Re: Some healthy competition

Regarding the pairing of Pianoteq with one of the major manufacturers and pitting the result against Roland:

The case of the Hauptwerk Virtual Organ wind model is pertinent to this discussion.  The burden of "proof" as to whether something has been copied or not is not on the patent holder (if there is one) but on the accused party, which often hasn't the monetary and legal resources to fight the accusation.  I cannot say which multinational threatened to sue Crumhorn Labs if they sold Hauptwerk in the continental US with the wind model switched on but it is, as I said, very pertinent to this discussion and the threat arose after as thorough a patent search as was feasible for a small company had taken place.

The company concerned has not produced a software wind-model for a digital "pipe" organ in any form, let alone a form which could have been "copied" by Hauptwerk.  The alleged infringement was on a patent of the "idea" or "concept" of how such a model may work.  This is tantamount to patenting a virtual piano and merely stating, "would use a virtual hammer with configurable hardness, string models with different string materials with differing characteristics, a resonance model etc" but not actually writing a single line of code, proof of concept or providing anything tangible at all.

I would sincerely hope that Modartt have been able to patent their technologies and my personal view would be that any collaboration with a major company such as Roland, Johannus and the like would result in Pianoteq's being killed off as a viable product.  Internet Explorer and Intellimouse, plus the original BSD-licensed version of Kerberos which is now pretty much defunct would be examples of what happens when a small good-natured company does business with a multinational.

If the concept of a company's being able to take out such a ridiculous patent sounds implausible, consider that Monsanto have sought to patent the pig.  Off topic a little but if you really want to scare yourself, read William F. Engdahl's "Seeds of Destruction" about the GMO industry.

Kind regards//Neil

P.S. the waiting for my Yamaha KX8/FC3 to arrive is becoming intolerable!

wait, you don't think patent protection actually works do you?  The legal team of the bigger company will do its homework, and mark the "no-go" zones, and the developers just need to work around it.  It's debatable if any of the major portions of the piano modeling technology can be patented, as it's pretty much public domain in academia..  And the idea of physmod pianos can't be protected either since it's been around for a long time.

Perhaps some optimiations that modartt has specifically engineered..  but again, it's very hard to and expensive to file the patent, and globally enforce it. (I'm joint patent owner, and it's pretty much useless)  They're useful in giving bigger company grounds to screw over smaller companies, not the other way around I think.  Sorry that I'm sour about patents, my personal experience has not been good.

Last edited by kensuguro (23-01-2009 20:38)

Well,
I'm listening to Roland's promo video,
and their new modelled piano sounds good, yes -
but it probably also (I'm guessing) costs about 10 times more than Pianoteq.

I am also not knowing whether to laugh or cry and how all the sounds they demonstrate are such lovely pristine classical grand piano sounds -
I AM A ROCK/ELECTRO MUSICIAN!!! lol
I want a TRASHY BEAT UP UPRIGHT PIANO SOUND! lol
Stop giving me this crazy 19th century sh&t! lol
I want a piano that I can play Roxy Music's first album on! :-)

Last edited by feline1 (26-01-2009 02:17)

Brotha' Man Feline 1....I totally agree.
Performers who are playing classical music have their own Grand Pianos at home to practice on, and will never buy PTeq or Alicia Keys from Scarbee, or any of the other Romplers.
You sound like a live performer, so am I.
I do solo and ensemble, and the reason I never bought a Yamaha, GEM or Roland is because of the insulting " Upright " presets that were the same " Grand Piano 01 " w/ chorus....it infuriated me.
Years ago I bought VintAudio Upright Pianos for jamming live. The Clinton sounds great and I can even splash a hardware reverb on it.
I need a a Rompler and a good PhysMod, both having sostenuto and I will be happy. Knowing Scarbee's record of quality my Rompler will be covered.
PTeq should rescue us with their development.

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

kensuguro wrote:

They're useful in giving bigger company grounds to screw over smaller companies, not the other way around I think.  Sorry that I'm sour about patents, my personal experience has not been good.

This was exactly my point.  A collaboration between Modartt and a major hardware music company would likely not have a good outcome for Pianoteq or its users.  I for one would not welcome having to make a multi-thousand-dollar/pound hardware purchase to achieve probably a more compromised result than I can get now with software and about 900 pounds worth of laptop/controller.

