Re: Pianoteq 5

tractor_music wrote:
Xain wrote:
njaremko wrote:

You're guaranteed free upgrades for 1 year after purchase.

Is this confirmed btw ?

I bought V2 as an old retail stock item for a substantial discount, within minutes of registering it I was able to upgrade to V4.  The 1 year period appears to start from when you first REGISTER the product.

I don't know the full upgrade history, but it is my understanding that upgrades were free without limit until V4, i.e. from V1 to V3 upgrades were free no matter how long you had used it.
The upgrade to V4 was the first upgrade for which a fee was charged and I think that is when the 1 year time limit was introduced - - something like 29Euros and I think a bundled freebie may have been included.

I hope that'll be true for stage version as well...
I can't wait... (PTQ team, another teaser svp !!!)

Maybe.

English language joke, the Month of May is here - the first week has passed...
One down, three to go

Waiting, waiting, waiting, EVER SO patiently (not).

It's coming!, next week!. It wasnt too soon haha.

I think I'm about to jump OFF this particular train.

Every version claims to be so near perfect that listeners can't tell the difference between PTQ and the physical piano that it represents, yet a couple of years later there is a "new and improved" version for .... Ahhh yes, more money.

So, my PTQ standard version is up for sale BEFORE the V5 upgrade.

Best offer.

tractor_music wrote:

Every version claims to be so near perfect that listeners can't tell the difference between PTQ and the physical piano that it represents, yet a couple of years later there is a "new and improved" version for .... Ahhh yes, more money.

Best offer.

Well... if the upgrade to V5 turns out to be 29 euros I think that's a bargain. I don't expect vendors to provide me with free upgrades for life, not if they expect to stay in business anyway :-)

John

tractor_music wrote:

Best offer.

Of course, you may sell your copy, it's your right. But why do you think, that is for "money"? In my opinion, V2, V3, V4, V4.5 differs considerably, if we speak about sound (4.5v with good sound improvements was even for free). And new instruments become more and more realisitic (C2 - C3 - D4 - Bluthner). We just live in times, when technologies develop fast. Don't hurry to sell it, tractor! Wait for v5

Last edited by Kridlatec (19-05-2014 16:26)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

-I'm impressed that so much people complain about pianoteq, and almost no one complaim about the fake artificial CGI effects in many films that only add quantity instead of quality.

-Or how I see no one complain about many LCD screen that distort the image if we only move the nose a little bit to righ or left.

-Or even about the lie that is HD broadcast, since compression f... most detail on image. 

-Without speaking about some crap grain reduction used in many film (some BD discs) that make image look washed in most details.

And the reason that no one complain about all these craps it's because media tells people these all great perfect technology. They constantly hammer this idea in the head of everyone with massive propaganda, marketing, and people's brain are nearly forced to agree.

Pianoteq is going better than CGI, LCD and HD broadcast !!!
One step each time.
V5 will probably please many people, but there will be always people who will dislike.

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-05-2014 16:22)

Beto-Music wrote:

-I'm impressed that so much people complain about pianoteq, and almost no one complaim about the fake artificial CGI effects in many films that only add quantity instead of quality.

-Or how I see no one complain about many LCD screen that distort the image if we only move the nose a little bit to righ or left.

-Or even about the lie that is HD broadcast, since compression f... most detail on image. 

-Without speaking about some crap grain reduction used in many film (some BD discs) that make image look washed in most details.

And the reason that no one complain about all these craps it's because media tells people these all great perfect technology. They constantly hammer this idea in the head of everyone with massive propaganda, marketing, and people's brain are nearly forced to agree.

Pianoteq is going better than CGI, LCD and HD broadcast !!!
One step each time.
V5 will probably please many people, but there will be always people who will dislike.

This isn't a COMPLAINT about Pianoteq, or an endorsement of any techniques or technologies used anywhere in the production of movies or other "entertainment_ware".
I am just TIRED of the upgrade ride, it is THAT simple.

I do NOT record, I do NOT need the (currently) closest possible representation of any particular physical piano.
I don't feel any need for the delta improvement, however small the delta cost.

I just want an adequate piano-like sound and for MY playing the hardware units I have had for a very long time are plenty good enough.

