Re: Adding a Transducer to a piano's Soundboard

Well, I see by the first forum post in this thread that I've been shying away from this project for four years.  I guess that I've been afraid to do something that would permanently harm my piano, as old and beat-up as it is.  But my inspiration has been the Yamaha TransAcoustics, which are super-cool to play, and the Steingraeber hybrid electro-acoustic pianos (though I've never seen one in real life).

Anyway, with some home remodeling going on, I had occasion to move my piano out in to the middle of the room, thus making its soundboard accessible, as well as needing to remove the two monitor speakers and subwoofer (my auxiliary speakers just got placed on top so I can still use them).  This gave me the excuse that I needed to start figuring out the best ways to attach transducers to the soundboard, to see if I can have a modeled piano sound like a real piano, and thus do away with the large monitor speakers that normally flank the sides of the piano (not present in the photos today).

I have several Dayton Audio emitters ( https://www.daytonaudio.com/topic/excitersbuyerguide ) that I purchased, so my first trial was very simple:  I had one weatherproof transducer that has a screw-mount (HDN-8), so I just screwed it directly into one of the ribs on the bass side of the soundboard on the back of the piano, driving it with Dayton's SA-98E amplifier.  The results are encouraging, but this is no Yamaha TransAcoustic so far:  the sounds are piano-like, but a bit brash, especially in the treble, where the sustain rings forever, possibly from the heavy transducer attached to the rib.  And there's an echoic quality that speakers don't have.  I had to go to the Grotrian Player to find a soft enough piano to not give acrid mid and treble tones, but the examples that I recorded were with the Steinway Model B (which is acoustically the closest to what my piano sounds like itself).

Here are photos in a Google Album (captions have been added to the "info" field):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJWaVQwidwcm9i3AA

And here are two videos, one showing the comparison of the acoustic versus the transducer-driven mids and bass, and the other showing the treble (the iPhone videos do not demonstrate the acoustic differences as well as I would have liked):

Bass and mid:     https://photos.app.goo.gl/qZUXbp3EEpTp9rxh6
Treble:     https://photos.app.goo.gl/FDmsvvri6nNv1sJ57

These are some other findings and thoughts:

i) The sound comes from behind the piano.  This may seem obvious, since I'm driving the soundboard from the back, but I didn't realize that having the acoustic action enabled (stop bar disengaged) produces a sound that is much more 'forward' than the current transducer position.  I somehow thought that most piano sound emits centrally from the soundboard, no matter how it is driven.

ii) The sound isn't as broad when driven by a single transducer as compared to being driven by a hammer-struck string.  For some reason, even though the whole soundboard is resonating, the sound appears more localized.  Another thing that should have been obvious, but somehow I didn't expect in real life.

iii) The initial percussion of the hammer hitting the string isn't the same.  While we are driving the soundboard with a transducer, just like in an acoustic piano, we are not really driving the strings, except by resonance off the soundboard.  So it's like a piano in reverse.  It's not as correct-sounding an emulation as I would have hoped.

I am looking for experience and guidance from anyone who can help.  Here are some topics of concern:

1)  What's the best way to attach the transducers?  My first attempt used a screw-peg, screwed into one of the soundboard's ribs.  Yamaha attaches the transducer to the piano's frame, and then has the moving coil drive the soundboard through a separate lightweight point actuator.  I don't know how Steingraeber deals with this issue, but their photos suggest that the tansducers are mounted to the soundboard.  I have in my photos an experiment with hot melt glue with a transducer that I mounted to a test board several years ago and then removed today with rubbing alcohol - with little damage to the wood after removal.

2) Should the transducers be mounted to a rib or to the soundboard itself?  I don't know how piano soundboards work, but there must be some sound transmitted through the string to bridge and string to agraffe connections, as well as sound driven through vibrations in the air from the string to the soundboard.

3) Where should the soundboard be driven?  Dayton Audio recommends a 2/5-3/5 relationship on linear panel dimensions.  I don't know how this corresponds to traditional piano string and soundboard setup.

4) What transducers would you recommend?   I have several from Dayton, plus some beefy wall-mount transducers from Hidden Audio Systems (Model 401, made to drive drywall sheets making up a wall of a home, for example: https://hiddenaudiosystems.com/ ).

5) What about the amplifier?  Will I hear much different sound from a more powerful amp than the small Dayton Audio amp?

6) Related to the amplifier question, I seem to get different clarity/less harsh tones by varying the relationship of Pianoteq Volume to Amplifier setting, more than I would predict would make much difference (since I'm not driving this to levels of audio distortion).

Anyway, that's a lot for one forum post.  My next experiments will likely be gluing several different sized and shaped Dayton Audio emitters to different parts of the soundboard, and then driving each one independently.

I am interested in any ideas that you have for this project.

Addendum - I made one other change tonight:  SInce I got annoyed that the Volume was not freezing appropriately between presets when I clicked the check-mark in the Freeze section for Volume, I allowed Pianoteq to play at 100% volume, and reduced the amplifier to about 30%.  Surprisingly, this reduced some of the bloom (despite the overall output sound volume being the same), but it didn't reduce the bloom enough.  I guess that this suggests that a better quality amplifier may help, though not cure the problems.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dklein (28-11-2022 05:05)
- David

dklein wrote:

I am interested in any ideas that you have for this project.

After seeing many people doing similar projects (mostly to build "ultimate" speakers out of trash material), I tried this both with "trash material" and with the soundboard of my beaten, old baby grand.

My conclusion was that life is too short for this and I gave up: speakers are good enough for me. Not that I am encouraging you to follow me on that! On the contrary, just warning you of a possible long and difficult journey, so you collect enough motivation to crack this nut and potentially teach us all the secrets of this! To reinforce you in this journey, consider that many people on PW claim that the Kawai NV5 sounds better than the NV10 (the former has wooden soundboard with exciters, the latter has speakers, despite being the "upper model"). So soundboard can be better, if you can figure out "how" like Kawai has done.

I don't know what Yamaha and Kawai and Steingraeber (all of which do similar things in their acoustic and for Kawai digital pianos too) do. But I suspect they don't simply try to attach a random exciter in a random place of the soundboard (as I did myself). I suspect they do careful analysis such as the one described at

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/researc...imulation/

An idea would be to reach out to some owners of the NV5 and see if they are willing to share the dimensions of that soundboard, number, location and brand of the exciters, and other information which can provide useful insights.

Great work David! I applaud all the efforts you make to attain your goal and document it so well.

I'm in no way such a tinkerer, so I will just offer a few remarks. From the sound of your bass notes example, it seems a large resonance from your physical soundboard is excited by some keys and added to the tone, less so in the treble example, where the harp is more the problem. I guess also the Pianoteq soundboard simulation is superposed on top so you get two soundboards in a way.

