Re: Windows 10? Anything we should know?

EvilDragon wrote:

Do you see other Windows users going into all the Linux threads here bashing Linux? No.

In general on the net, in fact yes, but not very often - less and less actually.

Why? It's not very hard to guess, when you notice that as GRB pointed out, one has been gaining tons and tons of money by destroying and corrupting for as long as it has existed, while the other sincerely tries to help and build, and asks for nothing in return.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Pianoteq runs flawlessly on my recent upgraded laptop to Windows 10.

I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 so not much trouble at all. All my drivers and applications are functioning ok (ASIO et all).

Personally, I'm disappointed with this iteration of Windows (it seems that I'm running a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 8 with a KDEish look all at the same time).

It seems incomplete. Perhaps in time the experience goes better... I think that for desktop usage, Windows 7 is still my favourite version.

Cheers!

Last edited by mfiadeiro (12-08-2015 10:17)

mfiadeiro wrote:

Pianoteq runs flawlessly on my recent upgraded laptop to Windows 10.

I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 so not much trouble at all. All my drivers and applications are functioning ok (ASIO et all).

Personally, I'm disappointed with this iteration of Windows (it seems that I'm running a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 8 with a KDEish look all at the same time).

It seems incomplete. Perhaps in time the experience goes better... I think that for desktop usage, Windows 7 is still my favourite version.

Cheers!

Very accurate analysis.  The Linux Action Show reviewed it.  They actually paid about $300.00 for the complete version because they had no old version of WinDO$ to upgrade.  They reported just as you have that it has an unfinished look with a mix of old and new style icons.  In fact, they say the actual completion date isn't until October or after.  So what's available now is more or less a pre-release version according to them.  I have several versions of WinDO$ sitting around on drives that have never been booted, but I don't have enough interest to waste time fooling with it.  Pianoteq runs perfectly on Linux Mint 17.2 so there just isn't a need.  Plus I would never have purchased Pianoteq if it didn't run on Linux in the first place.  I think Pianoteq is one of the finest software programs I have ever seen and the developers have done a wonderful job.  It's just great they have made a version that's Linux native.  Not to offend any WinDO$ fan dragons, but often we Linux users get the short end of the stick when quality software is not released in a native Linux version.  You really can't discuss WinDO$ without bringing up Linux because Linux is in fact a very viable choice so the real question might be:  "Is it better to upgrade to WinDO$ 10 or to a more secure user friendly alternative that would be more enduring and less costly over the long haul?"

Last edited by GRB (12-08-2015 12:47)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

delt wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Do you see other Windows users going into all the Linux threads here bashing Linux? No.

In general on the net, in fact yes, but not very often - less and less actually.

Why? It's not very hard to guess, when you notice that as GRB pointed out, one has been gaining tons and tons of money by destroying and corrupting for as long as it has existed, while the other sincerely tries to help and build, and asks for nothing in return.

Don't you know that WinDO$ represents "innovation," and the monopoly practices conviction that M$ received in a multi-state suit in the US courts was overturned by the great US president Busch?  Do you remember the days when Linux was easy to install as a dual-boot alongside WinDO$, but M$ went out of their way to have the hardware BIOS changed to make sure that booting Linux on the same machine would present a huge challenge to the Linux community?  As far as bashing Linux, there is less and less to bash, because it just keeps getting better and better and easier to use.

Did you know there's an interesting Pianoteq feature when it's running on Linux?  Did your realize that you can run two versions of Pianoteq simultaneously on Linux?  This allows you to layer pianos or to fatten up the sound by having two different string lengths sounding at the same time.  Does anyone know if this can be done when running it on WinDO$?  I rather doubt it because WinDO$ never had the same multitasking ability as Linux as far as I know, but I really haven't used it for probably over 10 years.  Nevertheless, I would like to know the answer.

