Re: Pianoteq 5

rhombic wrote:

Are the electric pianos (rhody, Wurly ect...) also getting  a significant update??

Not at this point.

Well, IMHO Wurly and Clav are already as good as they can be. Rhodes are damn fine too, so personally I don't think they need a significant update. Pianos always do, though, since that's the main selling point of Pianoteq.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-03-2014 08:35)
Hard work and guts!

I haven't found any detailed list of those new models/instruments.
Did you retrieve those details from the video, or is there a pre announcement document somewhere ?
If so, which (if any) of those historical instruments are "bundled" ?
i.e. are they KIVir or are they fxps that require for example purchase of the Bluthner ?

BTW, your suggestion to change the midi file that comes as the demo in the midi player;
I agree, it DOES sound a bit weird with some of the instruments/pre-sets. 
Perhaps the demo midi file could be chosen according to the instrument pre-set, e.g. something MUCH MORE appropriate to the period for the electric pianos

Beto-Music wrote:

Hey hey, they got the "bull by the horn"

-Reworked versions of Bluthner, D4, U4 upright, K2, YC5 ...  Soundboard and string algorithm for moddeling were improved.

-Improved microfones position.

New models:

Bosendorfer (1829)

Pleyel (1835)  -Not the 1926 version

Frenzel (1841)

S. Erard (1849)  -Not the other already available from 1922.

C. Bechstein (1899)  - Not the other alveady available from 1896

J.B. Streicher (1852)

J.Dohnal (1795)

J.Broadwood (1796)

Pianoteq 5.
5 it's a luck number.

Just need to change the MIDI music that come as demo in the midi player.
;-)

Last edited by tractor_music (30-03-2014 18:37)

On top of my wishlist is an enhanced string resonance-effect. I know that this is very komplex but what I hear in Pianoteq has litte similarity with what I hear on my piano.

Well resonance sounds different on every piano...

Hard work and guts!

I got the information from the vídeo, looking the instrument list in 720p quality. And also listening to the comments of Niclas.

I supose the historical instruments are part of the KIVir Project, but not 100% sure if it will be all free.

More midi files for the little Midi player would be nice, one for each type of music style.

tractor_music wrote:

I haven't found any detailed list of those new models/instruments.
Did you retrieve those details from the video, or is there a pre announcement document somewhere ?
If so, which (if any) of those historical instruments are "bundled" ?
i.e. are they KIVir or are they fxps that require for example purchase of the Bluthner ?

BTW, your suggestion to change the midi file that comes as the demo in the midi player;
I agree, it DOES sound a bit weird with some of the instruments/pre-sets. 
Perhaps the demo midi file could be chosen according to the instrument pre-set, e.g. something MUCH MORE appropriate to the period for the electric pianos

The electric pianos are good, but I supose they do not generated the acoustic sound, just the áudio output signal these models have. Is that a problem for some usaers???

EvilDragon wrote:
rhombic wrote:

Are the electric pianos (rhody, Wurly ect...) also getting  a significant update??

Not at this point.

Well, IMHO Wurly and Clav are already as good as they can be. Rhodes are damn fine too, so personally I don't think they need a significant update. Pianos always do, though, since that's the main selling point of Pianoteq.

Last edited by Beto-Music (30-03-2014 22:09)

Well this is very exciting.

I bought Pianoteq Stage last week.

I already own Ivory II American Steinway D and Italian Grand, and I'm playing them with a Casio PX-350 which IMO makes a great MIDI controller.

I was attracted to Pianoteq because it makes the keyboard feel more alive than Ivory II, but when I play with the sustain pedal, Pianoteq sounds just a tiny bit artificial.

I find myself going back to the Ivory II American Steinway but wishing both would make an upgrade. Ivory II sounds more like a piano, but it feels two dimensional under my fingers. Pianoteq is three dimensional, but it doesn't sound enough like a piano. I can really get lost in both worlds, but I'm not 100% satisfied.