I often pause on my way past my keyboard and play a few bars, sometimes I get up from the couch and go over to reproduce a motif I heard on the radio or TV  -  it might be enough to identify the piece that it is an excerpt from, just a few seconds, or I might noodle on it for hours. 
Setting up a laptop and loading a program JUST to get a better voice for that activity isn't worth it - for ME, for the way I use my keyboard.
Some may say I should just have a DP - maybe I should, but the old hardware SGUs are still doing a good enough job in that role.

Don't tell me that Windoze 8 is any better than Windoze 95, or even 3.1 

Each version of Pianoteq is better and better, that's for sure. I prefer PT to any sampled library I tried (Galaxy D for example). They only sound nice when listening to demos, but once I actually play them, I don't like them.
If you want 100% acoustic sound, you have to buy acoustic. Simple as that. Digital will never sound exactly same as acoustic, at least not in the near future.

jarosujo wrote:

If you want 100% acoustic sound, you have to buy acoustic. Simple as that. Digital will never sound exactly same as acoustic, at least not in the near future.

The question is which acoustic piano. 

Where my kids take lessons, they have Kawais, a Hamlin Mason and a Pearl River.  They all sound different -- nothing close to the typical Steinway sound you hear on recordings.

So if you take the approach that Pianoteq sounds like "an" acoustic ... just not the one you are thinking of, it works pretty good.

I'm really sorry Tractor-Music. It wasn't a indirect to your person at all, but you made me remamber about some things.

I understand perfectonism or similars very well. Without it products would not be refined as often as they are.
Some people really feels the tone it's extremelly important. Everyone have his own priority and this must be respected.
Personaly I think tone it's very important, and there were times I used to complain about many details on pianoteq's early versions. But things kept improving, and there is still things that can be aprimorated. After Bluthner and U4 I felt more confident about pianoteq's future.

Well... you can always test the V5 demo version to feel if it's considerably better or if worth of a second chance. Perhaps you can wait a few weeks.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-05-2014 04:33)

What would be the next step ???

Let's supose the modelled technology get virtually perfect in tone, indistinguisable when listened by headphones and compared to the recording sound of a real piano. And with all natural ressonance and interaction modeled offers.

The next step would be the creation of a sound system that can get very similar to the sound power and dispersion nature of a real pinao soundbordy and piano body.

Beto-Music wrote:

What would be the next step ???
. . .
The next step would be the creation of a sound system that can get very similar to the sound power and dispersion nature of a real pinao soundbordy and piano body.

It's a "solved problem".

I looked at a Yamaha AvantGrand N3.  There are several loudspeakers on top, and several on the bottom, and the amps are about 400 watts, total.

You could put Jarosujo's tiny Intel computer inside to run Pianoteq, and use the Avant Grand keyboard, and the Avant Grand sound system.

And it would only cost about $16,000.<g>

.      Charles

PS -- there's a description of the sound system, and evaluation of the AvantGrand, here:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/Yama...nd-N3/2199

Beto-Music wrote:

What would be the next step ??

More and more new models! Grand pianos, uprights, bells, harspichords. May be harp or classical guitar.

(And then new product ViolaTeq with violin, cello, viola! Oh really, I would like to have physically modelled violin, as sampled analogs are much more rigid than pianos)

Kridlatec wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

(And then new product ViolaTeq with violin, cello, viola! Oh really, I would like to have physically modelled violin, as sampled analogs are much more rigid than pianos)

For help you to be patient : http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co...show/7463/

Lylo wrote:

For help you to be patient : http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co...show/7463/

Not bad! Thanks)

For ME - just for MYself there is no need for a "next step".
Many of us have had many happy hours on physical pianos that were far from "perfect" (however defined) when designed, built or maintained. 
Uprights in rooms that were so WRONG acoustically, but we enjoyed the MUSIC.
Hear the sound or hear the music ?

MY perspective is on the music and the pleasure of playing.
I am very tired of being told that I could enjoy it more if I ran it through the new version of sample library XYZ.
I have no NEED of a simulated Steinway O, M, C or D, Bosendorfer Imperial or Yamaha CFX, however near to perfect the simulation may be. 
There is SO MUCH variation between individual pianos of any brand/model anyway that at some point the pursuit is meaningless. 
The closer a simulation gets to any ONE particular piano the farther it gets from some other piano.

Maybe I have tin ears, maybe my hearing is failing.
The bottom line is still that I'm getting OFF the upgrade train for this and a lot of other software.
Even the free ones often bring new sets of bugs and barely solve the old bugs.

So, offers are still coming in - this feels like an auction, although the bidders can't hear each other

Last edited by tractor_music (20-05-2014 11:46)

So you are a techno hippie, great, but wrong forum I guess.

