Topic: The Girl From Ipanema (Pianoteq)

here's one of the most well-known (and probably overplayed) tunes in the book, Jobim's Girl From Ipanema.  but even though it gets done so much it's still a great tune.  i especially like how the bridge goes all over the place ... it's always been very surprising to me.  sadly the greatest vocal interpreter of the tune (imo) Astrud Gilberto passed away recently.

https://youtu.be/Qzd-zp6HbZ8

Re: The Girl From Ipanema (Pianoteq)

Great stuff!

Love the Latin/Jazz feel - so relaxing to listen to. Well played and sympathetically executed improvised second section.

Keep it up.

budo wrote:

here's one of the most well-known (and probably overplayed) tunes in the book, Jobim's Girl From Ipanema.  but even though it gets done so much it's still a great tune.  i especially like how the bridge goes all over the place ... it's always been very surprising to me.  sadly the greatest vocal interpreter of the tune (imo) Astrud Gilberto passed away recently.

"It is still a greta tune" - yes, and with your version it is very enjoyable
The sound on this piano is extraordinary. Different from the sound in Time remembered. I like this one much. It’s like much of sympathetic resonance….

And - the section 2,13 - 3,08 was particularly interesting and exciting, Bravo!
Superb rendition! I can feel ”the music in the music”.

The ending - decrease in loudness, decrease in speed,( rit. and dim.) - well done, I like it. As always.

Thank you budo

Best wishes,

Stig

Lovely subdued performance - fascinating chord voicings in the bridge the first time round and then particularly gorgeous bridge the second time round (especially around 1.51), also I particularly enjoyed the ascending part around 3.35 onwards

Also was wondering which Pianoteq model / preset is this? Has a really smooth ambience to it

DEZ wrote:

Great stuff!

Love the Latin/Jazz feel - so relaxing to listen to. Well played and sympathetically executed improvised second section.

Keep it up.

thank you, i really appreciate it!

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
budo wrote:

"It is still a greta tune" - yes, and with your version it is very enjoyable
The sound on this piano is extraordinary. Different from the sound in Time remembered. I like this one much. It’s like much of sympathetic resonance….

And - the section 2,13 - 3,08 was particularly interesting and exciting, Bravo!
Superb rendition! I can feel ”the music in the music”.

The ending - decrease in loudness, decrease in speed,( rit. and dim.) - well done, I like it. As always.

Thank you budo

Best wishes,

Stig

thank you so much for your comments and for listening.  this piano is a modified Steinway B Gentle (different reverb + condition + unison width (probably ...)).  it is indeed very different from a lot of other pianos i use.   

InnerVersion wrote:

Lovely subdued performance - fascinating chord voicings in the bridge the first time round and then particularly gorgeous bridge the second time round (especially around 1.51), also I particularly enjoyed the ascending part around 3.35 onwards

Also was wondering which Pianoteq model / preset is this? Has a really smooth ambience to it

thank you i really appreciate it.  maybe what you're hearing in the bridge voicings are (1) i changed the dominant 7ths to major 7ths (just felt better to me), (2) lots of extra notes (6,9,#11, etc), (3) odd mixes of intervals (i like to use a mix of 2nds, 5ths, and 6ths instead of straight 3rds or 4ths like a lot of voicings).  also i changed the key to get a different register, that also makes it sound different.

the piano is a modified Steinway B gentle (i talk a bit about in a reply to Stig)