Re: Is Pianoteq v.8 about to be released?

ByronHeart wrote:

I got some new heaphones after I've sold my licence... I'm a little regretful! Looks like my previous AKG K92 really messed up the sound of it and the HD599 really make it sound only 1% or 2% artificial, opposed to the 50% it did with the K92!

Hopefully 8 comes out and I'll probably aquire again!

To the people complaining about the sound. Please, check out the headphones or speakers youre listening to!

Thumbs up.
This difference is not to be underestimated. There is very little artifice to Pianoteq already. That's not to say it can't get better. 5 to 6 to 7 it has improved, however all of these in my experience sound like different levels of piano recordings! - 6 and 7 more like audiophile high resolution recordings with 5 sounding more relaxed and softer but less realistic.

ByronHeart wrote:

I got some new heaphones after I've sold my licence... I'm a little regretful! Looks like my previous AKG K92 really messed up the sound of it and the HD599 really make it sound only 1% or 2% artificial, opposed to the 50% it did with the K92!

ByronHeart, the biggest difference in headphones was probably switching to open back. I switched from a closed-back pair to open-back (in my case Grado SR-225) and the improvement in sound was a delight. No going back. Closed back headphones have their uses when you need to block out as much sound as possible and prevent others from hearing any of your sound. But otherwise if you want natural sound, open-back are the way to go. Those HD599's seem like a good deal.

While I generally have a preference for open-back headphones myself there are plenty of high quality high end closed back headphones. Certainly before you get into the big money I find closed back headphones a bit more risky. More misses than hits.

ByronHeart wrote:

Hopefully 8 comes out and I'll probably aquire again!

To the people complaining about the sound. Please, check out the headphones or speakers youre listening to!

The 1-2% artificial can be easily adjusted with the condition slider if you don't want it to sound too perfect, which I think is what people mran by artificial.

Key Fumbler wrote:

While I generally have a preference for open-back headphones myself there are plenty of high quality high end closed back headphones. Certainly before you get into the big money I find closed back headphones a bit more risky. More misses than hits.

I prefer open backed. Mine are so comfortable I forget I'm wearing them and the sound is wonderful.

BarbaraRB wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

I prefer open backed. Mine are so comfortable I forget I'm wearing them and the sound is wonderful.

I have also used open back many years, not going back to closed. I find open giving natural sound with Ptq for my ears. Grado Labs Prestige Series.

Best wishes,

Stig

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

I have also used open back many years, not going back to closed. I find open giving natural sound with Ptq for my ears. Grado Labs Prestige Series.

Best wishes,

Stig

Trouble is with open backed the world and his wife can hear your playing . . .. d'ya really want to be so cruel? 

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

peterws wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

Best wishes,

Stig

Trouble is with open backed the world and his wife can hear your playing . . .. d'ya really want to be so cruel? 

Ha ha, that's true in the same small room. So if you were for instance in a very small quiet flat and the other person was quiet, say didn't have radio or TV on they could potentially hear a little sound leakage. 

It depends on how unsympathetic and ultra intolerant the other people were.

I guess if you want to practise when someone is sleeping in the same room then you will want to break out the closed headphones. No problem having a pair of both. Some cheaper closed back for those awkward times, and awkward spouses.

Key Fumbler wrote:
peterws wrote:

Best wishes,

Stig

Ha ha, that's true in the same small room. So if you were for instance in a very small quiet flat and the other person was quiet, say didn't have radio or TV on they could potentially hear a little sound leakage. 

I guess if you want to practise when someone is sleeping in the same room then you will want to break out the closed headphones. No problem having a pair of both. Some cheaper closed back for those awkward times, and awkward spouses.

My wife is sitting in a wheelchair, can’t move herself, lame, always in her own room, can't move with the wheelchair and I have my own other studio room for the music, open back is the choice. So, peterws, no, I’m not cruel, she can’t hear me and, Key Fumbler, the other person, my wife, is not unsympathetic and ultra intolerant. I can continue my playing, uploads, of course - as long as this forum don’t think I’m cruel or intolerant with my many 422 uploads so far, and all the time growing every week. Sorry, but I can't stop. Modartt products are too good

Best wishes,

Stig

Key Fumbler wrote:
peterws wrote:

My wife is sitting in a wheelchair, can’t move herself, lame, always in her own room, can't move with the wheelchair and I have my own other studio room for the music, open back is the choice. So, peterws, no, I’m not cruel, she can’t hear me and, Key Fumbler, the other person, my wife, is not unsympathetic and ultra intolerant. I can continue my playing, uploads, of course - as long as this forum don’t think I’m cruel or intolerant with my many 422 uploads so far, and all the time growing every week. Sorry, but I can't stop. Modartt products are too good

Best wishes,

Stig

Ha, nobody said anything against you or your wife. I'm talking about some hypothetical intolerant type. Some nagging someone that moans when they can just about tell the high-frequency pitter patter of sounds from headphones in the silence of a quiet room. The kind of people that get in Pink Floyd songs about walls!