Since it's not possible to turn off the Pianoteq soundboard (unless the version that runs on the real transducer-operated Steingraeber does so) I suppose some tweaking of the soundboard parameters may help to reduce that effect, and also the exaggerated harp. I don't know if you did some or just used a Steinway B preset as is.

The Yamaha demo posted by dv also show that the sound moves around a lot in the soundboard, as the exaggerated image shows, but seems most powerful in the center, so maybe you should rather avoid the center to alleviate the double soundboard (Steingraeber seems to avoid it as seen in the photos)

The transducer-operated Steingraeber is not that much better than what you are obtaining as far as I can tell, so maybe it still is a trial and test ad hoc procedure with each instrument.

Your acoustic piano sounds great by the way!

Last edited by Gilles (27-11-2022 18:58)

Very interesting!
And if you try to use several emitters installed in different places on the deck?

@dv - I am afraid that you are correct - speakers are pretty darned good, especially big heavy ones that are well-powered and can move great gobs of air.  But I'll continue on my little research and development project for at least a while, albeit not as scientifically as I could be doing.

@Gilles - I believe that you are correct on the 'double soundboard' problem - perhaps that's part of the cause of the 'blooming' that I'm hearing in my trials.  Kind of like a picture of a picture - it exaggerates all of the flaws of the exposure.

@scherbakov - read on...

-----------------

OK, folks - here's what I did next:  Since the hot melt glue appears to work to hold the transducers, and appears to be removable by soaking the interface in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, I distributed my multiple emitters/transducers/exciters around the soundboard in the back, placing the lightweight ones on the treble side, and the heavier ones on the bass side.  I tried to stick close to the rule of 40%/60% (2/5-3/5) in linear position from the top to the bottom and from one side to the other side, as suggested by the Dayton Audio company in their positioning guidelines.  Here are videos of all five, including two videos of the Hidden Audio 401, since it had a buzzing sound at first:

DAEX32EP-4 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/BbyfrdA33hWZFQXZ7
DAEX32QMB-4 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/6EaeNACYXzrnuMuo9
DAEX30HESF-4 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/hmQGAFtz7ukHgqBN7
DAEX25SHF-4  - https://photos.app.goo.gl/g6tqredJx7zvzCuf9
Hidden Audio 401 Pt. 1 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/H8LCu9BL3VG6XbmV8
Hidden Audio 401 Pt. 2 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcgNJqKiDuUoqyrbA

(The Hidden Audio 401 is made to attach with a screw, similar to the Dayton Audio HDN-8, except the Hidden Audio 401 has a threaded coupling for a screw to be threaded into it.  The attachment point is too narrow of a stalk to glue, so I attached the transducer to a 3" disk of composite material through which there is a screw to bind it to the transducer, and then I glued that composite mounting plate to the soundboard.  On the first trial, I had it screwed down pretty tight, which produced a buzzing noise.  I then screwed it tighter, which made the buzzing noise worse.  When I then loosened it, the buzzing went away.  Weird.  The opposite of what I would have expected.)

Those above trials were done with only one channel out from the amplifier feeding the single transducer, with Pianoteq using the Steinway Model B in Player mode, and feeding Monophonic output (so that the one microphone gets the entire output of the piano).  After that, I connect the Left output of the amplifier to the Hidden Audio 401 on the bass side, and the Right output of the amplifier to the DAEX32QMB-4 on the treble side, changing the Model B's output to Player preset:

Combined two transducers: https://photos.app.goo.gl/R9gVLQNc1PeFKHpg6

So, at the end of today's experiment, where am I?

1)  I have hope, but am not pleased with what I've got at this point - as DV suggested, good speakers are great!

2)  I like the concept of not having speakers on either side of the piano - it's fun to hear the piano's sound from the piano, even though it doesn't sound like a piano yet.

3)  Blooming of the tone, with long sustain, especially on the treble notes, is the main problem currently.  Though I might make things better by substituting an even smaller transducer at the treble end, part of the problem now is that even when just the bass-side transducer is playing, there still is a long-sustain blooming sound in the treble.

4)  As Gilles suggested, part of the problem may be that I'm playing a soundboard sound through another soundboard, thus exaggerating the soundboard's role in the long sustain and blooming character.

5)  If I can separate the treble from the bass tones between the right and left channels, then I can drive the treble transducer only with treble, and the left transducer only with bass.  Right now, even in Stereophonic mode, each Left and Right microphone/channel gets combined bass and treble signal.

6)  I don't know how Yamaha succeeded with their TransAcoustic, but it sounds pretty good.  I know that Steingraeber succeeded using Pianoteq, but I don't know how - I'm curious as to how they avoided the blooming and excess sustain.  Does anyone know?  Philippe? Julien? Niclas?

So, time to go to bed and go off to work tomorrow.  I hope that one or more of you have some guidance as to what my next steps should be...

David

- David

Very interesting David. I think a great advantage of using transducers is to be able to feed the piano soundboard with various instruments (electric pianos, vibes, etc.), switch to the natural piano sound, and possibly play both together, as for example for boosting the bass range. The main point to address is likely to have a correct equalisation (as of course the soundboard response is nothing but flat, and varies from place to place). What could be interesting is to insert a mixing device between your computer output and the transducers, that lets you equalize separately each transducer input and adjust its level.

Yes, Philippe, the sound of the non-piano instruments becomes quite colored by the large reverberating wooden soundboard.  Church bells sound pretty good, I must say, but the guitar completely lacks it's usual crispness.  I agree that compositing ('layering' like in Pianoteq itself) a Rhodes electric piano with the piano's normal acoustic output is one of the added features, as Yamaha promotes with their TransAcoustic.  But I was more taken by the fact that their electronically driven soundboard was pretty good as a piano, and playing both the acoustic piano action with the CFX-derived signal made for one big piano sound!

Perhaps some of the long sustain comes from the mass of the added transducers, but I'm not sure.  I know that my piano has a 'ringing' harp, but a lot of the long sustain signal that I hear is just soundboard, I think.

Do you know what, if anything, Steingraeber did with the Pianoteq signal on its way to the transducers?  If you do not, do you have a contact at Steingraeber that you could refer me to? (Perhaps by private email...)

Thanks!

David

- David

dklein wrote:

Do you know what, if anything, Steingraeber did with the Pianoteq signal on its way to the transducers?  If you do not, do you have a contact at Steingraeber that you could refer me to? (Perhaps by private email...)
David

AFAIK they did what I mentioned in the previous post: EQ.

