Re: Pianoteq 6.5.0

Philippe, please allow me to say this :

You deserve more from yourselves.

:-)

I mean that you Modartt team do a great job refining the technology that it worth be presented a little bit better.
Petrof, Steingraeber, Grotian, and others also are important and a updated demos can awake interest from more people.

Sure I know you are always very busy creating new features and better algorithms, but maybe Guillaume Joly could just have the MIDI files for each music, and just render it again as new MP3 files, after each update, each new version.

Maybe also a comparison in the website, about the the 6.5 new attacks compared to 6.4, could be a good publicity for pianoteq.
I feel there are people who are almost a step to buy pianoteq, and a improvement like that would be the "game changer" to their decision.

Said that, cheers for the 6.5 version.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I'm wondering how often Modartt updates the mp3 files from audio demos in pianoteq website.
If the emulated piano sound now have quite richer attacks the mp3 files for all pianos should be updated.

Steinway D and C. Bechstein DG demos have been updated (as well as usually all demos related to a piano that has been marked revoiced in the change log).

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-05-2019 04:00)

I would like to send a big compliment to Pianoteq 6.5.0. Especially Steinway D has become really great. Clear, open, wood and metal well balanced. The subterranean synthetic sound is largely gone. I congratulate and thank the team.

Pianoteq 7 Pro with all pianos

I also detect improvements, and now when I play the Steinways and my newly acquired C. Bechstein, I am immersed in the music. Unlike the legendary Starbucks cup that appeared in Game of Thrones, there is nothing synthetic that detracts from the verisimilitude of the piano experience.

Somewhere in the past year, the electric pianos got better too, and these are in my jamming rotation now.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

You want immersive?  Have some of this immersive right here:

Pianoteq v6.5.0 Audio Example

It's from one of Phil Best's called The Places We Knew taken from the examples now which highlight Pianoteq v6.5.0 changes on its Steinway D webpage.

I'll er Phil will give  —you immersed!

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

It's from one of Phil Best's called The Places We Knew taken from the examples now which highlight Pianoteq v6.5.0 changes on its Steinway D webpage.

Quite wonderful indeed. Still, I prefer the RikkeSteinway demo by P. De Ridder. Simply exquisite.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Honestly, I see no comparison, Fleer!

I will say, however, I've very much enjoyed Mr. Piet De Ridder's Kites:

https://www.pianoteq.com/audio//bechste...Ridder.mp3

It just seems to remind me of the days I spent as a youth on my great-granddad's farm, when it was outside the city of Perris in Riverside County, California.  Visually it was hardly any different from that "farm scene" of the Kansas home that was depicted still earth bound within the movie The Wizard of Oz.

My cousin from San Diego, California would come and see if he could beat me with marksmanship with our rifles by our sides.  Let me tell you, our initial meeting was surreal, with military like precision  —or something typical of a western shootout.

You see; my great-granddad was from another era!

Let me say, thank you, to Mr. Piet De Ridder.  I'm really enjoying your music.

And let me just clarify, I am a non-violent vegetarian.

Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Very nice. A specialized wet sound for a specific piece or score, yes, but stilll very nice. Do we know what the customizations are?

I am not totally sure because I don't have the previous version to compare side by side, but I think the Grotrian has been greatly improved by the new attack setting with this new 6.5 version.
Any thought about other users?
It was my less played model and now I find it really superb.

Hi,
I don't know if it's due to this new release, but I am experiencing some problems with my scarlett 2i2 1st gen on my Macbook. It literally works flawlessly for everything else except Pianoteq, which crashes as soon as I select the interface. I've been playing around with buffer size and sample rate with no results.
What can I do? Thanks

Last edited by Lorenzo (22-05-2019 22:48)

Yes, I have always used the Steinway B, but now the Grotrian Concert Royal is sounding great.

stamkorg wrote:

I am not totally sure because I don't have the previous version to compare side by side, but I think the Grotrian has been greatly improved by the new attack setting with this new 6.5 version.
Any thought about other users?
It was my less played model and now I find it really superb.

Always really loved the Grotrian, those tones in the tail, very charming bloom. If I was starting on the Pianoteq road again, with just a few of the latest pianos, the Grotrian feels like a great 'next' piano.

All the modern grand pianos seem to get a fantastic lift from this update (haven't taken time to play the others yet).

