Topic: More pipes ?
Would you vote for more types of pipes? Maybe made of different materials like wood, glass or - stone ?
Would you vote for more types of pipes? Maybe made of different materials like wood, glass or - stone ?
In wind instruments, the material of the tube is of minimal importance; what produces the sound is the column of air inside it, so I don’t think it’s worth introducing that variable.
What does matter is the shape of that column—conical or cylindrical—and the way that air is set into vibration, whether directly with the lips, as in the flute, or by means of reeds (clarinet, saxophone), or with the lips on a mouthpiece (trumpet, trombone).
This is where Airteq really has a lot of ground to cover, because—just like luthiers who craft actual instruments—Airteq’s creators can experiment with these parameters, and I’m sure they’re doing so right now. That’s where Airteq’s future is taking shape, starting from the very beginning where we are now. Happy tweaking!!
Would you vote for more types of pipes? Maybe made of different materials like wood, glass or - stone ?
Thanks a lot for the input jmanrique!
Would you vote for more types of pipes? Maybe made of different materials like wood, glass or - stone ?
You may be interested to consider VariFlute by Audio Modeling. It allows to change pipe materials and some other parameters.
You may be interested to consider VariFlute by Audio Modeling. It allows to change pipe materials and some other parameters.
I bought this for the iPad (much, much cheaper than for Mac or PC ???) as I await Airteq's move over to iPad to use with my new toy - the Artinoise re.corder.
Getting the bluetooth only re.corder on iPad to play nice with Cubase on the old Mac is a challenge due to lag, plus my inexperience with the the 'instrument' blah, blah
Here's my initial experiment ... I turned off the response to re.corder's internal gyroscopes so I could just hear what breath control does and I find the upper notes a bit harsh (that's probably me) - I will have to experiment. I'm only really interested in the controller connectivity at this stage will try it with Airteq on the Mac and see what I can get ...
Well ... part two.
Airteq installed and using the re.corder to play a simple principal flue we get ...
Part two bis ...
Using a combo of flue that will respond differently to re.corder wind
Oh, very interesting! So the sounds are actually from the MIDI flute itself? To play sounds like that, I used to use my VL70-m, then SWAM, and now I'm also trying out Airteq. I use a Yamaha BC2, it's very old but it still works! I was tempted to buy that flute, although I prefer to keep my hands free for the keyboard (I'm a keyboardist, what can I say?).
What interests me the most about breath controllers is what you absolutely cannot do any other way than by blowing, which is tongue articulation (tuu tuu tktktk tuuuu, flutter tongue, etc.). For slow dynamic control (crescendo or diminuendo), I almost prefer using pedals or the mod wheel; if I do it by blowing, I always end up needing to edit it later because it doesn't turn out quite right (I'm a keyboardist, what can I say?)
dainiak wrote:You may be interested to consider VariFlute by Audio Modeling. It allows to change pipe materials and some other parameters.
I bought this for the iPad (much, much cheaper than for Mac or PC ???) as I await Airteq's move over to iPad to use with my new toy - the Artinoise re.corder.
Getting the bluetooth only re.corder on iPad to play nice with Cubase on the old Mac is a challenge due to lag, plus my inexperience with the the 'instrument' blah, blah
Here's my initial experiment ... I turned off the response to re.corder's internal gyroscopes so I could just hear what breath control does and I find the upper notes a bit harsh (that's probably me) - I will have to experiment. I'm only really interested in the controller connectivity at this stage will try it with Airteq on the Mac and see what I can get ...
So the sounds are actually from the MIDI flute itself? Mac or PC ???)
You were listening to SWAM VariFlute on a Mac/iPad combo. All subsequent demos are Airteq. The re.corder’s only sound is a weak acoustic soprano recorder if you take the window plug out.
On the question of dynamics you can use the breath pressure to control the air to change the timbre and the volume to give good results. I found setting this for use with Artinoise fairly successful. I also used the breath to do vibrato, though you could also map the controller’s sensors for MPE X, Y and Z too …