Re: Pianoteq 8 just been released 16.11.2022

mqbernardo wrote:

Hi all, is there a way to demo the pro version? the current discount makes it tempting, plus I´d get a new instrument pack (I think) but would like to demo the pro version first.

thanks in advance,
Miguel.

You can't. But Pro is identical to Standard in the user interface and sound, the only difference being that you have many more parameters that you can edit note-by-note (in Standard you can edit only volume, IIRC).

Two new features I like...

1. We can toggle back and forth between the old interface and the new one.

2. We can toggle back and forth between the Pianoteq models and our native instrument (in my case, a Roland). I wouldn't often do this (if ever), but it's nice to have the option.

shackshack wrote:

I'm confused how the instrument packs work with the PT8 upgrade - it isn't really explained what happens to them.

I have PT7 Standard with 4 instruments (3 came with Standard and I bought one more).

I presume the simple upgrade from Standard v7 to v8 includes all 4 instruments? Or will I need to re-buy my fourth instrument?

If I upgrade to PRO v8, the upgrades page says it comes with one free instrument...
Does that mean I will have to re-buy my other 3 instruments on top of the upgrade?
Or do my current 4 instruments get upgraded, plus I get a fifth free instrument?
Or does PRO only default to 4 instruments, so I'll just get my same 4 instruments?

You keep everything you had.

dv wrote:

You can't. But Pro is identical to Standard in the user interface and sound, the only difference being that you have many more parameters that you can edit note-by-note (in Standard you can edit only volume, IIRC).

That's what I´m trying to figure out, if the extra tweak-ability justifies the cost of the Pro upgrade. I mostly use PTQ presets or have fun randomising them ad infinitum, so the pro isn't an obvious choice. Then again, I could just indulge in some good old-fashioned conspicuous GAS. Just don't tell my wife.

Last edited by mqbernardo (17-11-2022 15:48)

BarbaraRB wrote:

2. We can toggle back and forth between the Pianoteq models and our native instrument (in my case, a Roland). I wouldn't often do this (if ever), but it's nice to have the option.

may I ask you how? I had the manual but the dog ate it. kind of.

thanks,
Miguel.

mqbernardo wrote:
dv wrote:

That's what I´m trying to figure out, if the extra tweak-ability justifies the cost of the Pro upgrade. I mostly use PTQ presets or have fun randomising them ad infinitum, so the pro isn't an obvious choice. Then again, I could just indulge in some good old-fashioned conspicuous GAS. Just don't tell my wife.

The only reasons I can see is being able to do things as I described at https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=8969 (tl;dr; I wanted the bass to be more bright without the midrange and treble becoming more bright too -- you can't do that in Standard yourself, but a friend could and you could load the preset --  you can't even load the preset if you have Stage).

If you have a similar need, and assuming you have Standard, I'd say go for it. Considering that you'll get an additional instrument (which alone costs $50) it's a good deal. If you really don't need anything like that, just get an instrument or two, perhaps waiting for when they are on sale, which sometimes are.

On and around MIDI note 84 the New York Steinway D sounds very, very boxy indeed on the "Classical "setting - the Hamburg model does not. I think it's a bit excessive and the factory preset needs adjustment.

I found moving the middle microphones reduced it dramatically.

mqbernardo wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

may I ask you how? I had the manual but the dog ate it. kind of.

thanks,
Miguel.

For #1 use the window menu and click on "use compact..." to go from the old interface to the new, or vice versa to go the other way.

I'm afraid to search for the other one right now because I tend to make a mistake and do something I find hard to reverse. I'm still learning this update.

I also found some shortcuts on the window menu... To go from fullscreen to regular the shotrcut is
Cont-Shift-F. That's a really useful one!

User since v1, I simply upgraded, because something told me my 12 year old PC would still be able to handle Pianoteq like before. And it does!

As you can keep Pianoteq 7 in case you like (just to compare the sounds), you don't lose anything. As a pianoteq pro user I am mostly interested in the pianos, but it is always nice that the new nylon guitar is, like all instruments, available as demo to test.

