Re: Pianoteq 7 on Raspberry Pi 400 -- with iPad as interface!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks you so much for all this wonderful information. I'm trying to make up a similar setup for my Kawai keyboard, I have a Pi400 setup with a MOTU M2. However I cannot get the MOTU M2 to make a noise!   It appears to be connecting ok, and it also works fine on my Macbook - just not on the Pi for some reason. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
It doesn't seem to output audio from anything VLC etc...

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 7/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: M2 [M2], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any-help would be gratefully received as I've spent a good while trying to get this sorted now

Thanks!

Jonny T wrote:

Hi Everyone,
...It appears to be connecting ok, and it also works fine on my Macbook - just not on the Pi for some reason.

It turns out that my kernel was not new enough... so did an rpi update:
"sudo rpi-update"

Just catching up on this whole thread and have to say I love this! I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (with 64bit Pi OS) and a HiFiBerry DAC + enclosure, and now I'm going to see if I can get the headless Pianoteq + VNC setup that navindra has sorted out. Will let you all know what my experience is on that front once I get going. Glad to find some like-minded people here!

am really tempted to try out the Raspberry Pi, too.
Just so that I can stay signed out from the computer that i use for work at home.

rtxanson wrote:

Just catching up on this whole thread and have to say I love this! I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (with 64bit Pi OS) and a HiFiBerry DAC + enclosure, and now I'm going to see if I can get the headless Pianoteq + VNC setup that navindra has sorted out. Will let you all know what my experience is on that front once I get going. Glad to find some like-minded people here!

Hi,

If you are going with an headless option I suggest that you give the little app a try.  It will allow you to control your Pianoteq instance from your phone or iPad without having to VNC it.  I found it to be easier to make instrument changes and some slight tweaks with the app.  It does not replace the need for VNC when you need to go deep in the tweaking but for day-to-day playing, it serves me well.

Github repo : https://github.com/robert-rc2i/ptq-client-webapp

Note: I wrote this app, so I am a bit biased

Cheers

Sordess
Author of PTQ Client Webapp: (https://github.com/robert-rc2i/ptq-client-webapp)
Kawai CA79

sordess wrote:

Note: I wrote this app, so I am a bit biased

Great app! Occurred to me that you could probably easily run this on some small e-paper tablet for a low power keyboard control. It's way more high contrast than the pianoteq desktop app, thus would work well! Plus, probably more screen reader accessible.

https://youtu.be/q-QO6ZIOC2E

The scene opens with the performer approaching a majestic Petrof P237 Monsoon acoustic grand piano.

The feed cuts abruptly to the performer at home with no Petrof piano, but instead equipped with a simulation of an Ant. Petrof 275 acoustic grand piano.

The piano simulation is powered by Pianoteq 7.5.4 running on a concealed Raspberry Pi 400 and a Kawai Novus NV10 with a Millennium III grand piano action. The interface is featured gloriously on an iPad, acting both as a piano visualizer and controller device. This is a luxury, since Pianoteq can be controlled directly from the Novus.

The system works wonderfully, with superb playability on the grand action, and fabulous sound experienced via the Novus. The integrated woofer brings the bass to life. Pianoteq is shown effortlessly modeling an Ant. Petrof while capturing the performance.

The twist is that the piano is not actually in equal temperament, but tuned to Kirnberger III temperament. This is a risky choice on the part of the performer, though perhaps, the stakes are not so high. Sarah McLachlan recorded Last Dance on a random out-of-tune upright piano, but here, the virtual piano has been very deliberately configured with a historical tuning, employing technology that did not exist in 1997.

Let's leave the technical mumbo-jumbo aside and allow for some musical storytelling.

The poor ballerina collapses. She gets up gingerly and resumes a gentle dance. That was almost the end of her story.

Throughout the piece, the performer has been pedaling mercilessly and the virtual piano strings have been resonating, painting a rich musical tapestry. For a brief moment of Zen, that pedal is released, while the dancer reassesses.

Her life is meaningless without dance.

We take a moment to enjoy the deep bass of the Ant. Petrof and crystalline clarity of the treble. This even inspires our tiny dancer to improvise a few steps that were not quite part of the original choreography.

The ballerina grows bolder. She outdoes herself in what turns out to be her last hurrah. Her heart gives and she collapses. She never rises again. She had always loved flowers.

End credits are shown. The performer reaches out and deliberately halts the piano simulation.

The feed cuts back to reality. The performer takes a bow.

Last edited by navindra (26-07-2022 05:49)

navindra wrote:

https://youtu.be/q-QO6ZIOC2E

The scene opens with the performer,,,. The performer takes a bow.

Love the performance and your theatrical description!  Thx for this.

Sordess

Sordess
Author of PTQ Client Webapp: (https://github.com/robert-rc2i/ptq-client-webapp)
Kawai CA79