Regarding the long sustain: even if it is due to the soundboard (which is possible), EQing down the culprit frequency should help I think, as likely the long sustain comes with an increased volume. Alternatively you can treat it in Pianoteq by reducing the impedance of the concerned notes. Other parameter changes that can help: damper duration (reduce it), sympathetic resonances (idem), reverb (disable).

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

AFAIK they did what I mentioned in the previous post: EQ.

An easy way to do good EQ (at least to start) is to feed the exciters some known broadspectrum noise, e.g. white or pink noise.

Then, using a calibrated microphone (there are some for $30 on Amazon for smartphones) analyze the result. There are various spectrum analyzer apps that you can use on a smartphone. If you use a DAW in the computer, you can add an EQ as last stage and modify it until the white/pink noise becomes what is expected on the microphone. Then substitute the noise for Pianoteq et voila' you have a perfectly equalized system.

The devil is in many details: you might need to equalize something at a lower level than possible, or (even worse) higher than possible, with some of the oscillation having too large of an amplitude and touching something creating buzzing of other weird sounds. You may need more frequency resolution that your equalizer (or amplifier, or microphone) supports. And I am sure other devilish details...

Yet, it could e a good starting point. Heck, to begin experimenting, you may even use the normal smartphone microphone rather than the calibrated one (and perhaps calibrate the phone microphone yourself using the pink/white noise fed to decent/good speakers!)

If the exaggerated harp comes from your piano's strings, you could try damping them with felt, as a practice pedal does (or felt strip for tuning) when using Pianoteq only.

I agree with dv, doing a thorough EQ with white/pink noise could be the solution, since you can use many transducers in a mixer to sample the soundboard at different places. Using software designed for room correction of a sound system, that can do complex convolution filtering could be the solution..

That piano must weigh a ton with those huge wood trusses...

@Philippe - good ideas for the EQ and damper duration reduction.  I already have the Reverb "Off".

@Gilles - Not only placing felt onto the strings, but I think that it's time to start placing cloth along the harp itself and see if I can damp the ring - this piano has an excessively long harp ring.  As far as its weight, I remember somewhere reading that this behemoth weights about 870 pounds - almost one half ton.  It's difficult just to move it around the wood floor on the sliders that I put under the wheels.  As for the timbers, I don't know if I should blame the weight on the wood or on the iron harp.  (Kinda reminds me of the song "Tied Down with Battleship Chains" by The Georgia Satellites.)

@dv - I will try to utilize the white noise analysis and see what I can narrow down.  Good thoughts!

- David

Hello,

I also mounted transducers now 3 years ago.
I went with 2 x 40W + 2 x 25W Dayton audio. Each of the 40W transducers is filtered with a dedicated 120 Hz low-pass filter whereas 20W are full band.
I glued them on the left and right for the full band and also L/R for the bass but more centered (under the bridge).
So far happy with the results.
However, I still would like to be able to improve 2 issues :
- transducers - being located at different places - can interfere so that some frequencies will sum up together and others will cancel themselves (I am referring to the total signal amplitude for these frequencies). In my case, around the C2-C3 notes it here is a loss in amplitude that needs to be compensated probably with proper EQing.
- I miss the strike of the hammers - that very direct sound when hammers hit the strings - particularly in the trebles. Maybe additional transducers placed at the same height than the one of the hammers and that would only play the hammer sound, would compensate for that feeling…

Just to let you know also there is a French piano makers (also in Toulouse !) who installs transducers along his own silent system :
https://www.numacoustic.com/

You can see on the pictures where he decided to place the transducers behind the soundboard.

Cheers.

Thanks, Paulo!  Glad to hear that you have had some success.  Also glad to see the photos of the numacoustic.  Furthermore, I, like you, miss the sound of the hammers.  I tried turning up both the hammer noise, as well as the hammer hardness, and neither restored the acute attack 'whack' (Phillippe, I know that has been one of my complaints through the Pianoteq versions, best accomplished in the Steinways and the Bechstein, and currently the least in the Grotrian and the Bluethner).  I turned the hammer noise back down to 1.2 after cranking it all the way up, but I left the hammer hardness up about 30% for each piano, mezzo, and forte.  And, Paulo, the way I have the transducers on the back, it just sounds weird - like I'm always sitting on the wrong side of the piano (even with the top plate open) - perhaps that will improve when I eventually move the transducers to the front, once I know which to use and where I want them.

Philippe, I turned down the sympathetic resonance, which did little.  I then turned down the damper duration: about 0.8 is about right -- good tip.

Ben, I tried adjusting the Strike Point - it just sounded bad, both to the right and to the left.  Perhaps I wasn't delicate enough, but I didn't hear improvement in either direction.

I next started diving into the equalization, which is something that I have not really done much with in the past, so I don't have an innate feel for using these controls.

First, I recorded a baseline image of silence using an iPhone application called FrequenSee:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LKHxtqcHknv86UtW9

Second, I played some White Noise via YouTube (found at the top of "white noise test" search on YouTube):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPpZsLG21ky2y5xF6

Then I looked at the white noise using FrequenSee:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wRtYgD8V24NRy3k59

Although I did not validate the source with some good speakers, for now I'll assume that it is flat, and thus with the current transducers on the soundboard, I have either too little bass or too much treble.

Next, I played an "A - 440" on the piano acoustically:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPPaq3aRid2gYWvj6

Then I played the same "A - 440" on Pianoteq using the basic Model B preset with the Reverb turned off (the best sounding preset thus far):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A6Z26uMDF8rP8XBf8

Looking at this, and thinking about the white noise picture, I then modified the preset by increasing the prime overtone +4 (sounded better), and then used the equalizer to both boost the bass and decrease the treble, looking to lower the signal from 2500 and on up:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoXuJoRCmmnAv6Q99

This sounded better, but perhaps it is too aggressive --  it gave me a signal picture that was closer to the acoustic:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Exf3ukMZi64aiVit9

Looking at the compared images (Acoustic A versus Pianoteq Mod A), I don't need that much bass boost, and I am too early in lowering the treble - I should taper it more so that the bigger cuts don't come until near 4000.  Also, I could come back down on the primary overtone, maybe to +2 or just +1. 

But that's enough for tonight - time to sleep and get up for work tomorrow morning.

Other things that I know of (mostly thanks to Ben) but have not tried yet, and things that are in-the-works:

1) Smaller Transducers - I ordered a couple of 13mm and 19mm coin-type transducers to try on the treble end for a Right Channel in place of the 25mm one that I'm using now.

2)  Microphone position - I have done no work at moving the microphones around the soundboard yet.  Perhaps using Pure Cardioids very close to the treble and the bass sides of the soundboard.