Last edited by GRB (12-08-2015 12:56)

GRB wrote:

Very accurate analysis.  The Linux Action Show reviewed it.  They actually paid about $300.00 for the complete version because they had no old version of WinDO$ to upgrade.  They reported just as you have that it has an unfinished look with a mix of old and new style icons.  In fact, they say the actual completion date isn't until October or after.  So what's available now is more or less a pre-release version according to them.  I have several versions of WinDO$ sitting around on drives that have never been booted, but I don't have enough interest to waste time fooling with it.  Pianoteq runs perfectly on Linux Mint 17.2 so there just isn't a need.  Plus I would never have purchased Pianoteq if it didn't run on Linux in the first place.  I think Pianoteq is one of the finest software programs I have ever seen and the developers have done a wonderful job.  It's just great they have made a version that's Linux native.  Not to offend any WinDO$ fan dragons, but often we Linux users get the short end of the stick when quality software is not released in a native Linux version.  You really can't discuss WinDO$ without bringing up Linux because Linux is in fact a very viable choice so the real question might be:  "Is it better to upgrade to WinDO$ 10 or to a more secure user friendly alternative that would be more enduring and less costly over the long haul?"

For me, my OS of choice would be BSD... I'll try if Pianoteq runs on it. For the near future, I don't see myself leaving the Windows ecosystem; my job requires it and already made significant investment on software...

What a bizarre hysterical thread.

I've so far upgraded 3 machines to Windows 10 and basically everything has worked fine (including Pianoteq).
One one machine I needed to reinstall my Waves License Manager (because it thought it had woken up in a new computer, bless). That's it.  Windows 10 is faster, easier to navigate, and they've improved CHKDSK. It was also free.  Total time spent fiddling was less than an hour for 3 machines (and when I say "fiddling" I just mean clicking "Next" a few times and waiting for the progress bar to complete).

GRB wrote:

Did you know there's an interesting Pianoteq feature when it's running on Linux?  Did your realize that you can run two versions of Pianoteq simultaneously on Linux?  This allows you to layer pianos or to fatten up the sound by having two different string lengths sounding at the same time.  Does anyone know if this can be done when running it on WinDO$?  I rather doubt it because WinDO$ never had the same multitasking ability as Linux as far as I know, but I really haven't used it for probably over 10 years.  Nevertheless, I would like to know the answer.

It's totally possible, of course. Multitasking is just fine in Windows. It's been the case for quite a long time now.

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-08-2015 16:17)
Hard work and guts!

GRB wrote:

I really haven't used it for probably over 10 years.

So, basically you haven't a clue what you're talking about? :-D  Thanks for clearing that up

feline1 wrote:
GRB wrote:

I really haven't used it for probably over 10 years.

So, basically you haven't a clue what you're talking about? :-D  Thanks for clearing that up

um, that would be true for just about anything else.... but (1) when you know how microsoft work and how they do things, ....no. Just no. They will however tone down the complete deficiency in their products ONLY if it brings them more money and strangle grip over the IT market in the long run.

Also (2) notice he said he hasn't "used" it in 10 years. Not "checked to see if it sucks donkey balls as usual". Or "been stuck helping someone with a w**dows problem"

/* edit */

mfiadeiro wrote:

For me, my OS of choice would be BSD... I'll try if Pianoteq runs on it.

Please keep us updated if it does work.

Yeah, if Linux didn't exist, i'd say probably a system like FreeBSD, or maybe OpenBSD, would have filled the same role, with about the same results. FreeBSD became less popular because it started a few years after Linux did, but it's still a very viable system with lots of potential.

Last edited by delt (12-08-2015 21:49)

GRB wrote:

Did you know there's an interesting Pianoteq feature when it's running on Linux?  Did your realize that you can run two versions of Pianoteq simultaneously on Linux?  This allows you to layer pianos or to fatten up the sound by having two different string lengths sounding at the same time.  Does anyone know if this can be done when running it on WinDO$?

I do this all the time by loading Pianoteq into 2+ tracks of my DAW, Sonar Platinum. Not exactly what you are looking for, of course. Hey, do you know if it's possible to run Sonar Platinum on any version of Linux? And if so, do you have to run Steam or somesuch on Linux first and then run Sonar on top of that? I don't know if you can run two instances of Pianoteq on Windows or not. And if you can't, then I don't know if that is a limitation imposed by Windows or the version of Pianoteq compiled for Windows. Is the Linux version of Pianoteq dual+ runnable on Linux because Linux has the power or because there is a specific version of Pianoteq for Linux? I have no idea, myself. So many damn questions where all these computers are concerned! All I really know is that right now, using Windows, I can do pretty much whatever I want and need to do and I don't have the time nor the inclination to go looking for something else. If anyone else does or if they have already found it, then great. So, yeah, that's pretty much where I am now on all this.