I also just love all of the varieties of sounds you can get out of Pianoteq, even with the Stage software.

I have a feeling Pianoteq is going to make great strides with this new upgrade and reflect more the soul of a real piano.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

News about PT5 are great! One year ago I wrote in a field for opinions (user area) about evulating different mics. Nice to hear, that PT team has the same idea! Waiting for the new version!

beakybird wrote:

I was attracted to Pianoteq because it makes the keyboard feel more alive than Ivory II, but when I play with the sustain pedal, Pianoteq sounds just a tiny bit artificial.

I have a feeling Pianoteq is going to make great strides with this new upgrade and reflect more the soul of a real piano.

I would like sound like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRx-yB7pD7U
With much deeper, richer, wooden, than in PT, moment of hit, and with fading sound tails
*And even with modeling of Glenn's voice, ha-ha *

Last edited by Kridlatec (31-03-2014 11:46)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

I believe the new version will sound better, given the new algorithm for string and soundboard modeling.
The new historical pianos will probably sounds great.

But the models that already exist may not get so much extra benefits  as a new commercials modesl that would be coming, since a new model would be designed from sketch to use the new algorithm while the old models (V4.5) were not.
just my humble guess...

Since pianoteq first version most the the historical pianos sounded a bit better in terms of naturality. I presume the iron harp of modern era pianos it's more challenging for modeling technology
Let's see how the new Bechstein sounds, since it is close to a modern piano than the others new historical pianos coming in V5.

Last edited by Beto-Music (31-03-2014 15:43)

Sorry, Evildragon, but I can't agree with you. You should test a piece of modern music, which uses string resonance (I mean silently pressed keys, which begin to sound after other notes are played). An easy example would be something from "Nachtklänge" from Jenö Takács. Compared with a real piano, which gives a wunderfull resonance, what you hear on Pianoteq is more like some delay-feedback resonance- effect found in many digital effekt prozessors. 

Pianoteq 'til now is definitly not capable of reproducing modern piano music. Of course, this is the case with all the other digital pianos, too.

I hope, we both live long enough to hear such a piece on Pianoteq:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQE1TXooMbg

By the way: It would be nice to simulate some of the classic preperation effects like nails in the strings, wouldn't it?

I have no problem with you not agreeing with me. I find Pianoteq's silent-key string resonance just fine and actually quite ok compared to my upright back home.

Different strokes for different folks.

Hard work and guts!

i would love a little picture of the piano i'm playing - maybe at least as an option to choose in the little window for velocity etc - down on the left. don't know exactly WHY i'd like it, but - expecially for the KIvir Instruments - i feel some desire for visual reconnaissance (sorry my english).

well okay, and since this is my first post: huge thanks for your brainwork, modartt, you rock, really, pianoteq is THE next big (and fun) step in the "pianolution"!

okay and by the way: could you please have mercy and renew your NEWS post? - it looks like nobody's home anymore since christmas - makes your site look a little lonesome and abandonded, everytime i check... any little news update would do - even the weather report...

(ps: could you do a nylon concert guitar one day in the future?!)

Last edited by haendehoch (02-04-2014 04:08)

haendehoch wrote:

i would love a little picture of the piano i'm playing - maybe at least as an option to choose in the little window for velocity etc - down on the left. don't know exactly WHY i'd like it, but - expecially for the KIvir Instruments - i feel some desire for visual reconnaissance (sorry my english).

well okay, and since this is my first post: huge thanks for your brainwork, modartt, you rock, really, pianoteq is THE next big (and fun) step in the "pianolution"!

okay and by the way: could you please have mercy and renew your NEWS post? - it looks like nobody's home anymore since christmas - makes your site look a little lonesome and abandonded, everytime i check... any little news update would do - even the weather report...

Thanks for your feedback.

You can see a picture of each instrument in the Preset Manager. Maybe you can have that window open while playing?

