Re: Pianoteq 5 impressions

+1 !!!

stephenphillips wrote:

It's kind of funny. When we hear the instruments Liszt and Chopin had to work with (never mind Beethoven) it is hard to grasp how they were so 'turned on' by that sound to conceive the undeniably powerful masterworks bequeathed to us. I think we are all too easily guilty of seeing things through a very narrow lens.

This states the situation very clearly, at least when applied to Chopin and the new (actually, almost a century older) Pleyel we suddenly have to hear his pieces by. Without the smallest hint what way Steinways would in future tilt received standards of timbre, and he writing for this instrument with its woodframe-sounding mids and bass notes versus the plink-y trebles above, forecasting anything like what we have always heard would have come as a completely foreign shocker to him, and maybe even an unacceptable one.

I have the same reaction to most of the early pianos, I find most of them almost unlistenable.  I also thought, 'how were some of these delicate and beautiful early pieces written on such coarse sounding (to my modern ears) instruments'?

It's a sharp reminder of how much things have changed, and how much more refinement was achieved by piano makers over time.  And how you work with what you have, and how a great artist can use anything to express themselves. Quite incredible really.  That's also why some of us give PT such a hard time - piano is such a complex instrument.

I'm sure if I spent much more time with the older pianos, I could gradually warm to them.  But right now I find them grating and empty-sounding.  Spoilt by progress : ).

Last edited by ReBased (31-05-2014 15:13)

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

... - reducing the Direct sound duration.

I recommend that joshuasethcomposer.  I makes the initial attack less prominent and gives you more of the decaying strings, rather than making the decay longer as higher soundboard impedance does.  It should get you there.

I do love a ringing piano, real ones sometimes do behave like that (though maybe it's the cheaper less controlled ones?).  But yeah that can get muddy, you need to find your sweet spot.

Last edited by ReBased (01-06-2014 00:07)

ReBased wrote:

I have the same reaction to most of the early pianos, I find most of them almost unlistenable.  I also thought, 'how were some of these delicate and beautiful early pieces written on such coarse sounding (to my modern ears) instruments'?

It's a sharp reminder of how much things have changed, and how much more refinement was achieved by piano makers over time.  And how you work with what you have, and how a great artist can use anything to express themselves. Quite incredible really.  That's also why some of us give PT such a hard time - piano is such a complex instrument.

I'm sure if I spent much more time with the older pianos, I could gradually warm to them.  But right now I find them grating and empty-sounding.  Spoilt by progress : ).

ReBased, did you listen to the Kremsegg demos? For example:
J. Brahms Sonata No. 3 played on the Streicher, page https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg1
F. Mendelssohn Rondo played on the Bechstein, page https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg2
Don't you find them exquisite? I know of course all this is a matter of taste...

Note that not everybody agrees on the progress. I heard people saying that with the modern pianos we have lost a great variety of sounds that existed in the XVIIIth Century, because of the many piano manufacturers who were building pianos, each one with his particular receipt.

ReBased, did you listen to the Kremsegg demos? For example:
J. Brahms Sonata No. 3 played on the Streicher, page https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg1
F. Mendelssohn Rondo played on the Bechstein, page https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg2
Don't you find them exquisite? I know of course all this is a matter of taste...

Thanks for the links Philippe.  I did originally try the Kremsegg demos in PT5, and didn't enjoy most of the sounds for my style of playing.  I'm not really into classical music (unless some film scores count ), so that doesn't help.  I like pop/rock/jazz pianos mainly.  Saying that, listening to the top 4 Kremsegg1 demos put them into the correct context.  IMO:

- the Streicher is actually quite nice, great sparkle.  Every time I listen to it, I like it a little more.  But some of the lower notes sound a little metallic and 'dead' to me at certain velocities.

- the Erard also does sound very nice on this piece, closest to modern pianos imo.

- the Besendorfer sounds nice in some velocities, but in others it sounds harsh and toy-ish to me.

- I don't like the harsh metalicness of the Donal at all.  Without knowing the history, it sounds like a refinement of the Harpsichord?  I never liked that either .  I can see that if you like classical, it opens up that world for you.  Me, I'm a modernist.

Listening to them, I can see how piano makers took the best parts of each, and gradually evolved modern pianos around them.  I can understand that some miss the different sounds that were available - but to me, the best parts won, and the less successful ones (in my eyes) were abandoned.  I'm fine with modern pianos .