Yesterday my ears were on the K2 but also spent some time with the Grand YC5, which feels much more natural and detailed too - I think fans of these will be smiling.

Seems like so many aspects of playability is improved, one thing dovetailing to benefit the next, like improvement to sympathetic resonance relating to sustain pedal sounding that much more true - so magic to play.

@Lorenzo, always worth trying these 2 things:

While online, and in standalone mode, choose help/about 'update license' and

in your DAW's settings, look for something like "re-scan plugins".

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Jake Johnson wrote:
Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Very nice. A specialized wet sound for a specific piece or score, yes, but stilll very nice. Do we know what the customizations are?

You know as well as I, since cutomized can mean anything from a single incremental tweak to broad sweeping changes to a whole bunch of parameters, people at MODARTT are maybe unabashedly entranced by the idea of some end users attempting to figure out many parameter changes for themselves!

Anyway I’m still visualizing the real scarecrow that was on the farm of my childhood.  I probably had to have been a wide eyed kid nearly enchanted by it.

Because of Piet De Ridder’s demo entry I feel I am very much reminded of it  —how mysterious it appeared to me.

Possibly, Piet was referencing from his own childhood as well  —via an apparent interplay from a familiar theme recognized by the baby boomers who quietly sat and watched Captain Kangaroo early mornings: https://youtu.be/tSW-LJJHH3U.

You know, Jake, the statement “A child exists in everyone.” is indeed true.

I've played around on a few instruments with 6.5.0.
am enjoying many of them, including
really nice sounds with Steinway D and Steingraeber.

chasmanian wrote:

+1
Those are the absolute beauties in my book.
Edit: and the new Bechstein!

Last edited by Fleer (24-05-2019 00:19)

Qexl wrote:

Always really loved the Grotrian, those tones in the tail, very charming bloom. If I was starting on the Pianoteq road again, with just a few of the latest pianos, the Grotrian feels like a great 'next' piano.

All the modern grand pianos seem to get a fantastic lift from this update (haven't taken time to play the others yet).

Yesterday my ears were on the K2 but also spent some time with the Grand YC5, which feels much more natural and detailed too - I think fans of these will be smiling.

Seems like so many aspects of playability is improved, one thing dovetailing to benefit the next, like improvement to sympathetic resonance relating to sustain pedal sounding that much more true - so magic to play.

+1
I love K2. Is my favorite.

Respeito, Esforço e Sabedoria

Fleer wrote:
chasmanian wrote:

+1
Those are the absolute beauties in my book.
Edit: and the new Bechstein!

thank you Fleer.
so many Steins, so little.............lol
I think I'll try putting all 3 together in Reaper, and
have a Stein-fest.
yeah, thats the ticket.
a Stein-festivus for the rest of us.
I think Jerry "Stein"-feld may get a kick out of it.
I might even throw in my Chocolate Audio Steinbach,
like for dessert, perhaps?   

as for 6.5.0, I still have a few more instruments to check out.
but, yeah, I also love the new Bechstein.

Qexl wrote:

Hey, thanks for the input. The update license button worked yesterday, but now I'm having the same problem again... It's weird

In my experience Pianoteq may be the best behaved software I have encountered over many decades Lorenzo - your issue likely resides with something in your kit.

Search function can find many Pianoteq threads about plugin issues, try that option first.

But, if none of those surface info to help with your situation (optimistic they will), I'd suggest uninstall and reinstall - and next to contact Pianoteq support with some detail.  Detail is key and they are extremely helpful. If you have a rare hardware/software issue, it might be a bug and help the next update etc.

If you'd like the forum community to help trouble-shoot, maybe begin a new thread.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

I just demo'd the U4 in the new update, and oh my god, the spongy attack in the bass notes that plagued this model for years is finally GONE!
One step closer to a Klavins VCG model that does the original justice!

It seems the theme for Pianoteq 6 is consistent, noticeable improvements for every update, and if that trend continues, the last update for v6 will sound
almost unrecognizable from 6.0!

Anybody else find the windows recall feature a welcomed relief?

And, the main window does have a new look!

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Ha, I've been so immersed in the glorious new Pianoteq sound-world that I completely missed that new feature - will have to check it out!

Now Pianoteq will give you immersed!

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Yes, it's a great feature. Allows us to keep everything that we need open and ready to edit.

Jake Johnson wrote:
Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Yes, it's a great feature. Allows us to keep everything that we need open and ready to edit.

