Re: Physically modeled pianos

Beto-Music wrote:

If LX 17 have the same technology it would have hammer hardness and string number adjustment, like V-piano had.

That is not 100% evidence either way. It's an assumption that may or may not be true.

Hard work and guts!

Yes, it's not a proof... I need to agree with you.
But if the Lx 17 technology allows that, it would be just pure stupidity to exclude such adjust keeping just keep noises and ressonances adjusts, while competitor like pianoteq have similar good features.

EvilDragon wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

If LX 17 have the same technology it would have hammer hardness and string number adjustment, like V-piano had.

That is not 100% evidence either way. It's an assumption that may or may not be true.

Last edited by Beto-Music (17-02-2016 23:43)

Beto-Music wrote:

And it was almost abandon...

Maybe Roland let it and went ot a diferent physical modelling, cause was difficult to reach perfect timbre

If Roland wanted to do something they have the capital to make it happen. Maybe they want to phase out the V-piano first before they unleash another similar product. Or maybe they want to reserve full physical modelling for the V-piano line. Who knows. They are a huge corporation, and I'm sure there are a lot more great ideas and work in progress in the engineering/R&D department that don't make it to the factory floor due to marketing and management decisions on what's best for the bottom line. It's the way it goes with big business.

3/2 = 5

Good observation Steve.

But if it was the case I presume Roland probably would have updated V-piano, if have the same Modeling technology, to catch up consumer's attention and as a justificative for the higher price compared to LX-17. 
V-piano at the time of release also have some few problems in the timbre, and probably still have.  V-piano grand sound a bit bete rin the vídeos, but it have a lot of wood pieces, a cabinet similar top a grand piano.

If I understand Piet well. LX-17 have a better timbre than V-piano.

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-02-2016 02:09)

Roland is getting all the attention these days haha ... How about Yamaha? They're throwing the word "modeling" around, too (not as aggressively, though, basically just modelling sympathetic resonance for now): http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-...mode=model

Technicalities aside, I think it sounds excellent in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfef5KULzD8

Last edited by Khoa (18-02-2016 08:27)

Beto,

The LX-series (and related keyboards) does allow for the editing of things like hammer hardness and such. As far as I can tell, one can’t change the number of strings or the material of the strings — the way we can on the V-Piano — but other than that, most other parameters seem to be in place. If you search the web for ‘Roland Piano Designer’, you’ll quickly discover what the app was developed in aid of, and which parameters it includes.
(Also on the web, there’s been some disappointment voiced over the absence of a ‘decay’ parameter.)

And yes, based on what I’ve heard so far, I’d say the LX sounds considerably better than the V-Piano. (Which I would never call that remarkable an achievement because, while certainly capable of some good things, beauty of timbre is, in my opinion, not what the V-Piano will ever be remembered for.)

Steve,

I still don’t understand your reasoning why, despite you accepting that the LX doesn’t have any piano samples on board, you keep refusing to call it a fully modeled instrument.

It’s simple, really, isn’t it? Either an instrument does contain samples, or it doesn’t (like the LX) in which case its output is, surely, to be declared fully modeled/synthesized, no? (Or, it can also be a combination of samples and modeling/synthesizing — like, for example, the SampleModeling wind instruments, or many of the Yamaha digital pianos —, but that doesn’t apply here.)

What was actually sampled and how these samples were then translated into model-defining code (or ‘parametrised’, as you call it), seems to me to be largely irrelevant when categorizing an instrument as ‘fully modeled’ or not. What is relevant, at least in my view, is how the sound is actually generated. If that happens without the use of any samples, it seems to me that ‘fully modeled/synthesized’ is the obvious and only correct description.

Khoa,
Here's a video comparing the LX-17, the Yamaha CLP585 and the Kawai CA97: (the actual playing starts at 3'05")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p...5I28#t=185
_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (18-02-2016 16:42)

Piet De Ridder wrote:

The LX-series (and related keyboards) does allow for the editing of things like hammer hardness and such.