(Of course, to a certain extent, we are all doing the same thing no matter what OS we are doing it with...sitting, standing, back-flipping, whatever, in front of a rectangular box and twiddling our fingers over it for a bit before going onto more important matters, like making music...which is what I am going to do now....on a Steinway!).

mabry wrote:

I do this all the time by loading Pianoteq into 2+ tracks of my DAW, Sonar Platinum.

Renoise here. The advantage of running multiple instances in a DAW or plugin host is that you don't have to reload presets in each instance, you just save your project file, and reload it, and all this is taken care of by the DAW / host.

mabry wrote:

Hey, do you know if it's possible to run Sonar Platinum on any version of Linux?

Sonar is a windows program. It "might" work in other systems using WINE, but that would add a bunch of complications on top of being a windows program, and it would really not be the ideal as far as audio latency goes.

mabry wrote:

I don't know if you can run two instances of Pianoteq on Windows or not.

Apparently yes, according to EvilDragon. Not very difficult to find out, just run it once and then try to run it again.

mabry wrote:

Is the Linux version of Pianoteq dual+ runnable on Linux because Linux has the power or because there is a specific version of Pianoteq for Linux?

It's just basic multitasking. Linux does have a much better, more stable, and more optimized multitasking engine than windows, and the reason is simple: thousands of people across the world have been working hard to improve it in the last 20 years. It's all about improving and creating the best you can create. On the other hand, you have a completely sh*tty, selfish, monopolistic corporation selling either complete junk or stolen products and ideas for about 35 years, and they'll make their products only "good" enough to sell, sell, and sell - in order to make even more money on "upgrades" and on tech support. It's all about the money, marketing, presentation, and facade. And of course grabbing control of pretty much everything they can.

/* edit */ Someone mentioned BSD earlier.... on the topic of selling stolen products, did you know that most of windows's network functionality, at least as of about 5-10 years ago, was stolen directly from a BSD system? (no one really knows which exactly) ...this was proven by a vulnerability in the BSD tcp/ip code, which also affected all windows versions in the exact same way. I don't remember the exact details, but you can look it up.

Last edited by delt (12-08-2015 22:24)

This thread is ridiculous! What started as a benign question about using pianoteq on the latest Windows escalated in a religious OS war! All three major OSes have pros and cons, are a simple question of personal preference and/or other software needs and the choice makes NO difference whatsoever since pianoteq is built upon the JUCE framework that guarantees the SAME experience on Windows, OSX or Linux! If I were the site admin, I would lock that thread that is getting completely out of hand for a pianoteq discussion!

delt wrote:

Linux does have a much better, more stable, and more optimized multitasking engine than windows

Source, numbers, benchmarks? Anything CONCRETE to back up your claim apart from subjective bias?

More stable? I don't remember when Windows crashed over multitasking. Even XP was pretty good, but W7 is rock-solid. As for efficiency, W10 is really extremely efficient.

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-08-2015 22:22)
Hard work and guts!

Gilles wrote:

This thread is ridiculous! What started as a benign question about using pianoteq on the latest Windows escalated in a religious OS war! All three major OSes have pros and cons, are a simple question of personal preference and/or other software needs and the choice makes NO difference whatsoever since pianoteq is built upon the JUCE framework that guarantees the SAME experience on Windows, OSX or Linux! If I were the site admin, I would lock that thread that is getting completely out of hand for a pianoteq discussion!

Good thing JUCE exists. All i have to say.

...as far as locking this thread, that would be censorship, because there is absolutely no valid reason for doing so.

EvilDragon wrote:

Source, numbers, benchmarks? Anything CONCRETE to back up your claim apart from subjective bias?
More stable? I don't remember when Windows crashed over multitasking. Even XP was pretty good, but W7 is rock-solid. As for efficiency, W10 is really extremely efficient.