3)  Harp Damping - I am reluctant to damp my strings on the physical piano, as I want to preserve the acoustic option when the Stop Bar is disengaged, and I haven't figured out how to damp the iron harp itself - this may require more piano disassembly and lots of towels.  Or maybe it can't easily be done, after all the harp is built to sing!

4)  Haven't played with Impedance, Cutoff, or Q-Factor yet.

5)  Haven't altered Direct Sound Duration yet.

6)  Haven't adjusted Resonance EQ or Durations yet.

7)  Ben, I tried your preset that you made 'blind'.  I made a recording of where I am at the end of my changes listed above (many of which I need to back partially away from) versus your preset that you made for me (totally blind, and from the opposite ends of the earth!).  It sounds like a prepared piano, for sure, David Klavins-esque, but it has some good ideas that I need to work with:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AXu2YGJvwyWcQLtJ7

Good night, all, and thanks for helping immensely in my years-old hybrid piano project.

:-)

David

- David

Is there some issue with the transducers being mounted to the soundboard? I would think you have some sort of Newtonian issue, so to speak. The transducers are trying to move the soundboard, and so the soundboard is trying to move the transducers, but they're both attached and differ in mass greatly. So you now have a weird oscillator that's waving its exciter around. If they were on their own thing they wouldn't be waving around and trying to vibrate the soundboard at the same time.

You also might want to inspect your contraption with the FFT thing and a synth, namely one that can output sine waves. A perfect sine has only one frequency component, so its FFT is a narrow spike. That might reveal additional details about your thing, especially when you play more than one note at once.

It'd be interesting if somebody did this with a bank of analog bandpass filters before each transducer, so each one only gets a certain part of the spectrum. Calibrating such a device would suck bit time I bet.

The interesting thing about this is you sort of transduce twice, virtually, before you do so in real life. Virtual soundboard, and virtual mics or the virtual head. I guess it depends on how their model works.

Last edited by molecular_orbital (29-11-2022 06:58)

@molecular_orbital - Yes, I have wondered about how the magnets of transducers sit 'free in space' while their coils move, attached to the driven surface, which can be quite rigid.  I don't know significant this issue is, with the tail essentially wagging the dog.  The larger Hidden Audio 401 and the Dayton Audio HDN-8 are even more unusual here, as they are inside rigid sealed enclosures, so any relative motion of magnet and coil must take place unseen within their substance.

The photos of the Steingraeber piano show the transducers just applied to the soundboard's surface, but the Yamaha is unique in that the transducers (different from what I have found available for purchase) are rigidly mounted to the piano's frame, leaving only lightweight actuators presumably attached to the coil that are then connected to the soundboard.  This greatly reduces the 'residual waving' Newtonian problem that you describe, as well as keeping the mass of the transducer from 'weighing-down' the soundboard itself, both leading to quicker changes in both the start and stop of an applied signal.

As for oscillators and fast fourier transform analysis, I am afraid that such analysis is currently outside my gadget collection and beyond my skillset.

- David

I made some other incremental improvements this morning before I had to leave for work:

1) changed the last damped note to 93 (matched that of my acoustic piano)

2) lowered my bass boost and lessened my treble cuts:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/waqe4PA8WuTts9d89

3) reduced Soundboard Impedance to 0.80 (made a big difference)

....now I need to find a way to lessen the actual physical harp ruing, which will help both the acoustic and the modeled piano.  :-)

- David

dklein wrote:

This sounded better, but perhaps it is too aggressive --  it gave me a signal picture that was closer to the acoustic:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Exf3ukMZi64aiVit9

If you are trying to reproduce the same timbre of your piano, that is definitely too aggressive. You have to compare the RATIO of the fundamental to the harmonics and if you do that you can see that with pianoteq you have "killed" all the harmonics way lower than on the acoustic.

However I think this approach will become very complicated once you go from one note to many notes (either sequentially or even worst concurrently).

The white noise will be easier. Proceed as follows:

1) feed the white noise source in an digital equalizer, left flat (I am not sure if you can do that with pianoteq's own equalizer, perhaps you can now in version 8 since it accepts an input which before didn't but it might be only for sympathetic resonances, not for EQ -- if so, you need to use another program)
2) play that with a pair of speakers which provide satisfying pianoteq sound
3) measure with your app as baseline
4) switch soundboard for speakers
5) measure with your app modifying the EQ to make it match the baseline

Placing the microphone in the same location as your head will yield best results.

Also, since the piano harp will provide some "ringing", and probably too much I'd select the driest possible option, i.e. turning off all the reverb.

dklein wrote:

1) changed the last damped note to 93 (matched that of my acoustic piano)

Ahaa! Take those completely out of pianoteq! You already have the ones on the piano, you don't need duplication!

molecular_orbital wrote:

Is there some issue with the transducers being mounted to the soundboard? I would think you have some sort of Newtonian issue, so to speak. The transducers are trying to move the soundboard, and so the soundboard is trying to move the transducers, but they're both attached and differ in mass greatly. So you now have a weird oscillator that's waving its exciter around. If they were on their own thing they wouldn't be waving around and trying to vibrate the soundboard at the same time.

dklein wrote:

@molecular_orbital - Yes, I have wondered about how the magnets of transducers sit 'free in space' while their coils move, attached to the driven surface, which can be quite rigid.  I don't know significant this issue is, with the tail essentially wagging the dog.

That's likely not an issue. As the Steingraeber and that other small French firm demonstrate. Also, the exciter manufacturer suggests similar setup and many people have built speakers that way. I would not worry about it at this time,

molecular_orbital wrote:

You also might want to inspect your contraption with the FFT thing and a synth, namely one that can output sine waves. A perfect sine has only one frequency component, so its FFT is a narrow spike. That might reveal additional details about your thing, especially when you play more than one note at once.

It'd be interesting if somebody did this with a bank of analog bandpass filters before each transducer, so each one only gets a certain part of the spectrum. Calibrating such a device would suck bit time I bet.

The interesting thing about this is you sort of transduce twice, virtually, before you do so in real life. Virtual soundboard, and virtual mics or the virtual head. I guess it depends on how their model works.

dklein wrote:

As for oscillators and fast fourier transform analysis, I am afraid that such analysis is currently outside my gadget collection and beyond my skillset.

That's **not** more complicated than the white noise test you are doing now. The latter is simply a gazillion of sine waves happening at the same time, The sine wave oscillators are one at the time. What OS are you using?
Regarding FFT, that's the same thing you are doing now with FrequenSee

Even though Steingraeber and others seem not to worry about it (maybe they compensate), I tend to agree with the "Newtonian" remark of molecular_orbital. I listened again to your loose-screwed example (Hidden Audio 401 Pt-2) and it sounded pretty good all around to me...

