ears. Enjoyed this!

My best,
Robert

algorhythms wrote:
Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

All the best, everyone

Stig

Stig, this is delightful! It almost has a jazz feeling to it, at least to my ears. Enjoyed this!

My best,
Robert

Robert, you have my deepest thanks.

Best wishes,

Stig