If you compare the LX-7/LX-17 manual: http://www.roland.com/support/by_produc...als/350903 with the the pre-"fully modelled" sampled LX-15: http://www.roland.com/support/by_produc...nuals/8441, you'll see they have exactly the same user settings. The Roland Piano Designer is an add-on that works the same with a whole bunch of their sampled instruments as well, so it's got nothing to do with the on-board modelling.

Steve,

I still don’t understand your reasoning why, despite you accepting that the LX doesn’t have any piano samples on board, you keep refusing to call it a fully modeled instrument.

Yeah, it's a model of sorts, but it's not a physical model. Basically it's a highly efficient method of compressing individual note samples, that's all. And just look at the bloody marketing approach!! It's obvious BS: they attribute features that have been around for ages to the the brand new "revolutionary" no-samples modelling technology. And only such features, nothing else new!! It's dishonest smoke and mirrors razzle-dazzle.

Last edited by SteveLy (18-02-2016 17:37)
3/2 = 5

That V-Accordeon experience really bit you in the ankles, didn't it, Steve?

Never mind ..., modeled, not modeled, or modeled 'of sorts' ... at the end of the day, all that matters is what the thing is capable of, isn't it?

I'm in the market for a V-Piano replacement and while I'm not interested in any of the LX's as such (and fail to get excited about the sound of the Yamaha's or the Kawai's), I do have the beginnings of an eye — well, more the faintest of glints, to be honest — on the Kiyola which would be, furniture-wise, a much better fit in my studio than an LX. (And I don't need the speaker system of the LX anyway. Nor is the Kiyola infested with all those awful strings-, organ- and e.p.-sounds which always seem to find their way into digital pianos.)
The Kiyola still being a few months away (and there's also a rumour that it might not even ship to Europe), there's plenty of time to think this through or even change my mind (as I did last year with the Yamaha NU1 which I considered for a few weeks).

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (18-02-2016 20:05)

Beautiful thing this Kiyola! Nice Japanese minimalism and also very compact. The piano specs are the same as the LX-17 without any unwanted bells and whistles. Should be cheaper than the LX-17 but maybe the hand-made cabinet (if it is so) will bring the price up. Indeed it says on the page that *The KIYOLA KF-10 is only available in certain regions.

The included Debussy demo shows more the pros and cons of the modeling in my opinion: Awesome sharp and believable attack but still some artificiality in the sustained sound specially in the bass. Separate notes and ppp chords sound fine though.

Last edited by Gilles (18-02-2016 21:22)

Piet wrote:

It’s not a simple as that, I think. It’s tempting, I assume, to say that one sounds better than the other and be done with it, but a piano is such a complex thing, meaning so many different things to different people, and needing to be capable of so many different characters in different musical situations, that any simplification which declares one de facto superior to the other is either unfairly biased, regrettably ignorant (at least from a pianistic perspective), or kindly but foolishly loyal to the community here.

How true. I used to think that, given a couple of hours with an instrument, I could at least come to a conclusion about whether or not I liked it - whether it was right for me - whether I wanted to play it. I spent more than a couple of hours, more than once, with the V-Piano and came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. Now actually I'd like to go back and try it again because I've realised I think that my approach in those days was too narrow. In reality all I was doing was comparing new instruments to those I was used to playing. And by and large what I found was that they weren't the same. Surprise, surprise!

I've realised now that it takes me weeks or even months to get the hang of a new instrument - to find out how to open it up, how to get it to speak and sing. So I might have sort of given up trying to compare them - at least at the top end anyway. They're just different. Only solution - own them all!

The LX thing looks interesting - must check that out. But, like you (Piet), I have no need (or desire) for ghastly internal speaker systems and less still for cheesy organs and strings - oh dear. So the Kiyola thing may indeed be very interesting. Does anyone know, by the way, why a manufacturer like Roland would make such a product available only in 'certain regions'? Seems a little bizarre to me but I expect there's a sound commercial rationale.

I agree too that speculation as to how these instruments work, while potentially interesting, is rather beside the point from the player's perspective. And it can easily cease to be interesting when there isn't any real information to base it on, or it becomes pointlessly partisan. Whatever it is that Roland are up to it's clearly not for the feint-hearted and if we want to get our heads round it I expect we'd be best off going away and doing a few maths degrees first.