Thank you all at Modartt!

I'm really happy to have the upgrade, but I still hope we'll get a new piano before too long. I'm sure a lot of people will love the classical guitar, but it isn't something I'll use. There have been times that Modartt released instruments separately, haven't there? Oh well, I'll enjoy the enormous range of what we already have, but hope springs eternal.

BarbaraRB, I am sure there will be new pianos. I play - well, not as a professional - guitar myself, so I am also waiting for maybe a new nice piano and won't but the guitar yet. On the other hand there are such lovely ones already. For example I also still love the Kremsegg editions, and the Karsten collection. The only ones I do not own yet are the Grotrian and the Steinway B.

As I like the Grand C Bechstein, I will check at the fxp corner (also for the Steingraeber and Petrofs, if there are new presets by users. I like the "classical recording" presets in the Steinways and Petrof grands. A few more presets for the Bechstein, Steingraeber and others would be nice, but we can do those for our own taste, of course. We had a somewhat out of tune upright which sounded rather bassy, but still nice; so I tried to imitate this with the U4 I bought years ago^^.

After first playing indeed some metallic sounds are new in v8, (mentioned by a user in another thread). So I'll try more - and it might be just a metallic sound in my own ears, as I got a cold and a red nose, ha ha ha... I think I just have to play more, and with fresh ears. And why not keeping v7, just to be able to compare.

BarbaraRB wrote:

I'm really happy to have the upgrade, but I still hope we'll get a new piano before too long. I'm sure a lot of people will love the classical guitar, but it isn't something I'll use. There have been times that Modartt released instruments separately, haven't there? Oh well, I'll enjoy the enormous range of what we already have, but hope springs eternal.

I too would have loved a new grand piano and I hope it is in the works... however with this V8 I am rediscovering the Steinway D NY, especially the new "inside" preset which I love... as well as the other greatly improved presets...

BarbaraRB wrote:

Yes, they release models separately. Probably most of them .

Click to see more on the news list.  It goes back through all the releases:

https://www.modartt.com/news?num=100

I was surprised we got a guitar rather than yet another modern piano.
However the guitar sounds excellent to me, and offer something genuinely different.  I might get a copy during one of their occasional sales. I do have other software for that though and I wasn't looking for another virtual nylon guitar (or any virtual guitar for that matter).

I would like to see them model wind instruments for breath and wind control one day. That would have to be a different product though, who knows.

Key Fumbler wrote:

On and around MIDI note 84 the New York Steinway D sounds very, very boxy indeed on the "Classical "setting

I'm not hearing that. I set up a DAW project to play though the whole scale, alternating the two versions of the default NY Steinway D Classical preset and listened to it at several different velocities. To me the new voicing is "boxier" overall but pretty consistently so across the whole scale. If anything, I notice it more 3-4 octaves below that.

I haven't decided whether it's an improvement for me and my playing composing style, personally. I generally prefer brighter pianos but Pianoteq does tend to get a little 'electronic' sounding at higher velocities so maybe this is a good compromise. I do feel that it has a more commanding presence down lower that P7 was missing; it's a little esier to summon the "thunder" when you want it.

BarbaraRB wrote:

That is indeed a very good feature, since I dislike the new look.
But, how to toggle forth between the old interface and the new one?

[Edit] After a second and more thorough look, I can say, that I actually like the new interface. There's always room for improvement. But that is a very individual thing, since people differ in what they like.

Last edited by Viridis (18-11-2022 13:44)
Have a nice day & happy playin'

Yamaha CP33 -- Scarlett 2i2 -- Yamaha HS7 / Sennheiser HD650 -- PTQ 7 Std [Linux/OSX] -- Some instruments

brundlefly wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

On and around MIDI note 84 the New York Steinway D sounds very, very boxy indeed on the "Classical "setting

I'm not hearing that. I set up a DAW project to play though the whole scale, alternating the two versions of the default NY Steinway D Classical preset and listened to it at several different velocities. To me the new voicing is "boxier" overall but pretty consistently so across the whole scale. If anything, I notice it more 3-4 octaves below that.

