Re: Audio Quality is Terrible

Qexl wrote:

Heya, np.

Thanks, hadn't heard that.. like opening a fresh can of genuine 1980s ha!

Convincing and enjoyable. Kind of touching too - opening with his father Waylon - then some really good Morodor stuff (incl. a Freddy Mercury co-write among other interesting things)..

Shooter Jennings I can admire, not just settling into an obvious path - unusual and I like that.

I've chatted with him, he's a genuinely nice guy, great sense of humour too

Has anyone here tried any humanizing algorithms on those classical midi files?

Props - indeed seems a cool guy.

Heh, from 80s music to humanizing.. whoa, we are approaching the 90s!

Beginning from this position.. not sure of you're specific goal with humanizing ..

Def. if you kicked off a new topic for it, with specifics about the kind of thing you're aiming to do.. it could be seen by people interested in that.

In the past people have posted their own tools/scripts and interesting things here. I do remember some pretty cool things (but couldn't find those threads in the forum search - maybe others might luck out).

Was cooking with Max in Ableton for a while with composing and adding/breaking things up in different ways with it.

Never have really gone to lengths with classical performances in terms of automating outcomes. Kind of an interesting thing to try tho. I'm kind of precious with that side of things - and as long as you're not chopping up the Mona Lisa to make fast food wrappers IDK - make sure you're avoiding opening worm cans - unless they're ear worms, those are unforgettable

Depending on what your focus is, part of the trouble I find (I have some 25min pieces) is that over long pieces at least, there's no metronome or old MIDI ways to really stick rails on a performance with some already baked in human factors, which can vary from the 1st to the last in 25min or so works. If the performance is lacking in some places..

.. applying some comping techniques, for like chopped sections... maybe you could apply subtle 2% values, print each iteration and keep going.. or just redo/undo small humanization routines on those sections.

But I get back to thinking.. maybe processing entire (esp. longer) classical pieces can often be best handled, zoomed in, working by hand. Just like I say, not sure what you're wanting to do - hoping some of that helps in your decision making - good luck there PlacboMessiah!

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

PlaceboMessiah wrote:

I have a MBP M3 Max with 64gigs RAM, a corning fibre optic TB3 cable to a brand new UA Apollo X8, and a brand new set of Adam Audio A77H's. My main controller is an 88 key hammer-action Roland. I have spent years perfecting the velocity curve for that thing in Pianoteq. I typically run the Pianoteq engine at 48k and my global sample frequency is 96k.

I practice on a cheap slightly out of tune short upright piano at work every day and a crappy Yamaha MX61, and frankly Pianoteq sounds as anemic and lifeless as that old Yamaha.

It sounds like a toy. Before, when I had my awful Mackie HR824 monitors, I was more than willing to blame the lacklustre fidelity on them.
Turns out it wasn't the monitors.
I typically disable the pianoteq reverb, delay, & limiter. If I want a room sound, I'll usually choose a reasonable sized rehearsal space in Altiverb, and set the speaker positions to max left-right and the closest proximity.
I've tried many different mic configurations with the Steinway etc and the thing still sounds like a ball-less scrotum compared to the little upright piano at work.
Is there a trick for coaxing a decent sound out of this thing?

Could you please share your velocity curve? Im also having a pha-4 action roland, and I just couldnt find the best one.
cheers!

Pablo24 wrote:
PlaceboMessiah wrote:

I have a MBP M3 Max with 64gigs RAM, a corning fibre optic TB3 cable to a brand new UA Apollo X8, and a brand new set of Adam Audio A77H's. My main controller is an 88 key hammer-action Roland. I have spent years perfecting the velocity curve for that thing in Pianoteq. I typically run the Pianoteq engine at 48k and my global sample frequency is 96k.

I practice on a cheap slightly out of tune short upright piano at work every day and a crappy Yamaha MX61, and frankly Pianoteq sounds as anemic and lifeless as that old Yamaha.

It sounds like a toy. Before, when I had my awful Mackie HR824 monitors, I was more than willing to blame the lacklustre fidelity on them.
Turns out it wasn't the monitors.
I typically disable the pianoteq reverb, delay, & limiter. If I want a room sound, I'll usually choose a reasonable sized rehearsal space in Altiverb, and set the speaker positions to max left-right and the closest proximity.
I've tried many different mic configurations with the Steinway etc and the thing still sounds like a ball-less scrotum compared to the little upright piano at work.
Is there a trick for coaxing a decent sound out of this thing?

Could you please share your velocity curve? Im also having a pha-4 action roland, and I just couldnt find the best one.
cheers!

This is the map I've settled on for regular pianos, I have another one I use on that controller with the electrics. The mechanism on this controller is the "PHA-Alpha II"

http://gofile.me/6fCJB/gYsZ1nwdC

(screenshots)
http://gofile.me/6fCJB/MHWbBGWzi
http://gofile.me/6fCJB/yFuBaODVW
http://gofile.me/6fCJB/hASJxo0p4