Saying that, and this is true of PT in general, the performance and correct velocity curve are everything.  A beautiful performance you can emotionally relate to will always shine through.

Last edited by ReBased (31-05-2014 18:01)

Listening to the tracks you suggested:

- Streicher: J. Brahms - Sonata No. 3 in F Minor Op. 5.  Yep, beautiful.  Much better than the top demo.

- Bechstein: F. Mendelssohn - Rondo Op. 14.  Also very nice.  Interesting how dark it gets at the lower velocities, yet it still sparkles at higher velocities.  What causes that in the piano design Philippe?

Last edited by ReBased (31-05-2014 17:59)

Philippe, is that possible to create a hybridization to try to add to modern pianos some characteristics from vintage models, the lost variety of sounds you refered?

Is that possible to you combine the best of both worlds?

Last edited by Beto-Music (31-05-2014 18:23)

ReBased wrote:

- I don't like the harsh metalicness of the Donal at all.  Without knowing the history, it sounds like a refinement of the Harpsichord?  I never liked that either .  I can see that if you like classical, it opens up that world for you.  Me, I'm a modernist.

The Dohnal is indeed the earliest piano among the 4 pianos from Kremsegg 1, so its sound is the most "distant" from the contemporary standard. It takes a certain time to get accustomed to this kind of sound, but once you are, it can be very pleasant and refreshing. Of course, it cannot be used in such a broad variety of music as contemporary pianos do. This might be the principal contribution of modern pianos: you can play every music on it, from Bach to Debussy (just to take two extremes in the sound palette). This is obviously not true for the Dohnal.

ReBased wrote:

Listening to the tracks you suggested:

- Streicher: J. Brahms - Sonata No. 3 in F Minor Op. 5.  Yep, beautiful.  Much better than the top demo.

- Bechstein: F. Mendelssohn - Rondo Op. 14.  Also very nice.  Interesting how dark it gets at the lower velocities, yet it still sparkles at higher velocities.  What causes that in the piano design Philippe?

I don't know exactly, there are so many parameters that it is difficult to determine why a particular combination is so successful. I've been told by the Kremsegg museum curator that a head of the current Bechstein factory, while visiting the museum and listening to this marvelous Bechstein from 1899, was truly amazed by the sound and wondered how does it come that it sounded so beautiful! (that's just the idea, I don't remember the exact words). And I remember very well the feeling I had after playing a few notes on it: a sensation of pure magic.

Beto-Music wrote:

Philippe, is that possible to create a hybridization to try to add to modern pianos some characteristics from vintage models, the lost variety of sounds you refered?

Is that possible to you combine the best of both worlds?

I guess it might be possible, but not easy. The difficulty is not specifically in mixing the characteristics from a physical/mathematical point of view. As long as equations are involved, it's OK, we all know how to compute (a+b)/2  and more complicate things. The difficulty starts when aesthetic chimes in. What would be the interest of an hybridization if it does not sound nice? The problem is that I have nothing to measure the beauty of a sound!

Y'all made me break out the mics.

Thank you Joshua for this excellent visual which clearly demonstrates that the double decay is closer to the real thing in version 5 than in version 3, which is precisely a point on which we have been working hard.

Of course one cannot discuss your taste, and I perfectly admit that you prefer the decay of version 3. But then, as you have mentioned, you have several tools that you can mix in various ways:
- increasing the Impedance
- augmenting the Cutoff
- reducing the Q factor
- reducing the Direct sound duration.

Sorry, PT3 is closer to the real thing. At least my real thing. lol And I refuse to believe a 100-yr old baby grand Chickering has stronger sustain than a Steinway Concert D.

(Real thing on top, then PT3, then PT5.)

http://s29.postimg.org/c3q6tvrfb/PT5_vs_PT3_vs_real.jpg

I'm very much in favour of the sort of documentation as provided in this case by Joshua's waveform examples. This evidence can be highly instructive, if interpreted with due consideration to all pertinent factors. As things stand we are not privy to all possible pertinent variables.