I haven't decided whether it's an improvement for me and my playing composing style, personally. I generally prefer brighter pianos but Pianoteq does tend to get a little 'electronic' sounding at higher velocities so maybe this is a good compromise. I do feel that it has a more commanding presence down lower that P7 was missing; it's a little esier to summon the "thunder" when you want it.

Strange, perhaps we are talking at cross purposes?
I refer to a wooden resonant thock sound - if you can forgive the use of onomatopoeia.

It's not the loudspeakers I don't hear it on other instruments and presets to anything like the same degree.

I wonder if there are accidental differences? I am using Standard.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (17-11-2022 19:00)

Klemperer wrote:

BarbaraRB, I am sure there will be new pianos. I play - well, not as a professional - guitar myself, so I am also waiting for maybe a new nice piano and won't but the guitar yet. On the other hand there are such lovely ones already. For example I also still love the Kremsegg editions, and the Karsten collection. The only ones I do not own yet are the Grotrian and the Steinway B.

As I like the Grand C Bechstein, I will check at the fxp corner (also for the Steingraeber and Petrofs, if there are new presets by users. I like the "classical recording" presets in the Steinways and Petrof grands. A few more presets for the Bechstein, Steingraeber and others would be nice, but we can do those for our own taste, of course. We had a somewhat out of tune upright which sounded rather bassy, but still nice; so I tried to imitate this with the U4 I bought years ago^^.

After first playing indeed some metallic sounds are new in v8, (mentioned by a user in another thread). So I'll try more - and it might be just a metallic sound in my own ears, as I got a cold and a red nose, ha ha ha... I think I just have to play more, and with fresh ears. And why not keeping v7, just to be able to compare.

Yes, it's crazy in a way to keep hoping for still more pianos when we already have such an incredible range. I love the historical pianos as well as the modern ones. And I'll never live long enough to do more than scratch the surface of the current offerings! Still, irrational or not, I'd love to have a Fazioli, a Bosendorfer, and a CFX.

Interesting that you mentioned the Grotrian. I just started playing it this week, and it has swept me away!

If you already own nearly everything, you might be able to upgrade to Studio for free or nearly free since you will be credited for everything you have spent, which should be more than the currently discounted price?????

Last edited by BarbaraRB (17-11-2022 18:50)

I've never downloaded any of the FXPs, but I'd love to. If we download them, where are they stored? How do we find them so we can use them?

Many thanks for any guidance!

I installed the new Pianoteq 8 last night and doodling around with it for 3 hours. As the person who love perfection myself for small details, I can easily said that this new update is the Highlight of Moddart ever in Piano modeling technology. Here my thought about Pianoteq 8:

1. It’s perfect. Although nothing is perfect, but it fulfilled the request that many of us have been requested.
2. Steinway D sounds improve a lot. There’s a little hard to response on this Piano. I did hit as hard as possible for many of the
    Presets, but only one that response nicely done. That’s the Warm Model D.  Since I always use “Warm” preset on all Piano
    brands including model D, I think this is already great and enough for me.
3. Pianoteq would be the One Stop shop for Piano sounds. I don’t think there’s other brand better than Pianoteq.
4. The new Guitar sound is Unexpected and totally Surprised other company. If Pianoteq can keep doing this, I believe in the
    Future I can see Pianoteq become the Best competitor of Native Instruments. The best thing, it doesn’t need Gigabyte storage.
5. There’s one Preset that sounds like Strings. This is another Surprise. This will be my new favorite preset next to Warm.
6. I noticed it’s lighter than previous Pianoteq 7.5.4. My 2014 MacBook Pro don’t get overload with the 8 version.
7. The upcoming iPad edition will be Gold. I believe many of us still have older model. I hope it can run on pre-M1 model so
    we don’t have to upgrade to M1 or new M2 iPad model.
8. I have a small request for ON and OFF Button next to Volume or anywhere that easy to access so we don’t have manually drag
    Volume down to 0 when we use other VST.