Even though you did it to remove the buzzing, I think it might also have decoupled the exciter slightly from the soundboard.

Maybe the exciter's mass is negligible, but on the other hand, a normal loudspeaker's magnet is fixed and does not move with the cone.

Last edited by Gilles (29-11-2022 15:39)

@dv -

1)  Why "take those completely out of Pianoteq"?  Do you mean undamper all of the notes, or damper all of the notes?  Though my upright dampers still function, regardless of the position of the Stop Bar, they do not likely do much dampening of Pianoteq-played notes, since there likely isn't as much string motion from sympathetic resonance than with directly struck strings (when using Pianoteq to play an 440-A, for example, the real damper comes off the real string, but the Stop Bar doesn't let the hammer strike the string, so the only vibrations of the unison strings come from sympathetic resonance from the adjacent soundboard vibrations).  The Pianoteq dampers have a great effect on the Pianoteq-struck notes, in comparison.

2)  My operating system is Windows 11.

3)  Any equalization I apply would be best applied to all sounds being sent to the soundboard, be they from Pianoteq, Native Instruments, or even YouTube videos of people lecturing.  I guess that I could either get an external equalizer with manual sliders, or perhaps you could recommend a software equalizer that would allow being put 'in the chain' of all Windows output to the transducers.  Actually, since I want earphone output left 'straight' via the external soundcard (UR-22), perhaps a mechanical equalizer between the UR-22 and the amp would be easiest.  The less expensive alternative would be a software equalizer to apply to everything but the earphone output from the Windows surface itself, and running the earphones through there.  So...as I talk in circles as I think...do you have software solutions for an equalizer to work outside of a DAW, and a source for sine waves and while noise?

Thanks!

- David

@dklein

1) I mean leaving all the notes damped in pianoteq. I suspect the vibrations from the soundboard will excite the actual undampened strings of your acoustic and having undampened notes in pianoteq could be the thing that contributes to the excessive ringing you are hearing

2-3) I'm afraid I don't know what software EQ to recommend to you, but hopefully others will. I think the software EQ will be better than the hardware one since the latter may not have enough bands to achieve what you need. The earphone output can either be left "untouched" or you can simply virtually shut off the EQ. If you use a DAW, it should all be easy (or so the DAW experts say.... I actually don't use a DAW myself...)

@dv -

1)  Great suggestion!  Yes, the undamped upper treble is really ring-y through the metal harp.  I will apply Pianoteq dampers to all of the keys - I am sure that this will not only help playing of the upper register notes, but may also decrease some of my sympathetic resonance from the virtually undamped virtual strings.

2)  @anyone else:  Recommendations for virtual equalizers that can work outside a DAW in the computer's audio workflow for Windows 11? (Similar to how VeloPro works on all MIDI inputs no matter what applications are being run)

- David

dklein wrote:

2)  @anyone else:  Recommendations for virtual equalizers that can work outside a DAW in the computer's audio workflow for Windows 11? (Similar to how VeloPro works on all MIDI inputs no matter what applications are being run)

There is a selection here: https://www.techworm.net/2022/09/best-a...ws-11.html

Can't try them though, I'm on Mac...

These must be set with playing with the settings by ear though, and I think a more "room correction" style approach using a microphone and generated tones to optimize a sweet spot (your piano bench I guess...) would give better results.

Here is one free but rather low-level software that can be used: http://www.alanjordan.org/DRCDesigner/D...rHelp.html

Here is a blog entry that show a typical use for optimizing an audio system in a room: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/09/m....html#more

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Gilles!

I will check them out later tonight when I get home.

- David

OK Gilles and others, I downloaded three of the Windows application equalizers in Gilles' 'best ten' list.  Curiously, I can't seem to get them to modify the Pianoteq sound, similar as to how the Windows volume control doesn't work on Pianoteq.  It's as if Pianoteq has a separate audio routing through the computer that does not respond to windows volume controls.  Any idea as to why this occurs?

- David

This may be related to using ASIO drivers. Normal eq and volume controls don't work with ASIO drivers. You have to have a specific ASIO eq program.

Thanks, kihar.  I will look for ASIO specific equalizers.

- David

dklein wrote:

Thanks, kihar.  I will look for ASIO specific equalizers.

Ooops, sorry about that David...I guess I should let Windows users do the suggestions. The more basic option, DRCdesigner, does support ASIO.

OK, I will have to check this out later. From other stuff I read about ASIO pathways for audio, it's made to have minimal latency, and sticking things into it tend to make the latency much worse. Some people that I read online use programs such as VB virtual audio cables, etc., so that you can end up using equalizers, etc. I will try the program that you have suggested when I get home tonight.

- David

dklein wrote:

OK, I will have to check this out later. From other stuff I read about ASIO pathways for audio, it's made to have minimal latency, and sticking things into it tend to make the latency much worse. Some people that I read online use programs such as VB virtual audio cables, etc., so that you can end up using equalizers, etc. I will try the program that you have suggested when I get home tonight.

You're right about latency, so maybe you should skip that suggestion also...I was thinking about a complete room-correction approach where you use a microphone to generate with DRCdesigner a corrective convolution filter that is then added as a plug-in into a media player such as JRiver or Foobar. These surely add some latency as they are more made for music listening than playing an instrument through it.

The room-correction approach would be the best way to correct for non-linearities in the soundboard/transducer, but I forgot that latency is the most important factor here.

So maybe don't loose time gain following this approach. Probably the only way out is through a DAW.

By the way, I just found out there is a 10-band EQ in Audio Hijack on Mac, a software I sometimes use to record outside of Pianoteq. I checked in realtime and it does not seem to add any latency...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4mJTSVkJtZTLz5fb8

But then, if you use 3 EQ3 effects in Pianoteq, you already have a 9-band EQ...

Last edited by Gilles (30-11-2022 20:06)

Thanks again, Gilles.  The reason that I was looking for an equalizer outside of Pianoteq was so that I could first 'set' it with white noise to calibrate for the soundboard, and then that setting could be used for Pianoteq, for Youtube, for other VSTs, Ableton, etc.  Now I'm not even sure that one equalizer can do that, since I now believe that the equalizer would both have to cover ASIO and non-ASIO audio paths, separately.

Anyway, just got home, found DRC Designer, but now need to decide on an unpacker since I don't have anything on this computer to decompress .tar files.

Maybe tomorrow!....

- David

dklein wrote:

Now I'm not even sure that one equalizer can do that, since I now believe that the equalizer would both have to cover ASIO and non-ASIO audio paths, separately.