Key Fumbler wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

Best wishes,

Stig

Ha, nobody said anything against you or your wife. I'm talking about some hypothetical intolerant type. Some nagging someone that moans when they can just about tell the high-frequency pitter patter of sounds from headphones in the silence of a quiet room. The kind of people that get in Pink Floyd songs about walls!

Yes Key Fumbler, I understood but couldn’t recist to say something Anyway, we are a bit off topic now, so let’s just wait now for version 8 

Best,

Stig

Key Fumbler wrote:
peterws wrote:

Best wishes,

Stig

I agree - very minimal sound leakage.  Only a teeny-tiny bit, unless you are really thundering on the piano!

BarbaraRB wrote:

I agree - very minimal sound leakage.  Only a teeny-tiny bit, unless you are really thundering on the piano!

Just a small observation... if you're thumping on the keys others are more likely to hear this than what's 'leaking' out of your headphones. But I fail to see what all of this has to do with the highly expected arrival of P8.

In the meantime, I'm having fun exploring aspects of P7.5 I have, hitherto, neglected and I haven't even started on velocity curves, FXs, and the plethora of other goodies under the hood (individual key mappings...etc...)

You take your time, Modartt what we have already probably isn't used to the full by the majority of us ! I'm certainly guilty of that !!!

I'm thinking release will be closer to Thanksgiving ☺️

instred wrote:

Modartt is a European company. Thanksgiving means literally nothing to Europeans. It might happen by coincidence but it's totally irrelevant to them I suggest.

More likely than not we will get a version 8 this year, but it is by no means certain.

Since it was done allegedly in error (rather than putting out plausibly deniable feelers to see the reaction to a new version in our turbulent times) maybe they won't even put out version 8.0 but merely version 7.8?
This might also account for the retraction. Somebody perhaps took an internal announcement of version 7.8 for full blown version 8.
I am guessing new version launches are most important for sales - especially for gaining new customers, rather than merely pleasing the existing user base. So it could be quite important to do market research to see if people are in a frame of mind to buy into Pianoteq.

Launching anything new at this time has to be scary, if it is important to your company. Maybe Modartt is comfortable enough for this not to be scary, I don't know.
Do people throw money at new software when governments are talking about potential blackouts I don't know?

The big deal is that the coming new version will be a revelation as it will carry a V8 engine.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag...p;usqp=CAU

Paul Newman would have loved this new version.

Beto-Music wrote:

The big deal is that the coming new version will be a revelation as it will carry a V8 engine.

This is off topic but,

Thank you Beto-Music. I always like your humour
The first known working V8 engine was produced by the French company Antoinette in 1904, made functional by a Frenchman called Leon Levavaseur.
25 Hp. I'm sure today's French Modartt Pianoteq machine has more power than 25 HP, because you can modify/tweak this engine almost endlessly 

Best,

Stig

Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

Modartt is a European company. Thanksgiving means literally nothing to Europeans. It might happen by coincidence but it's totally irrelevant to them I suggest.

it determines black friday/cyber monday - so some relevance for marketing.

Thanksgiven?

Well... Modartt can always prepare a turkey.

https://goturkiye.com/blog/traditional-...nstruments

jbaker8935 wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-11-2022 17:29)

Thanks.
You gave one more intetesting piece for these French Connection Tecnologic facts:

-The first sound recording, by french inventor Édouard-Léon Scott.
-The first V8 engine, Leon levavaseur, France.
-The first modelled digital piano, France again by Philippe Guillaume.

But there is still a french missing link, a huge mystery around : Where are the Pierres?????
I see no Pierre in this list of inventions, and not a single Pierre name in the whole Modartt team all these years.

Do you still have people called Pierre on France?