Last edited by IanL (19-02-2016 04:48)
N1X - PT Pro - Linux

For me it's almost insane that only now some brands are creating digital pianos with sympathetic ressonance. I'm not talking about physical modeling now.

Sympathetic ressonance, like string ressonance, pedal ressonance, and effects like fast repetition of a given key, are effects that was computer recreated 11 years ago by a guy named Kornel Mezzo, if I remamber well the name.  It was scripts to use with Kontact 2 in piano libraries.

The effects wasn't perfect like pianoteq harmonics, but was much better than digital piano effect around at the time.

Just the fact of a brands now are offer sympathetic ressonance and other harmonics, it's not enough, for today standarts, to call it modeled.

I'm not talking necessarily about Yamaha, because I don't know how their last digital piano is now.  I'm making a generic comentary only.

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-02-2016 18:45)

Piet De Ridder wrote:

That V-Accordeon experience really bit you in the ankles, didn't it, Steve?

It did not impress me much that's for sure.

Blatant lies about products do peeve me (not talking v-accord but current products) - i appreciate there is a need to hype, over-emphasise, even embellish the facts to keep up with your competitor doing the same thing but just outright lies about a product are something I detest (again, not talking about the v-accordion but the latest stuff including the LX-17).

I'm not anti-Roland, I just hate blatant lies. I could link youtube vids to where the official Roland rep (not the shop owner) outright lies about the product but it'd be a waste of time. Yet I would not knock back a Roland RD-800 if anyone wants to buy me one. In fact I'm sure I'd love it. I played it more than any other instrument at a major music store in Melbourne's CBD. My first non-acoustic instrument was a Roland PCM synth and I loved it. I've recommended a Roland product to this forum very recently; the FP-30. Can't be bothered finding the link.

This back and forth has gone on long enough. Anything more I could say would just be a waste of everyone's time and labouring the point.

Last edited by SteveLy (20-02-2016 02:42)
3/2 = 5

Piet De Ridder wrote:

I'm in the market for a V-Piano replacement and while I'm not interested in any of the LX's as such (and fail to get excited about the sound of the Yamaha's or the Kawai's), I do have the beginnings of an eye — well, more the faintest of glints, to be honest — on the Kiyola which would be, furniture-wise, a much better fit in my studio than an LX. (And I don't need the speaker system of the LX anyway. Nor is the Kiyola infested with all those awful strings-, organ- and e.p.-sounds which always seem to find their way into digital pianos.)

_

It looks absolutely stunning. This is the first time I looked with lust at a cabinet style dp.

On the other hand, if my information is correct pricing seems to have gone from €2550 (reasonable) in Japan to €4000 in Europe. That is a bit extreme.

Last edited by pz (20-02-2016 09:51)

SteveKK wrote:

Roland V-Piano?  Physis Piano? The dead Pianoid? I know no other ...

There's a recent thread on the Piano Forum about a revived Pianoid effort.  Still in development.

.   Charles

cpcohen wrote:
SteveKK wrote:

Roland V-Piano?  Physis Piano? The dead Pianoid? I know no other ...

There's a recent thread on the Piano Forum about a revived Pianoid effort.  Still in development.

.   Charles

I didn't give my opinion about Pianoid on the Pianoworld forum, but for me, this Pianoid doesn't sound good at all... I can't understand all the excitation about these demos.

Last edited by stamkorg (22-02-2016 13:54)

Re: Roland, where they have been, where they are going next, etc.
Sure, their structured adaptive was "modeling" though not "digital", but not all computers have always been "digital" either.

As I see it they wandered into sampling for a while and are trying to "walk back" from that path.
Their current ad copy seems to reflect this, i.e. they are trying to show continuity while admitting that they have produced products that "play back recordings of instruments".
{Just my take on it, call it ambiguous if you like, or talking out of both sides of their corporate mouths}

Also, they underwent a change of ownership a couple of years ago - there is speculation that there may be some change(s) in direction(s), as there is with the new owners of Steinway.

Anyway, I still like my U-220

Last edited by aandrmusic (24-02-2016 19:03)

SuperNATURAL Piano Overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zHr5-aDNI