Topic: Scarlatti Sonata in F Minor K 69

A lovely sonata by Scarlatti. It is not performed all that often (K 466 and K 481 are more well known and performed much more frequently).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwiIfjwhrU

This version uses the Hamburg Steinway Model D with the "closed mic classical" preset and a small amount of eq on the output channel in the DAW.

In this version, I wanted to test out the pedals for the piano, especially the slow press and release of the soft pedal, as well as different modes of touch. I hope you will enjoy it, and thank you for listening !

Re: Scarlatti Sonata in F Minor K 69

Hello 1MuddyDog,

A fantastic performance, all these pieces, Scarlatti and Chopin

Experienced your interpretation in the music so strongly. Diminuendo, accelerando, ritardando, crescendo, piano, pianissimo…….every aspect imaginable. Enjoyed a lot. You have the sensitivity in playing, it sounds so elegant. I feel that you pay attention to every movement of your fingers and hand. I liked especially Scarlatti pieces.

I once dreamed of playing like that, but it didn't turn out the way I thought, due to various circumstances. But now I’m an happy amateur, self taught 

Thank you for sharing,

Best wishes,

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (27-06-2023 14:42)

beautiful performance!  what did the EQ look like?  this piano sounds awesome.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Hello 1MuddyDog,

A fantastic performance, all these pieces, Scarlatti and Chopin

Experienced your interpretation in the music so strongly. Diminuendo, accelerando, ritardando, crescendo, piano, pianissimo…….every aspect imaginable. Enjoyed a lot. You have the sensitivity in playing, it sounds so elegant. I feel that you pay attention to every movement of your fingers and hand. I liked especially Scarlatti pieces.

I once dreamed of playing like that, but it didn't turn out the way I thought, due to various circumstances. But now I’m an happy amateur, self taught 

Thank you for sharing,

Best wishes,

Stig

Hey there Stig,

Thanks so much for your kind reply, it is much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the sonata. Having worked with PianoTeq for just a bit now, I can understand why you're such an enthusiast - PTeq is amazing and makes it possible to craft via software the kind of performance that you would get with a real Steinway; one can't get that right with any of the other vst pianos out there!

Happy music making, and thanks again for listening!

budo wrote:

beautiful performance!  what did the EQ look like?  this piano sounds awesome.

Hey there Budo,

Thanks for your kind reply - glad you liked the piano sound!

To be honest, the EQ is still a work in progress - I'm not 100% satisfied with it just yet. Here's what I applied to the output via the DAW  - I'm using the built-in equaliser that ships with Sonar Platinum.

Range             Frequency (Hz)    Gain (dB)    Q
Low                 40                         -18              1.0
Low Mids        150                         0.0             1.0
High Mids       900                         -3.0            2.5
High                2800                      1.5              2.5
[Sorry, I can't seem to attach a screenshot for you..]
I took the mids down a bit because it seemed to make the piano sound a bit less "nasal" in the middle register (from middle C to the next G).

Just today, I experimented with the velocity curve a bit, and now it sounds much better! If it helps you, the points that I set on the curve are:
{(0,0), (36, 19), (67, 44), (108, 88), (127, 127)}

Hope this helps, and thanks again for listening!