Useful indeed. And version 6.5.1 corrects the bug with restoring the Note Edit window in 6.5.0. Also works as toggle to hide windows...

I don't see any new look in the main window though. What is it?

One small bug: In the french version the text for the keyboard save and restore shortcut is in english while everything else is in french.

ADDED: To be consistent, this facility should also be present in the Window top menu of the standalone version.

Last edited by Gilles (26-05-2019 16:27)

Area around transport, metronome and tempo controls, as well as MIDI event locator, readout and file name (the latter two (2) of which appear in white typeface) is a black background:

https://thumbnails-photos.amazon.com/v1/thumbnail/kUQRqfe0SfSqS_uK6yTxBQ?viewBox=592%2C585&ownerId=A1O2RVMX3MF8C8&groupShareToken=h8QNeS_zRqSc4BPvDgCWKw.YKgtlZYj7O4ZKNpJ0_BwMw

In versions released before Pianoteq 6.5.0, it is a white background with black typeface.

Although, no mention of this change is in the changelog .

Oh right! I didn't notice and didn't keep previous versions...

Also on my Pianoteq 6 Pro edition, the virtually all caps "PIANOTEQ 6 PRO" headline text adjacent the Pianoteq logo has been reformatted from one (1) line into two (2).

The small changes to the interface look certainly do make for one now that is aesthetically elegant, refined, functional, and serious looking within my view.  I see it now represents state-of-the-art beauty and functional art all at once!

Now, if I can just get developers to agree with me about a need for looped (both MIDI section and playlist) playback, I'll easily make necessary adjustments to piano tones while having any playback portion repeated only as a cluster of MIDI events looped until I should get it to sound just right, until I get it right  —even while I'm getting it right!

I feel such kinds of adjustments will someday happen smoothly, as though I were ironing a badly wrinkled shirt on a modern home steam press, instead of some flimsy narrow ironing board.  On the like of which you again and again reposition your dress shirt, while trying ironing over and over rather laboriously because of board construct to smooth out persistent wrinkles.

Yep, I see it; I see a change is gonna come!

But, maybe I need to reserve this kind of thread entry for another, a possible future one of its own thread.

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (31-05-2019 13:21)

This release so far has really made me not want to purchase a real acoustic 7' 4" anymore, they really nailed the low end grunt of the concert pianos and sound way more "Full" to my ears. I'm not messing around with voicing the Piano I was going to buy!

A question I would like to make to you all you folks.

Have you tested the Bechstein in the 6.5 version?
Not the modern C.Bechstein DG, not the Kremsegg 1899 Bechstein, but the old 1896 Bechstein that today it's only available in the legacy collection of pianoteq. 

https://www.pianoteq.com/legacy

Have you tested it?
What do you think of 1896 Bechstein now?
Had you played it in earlier pianoteq versions?

Last edited by Beto-Music (26-05-2019 14:04)

Hmmmm, Beto-music...

Very metallic midrange, with buzzy-bass, but a sweet upper end that is better than the lower two-thirds of the keyboard, which is almost harpsichord-like.  And even when switched from Stereophonic to a player-microphone arrangement, the whole instrument still sounds as if it is playing out of a barrel (despite my turning off the reverb).

I have played it once in a while, but never loved it, and didn't keep a pre-6.5 version going so I can't make a direct comparison. 

The 1899 Bechstein, on the other hand, is quite lovely from top to bottom, especially in the Under Lid, which may be the closest stock preset to a Player preset.  It sounds a bit 'plastic/synthetic', though, in the midrange, but that's mainly in comparison to the C. Bechstein D.G.  The latter, in my opinion, is the best current instrument, and is the most realistic in the Player mode.  With appropriate speaker volume settings and key velocities, it's absolutely the closest thing to a real acoustic in its audio properties.  So nice!

- David

It's a pity that the 1896 Bechstein was not updated to later versions, it would have made for an interesting comparison with the 1899. Does anybody know why it was abandoned?

Well, it was left alone, not really abandoned, because it was not possible to do a good update. SOmething about how the real model (old grand Bechstein tunned to be a rock piano) wasn't or could not be very well very analyzed as the other models for the creation of the digital version. This, according Modartt, if I remamber well, made difficult or not possible to update the add-on, so they left it alone and excluded from the piano list  when the updated versions of other piano models sounded much more natural than such Bechstein.