Regarding news, we only post news when we have something new to tell... I can promise that we will post something next month...

haendehoch wrote:

You're right! For such a small company there's nothing more important than writing news during launch phases. Who cares about bugs in a new product?! No offense, but I couldn't keep that for myself.

haendehoch wrote:

NO, please NO! Keep focussing on your core competencies!

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Pianos should definitely be the primary focus of Pianoteq.  That being said, the steel pans, tubular bells, church bells and vibes are spectacular!  I would be very reluctant to discourage development of other models that work well in this architecture.  As long as they don't split their resources into separate platforms...DrumTeq, StringTeq, BrassTeq.   Hmmm...now that I see it in writing, hire some more people and get to work on those, right away!  Just kidding...kind of. 
   -Perry-

Beto-Music wrote:

I believe the new version will sound better, given the new algorithm for string and soundboard modeling.
The new historical pianos will probably sounds great.

But the models that already exist may not get so much extra benefits  as a new commercials modesl that would be coming, since a new model would be designed from sketch to use the new algorithm while the old models (V4.5) were not.
just my humble guess...

There appears to be the new K2 model based on the K1. I wonder how similar/different it will sound taking advantage of the new algorithm. I think that the V4 models will be sent to legacy for not to change their piano sounds (as they've done before) encouraging people to upgrade to V5 while still keeping their previous sessions with pianoteq untouched. I still think it would be cool if all the V4 pianos got a V5 facelift as well (D5, U5, etc). I guess that's what we're seeing with the K2. Excited nonetheless!

Last edited by violoncellemuse (02-04-2014 14:20)
Windows 10 1511 | Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz | 16GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | JBL LSR305
Casio Privia PX-150 | M-Audio Oxygen 49 (Gen 3)
Pianoteq Standard 5.5.1 | D4, K2, U4, KIViR, Bells

Quote Studiocat: "DrumTeq, StringTeq, BrassTeq.   Hmmm..."

---

I think guitars, drums and other kinds of instruments may be or may be not a good idea.

If the time and investment required is relatively low, for a drum or guitar, and the finantial return it' fine, it can generate more ressources to invest in the making of great piano models.

Violoncellemuse, I supose you are right about K2 model.

Last edited by Beto-Music (02-04-2014 14:53)

My - very personal - opinion is that going away from keyboard based instruments would be a mistake...

My talk of "DrumTeq", "BrassTeq", etc. was somewhat sarcastic.  I purchased Pianoteq for the pianos!
   I am very happy with them as they are, yet very excited to see them developed even further!

-Perry-

Last edited by Studiocat (03-04-2014 16:16)

I can understand any concern that effort toward other instrument families might dilute the development of PIANOS.
However, One should not assume that the development process has deliberately precluded other directions.
It would have been bad engineering and a bad business decision.

Steel pans, tubular bells, vibes etc have already shown that the development method is not "closed".
Other synthesis methods have shown themselves capable of several instrument types, it may be necessary to show such capability for "acceptance" as a synth builder.

@ niclas fogwall

oh yes, now I found the pictures of the instruments, I never noticed them before, my mistake.

concerning the news: i think your much too modest: imho the sneak preview of the musikmesse really IS news, and good news indeed! - but i found it in the forum, after searching a while. I can imagine, that other customers, who wouldnt have the time to search through your forum, would be happy to find a link to it in the news section. but of course I too can appreciate the idea of not building up fake news every day only to keep customers busy.

I happily look forward to next month, thanx and good luck!

@ notyetconvicted

don't be too harsh on me. I didn't want to start a competition about which instrument may be more important than the other, its simply a personal WISH. different people, different interests, you know... and i happen to actually be quite happy with the pianos  - and even if i embrace every further evolution of them: the idea of adding a concert GUITAR based on the same architecture and with the astonishing dynamic posibilities THRILLS me!! yes, the pianos made me appetite for more - so shoot me!