Best//Neil

NeilCraig wrote:

I for one would not welcome having to make a multi-thousand-dollar/pound hardware purchase to achieve probably a more compromised result than I can get now with software and about 900 pounds worth of laptop/controller.  Best//Neil

Surely you can find a lighter laptop and controller.  Even this guy only weighed around 25 pounds:  http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...borne.html  Or are you talking about the Queen's currency.....?  Cheers...gp

Last edited by Cellomangler (28-01-2009 06:21)
"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Just try pianoteq with a pair of real good headphones.
The point of using the right hardware when making comparisons between two physmod pianos was mentioned before regarding the usage of the right keyboard.

I just want to call to mind, that a good Interface, Amplifier and Speakers make the sound. And very, very important: the cables!!!
It was infuriating during band - rehearsal. I tried at least half an hour to get some pianolike sounds out of our high - end PA until I finally changed the cables between the D.I. box and the mixer and... tadaaa!
You can change endless parameters, if your hardware spoils your signal. That underlines the importance of readjusting the parameters with every different output and room setting (sometimes it's difficult to bring them into a balance, but I like the wide range of possibilities you get in return).

I don't see the need of a laptop for a gig as a disadvantage, since I use apple. With my windows PC it was always a hazard game, but with a core 2 duo 2,16 Ghz apple I can run pianoteq and NI B4 II at the same time. Pianoteq with 3 ms latency and B4 with 6 ms (B4 doesn't support multiprocessors).

Besides, I really like pianoteq as a plugin for recording purposes.

Hi

I was recently thinking seriously of upgrading my Yamaha P120 to a RD700GX in view of the escapement on the Roland. I thought that this would be more authentic and aid transition between keyboard and real piano. However, I had this amazing conversation with a piano technician / digital piano retailer, and he said that escapement is really an unavoidable flaw in real a piano that is set to a minimum anyway. He also said that hammer size variation is an inherent flaw in a real piano. The reason he gave was that, in the case of escapement, you really don't want a step in key depression (the smoother the better), and in the cae of hammer gradient, you really want a consistent keyboard touch throughout the whole range. Actually this makes perfect sense when you think about it.  I wonder if Rolands new offering has escapement and graded piano touch?

p.s. Im sticking with my trusty Yamaha P120 and, dare I say it, Pianoteq!

Last edited by sigasa (30-01-2009 23:44)

sigasa wrote:

p.s. Im sticking with my trusty Yamaha P120 and, dare I say it, Pianoteq!

I know what you mean. RD700GX is a fine keyboard, but they over-emphasized this escapement-thing (it's much weaker in most real pianos). That you feel this escapement is indeed a flaw, but as you wrote also unavoidable. You'll need it for fast repetition (the only other way to get faster repetition, is to use a spring or a stiff system and both will affect the nuances you can get out of it).
Recent Fatar models have a real escapement either, but so minimal by the feeling, that most people doesn't sense it.
The Yamaha keyboards are good either, but there's one great advantage still of the Roland above all Yamaha and Fatar controllers (a pity, because otherwise I would have bought the "Numa" long ago, for me it's the keyboard with the best mechanics so far). The RD series have "note-off velocity" (see this thread for further Information http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=384).

sigasa wrote:

However, I had this amazing conversation with a piano technician / digital piano retailer, and he said that escapement is really an unavoidable flaw in real a piano that is set to a minimum anyway. He also said that hammer size variation is an inherent flaw in a real piano. The reason he gave was that, in the case of escapement, you really don't want a step in key depression (the smoother the better), and in the case of hammer gradient, you really want a consistent keyboard touch throughout the whole range. Actually this makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Absolutely correct - without the escapement, the hammers would remain in contact with the strings if the keys remained depressed - which would muffle the sound terribly and remove the sustain.

The escapement is a critical aspect that piano builders haven't been able to replace.  If they could have eliminated this "feel" at the bottom of the keystroke they would have done so long ago.

Glenn

Bur many professional pianists says that escapement feel it's very  important to pianissimos.

Beto-Music wrote:

But many professional pianists says that escapement feel it's very  important to pianissimos.

Very much of what is important to we humans is what we are accustomed to.

Whenever I've attempted to depress a key very slowly to achieve a ppp, I've found that the escapement was a problem.  I go very slowly down until I hit the "escapement feel", then the key suddenly overcomes the resistance and the key is going down too fast to achieve ppp.

Note that this is most noticeable when simply playing one key by itself.

I'd be interested hearing from others here that have a grand piano. 