I didn't kept 6.4 version, and now can't compare the Bechstein 1896 in 6.4 to 6.5.
I wonder if there is some difference...

Can someone, with 6.4 and 6.5 versions installed, make a test for Bechstein 1896?

dazric wrote:

It's a pity that the 1896 Bechstein was not updated to later versions, it would have made for an interesting comparison with the 1899. Does anybody know why it was abandoned?

Well, as it happens, you're in luck, Beto-Music! At the moment I still have 6.4 installed on my 2nd computer, so if you'd like to pick a favourite midi file I'll render it in 6.4 with the 1896 Bechstein.

Or download the earlier version:
https://www.pianoteq.com/download?file=...p_v641.dmg

Just copy the download link, and change 651 into 641 (or what other version you want to have).
At least in Linux, you can have multiple instances of Pianoteq installed.

Last edited by Viridis (27-05-2019 19:30)
Have a nice day & happy playin'

Yamaha CP33 -- Scarlett 2i2 -- Yamaha HS7 / Sennheiser HD650 -- PTQ 7 Std [Linux/OSX] -- Some instruments

So I can finally enjoy the rich sound of 6.5(.1).
After installing I did notice some Improvements,
But while I saw comments about the improvements of the modell D, to me the modell D sounded metallic, thin, harsh...
To be honest, I think it already was since a version prior to 6.4.
Because a lot of the forum members here have more experience with acoustic pianos than I do, I thought is was in my mind and I just had to get used to the sound. Other Pianos where more convincing, but my favorite, Steingreaber prelude, also didn't convince me anymore... I had no clue what was wrong until I accidentally found out that my mic positions where the same with all presets. Also, moving mics around didn't cause any changes in sound. So I decided to remove the two Modartt folders (Linux) and activated the license again. I restored my midi settings and locked parameters and voilla... My ears were blown away by the beautiful Pianoteq sound again!

Just posting this in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

I did also noticed that the performance has been improved in 6.5.1. I wasn't able to play the modell D Jazz anymore on my Odroid Xu4, I guess because it uses 4 mics. I quickly encountered cpu overloads.
Now, this has all been resolved and everything seems to be fine.
Only thing that's still not working is the "Auto(optimistic)" polyphony setting. Auto will not even give me 32 note polyphony while I can easily get 64 notes if I manually select it.

But again, thanks for the quick 6.5.1 update and all improvements to the piano sounds. Really good job guys.

Last edited by MrRoland (27-05-2019 22:03)

Just acquired (d/l or u/l?) this latest 6.51.  All seem to have improved.  Some of the "home" settings seem exquisite, really do.  But Bluthner seems as always, the best of the best.  So playable. I'm totally stumped for a second choice.  I'll never get any work done at this rate . . .

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

peterws wrote:

Just acquired (d/l or u/l?) this latest 6.51.  All seem to have improved.  Some of the "home" settings seem exquisite, really do.  But Bluthner seems as always, the best of the best.  So playable. I'm totally stumped for a second choice.  I'll never get any work done at this rate . . .

Yeah, that Blüthner sure is something special.

Not sure I understand this FULLY !

It seems to imply that pianoteq (at least in some cases) doesn't model physical pianos, but instead imitates sampled sound libraries.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads....844/2.html

Scroll down to an entry by member C

"Hm, I just noticed in another thread the “Bechstein Digital Grand” sample based VST made by Bechstein themselves. I thought that particular DG reference was a fancy name invented by Pianoteq but a second read of their description actually confirms they modeled their sound after the samples of an actual piano and not after an actual piano. Which actually confirms once again a previous statement some of us have made: Pianoteq synthesizes the sound in a way that recreates a pre-recorded sound. Whether they can also model the physical object which we call “piano” rather than approaching recorded waves is a matter of dispute. Or maybe they support both? Even simultaneously? But since Bechstein DG is to my ears the least synthetic Pianoteq model so far (although I can still detect some hints of it), I’m wondering if it’s the way Pianoteq should utilize most in future."

I "bought into" pianoteq in the belief that it was 100% "modeled",
i.e. mathematically derived from the physics of how stretched strings vibrate and pass their vibrations on to wood, how the sound board wood selectively filters some frequencies, as does the cabinet, etc.
I later discovered that some of the incidental noises are basically samples, which is probably OK although the builders of wooden pianos would probably eliminate those entirely if only they could find "perfect" sound deadening felt.