I know nothing about Windows, but on Linux one can switch Pianoteq from one audio path (e.g. Jack) to another (e.g. Alsa) with a single click in the Pianoteq interface itself. Can't you do the same on Windows? Obviously this is not how you want to use it in the end, since the "high latency" driver is not what you want for playing, but for doing these tests it should be adequate and work with the EQ which you have already found?

I would try to use Pianoteq eq-system. First run pink noise via soundboard and record that with microphone. Then analyze recorded eq-curve and put the reversed eq-curve to Pianoteq's eq. It could be a starting point. Most likely this doesn't help for prolonged ringing of the harp, but it could help to even out overpowering treble. Anyway this doesn't increase latency of the system.

Thanks, kihar.  I will go back to the Pianoteq EQ.

Last night I left the EQ thoughts and distracted myself by playing with microphones.  Two thoughts, and I apologize for not making a recording this morning, but I'm out of time:

1)  I understand that mixing Mic1 and Mic2 (and 3 and 4 and 5) into each channel produces pleasing results, but why do the Pianoteq Player presets also have mics mixed into the outputs? (presuming Output1 is Left channel and Output2 is Right channel)  Since the whole soundboard vibrates, some bass sound is heard on the right and some treble sound its heard on the left anyway, so why should both Mic1 and Mic2 each be combined into Output1 and Output2?  I would think theoretically that to make a realistic Player preset, the Right side of the piano should play into the Right microphone, which should then play out of the Right speaker.  This is not the way that Pianoteq Player presets are constructed.

2)  While I tried to set up the Right => Right => Right conditions as described above in #1, I placed cardioid microphones x 2 over the Model B soundboard, pointed down, just a few inches up from the soundboard.  When auditioning each Right and Left, I played both treble and bass, to find positions for the Right that emphasized treble output and positions for the Left that emphasized bass output.  Curiously, I got more bass output on the Right side of the soundboard, under where the high treble strings are.  Why would that be the case?  I would certainly have expected higher bass signal immediately adjacent to the bass strings.

- David

dklein wrote:

Anyway, just got home, found DRC Designer, but now need to decide on an unpacker since I don't have anything on this computer to decompress .tar files.

There is a link for a .exe Windows file on the DRC Designer site, the .tar format is for Linux. But yes, I would suggest staying with Pianoteq's EQ3, maybe also using the global Equalizer.

Last edited by Gilles (01-12-2022 13:43)

Hi dklein, regarding 1) I think the panning is more how our ears hear sounds, hard-left and hard-right is not as natural for recording. I don't know the optimum feed to the other channel but would presume Pianoteq will have this as it should be.

When copying a completed recording, then hard L/R panning should be used, recording should I think have some mixing between channels. My knowledge on this subject is quite basic but a friend of mine corrected my view that in recording, hard panning is not the way to do it.

Nick

@MeDorian -

Yes, I have no recording training or experience.  From my naïve logic, it seems that if you are trying to reproduce the imaged sound of a piano with speakers placed four feet apart, that you want to record it with microphones placed four feet apart (at essentially the same location that the speakers will be in).  Perhaps overly simplistic an analogy, but it you want to see what a piano looks like to a person who will be standing across the room, take a picture with a camera positioned where that person's head would be, and then print the image - then you would see what they would see.

Furthermore, the vibrations produced by the treble strings on the right and the bass strings on the left (temporarily assuming a straight-strung instrument, like an older Pleyel) are 'mixed' throughout the piano by vibrations carried on the soundboard, so why 're-mix' left and right microphones into left and right channels?

- David

Hi dklein, regarding 'why mix L/R microphones', I can only guess it's so the soundboard or speakers sound, not just extreme left and right, but also in the middle of the sound been produced. Maybe if hard panning was used the soundboard would be like two separate soundboards placed at some distance apart, or the piano would be like two pianos playing.

Nick

BIG PROGRESS Today!

I will post tonight's Acoustic vs. Pianoteq comparison video first, and then explain how I got to this point next:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uK3yfcKDUDayDtuZ8

So this is a series of notes from treble to bass, played back and forth between my acoustic 1875 Steinway upright Model F (which is in need of some serious tuning) as compared to my Pianoteq Model B .FXP that I have been modifying (tonight I also bumped Condition to 0.31 to make it closer to the acoustic in out-of-tuneness).

Several things got improvements from two days ago until today:

1)  I set up an equalizer curve based on white noise balancing:  I used a white noise video from YouTube, and then used a non-ASIO equalizer program that Gilles had suggested ( FXSound ) to make the tracing look (and sound) relatively flat on FrequenSee:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUFc9YAScELhrgXAA   As flat as I could get the white noise curve with FXSound.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DJjYj4LoW5wrXddR7     The equalizer graph after I was done with FXSound.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8daak4DePJ7AZZeCA    The equalizer curve as essentially copied into Pianoteq.

2)  I made lots of changes with the Pianoteq microphones: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m8GTr56E13g7tPbi7

I was hoping to find places over the soundboard to get bass to prevail for the left mic, and treble to prevail for the right mic, but I am frustrated that treble is predominant on the right, but bass is as well.  So I spread the microphones, and kept changing their relative volumes to try to get the cleanest separation possible (as close to hard-panned as possible) since they're just going to get recombined on my piano's soundboard when 'played'.  Also, because I have a smaller lightweight transducer on the treble side, and a heavier transducer for the bass side, I was trying to drive them differently.  I made Output1 to be only from the left mic, and Output2 to be only from the right mic.  I turned off the Level and Delay Compensation (it just seemed easier to get better useful sound differences that way) and turned off the proximity effect for the microphones as the percussive sound of the hammers to the keys seemed to be reproduced better that way.  I also listened to each the bass and the treble, testing all of the microphones, and comparing them to my acoustic piano.  I settled on both microphones being Fig-8 variants, with the C-414 for the left-sided and more bass-driven mic, and the U87 for the right-sided more treble-driven mic.  I also dropped the mics really low to the soundboard, as the percussive hammer and key sound was better, though any lower produced more overwhelming mechanical sounds.

=======================

Overall, I am super-pleased with the progress, and occasionally even fooled myself, especially in the bass, on telling which was acoustic and which was Pianoteq as I went back and forth.  So, where am I now, and what is left to do?

1)  My new transducers are due in soon.  I want to try very small transducers on the treble side.  I wish that I knew how to apply filters to the Pianoteq mics so I could get the left mic to pick up predominantly the bass, and the right mic to predominantly pick up primarily the treble -- any ideas here?

2)  When I am happy with my choice of transducers and their location, I want to move them to the front side of the soundboard.  Currently, playing on the back of the soundboard, they make me feel like I'm sitting on the wrong side of the piano!

