Re: Pianoteq 8 just been released 16.11.2022

Yes, maybe not the reverb engine itself, but it sure seems better integrated. I haven't felt the need to try an external reverb yet, but I dare say I'll get around to it eventually, even if only for curiousity.
As for the amount of vitriol that's been thrown at the classical guitar - well, I'm totally bewildered. I suppose some people would moan if we got a Fazioli, just because it's not a Bosendorfer. I mean, come on, we're already awash with superb piano models!

Viridis wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

Two new features I like...

1. We can toggle back and forth between the old interface and the new one.

That is indeed a very good feature, since I dislike the new look.
But, how to toggle forth between the old interface and the new one?

[Edit] After a second and more thorough look, I can say, that I actually like the new interface. There's always room for improvement. But that is a very individual thing, since people differ in what they like.

In the "window" drop down menu, click on "use compact" to go to the new GUI or the opposite to go to the old one. There is also a shortcut to go back and forth, but I'd have to look at it to remember and I'm not at my computer now.

i'm having a great time with the guitar, and am looking forward to other products like this (steel-string, sitar, giant mariachi guitars, ...) that said, i definitely want more pianos.  how many pianos is too many? trick question, no amount of pianos is too many.  Boesendorfer, Fazioli, Stuart and Sons, Mason and Hamlin, Baldwin, Charles Walter, ... like Verucca in Willy Wonka, I want it all!

Haha, well, I'm not saying that I won't be tempted when a new piano does come along, because I know I will!

A nice Baldwin baby grand piano would be nice.

Now that they made a guitar when is are the Mandolin and Banjo coming out 

I bet Philippe is laughing very hard too. But intead of enjoy with pop corn he enjoys with good old french croissants.

;-)

Key Fumbler wrote:
Chopin87 wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

I see some of the the folks over at Pianoclack forum strongly disagree (I'm not a member there). They seem to think we our a bunch of easily pleased hive mind chumps but if the Kool-Aid tastes this good bring it on!

The disagreement was a few pages ago now we're on "The equations are wrong and pianos are not modelled" page. LMAO, I love the internet!

LOL, damn I missed a bit.  I will get the popcorn!

Beto-Music wrote:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads...teq-8.html

Mixed reactions, but many found good changes in sound. The haters... they always gonna hate.

It's interesting how far re-voicing can go, in terms of achieve a more natural tone sound, sometimes can be compared, in terms of quality refinement, to a new algorithim for soundboard. For other side some people can get confused, like new buyers, as this may lead them to think the quality will drop a lot if they change settings just a bit, as the main adjust window interface is called Voicing. So I believe it's portant a note to distinguish the voicing upgrades from the Voicing adjust sliders, as the upgrades it's about very distint adjusts, way more sophisticated, present only fod the programing plataform.

I wish Phillppe could shine us with some words about how they brought the voicing to this level of advanced quality.  :-)

Question:

Is that possible to Moddart adjust the classic guitar to sound close to Elvis guitar?

https://countryrebel.com/wp-content/upl...35x413.jpg

I read through many of the posts in the PianoWorld thread and have to say I'm stunned by the viciousness of many of the comments. It really seems insane to me. Plus, long portions of the thread focus on minutiae... Like "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?". An example being a long debate about whether the pedal noises are sampled or modeled. Also the exact meaning of " physical " -- i.e., trying to prove that PTQs claim to be "physically modeled" is a lie. Of course, the explanation posed by some that PTQ models the sound created by the physical instrument was deemed unsatisfactory. Really -- who cares! Isn't this supposed to be about music? PTQ is a miracle. I only persisted in reading out of a kind of sick fascination. But it's as bad as a lot of the conspiracy theory crap I avoid in the news.

Kramster1 wrote:

Wow it is awesome!! Wish I could have kept all the pianos I have in 7  into 8...had them all

You SHOULD have them all!  If you don't, you may have accidentally purchased 8.0 as if it were new, rather than an upgrade.  Get in touch with support and they will straighten everything out for you. You are not the only one who had this happen.

I have Studio and after installing the upgrade for 8.0 I also had to download Studio so that I had the upgraded models for everything.  Upgrading involves two downloads, but they would both be listed if you had upgraded properly.

Anyway, support will help you fix it.

BarbaraRB wrote:
Kramster1 wrote:

Wow it is awesome!! Wish I could have kept all the pianos I have in 7  into 8...had them all

You SHOULD have them all!  If you don't, you may have accidentally purchased 8.0 as if it were new, rather than an upgrade.  Get in touch with support and they will straighten everything out for you. You are not the only one who had this happen.

I have Studio and after installing the upgrade for 8.0 I also had to download Studio so that I had the upgraded models for everything.  Upgrading involves two downloads, but they would both be listed if you had upgraded properly.

Hi Barbara,
Kramster acknowledged his mistake and contacted Modartt.

Kramster1 wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
Kramster1 wrote:

Ill try to figure it out ... when registered 8 I had to pick 3 instrument packs ... i picked guitar and 2 I had already  Petrof and Steinways.. my favorites  so at least I have them... sound so freakin' good...

If I understand you correctly you have accidentally bought an entirely new licence rather than upgrading an existing one. Therefore you have needlessly bought your existing products yet again.

The upgrade 7-8 is €29. All your existing packs should be available to you. You don't have to buy them again!
I suggest you contact Modartt support and tell them what you've done. Maybe you can transfer the funds to some more piano packs instead?

Yup... some how I did that ... I have been upgrading since version 5  and never messed it up ... always something Ill try to figure out the up grade somehow.. I sent email to Modartt ..I am not worried as I know they will fix it ..mean while loving it!   And yes $29 would be nicer than the $201.75..ha...