Beto-Music wrote:

This is off topic but,

The first known working V8 engine was produced by the French company Antoinette in 1904, made functional by a Frenchman called Leon Levavaseur.
25 Hp. I'm sure today's French Modartt Pianoteq machine has more power than 25 HP, because you can modify/tweak this engine almost endlessly 

Best,

Stig

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-11-2022 17:54)

jbaker8935 wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

I doubt they'd intentionally time the two together, but maybe. This year the summer sale pricing was lukewarm - just 20% instead of usual 30%. Perhaps they will have an introductory 20% for new users? - if they tie it up with Black Friday?

We do B.Frid/week/holiday week/month sales nonsense around the globe now. It's just it's own thing to EU/UK, unrelated to Thanksgiving in that direct sense.

And now we have added Paul Newman the salad sauce dressing, acting and occasional racing car enthusiast into the conversation. Saucy V8!
- look for the clues.. maybe they will actually release it in time for the Sundance festival?!!

Oh no a V8!  I don't want a gas guzzler but a nice turbo charged souped up machine that is lean to run.  LOL

See what I'm getting at if we go down the V8 road what happens when they reach a V12.

Ok folks let's get back to piano thematic.

Here some exercises to relax and to warm up hands before playing :

https://youtu.be/n3bnMv3ULes

That's what you get when install a V8 in a red Ford.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-11-2022 21:40)

Beto-Music wrote:

Ok folks let's get back to piano thematic.

https://youtu.be/n3bnMv3ULes

That's what you get when install a V8 in a red Ford.

Beto-Music,

Talking about self-designed etudes exercises to relax and to warm up hands before playing/recording the Contest entry with V8 (when it comes)

https://youtu.be/SOs78RncP5g

And what I found when you were asking where are the Pierres??? - I found one French Pierre sitting in a Formula one Red bull 2019 

Best,

Stig

ah! more evendencies ;)
Phil Best hasn't posted on YT for a month: some might conjecture he is preparing some examples for v8

Beto-Music wrote:

one of my favorite movies.  i've always wondered whose hands those were ...

Beto-Music wrote:

Thanks.
You gave one more intetesting piece for these French Connection Tecnologic facts:

-The first sound recording, by french inventor Édouard-Léon Scott.
-The first V8 engine, Leon levavaseur, France.
-The first modelled digital piano, France again by Philippe Guillaume.

But there is still a french missing link, a huge mystery around : Where are the Pierres?????
I see no Pierre in this list of inventions, and not a single Pierre name in the whole Modartt team all these years.

Beto-Music wrote:

This is off topic but,

Best,

Stig

Vive la France!

Antonio M wrote:

ah! more evendencies
Phil Best hasn't posted on YT for a month: some might conjecture he is preparing some examples for v8

I love to hope... However Phil shared with me that he has been busy with personal-life matters. It is still possible that he is also testing PTQ v8 (he did not share anything with me one way or the other about that) however I think that the things that he shared with me are more than sufficient to justify the YT silence.

I doubt that others in the room can hear you playing, when wearing open headphones. All others could possibly hear, is a very quiet sound, when it is very quiet in the room and the other person has good ears and makes some effort to hear something.
This, at least, is my experience with Senheiser HD 650 (a very well known HQ headphone).

From another thread (from Opus32, about aggravating tinnitus, apparently after long sessions with loud headphone volume), it became clear to me, that playing on a loud volume is not good anyway.

I'm very happy with this open approach. Since I can hear all the sounds in the room (albeit a bit quieter), I don't have the feeling of wearing headphones and 'being locked away'.

Thus, no reason to not go for an open version.

I think, it is time to rename this thread, since (well, you guess it)

[edit] some typo, which I hate!

Last edited by Viridis (05-11-2022 20:08)
Have a nice day & happy playin'

Yamaha CP33 -- Scarlett 2i2 -- Yamaha HS7 / Sennheiser HD650 -- PTQ 7 Std [Linux/OSX] -- Some instruments

Also switched from closed open. Not only do I like the overall sound stage better (more transparency, wider soundstage, but a bit less bassy).

They also have two very significant benefits for me:
First, they do not really leak much sound (if you're hearing at moderate levels), but they do allow sound to come in almost without reduction. This is very useful if you want to keep the "situational awareness", e.g. when other people are adressing you.
Second, they somehow play much better with my tinnitus. Don't know excactly why, but with closed cans the tinnitus aggravates and with open backs it's like wearning no headphones at all.

Personally I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, which I can highly recommend for the price point. It's also the most comfortable set to wear that I know of.

Viridis wrote:

I think, it is time to rename this thread, since (well, you guess it)

Patience. At least wait until it is released!

BarbaraRB wrote:

Vive la France!

Says it all.   I just wish I lived there.  It's magical!  Like my Citroen.