3)  Currently the Pianoteq preset is working quite well at low to medium velocities - the sound vastly changes at high velocities, sounding like there's much more bloom.  As far as I know, the EQ curves can't be applied differently for higher versus lower velocities.  If I could make changes with velocity levels, that would be great.

4)  I'm sure that there are many more Pianoteq Soundboard and Note Edit characteristics to change.

5)  I haven't yet even tried to damped the acoustic harp yet.

6)  Also, I'm relatively new at shooting videos like this with my iPhone.  I note that I had it sitting on its microphone at the right edge of the keyboard, so maybe even just putting it upside down would make the sound less colored (since now the microphone is 'trapped' against the body of the piano).  Also, at the end of the video I said "white balance" rather than "white noise" (sorry - can't get the photographer out of me!).

That's all for Thursday night!  Thanks, guys, for all your help with my project.

David

Last edited by dklein (02-12-2022 04:11)
- David

dklein wrote:

BIG PROGRESS Today!

Wow, that is really great progress. With my speakers I can't tell the difference between acoustic and PianoTeq!!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the details. Now, additional thoughts from me.

Have you tried playing some pieces and see if such great results are confirmed in that case?

For high velocities, why don't you simple change the velocity curve, making it less steep and hence not reaching the highest level? If I recall correctly, doing so affects both volume and timbre, but then you can change the dynamics slider (if necessary) which controls only the volume but not the timbre: the combinations of the two should allow you to avoid the problem at the highest velocities, assuming is a timbre problem. From my experiments, I'd say make sure it's not a volume problem, since my exciters really started distorting at higher volume levels. In other words: lower the volume of the amplifier you are using, and see if the problem persists (timbre is the issue) or goes away (volume is the issue), since you need to address them in vastly different ways!

For "it sounds like you are on the wrong side of the piano" have you actually tried to sit on its back when playing a MIDI (e.g. its demo) and it sounds more realist from that point of view?

Cheers!

Fab work David and all!

Glad to see such good progress - so happy for you! (for simplicity, posting here now instead of emails)

Observations of current vid..

Those hammers now sound louder in the Pianoteq ver to me (at least on the 1st vid above - if you also hear that, wonder how turning down 'hammer noise' a little might work out - or perhaps something else over time.. maybe in the room they sound more bassy when on vid they may seem more sharp/mid/treble) - but all else.. getting there.

///

Your Q1:

It's possible the smaller transducers may give some comfort in high velocity on treble side - but as far as mic placement here's what I noticed:

You have 2 figure 8 mics (with some modelled hardware) - and possibly.. I'm thinking they may give some benefit to the overall acoustics - and some flavor of Steinway B recordings.. but I'd definitely try this (moonshot mics! - and only thing missing is 'pure' unflavored non-brand-based cardio mics to use instead..):

They're not straight up/down vertical but angled to capture spread of tones without emulated mirror-like reflection straight back at the mic heads..

2 Different mics (in-Pianoteq testing bass vs trebs. plus stereo spread by ear - could this be better? For sure - all another moonshot)..

No 'delays' between L/R so no variant of any kinds of HAAS or other offset spatialization effects, which might give transducers some unnecessary clutter/cancellations)..

Using Cardio instead of Figure 8 (may introduce some built-in stereo issues with transducers?? not sure - what you've got seems nice on video) also not using omni as they pick up around/behind the target.. but thinking cardiods would point at 'roughly where soundboard' bass to treble ranges are - and your real soundboard could generate the 'around' aspect, if that makes sense (but indeed finding some long-distance thinking about this project has not all been as I'd expected - transducers on a piano are an amazing thing, have to say)..

First select mic 1 and change it to..

CMC6MK4

Then select the 5 lines below, copy, and then right-click the mic in the pane (not the selector box), click paste in the popup.

Click the mic's selector box, click "unlink mic" - (and I'd also try both proximity effect on/off when all done).

X = +0.688
Y = +2.058
Z = 1.329
Angle = +135.0
Vertical Angle = +317.4

Next, same with mic 2...

DPA4011

X = +1.058
Y = +1.058
Z = 1.616
Angle = +131.0
Vertical Angle = +290.1

Absolutely could be wrong - but that may hopefully be good to start on mics. (There's no way to share mic presets, like FXP Corner yet.)

///

Your Q2:

If this were using the U4, I'd suggest putting mics on the other side of it - but putting mics under the grands doesn't keep as much of your position vs a vis the soundboard.. the grand piano vs. upright..

I'm imagining the U4 player preset might be interesting to use for a non-Steinway B piano sound.

///

Your Q3: - specific to this quote..

dklein wrote:

EQ curves can't be applied differently for higher versus lower velocities

Agree with dv - since noticing your early velocity curve was quite truncated at high velocity - it's prob the 1st thing I'd consider to limit high forces at higher velocities. But it may indeed cut into the tones, and if you like them now, that may change with a changed velocity curve too much.. but maybe not - so worth some experimentation.

But, what you described in the quote is a good description of a problem which might be suited to applying dynamic EQ - (if you've decided on using a DAW).

Something like F6 (Waves) for example - or now the included Pro EQ in Studio One is also excellent (I'm sure free ones and paid of all kinds exist - but F6 and Pro EQ3 are two I really really like. 

Dynamics-wise, set the EQ any way you like overall, and then for any frequency range, dial a threshold at which point that range can attenuate.

Essentially giving a limit to that range, so it won't get too hot of have too much force compared to surrounding ranges.

Extras to that..

a
Maybe instead of EQ, a multiband compressor could take some force out of target frequency bands well enough. (Again plenty around, the default one in Studio One is quite good).

b
Claro (by Sonoxx) recently hit me with it's "width" variations, and other things.. so you can make only certain frequency ranges "wider" or "narrower"). I think it would be 'the tool' I'd break out to manage stereo width as you describe issues with that inre what you're hearing.

Stereo-width-wise, in Claro, click 'width' and adjust a bass band wider (since your soundboard's bass waves would probably wash across the whole thing with more bloom beyond the left).. or narrower (since you may be able to that way contain much of the bass to the left side of the soundboard).. but in the stereo blend.. that may be also altered and attenuated in the Pianoteq 'mics' pane - I guess every thing like this, by ear comes down to what you hear there.

Beyond that also in Claro, is the ability to right click any dot(s) for any frequency, select 'split' and to individually raise/lower either/both left/right channels independently.. which might be excellent to remove bass or other ranging frequencies from taking up space on the 'wrong side' of the soundboard/keyboard as you hear those in situ.

///

I'm prob commandeered, tasks/partner for the next.. numbers? of days - but whew - so good to see - and all this wonderful help - hats off to all.