Look it up. Or better, test it yourself.

Anyway, my opinion on the original question is, if windows works for you, then good, fine, and dandy. If you're sick and tired, and have HAD IT with microsoft, which is the case for LOTS of people, then just know that other alternatives exist - a very good and FREE one being Linux. Again, for someone who's computer-illiterate and asks me what computer to get, i always say "get a mac". Worth the extra money, and will save you lots of headaches.

Last edited by delt (12-08-2015 22:41)

delt wrote:

Look it up. Or better, test it yourself.

You're proposing the claim, the onus is on you to submit the evidence.

Hard work and guts!

delt wrote:

(...) because there is absolutely no valid reason for doing so.

Locking the thread may be a step too far, yes, but other than that, I’m in complete agreement with Gilles and Evil Dragon: you and GRB have certainly provided ample cause for most thinking men to be more than a little fed up with the utter nonsense that the both of you have excreted in this thread.

Disliking or finding fault with Windows, and the company behind it, is one thing — and on certain days of the week I might even join in, just as I would with people criticizing OSX and its creators — but the puerile, mindless, distorted, unsubstantiated and pseudo-informed rants which you two have engaged in, have no place outside a Convention of Microsoft-bashing Linuxified Imbeciles.

_

Piet De Ridder wrote:
delt wrote:

Locking the thread may be a step too far, yes, but other than that, I’m in complete agreement with Gilles and Evil Dragon: you and GRB have certainly provided ample cause for most thinking men to be more than a little fed up with the utter nonsense that the both of you have excreted in this thread.

Disliking or finding fault with Windows, and the company behind it, is one thing — and on certain days of the week I might even join in, just as I would with people criticizing OSX and its creators — but the puerile, mindless, distorted, unsubstantiated and pseudo-informed rants which you two have engaged in, have no place outside a Convention of Microsoft-bashing Linuxified Imbeciles.

This imbecile (raises hand) maybe can't play the piano/keyboards as well as you Piet, but still can certainly make the claim that, in spite of being an imbecile, has helped many people who were, as mentioned earlier, FED UP with microsoft and all their bull...uh, crud.. to get rid of this rather dodgy company and their deficient products, by simply installing a free distro of a free OS on their computer. (this imbecile's own parents, neighbour's mother, friends, etc) For the several weeks/months/years since then, these people have been very happy with their computer, occasionally asking this imbecile for advice/assistance on certain points, but still very happy overall.

(btw, childish name calling is where it's officially no longer censorship, but good practice to lock down a thread. No idea if you did this on purpose, but anyway)

Piet De Ridder wrote:

unsubstantiated pseudo-informed rants

Please read the above posts more carefully.

Last edited by delt (13-08-2015 08:25)

delt wrote:

Please read the above posts more carefully.

We have done.  That's why we all think you're being a dick. 

All that really needs to be said on this thread is:
if you currently run Windows 7 or 8.1, and are wondering whether Pianoteq will still run OK if you do the free upgrade to Windows 10, the answer is "Yes, it will!". 

By all means back everything up first, JUST IN CASE the upgrade goes pearshaped (y'all always back everything up anyways, of course, right? )
Windows 10 has more better stuff in it ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Improvements+in+Windows+10 ), get it now while it's free!

Last edited by feline1 (13-08-2015 13:02)

Piet De Ridder wrote:
delt wrote:

_

Sounds like a personal attack on forum members and their opinions to me.  It's one thing to criticize WinDO$ and another thing to start throwing insults at forum members who are highly contented Pianoteq owners expressing honest and well founded opinions.  It's amazing that the monopoly O$ includes many whiners, but then again it's totally understandable.

Last edited by GRB (13-08-2015 14:13)

@delt
That took me back...
I had joined DEC (digital equipment corporation) in 1968 - 47 years ago, - - time flies, I am STILL having fun.