Don't dream too much... France also has many defects and the same rate of idiots as in the rest of the world...
But indeed we have good wines, good cheeses and especially the best piano VST in the world...

YvesTh wrote:

Don't dream too much... France also has many defects and the same rate of idiots as in the rest of the world...
But indeed we have good wines, good cheeses and especially the best piano VST in the world...

California red's pretty darned good, y'know . . . .Barefoot Merlot or Shiraz.with a bit o' Leicester cheese and I'm anybodys . . . .

peterws wrote:
YvesTh wrote:

California red's pretty darned good, y'know . . . .Barefoot Merlot or Shiraz.with a bit o' Leicester cheese and I'm anybodys . . . .

I'm sure there are very good wines and cheeses elsewhere, I have never tasted californian wines but I'd like to...
But for piano VST it is more difficult to find as good as Pianoteq I think...
Vive pianoteq et la V8... soon I hope...

Beto-Music wrote:

For those who were looking for Pierre I suggest you the great Pierre Boulez... born near my home and having studied in the same college as me... Loved or hated he was an essential musician of the twentieth century...

I think Brazil now it's the worldwide capital of idiots.

-We have fanatics on street asking the militaries for a coup d'etat.

-They song brazilian anthem to a huge tractor tire in the middle of street.

-They used brazilian flag as Superman's cape while singing national anthem and making nazi salute.

-They celebrated "the news" about the death of an educator who was already dead since 25 years ago.

-One fanatic who wad blocking road street tried to stop a truck alone, staying there while the truck speed up.

And I can't forget the idiots, during the worse time of pandemic, who was frenetic attacking vacines and demandig chloroquine, even after dozen studies had proof of chloroquine be useless.

Sorry... France can't beat Brazil.

YvesTh wrote:

Last edited by Beto-Music (07-11-2022 20:52)

Beto-Music wrote:

And I can't forget the idiots, during the worse time of pandemic, who was frenetic attacking vacines and demandig chloroquine, even after dozen studies had proof of chloroquine be useless.

No matter how good the modelling in Pianoteq 8 is going to be, it still wont please everyone. It's the same for medicines. No matter how 'good' a medicine is, or how 'good' the science is, it still wont suit everyone, and statistics can never speak for an individual case. And it's the individual who matters.
(Note, 'good' is in quotes for a reason here too)

As long as Pianoteq keeps progressing the software in the majority view is what we want as users. You never can please everyone. 

Anyway should we have a guessing game on when Pianoteq version 8 might  be released?

instred wrote:

As long as Pianoteq keeps progressing the software in the majority view is what we want as users. You never can please everyone. 

Anyway should we have a guessing game on when Pianoteq version 8 might  be released?

Well if we don't get a Pianoteq 7.8 instead then I'm guessing 8.0 will be released in time for the Pianoteq video competition. Maybe see a new piano model or two too?

I'm guessing sometime between now and march 2023.
That's just some highly uneducated guesswork based on the assumptions that they accidentally nearly released an update or new version before it was actually ready, but had to go back to the drawing board.

Or they looked at the state of the world economy and decided to hold back, and continue some development?

But Black Friday is coming. - does that help or hinder new launch sales?

Last edited by Key Fumbler (14-11-2022 17:24)

Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

Well if we don't get a Pianoteq 7.8 instead then I'm guessing 8.0 will be released in time for the Pianoteq video competition. Maybe see a new piano model or two too?

That's just some highly uneducated guesswork based on the assumptions that they accidentally nearly released an update or new version before it was actually ready, but had to go back to the drawing board.

Video Contest entries started last year 7.10 -21. Yet this year's Contest has not been announced. Therefore I think v. 8 will come before Christmas. They must have some connection I guess. Because the contest is yearly before Christmas. Maybe one day v. 8 and next day the Contest, guess based on that yearly Contest is not announced…..

Best,

Stig

Key Fumbler wrote:
instred wrote:

Video Contest entries started last year 7.10 -21. Yet this year's Contest has not been announced. Therefore I think v. 8 will come before Christmas. They must have some connection I guess. Because the contest is yearly before Christmas. Maybe one day v. 8 and next day the Contest, guess based on that yearly Contest is not announced…..

Best,

Stig

I hope you're right! I'm looking forward to the Video Contest as much as the update/new version/whatever.

dv wrote:
Antonio M wrote:

ah! more evendencies

[...]

ah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izp8p5u1QOk

Best video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuK8fbjMIU

I loooove Woody’s vids.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2