And talking about "competencies": if modartt wasn't so brillantly competent in building such instruments, i wouldn't have mentioned the idea in the first place.

but i see the point: At the end of the day its a question of ressources. - just like three kids having only one bicycle: is only one of them allowed to ride it and the others have to sit an cry? or do they share...

wherever it goes, it will be fun, we're in the same boat, the sea is wide and stars above us!

Last edited by haendehoch (04-04-2014 04:50)

I wasn't going to do this, but...

As a concert guitarist with Pianoteq;
The thought of an arbitrary scale is fascinating, I think mine are all 65cm., but that is something I probably haven't MEASURED since my first year.

The 10m piano soundboard is fun to play with in Pianoteq - just THINK what could be done with a 10m guitar neck (10m octave)
Nothing I could PLAY as a physical instrument, but as a virtual instrument via a keyboard that could be a LOT of fun.

Soundboard impedance too, that would be fun to vary on a board that couldn't take the needed string tension if it was built.  (THICK top with MASSIVE ribs).

Hmmm, OK that stuff belongs in other dreams.
Perhaps Modarrt could license the technology to other synth builders though ?

haendehoch wrote:

@ notyetconvicted

don't be too harsh on me. I didn't want to start a competition about which instrument may be more important than the other, its simply a personal WISH. different people, different interests, you know... and i happen to actually be quite happy with the pianos  - and even if i embrace every further evolution of them: the idea of adding a concert GUITAR based on the same architecture and with the astonishing dynamic posibilities THRILLS me!! yes, the pianos made me appetite for more - so shoot me!

NotyetCONVICTED :-). Keep calm, I'm no criminal. My nick is NotyetCONVINCED :-).

It's not possible to play a keyboard like a guitar. So why does the world need guitar sounds for keyboards at all? Guitars are not that expensive and used very often. By the way: There are modelling techniques to be triggered by real guitars.

I think it is right that most of us only need imitations of natural sounds and electric pianos for practical and economic reasons. Not everyone can afford a real piano and has enough space. I don't want and can't afford to carry around my baby grand and mic it every time I want to record something just as little as I can pay a string ensemble every time I need strings or want to buy chromatic percussion I only need on rare occasions.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (04-04-2014 10:40)
formerly known as Notyetconvinced

A organ would be very nice, and probably not difficult to create, Am I correct ?

About guitars and other non-keyboard instruments, maybe they could get more playable (close to fine playing like a real one) if many pedals effect coud be adressed. If someone have a digital piano with 3 pedals, the 3 couled have diferente functions.

Beto-Music wrote:

A organ would be very nice, and probably not difficult to create, Am I correct ?

I was just thinking this the other day. I've been checking out Hauptwerk sampled organs, and it's quite huge in file size. A modeled organ would be a fraction of the size, of course. Plus all the parameters that are possible with modeling to play with.

but the modelled organ is already there:
http://www.virtualorgancompany.com/
And to be honest, it's not bad at all.

UuuHhnnn... The sound samples did not impressed me very much.

Luc Henrion wrote:

Me neither. Nor did the GUI look appealing.

Hard work and guts!

there is a free trial version. try it ! :-)
This being said, it's not Hauptwerk I must admit

Beto-Music wrote:

UuuHhnnn... The sound samples did not impressed me very much.

Luc Henrion wrote:

"Samples" ?
What "samples" ?

Sound samples, or they should've better said "examples"

http://www.virtualorgancompany.com/virt...amples.asp

Hard work and guts!

Luc Henrion wrote:

there is a free trial version. try it ! :-)
This being said, it's not Hauptwerk I must admit

Did you try the two free (not just the demo) organs--the Blokwerk and the Portatief? Some pleasant sounds can be obtained, particularly with the Blokwerk around what we could call the tenor section and the bass, particularly with the Scherp turned on. Nice reverb on the let-off, too.  I agree, however, that something is missing. Is the attack a problem? A little abrupt and always the same, or should it be abrupt and always the same to accurately model these old organs? I wanted a bit more of a swell, but that may just be me.

I agree about the interface--not much to be seen.