Thank you Modartt.

YouTube page: Dulistan Heman

BarbaraRB wrote:

I've never downloaded any of the FXPs, but I'd love to. If we download them, where are they stored? How do we find them so we can use them?

You can drag and drop them or you can click on them to open them. Then when you save them they will be saved to the instrument they are linked to. So a NY-D preset patch will be found in the NY-D list.
I tend to save them in a custom folder "Forum Presets"
In Windows you will find the the initial download place is in the download file folder.
In Pianoteq itself you can click on the list of presets for the folder location in your operating system. I'm not looking at it right now so I can't give you a better description.

Key Fumbler wrote:

I refer to a wooden resonant thock sound - if you can forgive the use of onomatopoeia.

Ah, yes, I can hear that in the attack; I was focusing more on the tone of the sustain. That is certainly more noticeable in the upper ranges on both instruments (and in real pianos) due the higher string tension. Possibly they remodeled the string mechanics such that more of the hammer impulse (especially the lower frequencies of it) is transferred to the soundboard. Just speculating. Whether they should "fix" it might depend on whether it's closer to or further from the real thing in that respect.

My impression has been that this charactieristic of the attack was already more pronouced in Pianoteq 7 than on a real piano, but I haven't really done any side-by-side listening.

I'm thinking maybe it's not as noticeable in the Hamburg D because the tonal change between versions is not as drastic to my ear.

Last edited by brundlefly (17-11-2022 20:05)

Key Fumbler wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

You can drag and drop them or you can click on them to open them. Then when you save them they will be saved to the instrument they are linked to. So a NY-D preset patch will be found in the NY-D list.
In Windows you will find the the initial download place is in the download file folder.
In Pianoteq itself you can click on the list of presets for the folder location in your operating system. I'm not looking at it right now so I can't give you a better description.

Thank you so much!  That worked perfectly - so simple.  I opened it from my downloads file and saved it to "My Presets."  Then, within Pianoteq, I could find it under "My Presets" and also under the main instrument it was created from. 

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  There are so many brilliant presets created by Pianoteq users.

Wow it is awesome!! Wish I could have kept all the pianos I have in 7  into 8...had them all

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

BarbaraRB wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

Thank you so much!  That worked perfectly - so simple.  I opened it from my downloads file and saved it to "My Presets."  Then, within Pianoteq, I could find it under "My Presets" and also under the main instrument it was created from. 

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  There are so many brilliant presets created by Pianoteq users.

Glad that helped. I might have to retune some of those I have contributed there for version 8

dulistan heman wrote:

If Pianoteq can keep doing this, I believe in the
    Future I can see Pianoteq become the Best competitor of Native Instruments. The best thing, it doesn’t need Gigabyte storage.
Thank you Modartt.

My sample pianos went a while back.

Apart from Kontakt (and Reaktor which isn't getting enough love from them recently) NI are rapidly becoming a stack 'em high sell 'em cheap brand like Waves. They buy in developers and buy in products and brands to sell under their own brand.
That's not to say they don't do some good products in their vast range because they still do however I see them as very different animals.

Modartt are physical modelling specialists The pursuit of excellence first and foremost. Everything in terms of modelling is in house to the best of my knowledge.

Kramster1 wrote:

Wow it is awesome!! Wish I could have kept all the pianos I have in 7  into 8...had them all

What do you mean?
All your existing older purchases should be visible in Pianoteq 8.
Perhaps you have somehow bought Pianoteq 8 without tying it up to your existing license?

What is more if you look in your DAW you will see that version 7 is still there in projects.  So if you want to run the old versions of the same packs you can do a/b comparisons.

brundlefly wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

Ah, yes, I can hear that in the attack; I was focusing more on the tone of the sustain. That is certainly more noticeable in the upper ranges on both instruments (and in real pianos) due the higher string tension. Possibly they remodeled the string mechanics such that more of the hammer impulse (especially the lower frequencies of it) is transferred to the soundboard. Just speculating. Whether they should "fix" it might depend on whether it's closer to or further from the real thing in that respect.