Let me explain.

I need more, far more, and my hope is on modelled pianos, is the only hope I have and Im sure the goal is going to be reached, soon, later, I dont know, but everytime they say a new pianoteq is coming Im very excited because we are closer to that goal.

I have an Erard baby grand, so even if its claimed that is very close to the real thing, there are still differences, is easier to play on Pianoteq, is even easier to play and sound good on samples, after all, the samples itself sound good so you wont produce a bad sound at all.

But above all, is the feeling, I want that feeling on a modelled piano.

This year, I had the pleasure of playing on a Steinway D, it was not my first time but somehow this Steinway was so powerful, mind blowing and almost perfect in sound that for the first time I understood their fame, it was like playing thunder, and on top of that, even when I played a nocturne that I've played before a lot, it was like if it were the first time, I head resonances never heard, I heard harmonies never heard before, in a beautiful and powerful tone.

So I want that on a digital piano?, a big yes!, I dont think samples are gonna cut it and my hopes are on Pianoteq big time, I dont know if I would get it on P5, but as I said, its one step closer.

Last edited by Rohade (20-05-2014 12:17)

Rohade wrote:

So you are a techno hippie, great, but wrong forum I guess.

Let me explain.

I need more, far more, and my hope is on modelled pianos, is the only hope I have and Im sure the goal is going to be reached, soon, later, I dont know, but everytime they say a new pianoteq is coming Im very excited because we are closer to that goal.

I have an Erard baby grand, so even if its claimed that is very close to the real thing, there are still differences, is easier to play on Pianoteq, is even easier to play and sound good on samples, after all, the samples itself sound good so you wont produce a bad sound at all.

But above all, is the feeling, I want that feeling on a modelled piano.

This year, I had the pleasure of playing on a Steinway D, it was not my first time but somehow this Steinway was so powerful, mind blowing and almost perfect in sound that for the first time I understood their fame, it was like playing thunder, and on top of that, even when I played a nocturne that I've played before a lot, it was like if it were the first time, I head resonances never heard, I heard harmonies never heard before, in a beautiful and powerful tone.

So I want that on a digital piano?, a big yes!, I dont think samples are gonna cut it and my hopes are on Pianoteq big time, I dont know if I would get it on P5, but as I said, its one step closer.

I agree, they did a great job until now and they probably can do even more.
It's a really original project by comparison with the sampling approch.
And for the price... I think the upgrade is very affordable.

Now we are waiting to hear something. If I hear a difference between V4 and V5, I probably will go for the upgrade...

tractor_music wrote:

For ME - just for MYself there is no need for a "next step".
MY perspective is on the music and the pleasure of playing.
I am very tired of being told that I could enjoy it more if I ran it through the new version of sample library XYZ.

All well and good, but as Rohade says, it rather begs the question of why you visit the forum. You're perfectly welcome to, of course, but ultimately... what do you expect?

ViolaTeq would be a excellent idea.

Kridlatec wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

More and more new models! Grand pianos, uprights, bells, harspichords. May be harp or classical guitar.

Never saw one in person.

it would be closer to a real piano, but I'm no sure if it would create the true feeling of listening a grand piano.

cpcohen wrote:

It's a "solved problem".

I looked at a Yamaha AvantGrand N3.  There are several loudspeakers on top, and several on the bottom, and the amps are about 400 watts, total.

You could put Jarosujo's tiny Intel computer inside to run Pianoteq, and use the Avant Grand keyboard, and the Avant Grand sound system.

And it would only cost about $16,000.<g>

.      Charles

PS -- there's a description of the sound system, and evaluation of the AvantGrand, here:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/Yama...nd-N3/2199

Well, "There's always the unexpected, isn't there?" is a wise precept about what you expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMbMJ1clDU

custral wrote:

Well, "There's always the unexpected, isn't there?" is a wise precept about what you expect.

Moral of the clip is, this British raid the American's been blackmailed into he expects to be vinegar, only hey, it's honey - and never mind all the dud radio needed was a dismissive kick to keep the raid alive. Click. Handcuffed.

So far, in the few moments I have been able to play V5, I am very happy.  Thank you Modartt!

tractor_music wrote:

well don't upgrade then!

tractor_music wrote:

Well it is, so there.

See, it's simple when I explain things

feline1 wrote:
tractor_music wrote:

well don't upgrade then!

tractor_music wrote:

Well it is, so there.