So, with this hard documentation as a great start, the following questions have occurred to me, as I attempt to understand these comparative illustrations:

[first, I assume from the Joshua's comments that 'his real thing', the actual acoustic piano decay recorded, is a 100-year old Chickering baby grand]

1) I assume that the environment in which the piano is located will have imprinted itself upon the resultant waveform i.e., we are not looking at the 'raw' output of the piano in isolation (which would require an anechoic chamber – with a good stout floor membrane...)

2) I assume that the Pianoteq models are 'running' consistent virtual environments as part of a meaningful comparison i.e., if a room mode or reverberation enhancement is applied to the piano engine output, this is at least loosely the same in character for the illustrated waveform examples. This would make comparison meaningful (and fair), at least for the Pianoteq 3/5 simulations.

3) In that case, we have the following consideration: To what extent does (can) the applied virtual acoustic be fairly compared to that of the Chickering's native environment? And, if the Pianoteq examples are indeed 'raw' piano engine-only, what are we to make of the comparison with the real thing, again reasonably assuming the unavoidable presence of live ambience/reverberation.

4) The convolution effect of a real acoustic upon the real piano would be generally similar to that of an electronic equivalent upon the modeled piano, in that it will colour the original significantly, though not beyond the point of recognition. That is to say, the general characteristics of the piano waveform will 'survive' the reverberation. So we can still learn 'something' even in the case of a possible slightly apples/oranges testing comparison.

These questions can of course be answered to a great degree by Joshua himself, and I would be very glad to learn more details of the recording process.

5) This whole exercise leads me to ponder what might result from a comparison of a new, mint Steinway D (or similar) and the Pianoteq 5 D4, set up and recorded in similar real/virtual environments.

Another poster, njaremko, has offered this observation:

"The decay of the D4 behaves and lasts exactly the same as my Steinway sample libraries."

The conditions under which these sample libraries, themselves, have been created, is of course a natural and essential consideration, in turn.

So I remain eager to learn more on this whole issue. For my part, I have often (from v4) deliberately held down long notes, listening to the decay – not to critique it, but to marvel at its mysterious complexity (knowing it is a synthetic creation, albeit a very sophisticated one). Real pianos, no matter how diverse in all areas of tonal generation, of course sound 'real' simply because they are real. Too many of them would do better as toxic firewood than as musical instruments, sad to say (not something I am remotely recommending, in case I have aroused unintended offence by that wry remark)...

Cheers,

Stephen.

joshuasethcomposer wrote:

Y'all made me break out the mics.

Thank you Joshua for this excellent visual which clearly demonstrates that the double decay is closer to the real thing in version 5 than in version 3, which is precisely a point on which we have been working hard.

Of course one cannot discuss your taste, and I perfectly admit that you prefer the decay of version 3. But then, as you have mentioned, you have several tools that you can mix in various ways:
- increasing the Impedance
- augmenting the Cutoff
- reducing the Q factor
- reducing the Direct sound duration.

Sorry, PT3 is closer to the real thing. At least my real thing. lol And I refuse to believe a 100-yr old baby grand Chickering has stronger sustain than a Steinway Concert D.

(Real thing on top, then PT3, then PT5.)

http://s29.postimg.org/c3q6tvrfb/PT5_vs_PT3_vs_real.jpg

I can't help noticing that the shape of the wave form in V5 is more similar to the wave form of the real piano than is the wave form of the V3 recording: after the initial strike on the real piano, there are six peaks. V5 has four or five peaks, while V3 has only three or four distinct peaks. Not as complex in its evolution. Is the problem instead that V5 is not as loud at the same velocity, so the sustain dies faster?

Off topic, to some degree: neither version has a third peak (a second peak after the initial strike) that is as loud and as precisely defined as the real piano.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (01-06-2014 04:01)

New feature request.

Option to replace damaged mics and broken strings, buying new ones from the pianoteq store.

PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-06-2014 03:29)

Jake Johnson wrote:

I can't help noticing that the shape of the wave form in V5 is more similar to the wave form of the real piano than is the wave form of the V3 recording: after the initial strike on the real piano, there are six peaks. V5 has four or five peaks, while V3 has only three or four distinct peaks. Not as complex in its evolution. Is the problem instead that V5 is not as loud at the same velocity, so the sustain dies faster?

Off topic, to some degree: neither version has a third peak (a second peak after the initial strike) that is as loud and as precisely defined as the real piano.

