Re: Suggestions for a new piano

aandrmusic:

There are a few end user sample sets that could provide source data without introducing the unnecessary flaws, defects, and sampling errors contained in most products... into the model.  But then again, we are seeing some of these defects in the PT models/patches themselves... hence their interest in finding edited fxp's that might be possibly used to update/reset the model. 

And their models are getting better.  The Bluethner ...harmonically speaking, requires far less tweeking than the Steinway which requires extensive editing and still you can't get all the problems out.  And the big problem with that much editing ...is that often you end up chasing your tail... much like what happens when you try to rescue a mix and after hours and hours of editing, you oversaturate yourself to the point of returning to the mix a few days later only to find it still isn't as right as you thought it was. 

It is remarkable how close the PT model is to the Steinway D I sampled in the 90's right down to some interesting details and this highlights the importance of starting with a source piano that is well prepared, well tuned (with someone who can tune right there while the samples are being taken), and with a mic setup that minimizes artifacts created by mic error. 

We tried averaging away the harmonic errors but it's a delicate process... averaging too much obliterates the "character" of the piano.  And we found that creating a harmonically perfect piano was actually less appealing in most cases than leaving the defects.  But both extremes were objectionable and so it's the delicate process of figuring out just how much to edit so you don't take it over the edge.

I would like to see more piano variety as well and fewer old clunky pianos modeled ...but it looks like these clunkers were probably an early on necessity to develop what the modeling software needed to address.  These pianos can be useful for cartoon tracks (not kidding) and documentaries like the Ken Burns Civil War series where clunky pianos add to the sense of time in which the documented events occurred.  So for film scoring, arranging and production, these old models can be a useful addition to your library but for today's live performance and music productions the peak demand is for an unclunky gorgeous piano.

We'll see what PT comes up with next... right now, I've located a well signatured Baldwin Concert Grand in a large warehouse... a tempting prospect.

Last edited by wdco (02-08-2015 10:05)

I'd like a Steinway Vertegrand
I like very much the sound of the Abbey Road's piano called "Mrs Mills"

Kawai is a good one, or so I heard. Anyway, since you seem to know a lot about pianos, do you know where to look for the best Kawai pianos for sale? Or even a Yamaha one. I would really appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance!

click here: http://www.llpianos.co.uk/pianos-for-sale.html

I would also backup those who support Kawai Shigeru (it's not the same thing as Kawai Ex at all, btw)

I also think there is a certain marketing benefit for Modart in it. Shigeru is definitely an excellent, unique and full of character hand-made instrument. But there are 0 opportunities at it on the market of VSTis. You won't find even a single sampled library of it, available for wide audience. There is only samples of unknown quality developed by Nord to be used in their own digital pianos, i.e. you can't use it unless you own their gear which supports it. Adding something really unique, and at the same time of such high quality, to their product would benefit Modart significantly.

Last edited by AlexS (30-06-2016 16:51)

wdco wrote:

But PT pianos are not free of annoying defects either... it's just that those defects are not AS annoying because you can edit 95% of them out... something you will never be able to do with an end user purchase of samples.  Some of the pianos like the Bluethner can be modified and edited nearly perfect, others like the D4 and K2 will take much more work... but if you're willing to do the work you can edit them into gorgeous magnificent instruments that any audience, any studio musician or engineer will immediately recognize.

I can actually understand that. I haven't been satisfied with how PTQ's models sound from the day one. I own Stage version, and my current instrument is K2 model, and it took days of trying and error from me to achieve something I would call "relatively rich and clean piano sound". I had only a limited set of tools, so had to do everything by combining some ready preset with reverb and delay effects from equalizer. I didn't like how all ready presets sound out-of-the-box, they were either "plastic" and devoid of overtones/reverberation, or too "muddy" with them. May be it because I play in headphones all the time - I've got impression that PTQ is deliberately provides presets which lack reverberation component because Modart expects you'll play it back through some speakers and your room and sound system will complete the generated sound.

I would really love to hear your thoughts on the subject, about how to properly adjust models to sound more naturally and realistic, wdco. Even if it'll assume you must have Standard version to achieve that.

I'd suggest the Petrof P1 Orchestra as a possible add-on, or maybe use it to update the D4, since this is the only piano closest to the Steinway sound aesthetic with extended range.
Below is a demo of this piano's extended range. Compare with the D4, you might be surprised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jQsje3_3c

I hope someone donates €50,000 (~100 days of studio time) to Modartt so they would have enough time to build the sample library needed for the production of this model.

Well, after I played extensively with the MKII stage which has become my favourite Rhodes, I would suggest the MKV to complete the range.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)