See, it's simple when I explain things

Windoze just gets more "Feature encumbered" with every release/version
"better" ?  barely,
more "Mac like"  ? Yes.
New bugs for old ?  Ohh Yezzzzz...

Windows 7 is the most stable and fastest Windows I've ever had. Most people say W8.1 is even faster (boot time especially), but I don't like the Metro UI. Plus, W7 is plenty fast for me.

It is MUCH better than OSX.

Hard work and guts!

Skuto wrote:

Here's a relatively uncomplicated one: Time signatures and beat emphasis in the metronome.

Whaaaa, they added this! Awesome!

EvilDragon wrote:

Windows 7 is the most stable and fastest Windows I've ever had. Most people say W8.1 is even faster (boot time especially), but I don't like the Metro UI. Plus, W7 is plenty fast for me.

Well - always the same debate

In my new job I met a new collegue a half year ago who was absolutely anti OSX....for whatever reason.
He just bought a Macbook a week ago and feels like in a whole new world and can't really understand why he missed all these super features like spaces for so long...incredibely easy program installations and no junk sitting in the Windows registry after program uninstall.

For you Windows might rule and please be happy with that.
For others OSX rules - no discussion here!
OSX is better than Windows - Windows is better than OSX ....it sucks.

But happy about v5

Last edited by weedywhizz (21-05-2014 15:28)

I'm speaking from my own experience with OSX... Windows outperforms OSX each and every time... ESPECIALLY in disk usage (in particular with SSDs) - this is important for DAWs and especially samplers like Kontakt (higher voice count on a comparable configuration between W7 and OSX Mavericks).

And OSX has its own type of junk called .DS_Store files (kinda similar to Windows' thumbs.db files), and their registry is not a monolith like on Windows, but is thousands of .plist files which is much worse for drive fragmentation... NTFS is a better file system than XFS, etc. etc.

Don't even get me started on Apple's - planned obsolence thing almost every time they make a small OS update... I can still run 20 years old programs from Windows 95 on my Windows 7 if I want to! No such thing on OSX.

But yes, v5 is awesome!

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-05-2014 15:36)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I'm speaking from my own experience with OSX... Windows outperforms OSX each and every time... ESPECIALLY in disk usage (in particular with SSDs).

And OSX has its own type of junk called .DS_Store files, and their registry is not a monolith like on Windows, but is thousands of .plist files which is much worse for drive fragmentation... NTFS is a better file system than XFS, etc. etc.

But yes, v5 is awesome!

Yes - Windows is the UeberOS ...blabla As we say in Germany - you are right and I have my peace !
Some people on this planet will never look back to Windows (me included) for the usability even though I also use a Win8.1 i7 machine as a ViennaEnsemblePro server. Why Windows this case ? Because is was cheap to build a server for VEP5 and I don't really use any gui on the server.
And .DS_Store files reminds me of the hidden folders in Win (SystemVolumeInformation) which is waaaaaay better I guess
When you say speaking from your own experience - Windows is better sounds more like a general conclusion.
This reminds me of a big discussion @ Gearslutz where you liked to convince everyone of your own opinion which didn't worked out very well

Last edited by weedywhizz (21-05-2014 16:40)

weedywhizz wrote:

And .DS_Store files reminds me of the hidden folders in Win (SystemVolumeInformation).

As if OSX doesn't have any such hidden or super-hidden folders, please!

weedywhizz wrote:

When you say speaking from your own experience - Windows is better sounds more like a general conclusion.

And for me - it IS a general conclusion.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
weedywhizz wrote:

And .DS_Store files reminds me of the hidden folders in Win (SystemVolumeInformation).

As if OSX doesn't have any such hidden or super-hidden folders, please!

weedywhizz wrote:

And for me - it IS a general conclusion.

Ahhhm, please show me where exactly I said there are no hidden files and folders in OSX ?

I said there is a Windows registry which carrys a lot of junk after uninstalling software -> YOU said there are these .DS files in OSX. As if Windows has no hidden files and folders, please! (hmmm, sounds like its your wording)
Oh and those thumb files in Windows....and all those viruses and troyans which are made for OSX....and only 1 desktop to work with ? OMG.

You are absolutely missing the point here !

To conclude:

The best operating system, software, computer, car, house, wife....whatever is always what suits your own personal needs!
And to post my own general conclusion:

OSX is better - as my main working machine
I like my Win8.1 as a server for VEP5 as I don't need to use the GUI that much!