Very slowly and gently depress a single key, and see if the key doesn't "stick" at the beginning of the escapement, then the pressure to "hit the bottom" suddenly decreases.

The way I was taught to overcome this was to drag the finger along the key towards the end of the key.  This would be like a wiping motion on the key.

Glenn

I agree with you Glenn. When the key arrives to the escapement point, there are at least two additional resistance forces that come into action: the jack and repetition lever spring force, and the friction between the jack and the hammer knuckle. This can make it difficult to control ppp, and I am quite convinced that if piano manufacturers had found a way to get rid of these additional resistances, they would gladly have done it, and pianists would have been very happy.

Last edited on 02/02/09

Last edited by Philippe Guillaume (02-02-2009 08:01)

And I suppose that if piano makers were to use Teflon on these frictional parts, it would change the feel of the action (might be smoother in fact), and there would be a howl from the traditionalists.

While talking to my piano restorer friend, he thought that (black) carbon fibre keys and action components could be made stronger, more dimensionally stable, and probably lighter (which would reduce the linear and rotational mass/inertia) of the action's parts.

He also thought that the black parts would look "sexy", particularly the sides of the white keys which would be black and look very striking  contrasted with the white keys.

Oddly, we haven't used real elephant tusk ivory for many years, and no one seems to complain about the plastic surfaces - but there would be complaints that the CR action wasn't "real".

When will we get rid of laminated wood pin blocks which are subject to dimensional change with humidity change?

Another thing we two chuckle about is Steinway's method of forming the rim board (hand laminating).  Good grief haven't they heard of Henry Ford's 100 year old concepts for producing components cheaper and more precisely?

I feel there is massive inertia in people's thinking when it comes to innovation in pianos.

I just realized that I'm thinking like a structural engineer again. I apologize.

Rant over.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (02-02-2009 00:37)

What about use a good digital piano keyboard to send signals to a realopiano with pianodisk installed???

Háaa háaa... it's fun to think about, isn't it?

Do you know if would work for living playing?

I don't think Steinway could get speed up industrial production of their pianos without lose quality.  Yamaha and kawai had speed-up line production, but it's very inferior to a good Steinway.

Last edited by Beto-Music (02-02-2009 01:06)

Glenn NK wrote:

And I suppose that if piano makers were to use Teflon on these frictional parts, it would change the feel of the action (might be smoother in fact), and there would be a howl from the traditionalists.

According to Wikipedia, Steinway did try exactly that, but because teflon is extremely dimensionally stable and wood isn't, they ran into problems and there was also an unwanted "clicking", I suppose because when dealing with wood, the concept of tight tolerances goes out of the window (think British Leyland engines)

Best//Neil

Well, Glenn, I'm lucky enough to have a piano old enough... and, yes, ivory feel has yet to be matched with plastic, it's very, very different.
The biggest difference is that it's more tolerant to sweat. When it's get hot in the room where you're playing, you'll definitely have less problems slipping on the keys, but it has little to do with being able to play ppp or fff, I think I digress ;-)

I've played a piano with real ivory keys.  Yes, it's very nice to the touch and sweaty fingers don't slip.  I have seen somebody posted a report of roland ivory-feel keyboard's excessive wear though.  He mentioned that high traffic keys wear off too fast and becomes rough.

Back to topic guys –

The price tag of more than 4000 EUR for the Roland unit is absolutely ridiculous. Under these conditions, there clearly isn't much of a competition IMO.

Sound-wise, I'd like to say that Roland has some more "dimension" to it (you might also call the sound "boxy") and more twang (which PT is still missing at the moment).

I do not like Roland's treble though. It sounds traditionally over-hyped, decay is too fast, like that typical Roland Pop/Rock style piano sound. Treble, besides soft notes, is  what I love most in PT!

Clearly disliking the hardware fixation of the big companies, I will also say that it is quite convenient to have one single unit. AC, audio>DI, go! Setting up a laptop and the associated cable hassle on stage is always a bit of a nuisance to me. It has become more commonplace in recent years (there are even live guitarists using GuitarRig et al), but I guess there are still many people prefering a single box.

On the other hand, with a computer solution you are way more flexible. Think plugin effects (EQ, quality reverb), audio/MIDI routing, combining sounds from different sources (why not use a trashy, bangy, sampled RnR type piano in a song?) And what about your favorite string sample, a Hammond emu, a Rhodes etc. etc.) – plus the greatest advantage of all: TOTAL RECALL.