I "put in some time" at Bell labs in '69 and '70  by which time we were shipping PDP-9s to them, same basic 18 bit instruction set.
In those days "programmers"  would complain that their code didn't work because the hardware was designed "wrong" and the documentation of machine code level instructions was less than perfect, so we would investigate alleged design shortcomings.
I don't remember the gentleman in that video, he appears quite youthful for what I guess to be his age, but time changes our appearance

I will note that the Richie/Thompson PDP-7 was barely recognizable as a "PDP-7", so we (DEC personnel) would have to ask what some of the extra hardware and modifications were - and why.
It was certainly a vibrant environment and the term "ego'less programming" has stuck with me - and has led to ego'less design, ego'less engineering, etc.

The BIG thing I remember from later years of M$DOS was when they went head to head with Lotus.
Supposedly they went to great lengths to ensure backward compatibility for M$ code while deliberately changing things that Lotus was dependent on.
The motto for DOS releases being "It ain't done 'til Lotus doesn't run".

Fast forward to the demise of DEC, I joined Stratus in 1995 and somewhen around 2000 through various mergers and acquisitions I found myself working for Lucent technologies (Bell labs successor).
I think a lot of the Bell labs spirit had been sucked out by Ma Bell by then and the squadrons of MBAs who thought they could run things by formal structure and accountability.  So much for creative freedom )-;

aandrmusic wrote:

@delt
That took me back...
I had joined DEC (digital equipment corporation) in 1968 - 47 years ago, - - time flies, I am STILL having fun.

I "put in some time" at Bell labs in '69 and '70  by which time we were shipping PDP-9s to them, same basic 18 bit instruction set.
In those days "programmers"  would complain that their code didn't work because the hardware was designed "wrong" and the documentation of machine code level instructions was less than perfect, so we would investigate alleged design shortcomings.
I don't remember the gentleman in that video, he appears quite youthful for what I guess to be his age, but time changes our appearance

Really?? That's awesome!!!

aandrmusic wrote:

The BIG thing I remember from later years of M$DOS was when they went head to head with Lotus.
Supposedly they went to great lengths to ensure backward compatibility for M$ code while deliberately changing things that Lotus was dependent on.

Exactly the kind of fact i've been pointing out all along this thread, and for which i've been called a "dick", a "linuxified microsoft-bashing imbecile", accused of mindless, unsubstantiated ranting, and so on.

But what do you want to hear guys, it's the truth.

delt wrote:
aandrmusic wrote:

Exactly the kind of fact i've been pointing out all along this thread, and for which i've been called a "dick", a "linuxified microsoft-bashing imbecile", accused of mindless, unsubstantiated ranting, and so on.

But what do you want to hear guys, it's the truth.

Because this thread isn't about "can I run a bloated cumbersome email & office client called Lotus Notes on Windows 10?", it's about "can I run Pianoteq on Windows 10?", and the answer is simply "Yes you can, it works fine ".

Ranting about some prehistoric version of DOS would make about as much sense as if I started ranting about how can you live in Canada, evil European settlers who non-consensually annexed an entire continent and committed near genocide against the native Americans and are currently enacting ecological armageddon fracking tar sands for oil.  These are would also be controversial and interesting topics but they would have bugger all to do with whether you can run Pianoteq on Windows 10, and if I went on an on about them on this thread I would look like a mentalist.

Last edited by feline1 (15-08-2015 11:30)

Actually the title of the thread is: "Windows 10? Anything we should know?"  We haven't been off topic, we've been talking about WinDO$.  Having reflected on the subject, it's a bit ridiculous that apparently there is or was a high probability that there could be problems running Pianoteq on WinDO$ 10.  I would never start a thread entitled.  "Upgrading to the latest version of Linux Mint, anything I should know?"  Generally there are no significant problems upgrading Linux distributions at least when it comes to running an application like Pianoteq.  But as WinDO$ users have pointed out, 10 is just a partially finished facelift of 7, so basically it's the same baggage as before, but with a new identity tag.  I wonder if M$ has in its plans the development of a virtual piano so they can monopolize that market too?  One scenario I can envision is that M$ buys out Modartt, and calls it "M$piano," at which point they would pull the Linux version off the market.  This would be in line with their past practices.