So I'm wondering how much "better" modeling can be than sampling - - if it is a model of a sample library ?!?
Does it "improve on" the sample library ?, or are there losses ?

Pianoteq does utilize the physical model indeed. But that model is tweaked via many, many parameters (which we don't see on the interface) in order to get close to a reference, which is obviously going to be a recording of some kind.

For Ant. Petrof, they used samples recorded in an anechoic chamber, which gave the cleanest possible reference of that particular piano.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Pianoteq does utilize the physical model indeed. But that model is tweaked via many, many parameters (which we don't see on the interface) in order to get close to a reference, which is obviously going to be a recording of some kind.

For Ant. Petrof, they used samples recorded in an anechoic chamber, which gave the cleanest possible reference of that particular piano.

For all sorts of practical reasons, yes a recording (of some kind) would have to be used (at some point), at least to calibrate the model.

One of the objections to sample libraries has been that they include all the artifacts and limitations of the recording/reproduction process.
I guess those are constants that both camps are simply stuck with...

OK, I can live with that<grin>  - PTQ still has smaller footprint and other advantages.

All this technical stuff is sure interesting to me but as long as I am loving Pianoteq than I don’t care how they do it. But I do learn a lot about things I never thought of before.... so all good.

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

aandrmusic wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

For all sorts of practical reasons, yes a recording (of some kind) would have to be used (at some point), at least to calibrate the model.

One of the objections to sample libraries has been that they include all the artifacts and limitations of the recording/reproduction process.

As you say, samples are indeed needed to calibrate the model, they serve as reference. But of course recording artifacts such as background noise or embedded reverberation don't go through to Pianoteq.

Just a note to say "Thanks!" Pianoteq Pro is by far the best purchase I ever made. I'm eagerly awaiting Organteq, and I'd buy pretty much everything from Moddart sight unseen - keep modeling!!

Which leads me to a question - I'd like to buy all of the sound packs, however I see no 'upgrade' path from pro - is there one? I would prefer to save a bit of money if possible while still supporting them, so does Moddart ever run any specials on all sound upgrades?

Last edited by PSongs (05-06-2019 22:19)

PSongs wrote:

Just a note to say "Thanks!" Pianoteq Pro is by far the best purchase I ever made. I'm eagerly awaiting Organteq, and I'd buy pretty much everything from Moddart sight unseen - keep modeling!!

Which leads me to a question - I'd like to buy all of the sound packs, however I see no 'upgrade' path from pro - is there one? I would prefer to save a bit of money if possible while still supporting them, so does Moddart ever run any specials on all sound upgrades?

The only "everything" bundle I know of is the Pro Studio - the list price of that is approx twice the price of Pro (which already includes 4 instrument packs).

Historically ...There have been Black Friday sales - in some years an early summer sale (close to now).
As they say in investing past performance is not necessarily and indicator of future performance (something like that).
On the other hand, once a company starts a tradition of discounts at particular times of year their customers tend to wait for it - so there is pent up demand just WAITING and watching the calendar.

I think some decent discount for "everything I don't already have" would be nice.

Last edited by aandrmusic (05-06-2019 23:52)

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
aandrmusic wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

As you say, samples are indeed needed to calibrate the model, they serve as reference. But of course recording artifacts such as background noise or embedded reverberation don't go through to Pianoteq.

I'd guess you basically "subtract" the sound of the model from the recording - if what remains sounds like something significant figure it out, repeat until only noise and recording artifacts remain.

Yep, I could set up a lab to do that <grin>

Viridis wrote:

The biggest show stopper is the increased delay.
I installed the standard edition of 5.5.0 (trial), and there, I don't notice the delay. Even with 10.7 ms latency, the delay is acceptable.
With stage (purchased) the delay is noticeable at 2.7 ms latency and unbearable at 10.7 ms latency.
How comes that there's a noticeable difference in delay between stage and standard?

With respect to the changed instrument sound, I think you (Qexl and Amen Ptah Ra) are right: I have to get used to it and maybe change a few settings. (b.t.w. on the recordings, I was not playing myself (I wish I could). It was a midi-file).

I also notice some sort of latency? is this by design?

I hardly view latency intended by design.

Change history:

• Improved performance on the ARM platform -- cpu requirements of version 6.5.1 are still higher than version 6.4.1, but they are lower than 6.5.0.