With computers getting ever faster, the big boys really have some *serious competition* to reckon with. Products like Apple's Main Stage or NI's Kore are a major blow in that direction.

In summary, the Roland might be a nice thing (if all you need is piano), but not for me, not at the moment, not at that price tag. And it seems really bulky too. I'll stick with PT which does about 90% of what I need (which is a lot for live applications!).

For the dough they're asking, I can buy a new MacBook Pro, a Fatar Numa (still have to test it though) and a top-notch audio interface. Or keep my current rig (which works fine) and enjoy remaining debt-free

The most inexpensive of all my stuff, btw, is the actual software.

Looking forward to the new version... Keep on going guys!

Last edited by Gizmao (03-02-2009 23:25)

Gizmao:

You make some very good points.

Cost is obviously one factor.

Being able to add some powerful post-processing on the fly using a computer is a bonus.  I use an EMU 1820M soundcard (it was their flagship model until the lead solder killed their sales in Europe).  I wouldn't dream of using the reverb built into Pianoteq when I have 36 preset reverbs plus another sixteen I've modified for my own use.  And they are extremely easy to "pull up" (eight parameters are available).  Pianoteq and the onscreen control for the soundcard sit side by side on my screen where I can tweak either one very easily and quickly - and I don't even do gigs.

I downloaded the Roland wave file of the single strike note (C2) and compared it to one made with Pianoteq using a one note midi file, and find the Roland one has more "punch", but in fact it may have too much.

As for the PT treble, my eyes still glaze over when I sit at the keyboard - the melody can really sing, and now I'm starting to play melody in the upper bass because of the pure sound.

I spent way too much money five years ago on Roland's KR-7 and regret set in rather soon thereafter.  It has a great touch with poor sound.  Fortunately I can get some much better sounds from PT.  The KR-7 will be my last hardware investment - well maybe not - a new quadcore might be nice.

But a V-Piano is not in the future.

Last edited by Glenn NK (04-02-2009 05:40)

Good points -- it sings! That's what caught me from the start, and after some 2 years, I haven't grown the least bit tired of it. I'd love more bite at times, but the singing quality is more important to me.

I would invest in hardware again as far as controllers are concerned -- at a reasonable price, maybe 1000 EUR. But I'm through with the hardware mafia (Roland et al) offering expensive products with poor upgrade policy.

And yes, replacing computers, that's one thing we must live with I guess...

Last edited by Gizmao (04-02-2009 11:36)

I'm just awaiting for a single piece of software that could emulate through modelling, but very convincingly, all kinds of keyed instruments. So, piano, rhodes, wurly, clavinet, tonewheel organs, transistor organs, harpsi etc.

That would be an awesome thing for gigging musicians. Imagine a beast of Pianoteq which would do all of that - it already has grands, vintage grands, CP80, harpsis - and I feel there's more to come with the new version.

Now, imagine a pro version which would be able to receive MIDI input from multiple separate MIDI channels (because you would need a weighted controller for piano, but a lighter action waterfall controller for hammond, etc...), and facilitate splitting and layering of the various "engines", ALL of them being available at ONCE! That would probably be a dream come true. Hell, I would even pay more if MODARTT comes out FIRST with a dedicated box (something like Receptor) that has all the power inside needed to run things smoothly!

And somehow, with the quad cores and 64-bit OS, I think we're NEAR! We just need models that are CONVINCING enough. Pianoteq is good, but not perfect, BUT it's coming close.

I have a dream of this being achievable during the course of 5 years, considering how well Pianoteq progresses. And if competition picks up (but not at ridiculous prices as V-Piano), it might even be done faster. It's just the matter of time.

Let's hold hands together, because I think what I just described may be considered a Holy Grail of piano and keyboard players!

Last edited by EvilDragon (04-02-2009 11:45)
Hard work and guts!

Why everything in one box? You can use one container like i.e. Receptor, Kore, Mainstage and use the plugs you actually need. There's your "box". I'm still on Logic 7 doing this (playing live), and it works just fine.

When one single manufacturer tries to cover EVERYTHING within an extensive domain, chances are that single elements are not that excellent (NI's Acoustic Piano sucks in my opinion -- sampled by tone deaf tech headz). Nobody can do everything; the "big three" try so, but that's actually their weak point.