Something tells me you didn't listen to the sound files I posted a few comments back. Each peak is a new chord (or repetition to be precise). NOW do you see how PT3 and the real thing have a stronger, more legato sustain than PT5?

Jake Johnson wrote:

Something tells me you didn't listen to the sound files I posted a few comments back. Each peak is a new chord (or repetition to be precise). NOW do you see how PT3 and the real thing have a stronger, more legato sustain than PT5?

Ah...Sorry. I still wonder how much amplitude and possibly the velocity scaling are the major differences. I do see that the initial decay stages, right after the attack, seem more abrupt in V5. On the other hand, note the final decay on the last chord in all three instances. The decay is as long as the decay in the other recordings. It is less loud, however.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Ah...Sorry. I still wonder how much amplitude and possibly the velocity scaling are the major differences. I do see that the initial decay stages, right after the attack, seem more abrupt in V5. On the other hand, note the final decay on the last chord in all three instances. The decay is as long as the decay in the other recordings. It is less loud, however.

@stephenphillips Good points. Reverb was "on" in both versions, and I didn't touch the settings.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I still wonder how much amplitude and possibly the velocity scaling are the major differences.

[scratches head] Same MIDI controller. Same velocity curves. Asking if amplitude is the difference is basically paraphrasing the issue. lol Amplitude after attack is attenuated in PT5 relative to both PT3 and the real thing, particularly when repeating notes while holding down the damper pedal.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I do see that the initial decay stages, right after the attack, seem more abrupt in V5. On the other hand, note the final decay on the last chord in all three instances. The decay is as long as the decay in the other recordings. It is less loud, however.

That's just a fraction of the decay. If I posted a pic of the full track it'd be several pages long. lol Plus most of it would look like a straight line (0 gain) even though all 3 were still sustaining. And "less loud" is exactly the point.

Let's keep in mind, the impetus for this was my ears. I was playing this piece I've been working on, and when I got to that very part (which is near the beginning) I immediately noticed that the bass note was virtually gone by the time I changed A-sus to A-9, so it didn't sound as rich. That's the type of anaemic response I expect from older digital pianos.

@stephenphillips Good points. Reverb was "on" in both versions, and I didn't touch the settings.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I still wonder how much amplitude and possibly the velocity scaling are the major differences.

[scratches head] Same MIDI controller. Same velocity curves. Asking if amplitude is the difference is basically paraphrasing the issue. lol Amplitude after attack is attenuated in PT5 relative to both PT3 and the real thing, particularly when repeating notes while holding down the damper pedal.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I do see that the initial decay stages, right after the attack, seem more abrupt in V5. On the other hand, note the final decay on the last chord in all three instances. The decay is as long as the decay in the other recordings. It is less loud, however.

That's just a fraction of the decay. If I posted a pic of the full track it'd be several pages long. lol Plus most of it would look like a straight line (0 gain) even though all 3 were still sustaining. And "less loud" is exactly the point.

Let's keep in mind, the impetus for this was my ears. I was playing this piece I've been working on, and when I got to that very part (which is near the beginning) I immediately noticed that the bass note was virtually gone by the time I changed A-sus to A-9, so it didn't sound as rich. That's the type of anaemic response I expect from older digital pianos.

Not paraphrasing the problem. Suggesting that you raise the amplitude and experiment with different velocity curves. Version 5 has new pianos, so would it make sense that the previous amplitude and velocity response would sound the same? Granted, some of the new pianos are a continuation of the old, but they are new editions. Arguably, the situation is similar to that of having bought a new sampled instrument--the amplitude and velocity curve might well need to be adjusted to taste.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I can't help noticing that the shape of the wave form in V5 is more similar to the wave form of the real piano than is the wave form of the V3 recording: after the initial strike on the real piano, there are six peaks. V5 has four or five peaks, while V3 has only three or four distinct peaks. Not as complex in its evolution.

That's what I would have written too, not as well as Jake though. Another observation is that one can see from the three figures that v5 and the real piano have a better "pronunciation" than v4: each new chord is visible, whereas in v4 the 2 last chords are drowned in the previous one, which may be the reason why people qualified it muddy.