Last edited by GRB (15-08-2015 13:23)

I agree, the thread was started on the well founded assumption/belief that whatever M$lop produces will merely be re-packaged bugs plus a whole lot of "undocumented features" and users should be wary of it.
There are not similar threads for base Linux or any of the distros.

Backward compatibility for anything not specifically M$ is always "undefined".
Ahhh, I forget what pretentious label they use these days - "M$ certified" or some such nonsense.

Anyway, I am still of the opinion that PTQ might work, or might APPEAR to work, for a while.
As soon as something crops up that M$ want to do for their other interests the backward compatibility will be dropped in favor of whatever it conflicts with.
If you have any doubts about this check out a US medical facility some time, many are still having to run XP.

Before the mud slinging the tone was largely; "Perhaps it will run, but why WOULD you stay with Windoze, it never gets better, it just gets more bloated and less private".

Last edited by aandrmusic (15-08-2015 14:05)

GRB wrote:

I wonder if M$ has in its plans the development of a virtual piano so they can monopolize that market too?  One scenario I can envision is that M$ buys out Modartt, and calls it "M$piano," at which point they would pull the Linux version off the market.  This would be in line with their past practices.

THANK YOU for pointing that out to whoever thinks that

feline1 wrote:

Ranting about some prehistoric version of DOS would make about as much sense as if I started ranting about how can you live in Canada, evil European settlers [ ... ]

Incidentally, as i mentioned in another thread, windows still lugs around with it TONS of issues from its "prehistoric" DOS days. And M$ business practices haven't varied much over the last 30 years.

aandrmusic wrote:

Anyway, I am still of the opinion that PTQ might work, or might APPEAR to work, for a while.
As soon as something crops up that M$ want to do for their other interests the backward compatibility will be dropped in favor of whatever it conflicts with.

Has happened to many programs before. Is likely to happen to pianoteq sometime soon? Is something the OP of this thread would be interested in knowing? Apparently such points of interest are "off topic" and "mindless, unsubtantiated ranting" in this thread.....

Last edited by delt (15-08-2015 17:40)

delt wrote:

windows still lugs around with it TONS of issues from its "prehistoric" DOS days.

Like what, exactly? Windows has no connections to DOS since XP, really. It doesn't even have any connections to 16-bit code anymore, at all.

Hard work and guts!

aandrmusic wrote:

If you have any doubts about this check out a US medical facility some time, many are still having to run XP.

...and none of them are running linux

The reason medical applications sometimes end up staying on legacy applications is because the regulatory industry (sic) has such onerous audit requirements for medical devices, the device manufacturers often simply cannot afford/don't have the resources to fully re-test things every time and upgrade is available.  That was certainly something I encountered when working in software engineering in that sector.

I've also worked in IT depts on NHS Trusts in the UK, however, and aside from these legacy applications, all the basic server and desktop infrastructure was generally well up to date (eg the one I worked at was doing its Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 roll-out in Q1/2 of 2010, which was pretty prompt.

EvilDragon wrote:
delt wrote:

windows still lugs around with it TONS of issues from its "prehistoric" DOS days.

Like what, exactly? Windows has no connections to DOS since XP, really. It doesn't even have any connections to 16-bit code anymore, at all.

Conversely I'm quite sure *nix platforms have no connections whatsoever to legacy 1960s code. /rollseyes/

EvilDragon wrote:
delt wrote:

That's what they said with windows 95. Then with 98. Then with pretty much every version since then. It's true that since XP, the whole windows core + graphic shell isn't just a DOS application like it was before. Actually that was the case with NT as well even before XP, NT was proven to be heavily based on code stolen from IBM that was left over from MS dropping their half of the OS/2 project and deciding to dominate the world with windows - they just slapped the windows UI and the microsoft name on top of it. You can easily look this up on wikipedia or elsewhere on the web, before you point the finger at me and start your childish name-calling this time. (personally, i clearly remember this little incident from my high school / college days) Then they re-used that same "kernel" code in pretty much every windows since then. (a kernel in a DLL file, lmao)

feline1 wrote:

Conversely I'm quite sure *nix platforms have no connections whatsoever to legacy 1960s code. /rollseyes/

The whole unix mentality is that you develop a tool that does one job, does that job reliably, and does it well. Then, for more complex tasks, you combine such tools. So if a tool or piece of code that was written, and written well, 60 years ago is still being used today, so what? We're still at the exact opposite of microsoft's failed jell-o of broken functionality attempt at the "swiss army knife" of computing that doesn't know if it's a browser, an OS, a word processor, or any or none or all of the above.