My impression has been that this charactieristic of the attack was already more pronouced in Pianoteq 7 than on a real piano, but I haven't really done any side-by-side listening.

I'm thinking maybe it's not as noticeable in the Hamburg D because the tonal change between versions is not as drastic to my ear.

I said that.

Key Fumbler wrote:

On and around MIDI note 84 the New York Steinway D sounds very, very boxy indeed on the "Classical "setting - the Hamburg model does not. I think it's a bit excessive and the factory preset needs adjustment.

I found moving the middle microphones reduced it dramatically.

Also it's just a hint in the B presets and makes the pianos sound more realistic.

As I said it's just a microphone positions. I think the preset needs adjustment to the new model, that's all.

Last edited by Key Fumbler (17-11-2022 20:18)

If I upgrade from Standard to Pro 8 will I get Pro 8 or do I have to buy the upgrade to Standard 8 first. Coming from Version 7.5.

Edit: Found the answer myself in my account. Just one step from any version to higher version 8.

Last edited by Vranq (17-11-2022 20:31)

What do you mean?
All your existing older purchases should be visible in Pianoteq 8.
Perhaps you have somehow bought Pianoteq 8 without tying it up to your existing license?
What is more if you look in your DAW you will see that version 7 is still there in projects.  So if you want to run the old versions of the same packs you can do a/b comparisons.

Ill try to figure it out ... when registered 8 I had to pick 3 instrument packs ... i picked guitar and 2 I had already  Petrof and Steinways.. my favorites  so at least I have them... sound so freakin' good...

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

Kramster1 wrote:

Ill try to figure it out ... when registered 8 I had to pick 3 instrument packs ... i picked guitar and 2 I had already  Petrof and Steinways.. my favorites  so at least I have them... sound so freakin' good...

If I understand you correctly you have accidentally bought an entirely new licence rather than upgrading an existing one. Therefore you have needlessly bought your existing products yet again.

The upgrade 7-8 is €29. All your existing packs should be available to you. You don't have to buy them again!
I suggest you contact Modartt support and tell them what you've done. Maybe you can transfer the funds to some more piano packs instead?

You can upgrade from any version from 1 to 8:
https://www.modartt.com/upgrades

Last edited by Key Fumbler (17-11-2022 20:36)

Key Fumbler wrote:
Kramster1 wrote:

If I understand you correctly you have accidentally bought an entirely new licence rather than upgrading an existing one. Therefore you have needlessly bought your existing products yet again.

The upgrade 7-8 is €29. All your existing packs should be available to you. You don't have to buy them again!
I suggest you contact Modartt support and tell them what you've done. Maybe you can transfer the funds to some more piano packs instead?

Yup... some how I did that ... I have been upgrading since version 5  and never messed it up ... always something Ill try to figure out the up grade somehow.. I sent email to Modartt ..I am not worried as I know they will fix it ..mean while loving it!   And yes $29 would be nicer than the $201.75..ha...

Last edited by Kramster1 (17-11-2022 20:41)

Uninstalled the 8 I bought with a new license  and did the upgrade from 7 to 8 with my original license and only showing the 3 instrument packs I bought with the 8 I just uninstalled ...... I need a nap...ha.. Ill try again tomorrow... I better go play a real guitar for awhile ..

Has anyone tried the new "note effects" button/menu yet?

dulistan heman wrote:

8. I have a small request for ON and OFF Button next to Volume or anywhere that easy to access so we don’t have manually drag

It is a bit hidden and was forgotten in the original changelog, but if you click on the volume meter (above the volume slider), it will mute Pianoteq.

I cant stop playing !! It even sounds better through my cheapo monitor sparkers... M-Audio BX5s and M-Audio Sub and of course in my various headphones it's fantastic. Just sayin'

Groove On wrote:
davidizquierdo82 wrote:

... iOS app coming soon ...