Overall David..

What you've come up with sounds remarkable in the video - Happy for you!

I also felt that double-take when you 2nd guessed real? or Pianoteq? there, I had to replay the vid

[

hope to not have forgotten something or mixed up anything in mixing together different text notes from different times - also here are links to EQs and Studio One in case thinking of a DAW.. but for sure, Reaper, Cakewalk and on and on might be just as good of a fit.. (Including Studio One here because its internal new dynamic EQ is competitive with the Waves F6 and because I use it most - love the ease of workflow with the same kinds of results from any old DAW in the past.. it only misses out on actually 2 things I'd like it to do but in those cases I load up Cakewalk - but again.. plenty of good DAWs to see out there.

Maybe this will be overkill for most starting out into DAW land, but I also like Presonus Sphere for a whole lot of reasons, just like I love Pianoteq Studio Bundle. No having to find "Oh, I don't have that tool" - but anyway, there are links to Studio One 'Artist', 'Professional' and 'Sphere' and a comparison pdf if some things are desired - if this DAW seems good to you. I'd add, the Artist version does not have included multi-band compression - but it does have the included multiband Pro EQ

https://www.waves.com/plugins/f6-floati...echain-tip

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-6-Artist

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-6-Professional

https://shop.presonus.com/PreSonus-Sphere

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/uploa...rsions.pdf

https://www.sonnox.com/toolbox/claro

].

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

@dv - Excellent idea to work velocity against dynamics - I never quite understood dynamics, but your description that the dynamics does not change timbre is quite helpful - timbre change is currently the big problem.  And, no, I have not played a MIDI and gone to the back side of the piano...which actually goes back to the timbre problem, because playing MIDIs are overwhelmingly painful due to the timbre at high velocity.  I guess I could record something p-mf and play that back, but I haven't yet.

@Qexl - Ben, your 'moonshot' mics are clean, but a bit thin.  I really had to crank the mics to get convincing volumes, especially for mic1, the way I currently am hard-panning.  Part of the issue is that whenever I get the bass loud enough, then the treble is too loud, as my left transducer (bass) is large and strong, driving both bass and treble on the soundboard, and my right transducer (treble) is relatively small and delicate -- that's partly why I have been trying to separate the bass and the treble inputs that I feed them with, meaning trying to find soundboard positions that predominantly exude treble and predominantly exude bass -- because then after 'hearing' it with the Pianoteq mics, then I feed that right back in to my own soundboard via the transducers.

As far as external processors and DAWs go, I guess that I am trying to do the best that I can do from within Pianoteq first, before 'venturing out'.  As far as my desire to learn a DAW, I place that as a separate goal, and my interest in Ableton comes mostly from its looping construct and utilization of Session view versus Arrangement view - a separate issue.

But your comments on my early-capping or flat-topping the velocity, and then going back to allowing velocity to expand fully go back to my balancing the Pianoteq velocity versus the amplifier volume to keep things under control.  The reason that I went back to a straight 1:1 velocity curve is that Pianoteq 8 didn't seem to want to freeze my velocity curve between different presets, despite me setting it that way on the "Snowflake" menu -- maybe a bug?  I haven't spent more time investigating it, but thats why I went back to default.

Anyway, too much to chew on now, since it's time to shower for work.  And since I spend my weekends at my fiancée's house, I won't get back to work on this stuff in earnest until Sunday night.

Thanks for the continued support!

- David

dklein wrote:

But your comments on my early-capping or flat-topping the velocity, and then going back to allowing velocity to expand fully go back to my balancing the Pianoteq velocity versus the amplifier volume to keep things under control.  The reason that I went back to a straight 1:1 velocity curve is that Pianoteq 8 didn't seem to want to freeze my velocity curve between different presets, despite me setting it that way on the "Snowflake" menu -- maybe a bug?  I haven't spent more time investigating it, but thats why I went back to default.

Yeah, that's my gripe with pianoteq GUI: it's beautiful but requires the manual, not easily discoverable. I wish they had opted for a "ugly" standard one, like (say) the one of a browser.

Anyway, what you search for the "global" velocity curve which you can enable by clicking that little G under the velocity curve windows.

I continue to applaud your determination, your achieved success and the even bigger accomplishments that feel like are just around the corner!!!

I guess it's normal that most of the direct sound comes from around the transducer and so it should be towards you. Steingraeber puts it on top of the soundboard, not under where I suppose they would prefer hiding it...

Nothing to add but applause for already great results from your dedicated and well documented work!

Thanks, Gilles and dv.  DV, I already forgot about the global velocity curve option, as I used to just freeze it ( before I started to use VelPro, which would have worked here as well).  Then the global volume curve option was released, but I haven't used it for anything serious yet!

More to do, more to do....

- David

Tonight's new notes:

1)  I still haven't figured out the velocity vs. timbre balancing.  There are several potential controls here to balance:  Pianoteq Volume, Pianoteq Velocity, Pianoteq Dynamics, Pianoteq microphone levels, Pianoteq microphone distance from virtual soundboard, and stereo amplifier volume.  Plus other factors, such as having both Microphone 1 and Microphone 2 additive into each left and right stereo output (each of which drives the left versus the right soundboard transducer on my piano).

2)  I am still trying different transducers:  Tonight I started by gluing two small 'coin-type' transducers to the upper treble section of the soundboard, hoping that they could drive the high treble sound very convincingly without driving bass information, to add to the one that really drives the bass (but unfortunately it also drives treble information).  While that is the hope, with the PIanoteq microphone locations passing relatively pure bass and relatively pure treble information each, in order to simulate what the strings do to the soundboard on a real piano, I cannot find a place on the soundboard that really drives just the bass or just the treble.  That being said, I gave up on trying to get treble output to drive the right channel, and bass output to drive the left channel.  Instead, since both microphones present both treble and bass information, I decided to place a second Hidden Audio 401 more on the treble side of the soundboard, so now I have Channel 1 going to the left/bass-sided 401, and I have Channel 2 going to the right/treble-sided 401.  So far the treble is too loud, but maybe it's time to start using Note Edit to quiet the high treble keys, if I can't get the FXP gross controls to do enough.

Last edited by dklein (05-12-2022 03:47)
- David

I have mixed opinions on it.

PART of me believes that a transducer on a sheet of plywood could do a credible job.
Other parts of me think that a baffled box behind the plywood can help.

MOST of me believes that piano sound boards are incredibly non-linear in their response to excitation by the vibrating strings - - and to a very large extent that is the "character" of wooden pianos anyway.

Hahh, all fun stuff to contemplate

...time to practice...

Last edited by aandrmusic (25-03-2023 16:56)