Look at analog outboard gear -- UREI these days is synonymous with their compressor/limiter 1176. That's what everybody in the industry knows, appreciates, uses, emulates or dreams of. They had a range of products, but (almost) nobody talks about their EQs and only few people are really fond of their brutal loudspeakers. It is often one single thing that really makes the name.

As for keyboard sounds, I use PT, Logic's tonewheel organ and AAS's Lounge Lizard Rhodes/Wurli Epiano. On the rare occasion when I need a harpsichord, I use the Kontakt 3 Library which has one. I do not really like the PT harpsis; they are too harsh and one-dimensional to my ears, and they do not fit in the mix that well. Clavis are quite usable in Logic, and AAS's StringThing is interesting too (haven't used it much though -- so little time).

I actually like this conglomerate approach since one has more choices.

PT guys -- please continue nailing the acoustic piano. That's where your focus should be. Rhodes has been covered very well, as has Hammond.

Last edited by Gizmao (04-02-2009 12:09)

Why? Because then I (and others, of course) would have everything available at any one time, with no long patch switching and gaps between sound changes. I HATE THAT. Having one thing that can cover all the keys with equal quality would probably save us the nerve of buying several things in the first place, plus it would really be quite usable in the live context.

Of course, for studios this immediacy isn't really needed. But I think I'm not the only one wishing for this immense availability when it comes to live use.

I'd be one of the first in the row to buy such thing.

If one single manufacturer gets into collaboration with the people who have better experience in other fields, better results could be achieved. But because people aren't really that glad to do such things (competition, etc.) their ego is what stops them from bringing us a brilliant product.

I think that with enough time involved, what I wish for can be achievable, and it WILL be achievable. Because I know I'm not the only one who wants it all in one box, with no sound gaps between patch changes and all that. Kurzweil did that concept brilliantly. Now if they would enter the modeling business, they would probably outperform EVERYONE.

Hard work and guts!

It comes down to a belief thing: I believe there is no box that can do everything. At least not perfectly. (Is there? You tell me)

Your observation, meanwhile, is correct IMO: "Competition" (worshipped as if it was god's law or something) stifles much progress. A cooperative world would be much better in every way. It will be here one day (personal belief again), but who knows when... I think we humans actually can do better; we just have to shake off that old "them or me" neurosis.

I had a Kurzweil 2500 a while ago. Agreed, phantastic concept, but suffering from severe competition (that word again!) from software solutions these days. After all, it's a "closed system" with proprietary technology. I really like open standards like VST.

As for patch switching/interruptions, have a look at Mainstage (if ur on Apple). No such issues there. It has one unified and simple UI, and working with it you don't care about who made what plugin. In the PC world, Kore might do it for you.

That's possibly how close it gets.

Nope, I'm not on Mac, I'm a PC guy. But I understand there's Brainspawn Forte out there. Though I'm not sure about gapless patch switching there.

Gizmao wrote:

It comes down to a belief thing: I believe there is no box that can do everything. At least not perfectly. (Is there? You tell me)

Currently no, but there will be. Again, a personal belief.

I have to see what this Kore is all about. I love most NI products (except B4-II has a terrible Leslie sim).

BTW; the new Kurzweil PC3 is awesome. Has no sampling though, but VAST is vastly improved, and up to 128 poly

Last edited by EvilDragon (04-02-2009 12:38)
Hard work and guts!

Kurz PC3:
And how many GB RAM? Any chance of running third party VST on it? Any significantly cheaper than a laptop and a masterkeyboard? There you have it.

By the way, you can try to convince the PT staff to go "all-keyboard" (don't forget pipe organ and harmonium!), but I will vote againt you

I want piano from them and nothing else!

EDIT: I just saw you mentioned "no sampling". Well well... Not even my fav string patch...

Last edited by Gizmao (04-02-2009 12:53)

Gizmao wrote:

Kurz PC3:
And how many GB RAM? Any chance of running third party VST on it? Any significantly cheaper than a laptop and a masterkeyboard? There you have it.

By the way, you can try to convince the PT staff to go "all-keyboard" (don't forget pipe organ and harmonium!), but I will vote againt you

I want piano from them and nothing else!

EDIT: I just saw you mentioned "no sampling". Well well... Not even my fav string patch...

I just mentioned it as a new synth from Kurz that surpassed everything they made before. Minus the sampling. Take a listen of the demos on their site. It's truly a marvellous synth, even with no sampling. Strings and orchestrals are awesome. K3000 will of course expand on this approach.