The Unix model was designed to be able to adapt to future technologies. That's why it's still used today, not because some greedy corporation is forcing it down everyone's throat. Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD etc. along with the GNU project are complete rewrites of this model, so they obviously don't have any common source code with the original Unix from Bell Labs / AT&T, even though of course much of the functionality is the same. I can't say about OS X or other commercial Unix-based systems, because most of their components are closed-sourced and therefore there's no easy way of knowing if they re-used/stole code from the original AT&T Unix.

Last edited by delt (16-08-2015 03:58)

Right, so Windows is terrible and Unix is amazing, even though you insist Windows is just some stolen Unix code   Yes I can certainly follow your logic there. 
And Unix is great even cos it hasn't needed to be rewritten since the 1960s. Apart from all the flavours that have been completely rewritten. But Windows is terrible because hasn't been rewritten and is just a reskinned DOS.

Have you been taking lessons in logic from Monty Python?

feline1 wrote:

Right, so Windows is terrible and Unix is amazing, even though you insist Windows is just some stolen Unix code   Yes I can certainly follow your logic there. 
And Unix is great even cos it hasn't needed to be rewritten since the 1960s. Apart from all the flavours that have been completely rewritten. But Windows is terrible because hasn't been rewritten and is just a reskinned DOS.

Have you been taking lessons in logic from Monty Python?

Nah, they both serve their intended purpose very well.

Open-source/GNU Unix systems:

* Give freedom to the user
* Create open, well-documented standards that everyone can freely use and improve
* Be free of charge
* Be free as in free speech
* Be easily adapted to new technologies

Microsoft products:

* Put a cage around the user
* Corrupt the IT market with closed, proprietary standards that are purposely designed to not work with anything non-microsoft
* Bring even more money to microsoft
* Bring even more power to microsoft over their user base, among other things forcing them in a perpetual "upgrade cycle"
* Clobber and destroy any technologies that go against microsoft's strangle grip of the IT market (fortunately a few technologies have escaped this fate)
* Use their existing monopolies to creep into other markets (gaming, cell phones, non-computer/broadcast/printed media...)
* Start the same cycle again in those markets

btw, do you always see thing so black-or-white, or are you joking? Windows wasn't originally based "only" on stolen unix code. As i mentioned before, it started out as a "pretty face" for DOS. DOS was first known as QDOS, which stood for Quick'n Dirty Operating System. This was heavily based on a system called CP/M which was popular in the 1970's for those early intel-based computers you plugged on a TV - CP/M in turn was a cheap imitation of the first Unix systems from the late 1960's. As for stolen unix code, around the 3.1x / NT times, windows also "acquired" networking functionality from BSD systems (a few other systems also did, but at least these credited and made the source code of these networking components available) I've said all this before, but here it is again with links to references.

Last edited by delt (16-08-2015 17:47)

Why are you here inside the restrictive cage of proprietary closed-source £ianoteq software, then? 
Locking you into paying for its perpetual upgrade and improvement cycle?
And its evil "add-ins" system, forcing users of virtual marimbas to be bound and straightjacketed by their £iano app?
(etc etc etc)

Sorry I can't type much more, I'm oppressed by the monthly free Windows updates and free Windows 10 upgrade.

Last edited by feline1 (16-08-2015 17:49)

dude, you really need to (1) read the whole post before replying and (2) think of a better comeback.

And YOU need to leave us content Windows users alone and stop forcing your opinions on everyone.

Last edited by EvilDragon (16-08-2015 19:13)
Hard work and guts!

delt wrote:

dude, you really need to (1) read the whole post before replying and (2) think of a better comeback.

Really? Seemed a pretty good comeback to me, as you had nothing to counter it with   I guess you'll have to stop using evil closed-source proprietary ££ianoteq now