Looking forward to this! Whatever the pricing scheme, I'm in, though it does bring up a few interesting issues. I wonder if an M1 iPad can run Pianoteq while displaying sheet music?

That's what I'd like to know too.   However I returned the M1 iPad Pro in favor of the Samsung 8 Ultra which has a larger screen in one dimension.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Thank you so much Modartt and all the Modartt team for the superb update that is Pianoteq 8. Wow! What an incredible update! And the sound and realism has come on in leaps and bounds. Thank you again dear friends. Feels like family!!!

Warmest regards,

Chris

Hi Guys and Dolls,

frankly speaking - despite the revoicing of the pianos -  for the first time i feel a bit underwhelmed of a "major" PTeq update.

Instead of putting in a lot of work on modeling a guitar, which is not even included for free, i'd rather had them come up with a new acoustic grand model.

And if they want or must venture into new markets, imho Modartt better had made a separate product called Guitarteq, and kept the focus of Pteq on pianos ...

Last edited by Pboy (18-11-2022 16:49)
Music was my first love. And it will be my last. Music of the future. And music of the past (John Miles)

The reworking of the piano models in version 8 is major. Anybody doing a serious A/B with the previous version will hear how much some of the models are improved: the Steinway D New York, for one,  is massively better. IMHO it's Modartt's crowning achievement. From the tinyest pppp to the fff thunderous bass register, you can feel its size and depth, and how incredibly expressive it has become. The YC5 is also radically better, the U4 and Grotrian much improved. The Vintage reeds W2 is like a completely new instrument! All that for a mere 29 euros/dollars. How many grand pianos does one need? Come on.

Pboy wrote:

Hi Guys and Dolls,

frankly speaking - despite the revoicing of the pianos -  for the first time i feel a bit underwhelmed of a "major" PTeq update.

Instead of putting in a lot of work on modeling a guitar, which is not even included for free, i'd rather had them come up with a new acoustic grand model.

And if they want or must venture into new markets, imho Modartt better had made a separate product called Guitarteq, and kept the focus of Pteq on pianos ...

PT 7.3 with Steinway B and D, U4 upright, YC5, Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Ant. Petrov, Kremsegg Collection #2, Electric Pianos and Hohner Collection. http://antoinewcaron.com

I just upgraded from V7 to V8 and am very pleased.  The sound has been improved to my ears.   The C. Bechstein Prelude is my favorite and it sounds even more beautiful with the upgrade.

I think the improved sound it's not just due revoicing of the piano models. The website also said the physical model was refined in V8.

Whatever it is the users are very pleased overall.

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-11-2022 19:28)

Yes !

https://w0.peakpx.com/wallpaper/305/311...r-av8b.jpg

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Beto-Music wrote:

I think the improved sound it's not just due revoicing of the piano models. The website also said the physical model was refined in V8.

I see some of the the folks over at Pianoclack forum strongly disagree (I'm not a member there). They seem to think we our a bunch of easily pleased hive mind chumps but if the Kool-Aid tastes this good bring it on!

Last edited by Key Fumbler (18-11-2022 19:49)

Key Fumbler wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I see some of the the folks over at Pianoclack forum strongly disagree (I'm not a member there). They seem to think we our a bunch of easily pleased hive mind chumps but if the Kool-Aid tastes this good bring it on!

The disagreement was a few pages ago now we're on "The equations are wrong and pianos are not modelled" page. LMAO, I love the internet!

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Just bought the update to v8, because I am convinced Pianoteq and the idea of physical modeling is great.
I read most user like its sound better than before. I read "less metallic", "rounded", "more wood"... Hm. I love the K2 which I use in my current Logic project, and I copied the piano track and inserted Pianoteq 8 instead of 7. My first impression was: The sound lacks brilliance. I compared the settings rather pedantically but found no difference. I just miss some steel and elegance in shape, it sounds more synthetical to me... Maybe I can compensate it a little bit by adjusting the hammer hardness or so.