But I'm offtopicing completely. I only mentioned PC3 because you have mentioned K2500. It's completely unrelated to my all-in-one-box wish ^^'

Last edited by EvilDragon (04-02-2009 14:02)
Hard work and guts!

It's completely unrelated to my one-in-all-box wish ^^

Well not completely, I'd say. It has traditionally been Kurzweil's goal to provide us with (supposedly) everything we need.

For many, that might even work but not for me, not since PT, not since VST and all my beloved plugins. Not since I can do my editing with a mouse on a computer screen.

Plus, that PC3 is their scaled-down "cheap" model. What's your price estimate  for the K3000? 3000 EUR? 4000?

Gizmao wrote:

Plus, that PC3 is their scaled-down "cheap" model. What's your price estimate  for the K3000? 3000 EUR? 4000?

I'd say 3.5k, not more. Definitely less than V-Piano But I think that K3000 will rival even the currently almighty OASYS.

And I know that sampled pianos aren't quite cutting it for a while now. But I applaud Kurzweil for making such brilliant instruments. I, for one, wouldn't be amiss with the lack of sampling on PC3x. It is a very DEEP synth (as all Kurzweils are) and you can do some pretty nice and slick stuff with it.

OTOH, I believe and know that modelling is the future, and it's just a matter of time before it replaces sample-based systems in some fields where they are not satisfactory anymore (pianos being first in line).

Last edited by EvilDragon (04-02-2009 14:03)
Hard work and guts!

I appreciated the far reaching possiblities in my K2500 very much. There almost seemed to be no limit except that it was not really an open system. I only replaced it with a digital piano because I felt that the then standard Kurz Piano was a bit outdated (not even different velocity layers). And then, being a mere pianist, I did not really need that "production overkill" on stage.

That said, I soon regretted having sold it. Only recently, with my Mac-based solution, have I found something that matches (and even exceeds) its possibilities. The Kurzweil concept, especially the masterkeyboard / performance capabilities, are truly impressively sophisticated.

At the same time, I doubt that even the upcoming 3000 series can do everything equally well.

[...]modelling is the future, and it's just a matter of time before it replaces sample-based systems in some fields where they are not satisfactory anymore (pianos being first in line).

Then there's wind instruments; look at Wallander Instruments – fantastic.

Last edited by Gizmao (04-02-2009 14:48)

Gizmao wrote:

There almost seemed to be no limit except that it was not really an open system.

Open Labs Neko (just kidding)

Gizmao wrote:

Only recently, with my Mac-based solution, have I found something that matches (and even exceeds) its possibilities. The Kurzweil concept, especially the masterkeyboard(performance capabilities, are truly impressively sophisticated.

True for masterkeyboard possibilities, it's awesome, deep and there's nothing you can't do with it. But I'm interested in Mac exceeding possibilities, what do you exactly mean? Well, apart from loading VSTs etc.

Gizmao wrote:

At the same time, I doubt that even the upcoming 3000 series can do everything equally well.

Well that remains to be seen. Remember, you can always load some marvellous samples from AKAI libraries or whatever.

Gizmao wrote:

Then there's wind instruments; look at Wallander Instruments – fantastic.

True. Yamaha VL1 was a breakthrough thing, only a bit too expensive and cryptic. But wind and string instruments can also be modelled quite nicely.

Hard work and guts!

But I'm interested in Mac exceeding possibilities, what do you exactly mean? Well, apart from loading VSTs etc.

VST of course are a major point (think PT).

Otherwise, since I am doing this with Apple's Logic Pro, I have possibilities that exceed by far any masterkeyboard controller I'm aware of.

There is this fantastic concept called "environment" – a virtual representation of the internal signal flow. There you have transformers, switches, faders, data monitors, cable splitters. Easy stacking, controller scaling, making one kind of MIDI event into another (pedal switch > note trigger) etc. etc.. All kinds of stuff, comparable to what a Kurz can do, but I'd say more limitless and easier to configure (larger screen).

Example. I am doing theatre gigs. There is one scene where the *devil* enters the stage (musical comedy). I have a Mini USB keyboard hooked up in addition to fire off FX samples etc.. So when he enters, I have two keys on that auxiliary keyboard with earth shaking thunderstruck samples plus one octave of a low pipe organ. That makes for a nice sinister athmosphere

Now I can:

- control the pipe organ's volume via a vol pedal;
- control the thunder volume via a hardware knob on the mini kb;
- use any samples I like;
- use precision EQ and compressor;
- use my favorite VST reverb (or AU as it is called on the mac);
- decide whether my standard sustain pedal (from the piano) should also affect the pipe organ or not.