Nevertheless, I'd like to insist on this Joshua: you have the hand on this, first by reducing the Direct sound duration (make this a priority underlined by ReBased), then by playing with the Impedance.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Not paraphrasing the problem. Suggesting that you raise the amplitude and experiment with different velocity curves. Version 5 has new pianos, so would it make sense that the previous amplitude and velocity response would sound the same? Granted, some of the new pianos are a continuation of the old, but they are new editions. Arguably, the situation is similar to that of having bought a new sampled instrument--the amplitude and velocity curve might well need to be adjusted to taste.

Again, same midi file = same velocities, and same velocity curves = same velocity responses. Amplitude continually changes, so saying they're different is meaningless. That's why you're inadvertently just paraphrasing the issue instead of making a point; the issue being that PT5 attenuates the sustain (amplitude) more than PT3 or a real piano (which, in my case, I'm pretty damn sure shouldn't have stronger sustain than a Steinway Concert D). *PEAK* amplitude is the same. So the comparison is fair. I did raise the output of PT5 by about 10dB to achieve the same peak output level in this performance. Here's the same snippet without that level adjustment. PT5's waveform is only graphically stretched (within Reaper) to make the comparison easier (PT3 above, PT5 below):

http://s22.postimg.org/bfkk86mw1/pt3.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/6tnhfsdch/pt5.jpg

Same issue, whether you adjust for peak output or not.

That's what I would have written too, not as well as Jake though. Another observation is that one can see from the three figures that v5 and the real piano have a better "pronunciation" than v4: each new chord is visible, whereas in v4 the 2 last chords are drowned in the previous one, which may be the reason why people qualified it muddy.

That's EXACTLY where I was hoping to go with this! I didn't want to presume, though. Since you said it, here's how I look at it. Muddiness was indeed an issue with version 3. Attenuating sustain so that attack transients are more "pronounced" is NOT the answer. It's a workaround, and a poor one, since you sacrifice sustain. And you can see from the waveform for the real piano, that's not how it behaves.

I'll play around with the other parameters, though I would think the default settings are meant to be as close to reality as possible. I.e., if I wanted to artificially pronounce each chord, I could LOWER the impedance and sound duration.

Hi

My impressions going from PT3 to PT5. It seems the sound for each generation is rendered from more inputs? Is that correct? Seems like more factors are contributing to the final output now. Doesn't matter if ain't true, but I like the result very much. And hopefully the trend continue.

I like that the "ringing" sound that you could get from certain Dim accords in the fifth octave are gone or heavily reduced.

I love that the base notes has more "growl"  in some scenarios for lack of better words. (English is not my native language)

Is latency improved? Seems more responsive but could be an effect of reinstall maybe .

The K2 is fantastic. Specially for rock and boogie. Finally . To be specific, I really like "natural noises". Turn built in EQ to preset brilliant. And hit D2-E2 hard. You hear a bit of noise. Bug or feature? I don't know, but i like the idea. More of that natural noise fine tuned across the whole range. What will happen?

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Last edited by pianohenke (01-06-2014 09:55)

That's EXACTLY where I was hoping to go with this! I didn't want to presume, though. Since you said it, here's how I look at it. Muddiness was indeed an issue with version 3. Attenuating sustain so that attack transients are more "pronounced" is NOT the answer. It's a workaround, and a poor one, since you sacrifice sustain. And you can see from the waveform for the real piano, that's not how it behaves.

I'll play around with the other parameters, though I would think the default settings are meant to be as close to reality as possible. I.e., if I wanted to artificially pronounce each chord, I could LOWER the impedance and sound duration.

Joshua, it is not a workaround at all and we did not sacrifice anything - that's your interpretation but it does not correspond to the reality - it is the consequence of having a model that now comes much closer to the sound of the acoustic pianos that are modelled: Steinway D, Bluethner Model One, Kremsegg pianos, etc. I can guaranty you that the wave forms of the current model are extremely close to the reference we used, as well as to the many wave forms I have observed since many years - hence the default settings are indeed meant to be as close to reality as possible. This has been validated by a very competent beta team who has worked one full year in refining the models in their finest details.

I remembered seeing a complaint about the sustain of the Garritan Authorised Steinway, and FWIW, I found it:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/arc...69435.html

I don't understand the thing about the sustain being longer if the unisons are less in tune.

EDIT: I didn't notice that it's actually Josh over there too!!   (well, it appears to be, anyway) You sustain monster, Josh!!!

Greg.

Last edited by skip (01-06-2014 12:56)

Perhaps thru being in phase they drive the soundboard harder, and so energy gets lost to the air sooner.