Last edited by Jope (18-11-2022 22:06)
Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Chopin87 wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

The disagreement was a few pages ago now we're on "The equations are wrong and pianos are not modelled" page. LMAO, I love the internet!

LOL, damn I missed a bit.  I will get the popcorn!

Jope wrote:

Just bought the update to v8, because I am convinced Pianoteq and the idea of physical modeling is great.
I read most user like its sound better than before. I read "less metallic", "rounded", "more wood"... Hm. I love the K2 which I use in my current Logic project, and I copied the piano track and inserted Pianoteq 8 instead of 7. My first impression was: The sound lacks brilliance. I compared the settings rather pedantically but found no difference. I just miss some steel and elegance in shape, it sounds more synthetical to me... Maybe I can compensate it a little bit by adjusting the hammer hardness or so.

Well, as it happens K2 indeed is a synthetic model, meaning it doesn’t exist IRL.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Groove On wrote:
davidizquierdo82 wrote:

... iOS app coming soon ...

Looking forward to this! Whatever the pricing scheme, I'm in, though it does bring up a few interesting issues. I wonder if an M1 iPad can run Pianoteq while displaying sheet music?

Same here, running Pianoteq on an iPad behind the scenes while reading sheets in ForScore, Henle or other apps would a be a huge improvement. No need for laptop + iPad side by side above the keyboard.

Is this just me I hear less noise with this version. I mean pedal noise, key release noise, damper noise...
I always like those because of more natural feeling.

julien wrote:
dulistan heman wrote:

It is a bit hidden and was forgotten in the original changelog, but if you click on the volume meter (above the volume slider), it will mute Pianoteq.

Got it. Thanks Julien.

I am still digging this Beast. Totally in Awe, Eargasm, Dreaming, and everything in between. It's totally beyond expectations.

Once again, thanks Moddart team.

Last edited by dulistan heman (19-11-2022 08:15)
YouTube page: Dulistan Heman

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but I think the reverb sounds generally better in v8.

Fleer wrote:
Jope wrote:

Well, as it happens K2 indeed is a synthetic model, meaning it doesn’t exist IRL.

Not my point. I know there is no real K2. I am saying it sounds not as brilliant as the K2 of Pianoteq 7 does.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

dazric wrote:

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but I think the reverb sounds generally better in v8.

I think it's mostly just better tuning. Maybe I should go and have a look at the specs.

As for reverb and delay the OTT delay on some v.7 classical patches reduced I think - or subjectively appears that way.

The Wurly model is much improved. It sounds far more alive. More mechanical.
The mono out to stereo FX implementation is welcome.

The improved YC5 sounds fine on classical material too. It was improved in 7 and now further improved here.

The anger at Modartt daring to create an excellent guitar physical model still amuses me when they've improved everything else.
I still don't get it. I haven't bought it yet, I just don't get the anger.

Surely the pursuit of a top of the range concert piano is to have the best possible sounding concert piano. Not just one more excellent pristine piano for the list?
We are already drowning in clean toned top of the range world class piano options. Yes it will be nice when we get more, but yet another clean toned piano is and will be another piano that can be swapped out with one of the existing ones. Harder to do so with a guitar model!

When going full screen in compact mode you can really appreciate the new rendered model visuals.
Possibly in future generations they can improve on this?
For instance have the lid removed when you remove the lid in the microphone section. Put the U4 pianos up against a wall.
Render microphones in the positions they are are in the microphone section?
Possibly too resource heavy?

It would be nice to be able to lay it out so that full screen could use all of your screen, not just full screen in the vertical. This is what I am seeing at 1440p. Perhaps at 4K you see black underneath that too?

The "magnification" settings seem out of date with respect to 100% being absolutely miniscule on modern screens. Maybe that just reflects the resolution when Pianoteq was first created?
I use 200%.  It would be nice to be able to use grades between. A small niggle.  The already great user interface is even better.