I wanted to be able to experiment with the stops. But then again, I don't know if these organs let the original players experiment with the stops.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (05-04-2014 16:42)

Yes I tried them both. Well, no, in fact, I actually USE them both !!! Behind a choir, and/or for a basso continuo, it's just what's needed most of the time. And the rest of the time I use Pianoteq, of course ! :-)

Ah! I can imagine these sounding strong over a big speaker system in a large space.

MP3 samples... mp3 examples...

Anyway it did not impressed me.

EvilDragon wrote:

Sound samples, or they should've better said "examples"

http://www.virtualorgancompany.com/virt...amples.asp

Hi Modartt, any chance of a sneak preview of the Pianoteq 5 sound, the same way you did when version 4 came out?

Yes Jake, but a "positief" (also named "choir"...) is not conceived to be a "strong" sound anyway. Then, what I did sometimes is to create 2 VST instances, one of them an octave lower, so you can detune it slightly and have a deeper sound. EZ.

getting back to the main subject again.. any specific date for the release?
Oh and I second @DonSmith with the sneak preview

it will cost you nothing to dream, and everything not to..

Just a short post to let you all know that we are as eager as you to see version 5 released! There are still quite a few details to fix, but we should definitely be ready before the end of May.

Is the YC5 totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model, or is it a simple import? I ask this because the YC5 sounds dated in V4. I can hear its V2ness shining through with unrefined L-mode simulation and incredible sustain with zero unison.

Are the V4 models reworked, rebuilt, or simply imported?

Reworked.

Hard work and guts!

lowendtheory wrote:

Is the YC5 totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model, or is it a simple import? I ask this because the YC5 sounds dated in V4. I can hear its V2ness shining through with unrefined L-mode simulation and incredible sustain with zero unison.

Are the V4 models reworked, rebuilt, or simply imported?

The YC5 is totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model. The other V4 models are somewhere between rebuilt and reworked.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

The YC5 is totally rebuilt from the ground up as a V5 model. The other V4 models are somewhere between rebuilt and reworked.

Since, I'm assuming, there will still be legacy versions of these models, they should all (including previous) go in a separate category in the patches list for organization. Having them is great for older projects, but I probably wouldn't go back to them for a new project as I'd most likely choose between the latest models.  That way it looks much cleaner just looking at one version (the latest) of each piano.

Can't wait for all of these reworked/rebuilt and new pianos!

violoncellemuse wrote:
Philippe Guillaume wrote:

Since, I'm assuming, there will still be legacy versions of these models, they should all (including previous) go in a separate category in the patches list for organization. Having them is great for older projects, but I probably wouldn't go back to them for a new project as I'd most likely choose between the latest models.  That way it looks much cleaner just looking at one version (the latest) of each piano.

Can't wait for all of these reworked/rebuilt and new pianos!

We provide legacy instruments for those instruments that are not maintained (for example C3 from version 3). For those that are maintained/improved, a legacy version would be in conflict with the new one (same name), but there is always the simple solution to load Pianoteq 4.

Isn't K2 a complete rebuilt from K1?  Or just reworked?

If YC5 sounded as natural a the actual U4...  It wll be breathtaking.

K2 is completely different from K1.

Hard work and guts!

Forgive to push too much...

But... Is K2 the best model now in terms of piano sound naturality?

EvilDragon wrote:

K2 is completely different from K1.

demo ... demo ... demo ...

paolopiano wrote:

Just let MODARTT finish their job.

Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Beto-Music wrote:

Which model will suit you best is something you will be able to decide when it's out.

Last edited by EvilDragon (08-04-2014 08:38)
Hard work and guts!

Ok... but I suspect the smile of yours indicates the new version it's very good.

EvilDragon wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Which model will suit you best is something you will be able to decide when it's out.

Like kids in the back seat of the car, while on a road, asking:  "Dad... when we will arrive???

Kridlatec wrote:
paolopiano wrote:

Just let MODARTT finish their job.

Last edited by Beto-Music (08-04-2014 13:33)