So, when NOT in phase so well, loss is slowed. You'd imagine, if this is right, a tuning fork would sound longer when NOT touched to a big surface.

Last edited by custral (01-06-2014 12:07)

Slightly out of topic but to go back to some previous post in this discussion (regarding the metallic timbre of the Donal pianoforte): don't forget that the early pianoforte's were not meant to sound like our modern piano, to the contrary, they were described as "harpsichords with piano and forte", and the goal was to reproduce the timbre of a harpsichord, or at least to be as close as possible, not to create a new one !
They "failed" in a sense, but in the same way a Hammond B3 "failed" to reproduce a pipe organ: a new instrument was born ! :-)

I used the term 'narrow lens' above in an attempt to express the phenomenon of expectation vs satisfaction/inspiration (the two are related...)

I do not believe (nor did I intend to indicate) that I consider the modern stable of concert grands (all makes) 'better' timbrally than their predecessors. That would be too great a leap. And we live in an age of historically-informed sensitivity!

The mindset of the great composers and all others living in those former times were informed and contextualised by the experiences to which they had access. Who knows what they would have made of later 'developments'? I suspect they would have rather approved, but cannot be sure (nor does it matter).

The important thing is that these men and women were enabled (compelled, even) to find a voice for their spiritual and aesthetic expression in the instruments they knew (instruments we might now be able to better acquaint ourselves with, in the luxury of our own homes, even in the middle of the night...) and in this, they felt no constraint or sense of inadequacy. This lesson, for us, is at a fundamental level, a philosophical one.

Thank you, Pianoteq.

The Rhodes and Wurlitzer EPs were fantastic failures too. I've started a challenge - to find a song that features the Wurly that I do NOT like. I can't think of one! Not even Betty Boo "Doin The Do", even though it's a synthetic Wurly sound - I like it too!

Greg.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Again, same midi file = same velocities, and same velocity curves = same velocity responses. Amplitude continually changes, so saying they're different is meaningless. That's why you're inadvertently just paraphrasing the issue instead of making a point; the issue being that PT5 attenuates the sustain (amplitude) more than PT3 or a real piano (which, in my case, I'm pretty damn sure shouldn't have stronger sustain than a Steinway Concert D). *PEAK* amplitude is the same. So the comparison is fair. I did raise the output of PT5 by about 10dB to achieve the same peak output level in this performance. Here's the same snippet without that level adjustment. PT5's waveform is only graphically stretched (within Reaper) to make the comparison easier (PT3 above, PT5 below):

http://s22.postimg.org/bfkk86mw1/pt3.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/6tnhfsdch/pt5.jpg

Same issue, whether you adjust for peak output or not.

Josh,

Could you post the audio files files that correspond to these three images? I'm not simply avoiding responding what you are saying--I just want to hear the difference. I particularly want to hear your piano. It's entirely  possible that it does have a slower amplitude drop-off than the source Steinway D. It may be older, but since it's a good piano and well-maintained, with no loss of crown, it may just differ from a Steinway D, although V3 of Pianoteq may have more closely approximated its decay rates. In other words, V5 may more accurately emulate the sound of a real D4, but it does not emulate the sound that you want.

Maybe a piano like yours should be investigated for modelling, if it has a precise attack and a slower decay that does not encourage what was called muddiness. Please understand that I am being serious. I'm hoping that we will see a modelled Steingraeber, and a Mason and Hamlin, and an older Baldwin grand, too, although I fear that many people in Europe have not heard older Baldwins.

An aside--some people might argue against the assumption that an older piano will not sustain as well as a recent piano. Many guitar players prefer the sound of older instruments, so long as they are well made and structurally intact. There are various arguments about why older instruments may sound better. Better construction and materials, for one. The age of the spruce tree cut for the sound board. And the wood may dry a little, so that vibrations radiate across more of the sound board--not the same thing as radiating faster, which would kill the sustain. I've seen the same arguments about older pianos--that an older Steinway B has a musicality that newer ones do not, for example. And old violins are still widely praised, although again the exact reason for the tone is argued over.

Please do post the new recordings.

Great refletion !

Like I said once, there would be more symphonic orchestras recordings made entirelly with vintage instruments of the time of the composer.