Key Fumbler wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:
Kramster1 wrote:

Hi Barbara,
Kramster acknowledged his mistake and contacted Modartt.

Kramster1 wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

If I understand you correctly you have accidentally bought an entirely new licence rather than upgrading an existing one. Therefore you have needlessly bought your existing products yet again.

The upgrade 7-8 is €29. All your existing packs should be available to you. You don't have to buy them again!
I suggest you contact Modartt support and tell them what you've done. Maybe you can transfer the funds to some more piano packs instead?

Yup... some how I did that ... I have been upgrading since version 5  and never messed it up ... always something Ill try to figure out the up grade somehow.. I sent email to Modartt ..I am not worried as I know they will fix it ..mean while loving it!   And yes $29 would be nicer than the $201.75..ha...

Sorry... Didn't see it. Our messages must have crossed.

Piet De Ridder wrote:

It’s very easy: load an instance of Pianoteq 8 and on another track load an instance of the instrument that you want to use for ‘triggering’ the sympathetic resonances in Pianoteq. In Pianoteq, select as Side Chain that second instrument.

I havn’t found this option « in Pianoteq ». I guess you have found it on a strip from the DAW (Logic) just above the Pianoteq window.

Depending of the DAW, the way to route one track to an other may vary. In Reaper, I did manage to link two Pianoteq with the route buttons, but I guess it would be simpler to have both VST on the same track (Reaper would then send the first VST output to the second VST input).

One question : does it works on the Stage version (I did menage to use it on the Demo/Standard version).

I guess that the Pianoteq which enhances the sound with resonance should not have a MIDI input (or else it will add its own sound), then how this could work well with the pedal (which must change the way resonance are generated) ?

Last edited by floyer (20-11-2022 00:02)

floyer wrote:

I guess that the Pianoteq which enhances the sound with resonance should not have a MIDI input (or else it will add its own sound), then how this could work well with the pedal (which must change the way resonance are generated) ?

There's a few ways to do this.  My favourite so far is to give Pianoteq a MIDI input, but set the velocity curve to be zero (horizontal line at the bottom).  Then you can pedal, half pedal, or press keys to lift individual dampers as you please.

BarbaraRB wrote:

In the "window" drop down menu, click on "use compact" to go to the new GUI or the opposite to go to the old one. There is also a shortcut to go back and forth, but I'd have to look at it to remember and I'm not at my computer now.

I can go for compact, but this still is the new interface.
There's no option to toggle to the old one.

Have a nice day & happy playin'

Yamaha CP33 -- Scarlett 2i2 -- Yamaha HS7 / Sennheiser HD650 -- PTQ 7 Std [Linux/OSX] -- Some instruments

Viridis wrote:
BarbaraRB wrote:

I can go for compact, but this still is the new interface.
There's no option to toggle to the old one.

On my computer, if I'm in compact (the new GUI) the menu lists the original one instead. I'm not at the computer now and don't remember the terminology.

Jope wrote:
Fleer wrote:
Jope wrote:

Just bought the update to v8, because I am convinced Pianoteq and the idea of physical modeling is great.
I read most user like its sound better than before. I read "less metallic", "rounded", "more wood"... Hm. I love the K2 which I use in my current Logic project, and I copied the piano track and inserted Pianoteq 8 instead of 7. My first impression was: The sound lacks brilliance. I compared the settings rather pedantically but found no difference. I just miss some steel and elegance in shape, it sounds more synthetical to me... Maybe I can compensate it a little bit by adjusting the hammer hardness or so.

Well, as it happens K2 indeed is a synthetic model, meaning it doesn’t exist IRL.

Not my point. I know there is no real K2. I am saying it sounds not as brilliant as the K2 of Pianoteq 7 does.

Not my point either. Just pulling your leg

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Sorry if this has been asked before, but have all the demos on the website been re-rendered with pianoteq 8?

srodrigo wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but have all the demos on the website been re-rendered with pianoteq 8?

That's a good question, do the demo track creators give Modartt their MIDI files and separate backing tracks individually, or just a completed wav file?

Perhaps they just re-record the solo piano/instrument tracks?

Last edited by Key Fumbler (21-11-2022 11:23)

Key Fumbler wrote:
srodrigo wrote:

That's a good question, do the demo track creators give Modartt their MIDI files and separate backing tracks individually, or just a completed wav file?

I'd imagine they provide the MIDIs and Pianoteq just re-record them with the new presets. But even then, not sure whether this has been done already.

srodrigo wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:
srodrigo wrote:

I'd imagine they provide the MIDIs and Pianoteq just re-record them with the new presets. But even then, not sure whether this has been done already.

I wonder if they modify the most modern solo tracks but leave old sound demos alone?

https://www.modartt.com/celeste
This first track was made with Piano K1. We've been on K2 I think since version 5. If Modartt were able to modify all of the tracks why would they leave up a K1 track?

Key Fumbler wrote:
srodrigo wrote:
Key Fumbler wrote:

I wonder if they modify the most modern solo tracks but leave old sound demos alone?

https://www.modartt.com/celeste
This first track was made with Piano K1. We've been on K2 I think since version 5. If Modartt were able to modify all of the tracks why would they leave up a K1 track?

Good point. I don't know then Maybe something to feedback to them, keeping the demos up-to-date.

srodrigo wrote:

There are some particular cases, but in general and in short, for all instruments being revoiced, we have re-recorded the demos that we recorded ourselves in the past, and Piet De Ridder has done the same on his side.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
srodrigo wrote:

There are some particular cases, but in general and in short, for all instruments being revoiced, we have re-recorded the demos that we recorded ourselves in the past, and Piet De Ridder has done the same on his side.

Thanks Philippe for confirming!

Excellent job BTW, you folks rock. Thank you for this update.