Last edited by weedywhizz (21-05-2014 16:51)

Didn't have a virus or a trojan in 7 years now, and counting.

weedywhizz wrote:

and only 1 desktop to work with ? OMG.

Wow, OMG, there's a free app that does exactly the same thing as Spaces, for Windows. Wow.

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-05-2014 16:52)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Congratulations. Me not either. Not on OSX - nor on Windows.
So lets get back to the shiny new Pianoteq5

BTW: I know these apps for multiple screens on Windows. They made the job but where never that easy to use like on OSX with a swipe of your finger. And its natively built in.

Last edited by weedywhizz (21-05-2014 16:54)

weedywhizz wrote:

BTW: I know these apps for multiple screens on Windows. They made the job but where never that easy to use like on OSX with a swipe of your finger. And its natively built in.

Well, I'm not on a laptop so I don't swipe my fingers anywhere. I do assume that some of those apps might be updated for W8.1 and multitouch control at some point - just the matter of time.

Anyways - back to the topic, I agree!

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

weedywhizz wrote:

Wow, OMG, there's a free app that does exactly the same thing as Spaces, for Windows. Wow.

Hi ED

Can you please say me wich Ap it is? Because i like to try it

Thank you

cakewalker wrote:

Hi ED

Thank you

It's called Dexpot: http://dexpot.de/index.php?lang=en

Hard work and guts!

cakewalker wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

weedywhizz wrote:

Hi ED

Thank you

http://www.betterdesktoptool.com

Thank you ED, thank you WW

That one also looks nice (not free, though), thanks weedywhizz!

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-05-2014 17:08)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

That one also looks nice, thanks weedywhizz!

Yes but only free for private usage. But still beautiful

Hmmm, seems you need the Pro version to enable virtual desktops?

EDIT: Nope, works in private usage version as well. Great!

Last edited by EvilDragon (21-05-2014 17:11)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Hmmm, seems you need the Pro version to enable virtual desktops?

EDIT: Nope, works in private usage version as well. Great!

Worth every penny though.

Last edited by weedywhizz (21-05-2014 17:14)

Indeed. It's not even that expensive. But... I am a private user

Hard work and guts!

I can't use my coupon code .... ?

Adding my "upgrade story" to the list.
- I bought Pianoteq Play (now Stage) at version 3.
- I got a free upgrade to v4.
- Recently, I bought the upgrade from v4 Stage to v4 Standard.
- Buying an upgrade apparently counts toward getting a free upgrade to a major version, as I've now gotten the v5 upgrade for free.
- Before v5 was released, I had bought the YC5, U4, and electric pianos. I already had the K1, of course, which was included as standard.
- Now that v5 is here, the YC5 has been updated (the preset list is different), and I got the K2 for free, presumably because I had the K1 already.

It seems that the K2 will not be included with Pianoteq 5 for users who are buying it for the first time, while users who already had K1 will be upgraded.

First buyers have option to choose one from 3 different free packs, one pack with D4 with K2, other pack with Electric pianos R2, W1 and CL1 clavinet, and one pack with percursion add on (Xilo, vibes and marimba).

Users that have v4.5 stage/standart or older, and upgrade to pro or from Stage to Standart, get upgrade to V5 automatically.

I noticed a error in the website, as then price for YC5 showed on screen it's 389 dollars.

dalahast wrote:

It seems that the K2 will not be included with Pianoteq 5 for users who are buying it for the first time, while users who already had K1 will be upgraded.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-05-2014 20:31)

EvilDragon wrote:

Windows 7 ...

Each has its charms I'm sure.

I have found that W7 sucks for me and so have replaced all my Windows disabled devices with Linux in just a few of its glorious flavours, but you like W7 so good on ya.

You may think that OS X is the inferior of the two OS you mention, but how many Macs do you run? I still have old G3 G4 and G5 machines that run as they were designed to do with nary a glitch, and four Intel Macs that purr along 24/7 apart from one recent MacBook Pro that hates Mavericks, but who likes Mavericks?  Propellerheads ReBirth still boots flawlessly on my pre OS X G3 lime and blueberry 350/450 Mhz CRT iMacs, and Pianoteq 4.5 rocks on the dual 2.5 G5 tower o power ... not sure how Pianoteq 5 will fare, may finally need to lower the rate and engage multi core processing.

See ya on the KorgForums ED, you rock.