When we listen to any Mozart recording we are not listening to what was really listened in Mozart's time.

Modartt it's the only company working to recreate hi-quality vintage isntruments. I presume they had a strong heart/passion in this matter. Ohter companies would only think in money and nothing more.

stephenphillips wrote:

I used the term 'narrow lens' above in an attempt to express the phenomenon of expectation vs satisfaction/inspiration (the two are related...)

I do not believe (nor did I intend to indicate) that I consider the modern stable of concert grands (all makes) 'better' timbrally than their predecessors. That would be too great a leap. And we live in an age of historically-informed sensitivity!

The mindset of the great composers and all others living in those former times were informed and contextualised by the experiences to which they had access. Who knows what they would have made of later 'developments'? I suspect they would have rather approved, but cannot be sure (nor does it matter).

The important thing is that these men and women were enabled (compelled, even) to find a voice for their spiritual and aesthetic expression in the instruments they knew (instruments we might now be able to better acquaint ourselves with, in the luxury of our own homes, even in the middle of the night...) and in this, they felt no constraint or sense of inadequacy. This lesson, for us, is at a fundamental level, a philosophical one.

Thank you, Pianoteq.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-06-2014 15:38)

skip wrote:

I don't understand the thing about the sustain being longer if the unisons are less in tune.

It's a bit more complicate. In short:
1) If the unison is in tune, there is the well-known "double decay", a fast initial decay (direct sound) followed by a slow decay (after sound).
2) If the unison is less in tune, then:
- the initial decay is not as fast than when in tune,
- the final decay is faster than when in tune.
3) When the unison is largely out of tune, the "double decay" disappears, the decay being almost constant and moderately fast during the whole life of the note.

Jake Johnson wrote:

I'm hoping that we will see a modelled Steingraeber, and a Mason and Hamlin, and an older Baldwin grand, too, although I fear that many people in Europe have not heard older Baldwins.

And I'm hoping we'll see a Bösendorfer Imperial 270 model before any of those!

Hard work and guts!

In the meanwhile, if you want to listen to a beautiful new demo:
J. Brahms - Clarinet Sonata Op. 120 No. 1,  see https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg1.

For just a second I imagined you created a modeled clarinet.

J. Brahms - Clarinet Sonata Op. 120 No. 1,  see https://www.pianoteq.com/kremsegg1.

Philippe: re: the unison issue, thanks for the explanation.

Greg.

EvilDragon wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

I'm hoping that we will see a modelled Steingraeber, and a Mason and Hamlin, and an older Baldwin grand, too, although I fear that many people in Europe have not heard older Baldwins.

And I'm hoping we'll see a Bösendorfer Imperial 270 model before any of those!

I don't know if it makes me a bad person, but I kinda want an Imperial 290 before the 270

Last edited by njaremko (02-06-2014 04:26)

That's the one, njaremko. I had the number memorized wrong.

Hard work and guts!

I find that the brightness in version 5 to be more true to what I hear as the main body of a piano sound.
More in keeping with the Steinway in this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3maslFBH720
and the sound in this link. Edvard Grieg - Piano Concerto in A minor - 2nd movement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE6pkTb49DQ

Good job from all those concerned.

That's a beautiful performance. Was it performed on an historical instrument? Is it not the case that the MIDIs used for the demos of the historical instruments were actually performed on modern pianos? That could explain why some of them have a rather dry tone. The shorter sustain of the historical pianos demands a different style from the performer. Pianists like Malcolm Bilson, Ronald Brautigam and others make strong arguments for these instruments.

Cheers,
Clive.

Hi there!

I am not a big writer in this forum but since one year a a big fan of Pianoteq.

Here is a direct comparison of Pianoteq 5 and Synthogy Ivory II.
Same Midi-File (performed by the amateur pianist that I am), two different softwares.

Pianoteq 5 (Physical Modeling):
https://soundcloud.com/tj76/praludium-e-dur-bwv-854

Ivory II (Sample Libary):
https://soundcloud.com/andre-pankraz/pr...t-ivory-ii

Both sound very good to me, but when it comes to dynamics, and liveliness Pianoteq is the clear winner (in this setting).

I'd choose Pianoteq again and I like the improvement of the sound in Version 5. Unfortunately Version 5 seems to use more CPU capacity. Polyphony used to be a bit better in P 4.5.1 but I must admit that I'am using a laptop with only 1.8 GHz. Time to upgrade my hardware!