Note that this is just a gimmick. All the time, PT is ready to be played from my main keyboard. I can call different sets on the small extra kb on-the-fly (no interruption in PT there). I also made a second layer (strings) switchable on/off from the lowest A / Bb on my 88. Anytime, without interruption, without any hanging notes.

Those strings are controlled via the same controller pedal as the pipe organ mentioned above (easy onscreen assignment via virtual cables). I could even make the strings more responsive to volume control than the pipe organ! Or cross-fade between two sounds from the pedal. Or have a gradual fade from 1-120 and then suddenly a different sound alltogether in the very upper range. Say, brass.

At another occasion, I sent some pre-recorded voicover FX to a hidden speaker on stage (via interface sub out) so the voice would come exactly from there, talking to the actor. Or a phone ring from beneath a table where the actual phone is sitting. Such things can be easily done using Logic's built-in sampler EXS24.

The good thing about this is that I can prepare those setups or parts thereof, like recordings etc., at home and take them with me on the MacBook. Otherwise, I'd have to set up a bulky and heavy Kurz or whatever every time I want to change something in the setup.

Sometimes people want their CD tracks played (for sing-along or whatever). No problem, import it into the computer, play it from there any time.

Once we even had the situation that we needed a specific jingle for a show. With the MacBook, I was able to do that from scratch backstage, again using my mini keyboard.

I think the overall flexibility of this production system can't be beat with any hardware battleship, however costly and physically menacing. The best of all is the portability (c. 2kg). And this is only the beginning!

If I was totally crazy, I could even think about MIDI to DMX, controlling lighting from the same central place. Theoretically. That is of course better done from another place and person (my job is playing the piano ), but it would certainly be possible if I wanted.

I realize the described setup is a tiny bit more complex than most standard live situations, but for me, there would be no other way that works the way this does.

In addition, I have the luxury of playing an instrument as beautiful and expressive like PT! Which by the way, like the whole system, has never let me down crash-wise. Just CPU could be a bit faster at times.

In a way, I can say I already have that mythical "all in one" box you are talking about (and I've been dreaming of this for years). It is a Dual 2GHz MacBook (not even the Pro version), and it does not only keyboard sounds but most everything one can imagine – I am actually sitting here and writing this post on it

Last edited by Gizmao (04-02-2009 16:03)

Wow, that sure is one helluva setup! I understand now what you meant with "limitless capability". Still it might be a little bit complicated for someone like me who just wants to sit down and play, and eventually tinker with sound editing (I actually like programming sounds really much!). We have different "mythical all-in-one boxes", as I see

Congratulations on getting yours to work for you. I'm still gonna need to wait for mine...

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I believe and know that modelling is the future, and it's just a matter of time before it replaces sample-based systems in some fields where they are not satisfactory anymore (pianos being first in line).

Interesting discussion gentlemen (although I admittedly don't follow half of what you're talking about).

However I do well understand the quote above from EvilDragon, and repost it here because it hits the mark.

The sample "people" are still trying hard but the very old technology they are using is very limiting.  The basic technology of samples is:

1.  record a sound electronically with a microphone, (which converts the sound energy to electrical impulses),

2,  convert the impulses to analog or digital format (series of numbers),

3.  store this converted information on a physical medium (LP, tape, CD, RAM, etc),

4.  electronically retrieve the impulses/numbers from the medium,

5.  convert the impulses/numbers into impulses to be transcribed by speakers to reproduce the original sound from the sample.

Isn't this what Edison did?  Well over 100 years ago?

Consider then that the first four steps introduce errors of conversion; what are the chances of perfection?  And this is the easy part.

Then consider that samples are just little bits (or lumps) of the original sound which can't realistically produce the tones from musical instruments which vary continuously with time, in amplitude (dynamics), pitch, timbre, etc.

A more accurate method is to generate signals that vary continuously with time in response to the rapidly varying nuances of the musician (rather than in lumps which is what sample based sounds are).

Whenever I listen to sample based piano music, I recall Brook Benton's pop song, the title of which pretty well sums up the end of sample based technology, "It's Just A Matter of Time".

