Re: So why guitar?

jacobspauly wrote:
rumburak wrote:

To simulate the sound of a classical guitar well on a keyboard instrument (not only on Pianoteq, but on any other instrument), you need to know how to play classical guitar.
Pretending to play a piano/keyboard style guitar will always sound unnatural, artificial.

This is so true. I've seen a few demos of piano players playing piano pieces with this guitar and it sounds so weird.

I agree, although as someone who barely knows how to play a little guitar, I really enjoyed exploring the Modartt guitar more for exploiting the strengths of physical modeling. It’s almost like a whole new kind of instrument. It can sound pretty weird, and I’m sure someone else could extract a more realistic guitar performance from it, but here are some of the cool possibilities I’ve found:

https://youtu.be/7t9B8kDA888

jacko wrote:

you might be interested in ample sound's luthier classical guitar (sampled, not modelled). their current sale ends very soon but they have sales a few times a year. plenty of demos on their site and on YouTube. no trial version but apart from that, like modartt, I've found them to be a good company to deal with

Thank you! I'll be sure to check that out. How do you think it compares to the new Pianoteq one?

Last edited by jacobspauly (31-12-2022 21:37)

mprimrose wrote:
jacobspauly wrote:

Where is this "plucking point" feature? I can't seem to locate it.

Hi jacobspauly,

After a bit of rummaging around on the Classical Guitar module, I discovered that the "plucking point" feature is a slider at the bottom of the central Voicing Panel, which is hidden behind the graphic of the classical guitar.

Thank you, right in front of my face! But not really.

jacobspauly wrote:

Thank you! I'll be sure to check that out. How do you think it compares to the new Pianoteq one?

I've already invested in the ample sound guitars and am very happy with them for my purposes, so i haven't tried the pianoteq guitar and i can't tell you how they compare. but the ample sound guitars compare very favourably with the real thing for recording and have many awesome features

Nice to see pianoteq offering another option in this space - and a modelled one at that

jacko wrote:
jacobspauly wrote:

I've already invested in the ample sound guitars and am very happy with them for my purposes, so i haven't tried the pianoteq guitar and i can't tell you how they compare. but the ample sound guitars compare very favourably with the real thing for recording and have many awesome features

Nice to see pianoteq offering another option in this space - and a modelled one at that

You can always try them in demo mode for free. Just to get a feel

Fancellu wrote:

You can always try them in demo mode for free. Just to get a feel

yeah that's one of the fantastic things about pianoteq and one of the reasons i ended up buying it in the first place

no reason to demo something i don't want or need though

I guess I should never say never, but the guitar doesn't interest me very much. I'd never use it live and it seems unlikely I'd use it in a production. But maybe it's a step to a bass guitar and/or double bass which I'd probably use. It would take a very serious effort to compete with Modo Bass 2 though.

So I really like the LH position option. I’ve created an expression map for Cubase for it and find its key to getting realistic performance from this model. I also like the plucking point option as it adds a lot of continuous expression that adds realism.

The lower key switches seem awkward so far for me because they apply to all notes when I only want to apply it to one. For instance if I want one note in a chord to be an open string, inserting a key switch will make all notes play on the open string and cancel each other. A little odd.

On the contrary, I'm very happy that they modeled an acoustic nylon string GTR.  I have a big use for it!  I'm just frustrated as hell that I payed for it and now, can't get it licensed !!!!  I'm writing tech support with the exact details of the problem and they read one sentence and respond with a very short answer without addressing/reading my actual issue. And, of course, there's a 24 hr turnaround with every email. OUCH !!!!!! Meanwhile my recording is on hold... FRUSTRATING !!!!!

CuriousDan wrote:

Are you a guitarist? Neither am I (but if you are, this post may not be for you).

So why exactly do we need guitar emulations? Can't use them in public without getting laughed at, very hard to use them in recordings with an authentic expression, so why, Modartt? Is there a target audience of "keytar" players somewhere?

I guess that the current economic crisis is affecting software companies, too, so why not using your ressources to refine Organteq 2 and of course focus on Pianoteq and it's family? I'd also love to see an overhaul on the electric pianos. Their sound is way too hard compared to, say, Lounge Lizard.

Sorry, but his time I have to really convince myself that I should support Pianoteq with an update to v8. If I buy, I will never use it's guitar. I just won't. If you are a guitarist and own Pianoteq, you're in luck and may use it skillfully, the rest of us will suck at playing (but yes, the Daniel Fisher video is very entertaining. just like skilled Launchpad players are good at fingerplaying drums). I guess Kontakt or Band-in-a-box will do the job much easier, if you are looking for authentic guitar playing. Sorry for ranting.

I'm an upright bassist and I have a huge need for this guitar emulation with my productions. Of course you can never emulate a real guitarist due to the trillion different ways you can strike a string but it is still useful and they will most certainly improve it thru time...

jacko wrote:
jacobspauly wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion about Ample Guitars. I went to their website and downloaded their demo classical Guitar and it loaded the player without the sounds. I can't find anything on their site about this and they have no contact numbers. This seems to be a common problem with foreign company's. I liked their demo but I can't try it out for myself. drag...

Mo wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion about Ample Guitars. I went to their website and downloaded their demo classical Guitar and it loaded the player without the sounds. I can't find anything on their site about this

their demos (projects) are different from their trials (actual software plus library) as i understand it

there's no trial of their classical 'luthier' but there are trial versions of other libraries so you can see how the software works. (note - as discussed elsewhere on this thread, this is one of the great advantages of pianoteq - full functioning demos of all instruments with just a few notes disabled.) On their downloads page under 'trials' the link to the library download is right next to the link to the software download.

Mo wrote:

and they have no contact numbers. This seems to be a common problem with foreign company's...

this is an international forum so what is 'foreign' to you is 'local' to someone else

Last edited by jacko (20-01-2023 22:53)

rumburak wrote:

To simulate the sound of a classical guitar well on a keyboard instrument (not only on Pianoteq, but on any other instrument), you need to know how to play classical guitar.
Pretending to play a piano/keyboard style guitar will always sound unnatural, artificial.

I have no interest in the guitar model even though they gave it to me.

BarbaraRB wrote:
rumburak wrote:

I have no interest in the guitar model even though they gave it to me.

The beauty of it though is it doesn't take up any extra space. We aren't talking samples here - no more and no less drive space to worry about. All that does is unlock the limitations on the models already inside the Pianoteq software.

I assume you have the full package of all of the instruments so regardless of whether you want the instruments or not you will get full access to all of them.

Owing to my limited abilities and tastes I went for standard as I didn't want all of the instruments, or rather I can't do justice to all of the instruments.

I love the guitar.

I can't play guitar, but I love Classical Guitar. Have made at least 20 recordings already with Organteq and guitar as soloist, playing from keyboard.  I enjoy the sound and the opportunities to experiment, trying to get a fatter sound on Guitar Electrified is exciting, for example.

To simulate a classical guitar well on a keyboard instrument, you need to know how to play classical guitar, well, I know that it is so. But I am happy with the result.
I have also received some positive feedback.
I'm not competing with anyone, I just enjoy the Guitar sound, as I enjoy all Modartt's products.

Thank you Robin Tournemenne for the Guitar.

Here a simple example of many, whether it sounds like a real guitar or not, I'm enjoying it anyway   

https://youtu.be/OOHFdfZVkTY

All the best, everyone

Stig

Last edited by Pianoteqenthusiast (04-08-2023 00:50)