Cheers

TJ

Good demo. In this (non-blind) demo, regarding tone, I think Ivory sounds a bit better and more authentic, but I mainly just hear a different overall tonal balance, and that difference is just a difference - without having a preference for one or the other.

Greg. (not an Ivory owner btw)

Jake Johnson wrote:

I'm hoping that we will see a modelled ... Mason and Hamlin

Jake: I'd be interested in hearing what you think of my favorite FXP (and the main reason I pestered Philippe into adding D4v4 to version 5!) -- I like it because it reminds me a lot of my grandfather's Mason & Hamlin BB that I learned to play on.  It's a lot less metallic and "buzzy", and has a straightforward fullness to the mid-low range that I find acoustically lacking in many of the standard FXPs:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=1901

Personal preference has a lot to do with things, obviously. But (although the mic placement doesn't physically suggest a binaural setup) I like the full, rich sound of this FXP through my studio monitor headphones -- to my ears it approximates the experience of sitting and playing (rather than more concert hall or studio-like setups that give an audience-like perspective, with more aural distance from the instrument).

Last edited by duggadugdug (03-06-2014 06:02)

Hi, TJ! Thank you for this good comparison. For my ear Ivory has a little bit round and rich sound with more presence of low frequences and action noises. D4 is slightly thin and has a lack of "footing". But you are true - it's more vivid. Still some job for Modartt about sound and its timbre (and its richness).
Can you provide us with this midi-file to experiment with PT settings? Unfortunately, I don't have Ivory II for the time being, and your recording is a good material for comparison!

Last edited by Kridlatec (03-06-2014 08:19)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

skip wrote:

I think Ivory sounds a bit better and more authentic, but I mainly just hear a different overall tonal balance

I agree.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Kridlatec wrote:

Hi, TJ! Thank you for this good comparison. For my ear Ivory has a little bit round and rich sound with more presence of low frequences and action noises. D4 is slightly thin and has a lack of "footing". But you are true - it's more vivid. Still some job for Modartt about sound and its timbre (and its richness).
Can you provide us with this midi-file to experiment with PT settings? Unfortunately, I don't have Ivory II for the time being, and your recording is a good material for comparison!

I forgot to mention that I was using the Bluethner on this PT Recording

Kridlatec wrote:

For my ear Ivory has a little bit round and rich sound with more presence of low frequences and action noises. D4 is slightly thin and has a lack of "footing". But you are true - it's more vivid.

I agree. I guess it's mainly a matter of balance as skip wrote in 193. To me sample manufacturers use very similar mic positions which are perfect for me. I bet that the samples sound better than when you sit next to the source instrument just as a drum recording sounds better than an unpowered kit. My opinion of course. That clearness and definition of sample pianos are nice but that comes from the recording technique I guess.

Ah. by the way. I would have preferred the preset list in Pianoteq to be more based on popular mic positions and named after them. That's my first wish for the future. See what I mean. The collection is not exhaustive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XlN3kc1Hx0

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (03-06-2014 09:39)

TJ76 wrote:

Hi there!

I am not a big writer in this forum but since one year a a big fan of Pianoteq.

Here is a direct comparison of Pianoteq 5 and Synthogy Ivory II.
Same Midi-File (performed by the amateur pianist that I am), two different softwares.

Pianoteq 5 (Physical Modeling):
https://soundcloud.com/tj76/praludium-e-dur-bwv-854

Ivory II (Sample Libary):
https://soundcloud.com/andre-pankraz/pr...t-ivory-ii

Both sound very good to me, but when it comes to dynamics, and liveliness Pianoteq is the clear winner (in this setting).

I'd choose Pianoteq again and I like the improvement of the sound in Version 5. Unfortunately Version 5 seems to use more CPU capacity. Polyphony used to be a bit better in P 4.5.1 but I must admit that I'am using a laptop with only 1.8 GHz. Time to upgrade my hardware!

Cheers

TJ

I don't find much difference here, Its a matter of taste. Even concert pianist tune their pianos to how they want it to play and sound, that's why comparisons are hard to judge. I like the sound of Ivory, though the Pianoteq details sound more realistic to me, more detailed throughout the notes.

Last edited by DonSmith (03-06-2014 15:17)