Sure, it's a matter of time, but we're not quite there yet. Still the real acoustic realm is a bit more complex than what can be simulated. Thus the illusion is not perfect though it gets extremely close at times.

Go to http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/for...um.php?f=5 and listen. Some of the user demos are quite stunning.

On the other hand, for certain things like drums the sampling approach does very well and I don't see modeling getting there anytime soon. Anything that has transients (attack noises) seems a bit harder to do convincingly in modeling. And it's these transients that make much of the expressivity.

Time will tell...

OK this WIVI thing blows away EWQLSO. And VSL. DAMN!

Let's see how are they gonna do strings...

Hard work and guts!

Strings. YES. YES. YES!!!

Next will be saxes (there's already a tenor in the current demo). They sure will rock

Last edited by Gizmao (05-02-2009 22:07)

I'm noticing a bit of "chipmunk" effect in the V-Piano demos. By that, I mean that sometimes when playing single notes one after the other, it sounds like a single *sample* transposed, rather than individually synthesized notes.  One instance is about 1min56s in to:
http://media.roland.com/en/v/v0694/v069404M.mov
(lasts a few seconds)  I just haven't noticed this problem in Pianoteq.

But overall the Roland sounds superb, but part of that is presumably the superior reverb. (I'm just using Pianoteq with it's inbuilt reverb, which I don't think is very good. I instantly notice the better reverbs in my physical digital piano when I switch to it)

Greg.

Last edited by skip (07-02-2009 02:01)

I was thinking about...
What would be the right interface changes to make Pianoteq more competitive to V-Piano?

The independent adjusts of features along bass to trebble are already coming to the new version. So what more we could add?

What about the V-Piano features, like metalic sound adjust and silver strings option?

About tuning, I would like to be able to increase voicing adujust by get needle adjust (chane chape of hammers).

Dos anybody have more sugestions???

The questions I have about the V-Piano are:

1.  Can the software (ROM) be updated?  Because we know that there will be improvements in time - perhaps within a year or so.

2.  Does the V-Piano rely on hardware synthesis in any way?  If so, then an upgrade would be impossible.

We "only" get one year's free upgrade with Pianoteq, and after that we buy the full package, but it's still only 259 Euros.

If you can't upgrade the "engine" of the V-Piano, then the only option for upgrading is to buy the latest model - and we all know what that routine costs - considerably more than a new Pianoteq.

Glenn

JayPi wrote:

Just try pianoteq with a pair of real good headphones.

HD595s?

Beto-Music wrote:

[...] The independent adjusts of features along bass to trebble are already coming to the new version. [...]

Yes, it is true that we are working on implementation of that feature, but it is not for Pianoteq 3, it is for another forthcoming product.

Glenn NK wrote:

[...] We "only" get one year's free upgrade with Pianoteq, and after that we buy the full package, but it's still only 259 Euros. [...]

In general, licence holders of Pianoteq will not have to pay full price for an upgrade. As promised, the upgrade to version 3 (coming very soon) will be free for all customers.

Fogwall wrote:

As promised, the upgrade to version 3 (coming very soon) will be free for all customers.

I haven't been a license holder for very long so was wondering how you generally release upgrades? Do you post previews or feature/improvement lists before release or do we just get an email one day saying come and get it? I'd love to hear about any new instruments and /or new features before release!

Beto-Music wrote:

What about the V-Piano features, like metalic sound adjust and silver strings option?

That "metallic adjust" in V-Piano sounds excellent - I hope Pianoteq gets this at some stage.

Greg.

BazC wrote:

Do you post previews or feature/improvement lists before release or do we just get an email one day saying come and get it?

As soon as it is available, we will announce it on our site. Those subscribing to the newsletter will receive the news by email.

Fogwall wrote:
BazC wrote:

Do you post previews or feature/improvement lists before release or do we just get an email one day saying come and get it?

As soon as it is available, we will announce it on our site. Those subscribing to the newsletter will receive the news by email.

So no previews then? Pity Looking  forward to the new version anyway, thanks!

Philippe, Niclas, any chance to post some extra mp3 of the upcoming version?

Glenn NK wrote:

1.  Can the software (ROM) be updated?  Because we know that there will be improvements in time - perhaps within a year or so.

Yes, V-Piano is updatable via USB.

Melodialworks wrote:
Glenn NK wrote:

Yes, V-Piano is updatable via USB.

Thanks, I couldn't find anything in the specifications that mentioned it.

Glenn